PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way WE could nab Jamison?

Anthem
02-13-2010, 06:41 PM
If the Wiz are having a fire sale, I'd love it if we could be a part of it. I know we need to clear some tax space for next year, but is there any way to do that and still net Jamison?

I think he'd work pretty well between Danny and Roy.

Hicks
02-13-2010, 06:42 PM
Apparently part of the reason the Dallas/Washington trade ended up the way that it did was so WAS could keep Jamison. I don't think he's going anywhere next week.

count55
02-13-2010, 06:47 PM
No, we don't have the expiring contracts and we don't have any youth that has any value in the league, possibly excluding Hibbert.

They won't take Murphy, and Jamison will be owed $15mm at the age of 35 in 2012, further kicking the can down the road.

Even if we had the assets, it would be a pretty shortsighted move that wouldn't even bring much in the way of short term success.

EDIT: Washington could still deal Jamison, but I believe they're asking the moon for him. I've seen some stuff floating around implying that that were asking more for him than people though Amare would command, but it's all just speculation at this point.

cinotimz
02-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Sure. If you were willing to offer them a package that included Granger.

count55
02-13-2010, 07:28 PM
...but, I like Jamison a lot. What I've heard about his locker room presence and qualities as a teammate is reminiscent of what I thought Jarrett Jack brought to the team, in that regard.

And, he's a pretty decent player.

vnzla81
02-13-2010, 08:11 PM
for what?:confused:

avoidingtheclowns
02-13-2010, 08:23 PM
...but, I like Jamison a lot. What I've heard about his locker room presence and qualities as a teammate is reminiscent of what I thought Jarrett Jack brought to the team, in that regard.

And, he's a pretty decent player.

True -- it's too bad the price tag is so problematic.

I remember an interesting story about Antawn mentoring Andray Blatche - I think it was around the time when Andray was arrested by an undercover cop. I can't find it anywhere, though.

Lance George
02-13-2010, 08:26 PM
What would be our reasoning for going after Jamison? He's not getting us the playoffs this year so there's no short-term incentive. He's pushing 34 and is already showing signs of regressing so there's really no long-term incentive.

count55
02-13-2010, 08:46 PM
True -- it's too bad the price tag is so problematic.

I remember an interesting story about Antawn mentoring Andray Blatche - I think it was around the time when Andray was arrested by an undercover cop. I can't find it anywhere, though.

Yeah, I can remember vaguely a story about a road trip. The Wiz bus would take two trips to get to the arena. One would be a few hours before game time, and players who wanted to get extra work in on their game would take that one over. The second trip would be the normal arrival time.

I don't remember the exact story, but IIRC, Blatche (a couple years ago) ran into Jamison, when Jamison was going to get on the first bus. Jamison asked Blatche where his gear was, and Blatche basically said, "Nah, man, I'm coming over on the regular bus."

Jamison more or less said, "Look, dumbass, I've been in the league 10 years, and I'm averaging a double-double. If I still have part of my game to work on, then you sure as hell do, too."

I tried to google it, but the damn gun stuff fills up like the first eight pages.

That might not be the exact right story, but I think it's more or less on point.

Smoothdave1
02-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Pacers wouldn't mind a Jamison from a few years ago. But Jamison has another couple of years and about 28 million on his deal. If he were 25 or we were a player away from competing for a title, it might make sense.

Jamison makes more sense to a team like Cleveland, San Antonio, Denver, Boston, etc.

avoidingtheclowns
02-13-2010, 08:59 PM
....count being correct....

Found it ... it's about halfway into the post. This is from April 11, 2007.

Same old feeling

...Speaking of Blatche. I witnessed a funny but telling exchange between Jamison and Blatche before the game. Blatche was sitting at his locker with about 45 minutes left before tip when Jamison walked over to his spot two stalls way and started playfully eyeballing Blatche. Finally, Blatche looked up.

Jamison to me: "What time is it?

Me to Jamison: "It's like 6:15"

Jamison, turning his attention to Blatche: "You were an all star this year or something?"

Blatche says nothing. Smiles, knowing where this is going.

Jamison: "You making 15 or 16 million or something like that?

Blatche: "No." More smiling.

Jamison: "Then why did you come over on the second bus? I ain't coming over on the second bus. Why you coming over on the second bus."
(Aside: The team can take two buses to the arena from the hotel. The first comes over early so guys can get in some early shooting, a lift, treatment, whatever. The second comes later.)

Jamison, continuing: "I've been in the league nine (darn) years and I've never come over on the second bus. OK, maybe in Dallas a couple of times because I wanted out of there. I'm never on the second bus. Why you on the second bus."

Blatche: nodding. smiling. saying nothing.

Translation: If you want it young fella, you better come get it. At least that's how I read the situation.

Ivan Carter (WaPo - Wizards Insider) (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2007/04/same_old_feeling.html)

atc 1 - interwebs 0

Infinite MAN_force
02-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Trading for a 35 year old power forward makes absolutely zero sense for this team at this point in time. Inevitably it would cost us youth or picks, and we would receive a player with probably a maximum of two productive NBA seasons left. We aren't exactly one piece away from a championship here. A move like that would be totally counter productive to a rebuild.

jeffg-body
02-13-2010, 09:58 PM
As much as I like Jamison's game, he is just too old and too expensive for this team at this point in their development. What we need to do is aquire a young and talented big with potential somehow, rather that be through trade somehow, the draft next year of through FA signing. I would look for someone that is languishing another teams bench being stuck behind a veteran who is adequately playing well enough to keep his job. Anyone have any ideas?