PDA

View Full Version : Shaq mentions Smits in the same breath as Hakeem, Ewing, Duncan, and Robinson

Trader Joe
02-13-2010, 05:28 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?page=windhorstshaq-100212

Brian Windhorst

"Don't let them double-team me and make it a him versus me thing," O'Neal said. "Been doing it 18 years straight. Hakeem, Ewing, Rik Smits (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=795), [Tim] Duncan, [David] Robinson, the best of the best, straight up. I never doubled nobody. Nor have I ever asked for a double-team. If want to bang and push, let's bang and push. You're all giving away [Superman] titles, it's crazy."

Pretty heavy praise, and an interesting article on what Shaq thinks of Dwight Howard. I gotta say I do agree with Shaq in the sense that I don't think Howard is anywhere close to young Shaq who was virtually unstoppable on the offensive end, which is not true of Dwight.

sweabs
02-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Read your random thoughts (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=959039&postcount=298), young gun! ;)

Trader Joe
02-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Read your random thoughts (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=959039&postcount=298), young gun! ;)

I thought it deserved its own thread since it was Pacers related...

McKeyFan
02-13-2010, 05:33 PM
Shaq is a lot bigger too.

I thought Dwight was big until I saw him beside Shaq the other night. Has there ever been an All-Star bigger than Shaq?

Thesterovic
02-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Dwight is a better athlete than basketball player.

Shaq was a very good basketball player, with the fortune of being a great athlete as well.

Anthem
02-13-2010, 06:45 PM
Dwight is a better athlete than basketball player.

Shaq was a very good basketball player, with the fortune of being a great athlete as well.
Not when he was young. He grew up and continually added skills, but when he was in Orlando he was just a bruiser.

Dwight could become as good as Shaq if he continues to work.

BlueNGold
02-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Shaq was a far more dominant player than Dwight Howard. For those who think Howard is young (and he is), Shaq was only one year older when he entered the league. ...a year when he averaged 3.5 blocks and scored 23.5ppg...doubling both of those stats compared to Howard's first year with the same team.

After Shaq's first year, his blocks continued to be better than Howard even though teams stopped trying to challenge him. Howard has never averaged even 3 blocks to this day.

In Shaq's second year, he averaged nearly 30ppg. Howard had just over half that for his sophomore year. Howard isn't even scoring 20ppg this season. He's not only smaller and hardly as imposing, he's not nearly as talented offensively.

Anyway, Shaq was so dominant he influenced the way the league operated. He influenced many trades. Teams game plan around Howard certainly, but with Shaq almost everything revolved around slowing him and acquiring big enough bodies. He probably changed/influenced the league more than any player in my lifetime.

BlueNGold
02-13-2010, 07:09 PM
Shaq is a lot bigger too.

I thought Dwight was big until I saw him beside Shaq the other night. Has there ever been an All-Star bigger than Shaq?

Yao?

esabyrn333
02-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Yao?

Taller yea but not bigger.

Tom White
02-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Shaq is either being very polite to Rik, or he has forgotten the last game of the finals in 2000. He outscored Smits 32-3 in that game. Not much of a challenge.

Wylder1324
02-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Kind of unfair to use that last game as a comparison to what Smits brought to the table.....at that point in his career his feet had failed him almost completely.

Tom White
02-13-2010, 08:24 PM
Kind of unfair to use that last game as a comparison to what Smits brought to the table.....at that point in his career his feet had failed him almost completely.

I understand that, but I still feel that Smits didn't hold a candle to the others mentioned. Do you remember a game in which Rik battled Shaq evenly? In addition, it was generally Davis who was charged with trying to guard Shaq.

vnzla81
02-13-2010, 08:25 PM
Anyway, Shaq was so dominant he influenced the way the league operated. He influenced many trades. Teams game plan around Howard certainly, but with Shaq almost everything revolved around slowing him and acquiring big enough bodies. He probably changed/influenced the league more than any player in my lifetime.

yes I agree with this, players like Scott Pollard should send part of their paychecks to Shaq, the only reason he was in the NBA was to foul Shaq.

BlueNGold
02-13-2010, 08:42 PM
yes I agree with this, players like Scott Pollard should send part of their paychecks to Shaq, the only reason he was in the NBA was to foul Shaq.

Remember the three-headed monster in Chicago? Who were they? Bill Wennington was another who owes Shaq some dough.

vnzla81
02-13-2010, 08:45 PM
Remember the three-headed monster in Chicago? Who were they? Bill Wennington was another who owes Shaq some dough.

yeah, every team had a useless big who was getting pay to foul Shaq, Austin C got the big contract because the pacers tought that he was going to be the "Shaq stopper" :laugh:

Smoothdave1
02-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Shaq is either being very polite to Rik, or he has forgotten the last game of the finals in 2000. He outscored Smits 32-3 in that game. Not much of a challenge.

Shaq was in his prime at age 28 and Rik was all but retired by that point with bad feet. Shaq recognizes that Smits had a good career as evidenced by the many series between the Magic & Pacers in the mid to late 1990's.

Hicks
02-13-2010, 08:56 PM
yeah, every team had a useless big who was getting pay to foul Shaq, Austin C got the big contract because the pacers tought that he was going to be the "Shaq stopper" :laugh:

Not at all. No one ever thought he would be a matchup for Shaq. He got his money playing well against Robert Horry.

BlueNGold
02-13-2010, 08:58 PM
I'm glad we traded Antonio Davis back in 1999 for that Bender Shaq-stopper...

Trader Joe
02-14-2010, 12:17 AM
I understand that, but I still feel that Smits didn't hold a candle to the others mentioned. Do you remember a game in which Rik battled Shaq evenly? In addition, it was generally Davis who was charged with trying to guard Shaq.

He was talking about offensive players...

02-14-2010, 12:19 AM
Respect the avatar!

Smits' number belongs in the rafters.

Sollozzo
02-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Not when he was young. He grew up and continually added skills, but when he was in Orlando he was just a bruiser.

Dwight could become as good as Shaq if he continues to work.

Not true. Shaq was far more than just a bruiser in his early Orlando days. He had crazy skills from the moment he first stepped on an NBA court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umPHTgfM84o

That video is from 1994, Shaq's second season in the league. Look at the impeccable footwork in the video. Look at the post moves. Look at the offensive awareness. That's someone who has crazy basketball talent and IQ, not someone who is just a bruiser. You don't average 29 points in your second NBA season if you're just a bruiser.

Dwight will never be able to hold a candle to what Shaq did on the offensive end. Shaq in his second season had far more offensive skills than Howard will ever have. Howard is averaging 18 points a game in his 6th NBA season. When Shaq was in his 6th season, he was eating people for breakfast on the offensive end and had been doing it for quite some time. In fact, Shaq didn't even average under 20 until his 15h season in the league. Howard is good, but he will never be on Shaq's offensive level. Then again, few big men ever will.

Kegboy
02-14-2010, 08:56 AM

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/199505290IND.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLhIn3_v8CM</EMBED></EMBED>

clownskull
02-15-2010, 02:15 AM
Not true. Shaq was far more than just a bruiser in his early Orlando days. He had crazy skills from the moment he first stepped on an NBA court.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umPHTgfM84o

That video is from 1994, Shaq's second season in the league. Look at the impeccable footwork in the video. Look at the post moves. Look at the offensive awareness. That's someone who has crazy basketball talent and IQ, not someone who is just a bruiser. You don't average 29 points in your second NBA season if you're just a bruiser.

Dwight will never be able to hold a candle to what Shaq did on the offensive end. Shaq in his second season had far more offensive skills than Howard will ever have. Howard is averaging 18 points a game in his 6th NBA season. When Shaq was in his 6th season, he was eating people for breakfast on the offensive end and had been doing it for quite some time. In fact, Shaq didn't even average under 20 until his 15h season in the league. Howard is good, but he will never be on Shaq's offensive level. Then again, few big men ever will.

i agree 100%. shaq already had several ways to get teams. when his name was called on draft day, i believe he was already 303 lbs. and he looked skinny in comparison to what he became later. when he started getting serious with weight lifting by his 3rd year, he was going about 330. making an already unfair advantage even more so. i have never seen and probably never will again see a guy with his attributes: bigger than really big size, great quickness, unmatchable strength and weight. he could wear out other bigs so easily just using his ultra-massive frame and force them to use all their strength and energy just trying to bang around with him in the paint. if he caught the ball within about 5 feet of the rim, it was almost an automatic monster jam unless he got clobbered first. never seen a guy so unstoppable near the rim like him.

Unclebuck
02-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Shaq's comments are wrong. The Magic doubled Rik Smits a lot in the 1995 ECF.

Yeah Shaq was the most dominant player I have ever seen. Not the best but the most dominant.

What Shaq did to the Pacers in the '00 finals had a much bigger impact that what Jordan did to the Pacers in the 1998 ECF

ChicagoJ
02-15-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm glad Shaq remembers the 1994-1995 version of Smits better than most Pacers fans do.

Sollozzo
02-15-2010, 12:19 PM
I'm glad Shaq remembers the 1994-1995 version of Smits better than most Pacers fans do.

Agreed. Rik completely outplayed Ewing in the Knicks series that year. Reggie obviously gets the accolades for that game 1 win, but the only reason we were remotely in that game is because Rik DOMINATED Ewing, outscoring him 34-11. That Knicks series was maybe the best playoff series of Rik's career.

Rik also torched the MVP admiral in San Antonio that season.

d_c
02-15-2010, 12:24 PM

Absolutely. Smits was a guy who opposing teams actually had to gameplan around. He commanded constant double teams. He was a genuine matchup problem. He's a guy who had a greater affect on the game than what his stats show.

Unclebuck
02-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Agreed. Rik completely outplayed Ewing in the Knicks series that year. Reggie obviously gets the accolades for that game 1 win, but the only reason we were remotely in that game is because Rik DOMINATED Ewing, outscoring him 34-11. That Knicks series was maybe the best playoff series of Rik's career.

Rik also torched the MVP admiral in San Antonio that season.

The Knicks never doubled Rik, and the pacers in '94 '95 under Brown did double Ewing a fair amount of the time. At no time was Rik a better player than Ewing. The Magic almost always doubled Rik.

Offensively Rik was within striking distance of Ewing, Duncan and Robsinson. Rik was at least a notch below but he held his own. (don't forget most of the time Dale guarded the other teams best low-post player (Ewing was the only exception)

But defensively Rik should never be in the same discussion as TD, EW and DR - not even close to the same discussion

Unclebuck
02-15-2010, 01:43 PM
Absolutely. Smits was a guy who opposing teams actually had to gameplan around. He commanded constant double teams. He was a genuine matchup problem. He's a guy who had a greater affect on the game than what his stats show.

The Knicks rarely if ever doubled him. Yeah most teams tried to get Rik into foul trouble early and it usually worked -

I would argue that Dale Davis had a greater affect on the game than did Rik. Dale was more valuable.

In fact during the '94 and '95 seasons Rik's best years before his terrible feet starting acting up, I would say that McKey, Reggie and Dale were all more valuable than Rik was.