PDA

View Full Version : For those who keep saying that Pippen and Danny are similar

vnzla81
02-13-2010, 01:51 PM
I been having this argument with some people over the years were they keep telling me that Danny and Pippen are pretty similar some guys are saying this because they either never got to see him play(to young) and because Pippen had the best player ever playing with him and don't recognize that Scottie in his prime was one of the best players in the NBA at times he was second after Michael, here are some videos( I could not post them the right way)to show some people the beast and amazing player he was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wl8Y6k16mgg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tObgS6uUVjQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyzx6ISXQGw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/user/Scottie33Pippen#p/u/0/N9vFHYVXtRk

Kstat
02-13-2010, 01:58 PM
who says pippen and Granger are similar? I havent seen anybody say that here.

d_c
02-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Amazing player with amazing versatility. Could play point forward and defend 4 positions. Can't believe that people forget how good he was.

who says pippen and Granger are similar? I havent seen anybody say that here.
It's been mentioned, along with Granger being similar to Paul Pierce.

vnzla81
02-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Amazing player with amazing versatility. Could play point forward and defend 4 positions. Can't believe that people forget how good he was.

I feel the same way that is the reason why I opened this thread.

Kstat
02-13-2010, 02:07 PM
I would think anybody that watched him brutalize Mark Jackson in 1998 would know. That was arguably his finest defensive performance ever.

vnzla81
02-13-2010, 02:09 PM
I keep saying that Pippen is always going to be underrated because he was second to Jordan.

Kstat
02-13-2010, 02:12 PM
well 2nd to Jordan is what he was. But everyone in the NBA was 2nd to Jordan. Pippen was still the best SF of his generation.

vnzla81
02-13-2010, 02:16 PM
well 2nd to Jordan is what he was. But everyone in the NBA was 2nd to Jordan. Pippen was still the best SF of his generation.

yes I agree, he was the second best player in the NBA when Jordan was playing, I even forgot how good he was and few times I thought that Dannys game was similar:blush:

d_c
02-13-2010, 02:21 PM
I would think anybody that watched him brutalize Mark Jackson in 1998 would know. That was arguably his finest defensive performance ever.

You wouldn't be able to do that to anyone these days with the new handchecking rules (notice how lacking the PG defense has been lately in the playoffs), but still an amazing player defensively who could score 20 ppg playing in a slow paced offense at the same time.

Kid Minneapolis
02-13-2010, 02:21 PM
Pippen *was* very good. Very nice video clips. But... it's also a lot easier to look even better when you have good players around you. Granger doesn't have Jordan, Kukoc, Rodman, etc... around him. Kukoc was a damn good player, too.

There's nothing wrong with saying two players are similar. Similar doesn't mean identical. It's not a huge stretch to say that Granger and Pippen have similar styles. Of course they're not identical, and sure, Pippen's place in history is obviously way more established than Granger. But... would it be if he didn't play alongside the greatest player of all time? There's plenty of players of Pippen's caliber who never will see a championship or the Hall of Fame because they never had the caliber of team around them. I mean let's face it... this year's Indiana Pacers squad isn't exactly the '98 Bulls.

That said, I do think Pippen was a better all-around player than Granger. Pippen could run the floor like a greyhound, was a better passer. But I also wouldn't say they weren't "similar". They were more similar than different. It's not like we're saying Danny Granger and Spud Webb are similar.

d_c
02-13-2010, 02:23 PM
There's plenty of players of Pippen's caliber who never will see a championship or the Hall of Fame because they never had the caliber of team around them.

Someone like Chris Mullin who wasn't on a championship team and didn't play next to an elite level talent has a shot at the HOF based on his own merits. Most basketball observers understand the contributions a guy made to the game, regardless of who his teammates were at the time he played.

Kstat
02-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I don't think theyre even similar. They play the same position. Other than that, I'm not seeing it.

If Granger is similar to Pippen, about 20 other SFs from the last two decades are too.

That's lowering the bar a bit, IMO.

Kid Minneapolis
02-13-2010, 02:29 PM
Well, I gave my opinion, and you gave yours, lol. :) Doesn't mean either one of us are right. I see similarities, you see none. Just goes to show how perceptions differ. Still think y'all are confusing similar with identical.

Pacersfan46
02-13-2010, 03:17 PM
I have seen people on here claim Granger is like Pippen. Even got in to a pretty lengthy argument about it, as I recall. I don't see how if you put Granger on that team after Jordan retired to play baseball, how they'd win 55 games and stay contenders. Not even close.

Pippen was a good offensive player, and a terror on the defensive end of the court. Granger is a better shooter but he barely registers on the defense side. Even on offense, Pippen could play PG, get to the rim, pass well and create problems. A lot of things Granger dreams about doing.

Pippen would have amassed an amazing career, with or without Jordan.

-- Steve --

vnzla81
02-13-2010, 03:48 PM
I remember the time that Charles Barkley was telling MJ that if he had Pippen on his team he could have won six championships too.

Kstat
02-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Most likely in jest, but they certainly would have won a few.

Kstat
02-13-2010, 03:54 PM
BTW, if I had to compare Granger to anybody, it would be Glen Rice.

Ganger's already attempted half as many threes in 4 1/2 years as Pippen did over 17 years.Offensively, defensively, I don't see how they are alike at all.

If I had to go back a bit, he plays sort of like Kiki Vandeweghe without the three-pointer.

PaceBalls
02-13-2010, 04:10 PM
BTW, if I had to compare Granger to anybody, it would be Glen Rice.

Ganger's already attempted half as many threes in 4 1/2 years as Pippen did over 17 years.Offensively, defensively, I don't see how they are alike at all.

If I had to go back a bit, he plays sort of like Kiki Vandeweghe without the three-pointer.

Hah... sad but true. Quit destroying our fantasy Kstat.

Dece
02-13-2010, 05:03 PM
Granger is a Shard Lewis clone, as I've said since the first insane people starting comparing him to Pippen.

Kstat
02-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't think he's quite that soft. I think he can be and has proven to be a #1 scorer.

littlerichard54
02-13-2010, 05:12 PM
I didn't think people we comparing to him Pippen as far as skill-set goes. I thought they simply meant he was a great secondary star on a team (like Pippen to Jordan). I don't think they have the same skills.

BlueNGold
02-13-2010, 05:17 PM
Don't want to take much away from my favorite Pacer, but Pippen is HOF material...and Granger is barely all-star material.

While Danny is a better shooter, Scottie had better court awareness and was a much better defensive player...and had a much better handle allowing him to get to the rim for dunks more easily. I think Pippen was quicker as well. Pippen really had no weakness. He could have played PG with his ball handling and passing skills...although he never did that so I really can't say that with certainty....but he was still much better with the ball than Danny.

I watched him play hundreds of times...and at times Pippen looked better than Jordan.

As for Rice, I think Danny's a better overall player. He's probably somewhere between Pippen and Rice...probably closer to Rice. Rice had a good career as well...and was dominant at times too. No where near Pippen though.

IUfan4life
02-13-2010, 10:17 PM
I don't think theyre even similar. They play the same position. Other than that, I'm not seeing it.

If Granger is similar to Pippen, about 20 other SFs from the last two decades are too.

That's lowering the bar a bit, IMO.

they sorta look alike.

also when danny granger gets a sportsnation posterization title then we can talk

Frostwolf
02-13-2010, 10:59 PM
The Pippen comparisons were only merited when they were in context of Danny being a "Pippen" to a "Jordan." Definitely not when we compare them one to one on their basketball skills.

Some people made outlandish claims, but there's also being a lot of taking words out of context here.

jeffg-body
02-13-2010, 11:12 PM
Don't you think we are judging Danny in his body of work way too quickly in comparing him to one of the great players that came from this league. Danny's career is possibly not even half-finished and we are judging him against a full career. Let him play his 8-10 more years and then compare him to the greats. Hopefully soon we will see what kind of player Danny can be with a talented cast around him in the next few years.

Peck
02-14-2010, 03:10 AM

Indeed he did.

Well that is until he hit the wall....:D