PDA

View Full Version : Wizards probably trading Caron Butler to Dallas for Josh Howard

Lance George
02-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Not 100% confirmed, but it sounds about 98% there. Deshawn Stevenson is also going to Dallas, with Mav filler (Q. Ross or Tim Thomas) going to Washington.

From Adrian Wojnarowski's Twitter (http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA):

Wizards near completion of trade that sends Caron Butler and DeShawn Stevenson to Dallas for Josh Howard and one other player, source says.
11 minutes ago from UberTwitter

The Wiz and Mavs still discussing whether Quinton Ross or Tim Thomas will go Washington with Howard, league source says.
5 minutes ago from UberTwitter

Yahoo reported overnight that trade was in advanced talks but Dallas backed away for a bit. Mavs returned to today to get it done.
3 minutes ago from UberTwitter

pwee31
02-12-2010, 06:24 PM
hmm so much for Haywood being added. Butler should be able to really help the Mavs

Hicks
02-12-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm changing the thread title since it's not a done deal.

pwee31
02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
another tidbit

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA

Butler is going to Dallas, but Wiz and Celts will continue to discuss a scaled down deal for Jamison, source says. Boston still interested.

Anthem
02-12-2010, 07:24 PM
Oh man. Forget what we'd get from Cleveland... we could have traded Z to Washington for Caron Butler!

Hicks
02-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Oh man. Forget what we'd get from Cleveland... we could have traded Z to Washington for Caron Butler!

No, we couldn't have. They're going to get Josh Howard.

pwee31
02-12-2010, 07:38 PM
No, we couldn't have. They're going to get Josh Howard.

I guess it depends on what the Wiz think of Josh Howard. If they just see the expiring, then I see where anthem is coming from. If they expect Josh Howard to be more, then I understand that as well

MyFavMartin
02-12-2010, 08:04 PM
So Wiz get another SG: Foye, Stevenson, Miller, Young, Arenas (pretty much), and now Howard?

and a retread PF (Gooden) while giving up an All-Star and excellent Center.

:brilliant:

Kstat
02-12-2010, 08:05 PM
Howard is a 3.

IUfan4life
02-12-2010, 08:05 PM
let's hope antawn ends up in boston

MyFavMartin
02-12-2010, 08:15 PM
Let me correct myself:

You give up an All-Star SF with good character and a leader of your team for a non-All Star SF OF THE SAME AGE who SMOKES POT WHILE GIVING UP YOUR VERY GOOD STARTING CENTER AND NOT GETTING A QUALITY POST PLAYER BACK!?

Kstat
02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
correction: they give up an all-star SF with another $10 mil left on his deal and get a SF with an expiring contract.

vnzla81
02-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Let me correct myself:

You give up an All-Star SF with good character and a leader of your team for a non-All Star SF OF THE SAME AGE who SMOKES POT WHILE GIVING UP YOUR VERY GOOD STARTING CENTER AND NOT GETTING A QUALITY POST PLAYER BACK!?

Josh howard was an All Star two years ago, Butler was last year,so yeah they are All Star players, I like Howards game more, the only problem is that he is always hurt.

rexnom
02-12-2010, 08:23 PM
Wizards are tanking and making a run at 2010 Free Agents. I think it's a good move. Washington is an underrated city and market. If I was them, I'd hold out for at least a pick or a young prospect for Butler though. If the Mavs don't include Beaubois, I wouldn't do it.

vnzla81
02-12-2010, 08:27 PM
@STEIN_LINE_HQ Deal might not be finalized before Monday, but five main pieces are Josh Howard/Gooden to WAS and Butler/Haywood/Stevenson to Mavs

Tom White
02-12-2010, 08:40 PM
@STEIN_LINE_HQ Deal might not be finalized before Monday, but five main pieces are Josh Howard/Gooden to WAS and Butler/Haywood/Stevenson to Mavs

Someone tell Stein to go work his Pacers contacts now.

OakMoses
02-12-2010, 09:28 PM
We can only hope some team is this desperate/stupid when we have expiring contracts next year.

sportfireman
02-13-2010, 08:59 AM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64660/20100213/mavs_wizards_have_tentative_trade_in_place/

The Mavericks appear to have agreed on the major points of a trade that will send Josh Howard, Drew Gooden, Quinton Ross and James Singleton to Washington for Caron Butler, Brendan Haywood and DeShawn Stevenson.

The deal is not completely done, but a source said that the pieces of the trade have been tentatively agreed upon.

The trade would also require league approval, which could take until after All-Star Weekend.

Howard's contract for 10-11 is a team option, which could yield a payroll savings of $11 million for the Wizards.

Mavs come out in great shape if this goes down........... they've always lacked that toughness which all three of these guys bring.

CableKC
02-13-2010, 11:50 AM
I think that this would only push the Celtics to make a more concerted run at Jamison....which in turn would push the Cavs to make a run at Murphy. :pray:

Thesterovic
02-13-2010, 11:53 AM
Think about how good the Mavs will be now.

Kidd
Terry
Butler
Nowitzki
Haywood

Plus Marion, Gooden, Dampier, and Barea. Thats a very good team. They'll be the #2 team in the West once this goes down.

Tom White
02-13-2010, 11:57 AM
Think about how good the Mavs will be now.

Kidd
Terry
Butler
Nowitzki
Haywood

Plus Marion, Gooden, Dampier, and Barea. Thats a very good team. They'll be the #2 team in the West once this goes down.

I think Gooden is supposed to be one of the players going to Washington.

spreedom
02-13-2010, 12:56 PM
The theory is that Gooden will likely be bought out, in which case I'd fully expect that he'd do an about-face and return to Big D.

This deal, if done as it reads right now, makes Dallas a clear #2 in the West. I think it elevates them above Denver without question.

By the way, is there a better (non-rookie contract) value for a big man right now than Haywood? He's posting about 9/11 with 2 blocks and is making $6M.

Trophy
02-13-2010, 01:00 PM
I'm seeing a bunch of sources that say Singleton is not part of the trade.

It doesn't make much of a difference.

Tom White
02-13-2010, 01:17 PM
I'm seeing a bunch of sources that say Singleton is not part of the trade.

It doesn't make much of a difference.

If spreedom is correct about Gooden, then perhaps Dallas has to include an extra player to make room for his return. I'm not sure how many players the Mavs currently have on their roster, though.

spreedom
02-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Dallas currently (before trade) has 14 I believe. Post-trade (assuming they use their TPE to acquire one more on a side deal) they would have 15, as they're swapping 3 for 4. That would mean that they'd need to either waive one player or make another trade -- I'm assuming in a case like that they'd probably waive one of Singleton or Tim Thomas, depending which players they keep. I'd guess Singleton since Thomas fits a need as a shooter off the bench and has been playing pretty well in limited minutes.

Imagine if the deal goes through as Howard/Gooden/Ross, with Gooden returning?

Kidd/Barea/Beaubois
Butler/Terry/Carroll
Marion/Thomas (though Butler will play a lot of "backup" time here as well)
Nowitzki/Gooden/Najera
Haywood/Dampier/(Oberto?)

That is a scary looking team if you ask me.

McKeyFan
02-13-2010, 04:40 PM
Dallas currently (before trade) has 14 I believe. Post-trade (assuming they use their TPE to acquire one more on a side deal) they would have 15, as they're swapping 3 for 4. That would mean that they'd need to either waive one player or make another trade -- I'm assuming in a case like that they'd probably waive one of Singleton or Tim Thomas, depending which players they keep. I'd guess Singleton since Thomas fits a need as a shooter off the bench and has been playing pretty well in limited minutes.

Imagine if the deal goes through as Howard/Gooden/Ross, with Gooden returning?

Kidd/Barea/Beaubois
Butler/Terry/Carroll
Marion/Thomas (though Butler will play a lot of "backup" time here as well)
Nowitzki/Gooden/Najera
Haywood/Dampier/(Oberto?)

That is a scary looking team if you ask me.

And Carlisle will probably play the best players on the team. Novel.

spreedom
02-13-2010, 04:48 PM
And Carlisle will probably play the best players on the team. Novel.

Yeah, as a Mavericks fan I'm glad to have Coach Carlisle here. Personally I think he's one of the 3 or 4 best coaches in the entire league, current slump notwithstanding.

d_c
02-13-2010, 05:11 PM
FWIW, Drew Gooden is now on his 8th NBA team in 8 years. Don't know if he'll ever play for the Wiz, but if he does then it's his 8th team.

count55
02-13-2010, 05:26 PM
FWIW, Drew Gooden is now on his 8th NBA team in 8 years. Don't know if he'll ever play for the Wiz, but if he does then it's his 8th team.

Something to be vaguely mindful of if we get the 4th pick in this year's draft.

Thesterovic
02-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Something to be vaguely mindful of if we get the 4th pick in this year's draft.

Can you elaborate a little bit? I dont really understand what your saying.

avoidingtheclowns
02-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Can you elaborate a little bit? I dont really understand what your saying.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2700/4354134219_3b4557d7e6_o.png (http://www.nba.com/draft2002/board/index.html)

Thesterovic
02-13-2010, 05:56 PM
So don't draft fat, short, and sad power fowards in the draft? I knew he was drafted #4, but I don't get what he's saying.

Anthem
02-13-2010, 06:44 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2700/4354134219_3b4557d7e6_o.png (http://www.nba.com/draft2002/board/index.html)
Wow, that's ugly. (Healthy) Mike doesn't look nearly so bad when compared to those guys.

Doddage
02-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Wow, that's ugly. (Healthy) Mike doesn't look nearly so bad when compared to those guys.
He does when compared to a (healthy) Yao and (healthy) Nene.

count55
02-13-2010, 08:08 PM

Wow, that draft was a train wreck. I just roughed out the numbers, and those top 7 guys only played in total about 54% of the their theoretically possible games.

Through this point, a player in the league since 2003 could have played about 625 games, give or take a couple.

Gooden played the most games, at 556, but only 51 of them were for the Griz, who drafted him (later traded him for Mike Miller), and, as noted earlier, has bounced around the league.

Dunleavy has played 538 games, but his last 57 have been, without question, impaired.

Yao played 481, and while Nene has finally gotten traction, he's still missed almost 1/3 of the Nuggets' games.

Throw in Jay Williams motorcycle accident, and Skita's birth defects (born without a game, heart, or testicles), and you've got a nightmare draft scenario.