PDA

View Full Version : Rhythm

pacergod2
02-12-2010, 02:11 AM
"The pattern of recurrent strong and weak accents, vocalization and silence, and the distribution and combination of these elements in speech (or basketball)" http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rhythm.

You know guys, there is an underlying sentiment across Pacers fans about the need to develop our youth. I don't know that many of you would argue the fact that this team needs to move on from its present state and into a direction of youthful potential.

We have plenty of young players that we need an observable stance on to know whether they are capable parts to develop around. We have AJ Price, Brandon Rush, Dahntay Jones, Danny Granger, Josh McRoberts, Tyler Hansborough, and Roy Hibbert. That to me sounds like the core of what our team will be in three years (notice the stress of three year development). I think we are clearly getting toward the end of the second year of reconstruction and at least I know who will be around then among the younger players.

I fill this roster with best available talent no matter where we select. If that means Evan Turner at 3, we do it. You place his ability between Brandon Rush and Danny Granger and you have three amazing wings. If this team wants to go small for stretches, you are looking at a fierce line-up. These three players can all average 30-35 minutes a game. More when necessary. When you add a big in Hibbert and a PG in Price, you have something to play together and get into rhythm.

Rhythm... "pattern of recurrent strong and weak accents". This is where stability comes into our lineup. We know the main players. We know the accents in McRoberts and Hansborough. Neither of which are stars, but incredible backups. You give the youth "recurrent" playing time in order to develop some rhythm. You give discipline and opportunity and a young person will amaze you. It will become apparent where there is weakness within the roster and an ability to maneuver to add talent. We realize that we need a starting PF and PG. Price may not be that PG, but he would be a damn good second. We ALWAYS need depth in the front court. So drafting for size is imperative. We add a few pieces to what is there and see what grows from it. Giving any minutes to the veterans other than in a teaching capacity is reckless. Let the team grow. Please. Let them grow.

I heard Kenny Smith tonight mention something about the Spurs roster finding a rhythm. That team is out of whack after being so good for so long. The parts are there but there hasn't been consistency in that roster (amongst backups and injuries to key players) for a couple years. I think this is important, but along with that there needs to be a priority aligning your substitution patterns to complement the talent of the youth. Let them work through their downfalls.

Eventually you will need something to spark the team's confidence I understand. Look at the OKC Thunder where KDurant goes and learns how to play and prioritize defense at Team USA. He plays against better defenders honing his game. He becomes more efficient in that he can defend capably and learn to take more effective shots on offense. This is growth. Danny has the opportunity to improve this summer. Let him. Ask Brandon Rush to see if he can train with another Kansas alum in Paul Pierce. See if Smits is willing to help Hibbert. My job goes beyond the product --- especially on the court for NBA players. This is how players develop themselves. Let them develop a rhythm together.

Sorry for the rant.

Thesterovic
02-12-2010, 11:43 PM
Agreed. However, up and down we do not have enough to make any noise for a while.

Player X/Price (Even though he's very good, we need a star for once at this position)
Player X/Rush (He won't be starting on a championship team unless if he's playing like he did at the end of last year.)
Granger/Jones/Rush
Player X/Hansbrough/McRoberts (Even though I'm sure Josh will be a very nice player in this league, he has no room to play on this team.)
Hibbert/Player X (We need a defensive MONSTER here)

Then this team would be better to watch

Brad8888
02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Agreed. However, up and down we do not have enough to make any noise for a while.

Player X/Price (Even though he's very good, we need a star for once at this position)
Player X/Rush (He won't be starting on a championship team unless if he's playing like he did at the end of last year.)
Granger/Jones/Rush
Player X/Hansbrough/McRoberts (Even though I'm sure Josh will be a very nice player in this league, he has no room to play on this team.)
Hibbert/Player X (We need a defensive MONSTER here)

Then this team would be better to watch

"Player X" must be one heck of a player to be able to start for us at pg, sg, and pf, while coming off the bench as Hibbert's backup at C. He would be a big who could definitely "stretch the floor".

Thesterovic
02-13-2010, 01:17 PM
"Player X" must be one heck of a player to be able to start for us at pg, sg, and pf, while coming off the bench as Hibbert's backup at C. He would be a big who could definitely "stretch the floor".

*removed*

Would it be easier if I put Player X, Player Y, and Player Z? Is this too hard to understand?