PDA

View Full Version : Brad Miller, anyone?

Trophy
02-11-2010, 06:56 PM
I'm not saying to get him now in a trade, but during this offseason.

I'd bring him in for 2 years/10M at most and maybe a 3rd year with a team or player option. I think he would make a good backup to Roy at center if we can either move Jeff or Jeff retires.

I've always liked Brad and he's still playing pretty well. He shoots and is a decent defender as a center and again would make a good backup to Roy.

Thesterovic
02-11-2010, 06:59 PM
I'd love to have him, but he's just another excuse for Jim to not play Josh. He could retire if he wanted to also.

But if we had a real coach I'd love him here. He could also teach Roy a thing or two.

Infinite MAN_force
02-11-2010, 07:59 PM
I have heard in the past that he plans to come back here and play for the minimum when his contract is up. So if that is still the case I am all for it, he would make a great backup to Hibbert.

Of course if Jim is still here he will probably start him, and I will probably explode.

KnicksRGarbage
02-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Contract issues beside the point, but I'd loooooove to have John Salmons.
Just a random thing to throw out. Always kinda liked him in a way. Had some good flashes in the Bulls-Celtics series last year. And I was at the bulls game the other day and it seemed to me that whenever he was in the game he flat out dominated. I personally think Salmons was the reason the bulls won on tuesday.
That is not my reasoning for wanting him but it certainly makes my opinion look a little better.

BornReady
02-11-2010, 08:45 PM
no thanks

GO!!!!!
02-11-2010, 08:50 PM
I must say, he's durable.. consistant, not afraid of the big hits and can hit a 20 footer...

:drool:

PaceBalls
02-11-2010, 09:25 PM
It would be cool if he wanted to come back here and play for really cheap.

Smoothdave1
02-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Miller wants to play in Indy. A few stories that suggest this:

-- Right after Miller was dealt to Indy, he walked into Walsh's office and asked him for an extension because he didn't want to leave Indy

-- I believe that the summer after Miller was dealt and, when the Pacers were playing the Kings, Miller came out and said that after his big contract ended, he wanted to come back to Indy and said that he would be play for the league minimum.

Some of you may know that Brad still lives in Kendalville (Ft. Wayne area) during the off-season and is probably there over the All-Star break. I guess he is spotted and seen in Indy regularly during the summer and has a lot of friends in and around Indy.

If we could get Miller for the minimum, I don't know why we pass this up? He could help tutor Roy, would provide some leadership in the locker room and could take over the Jeff Foster role if Jeff ends up retiring. He might even attract a few fans and Purdue fans to the games too.

vnzla81
02-11-2010, 11:14 PM
no thanks, we already have an slow footed Center/PF who can shoot the three and can't play defense.

Kemo
02-11-2010, 11:18 PM
I would LOVE to have Brad back.. as Roy's backup ..
And honestly, I think it would be one of the SMARTEST P.R. moves that the Pacer's front-office could possibly make... aside from hiring Reggie as a coaching assistant.. lol

I personally know of at the very LEAST .... 10 people right now, who really liked Brad when he last played for us . and it would definitely spark back up their interest in the Pacers again... just due to these older fans actually caring again for the Pacers...

1 example... my grandmother...
Back in the day , everytime we would talk about the Pacers, she would always mention how she liked watching Brad, and was one of her favorites..

I know she would start watching the games more again if he was playing with us once more...

I say , make it happen Larry ...

Trophy
02-11-2010, 11:20 PM
no thanks, we already have an slow footed Center/PF who can shoot the three and can't play defense.

Brad is a pretty good defender though.

jeffg-body
02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
I'd like to see Brad back in a Pacer's uni.

Thesterovic
02-11-2010, 11:22 PM
I have a feeling that Jim would try to start him over Roy 99% of the time. He hates Roy.

vnzla81
02-11-2010, 11:25 PM
I have a feeling that Jim would try to start him over Roy 99% of the time. He hates Roy.

and he can shoot the three, imagine a team with Ford,Dun,Danny,Murphy and Brad

Smoothdave1
02-11-2010, 11:26 PM
I would LOVE to have Brad back.. as Roy's backup ..
And honestly, I think it would be one of the SMARTEST P.R. moves that the Pacer's front-office could possibly make... aside from hiring Reggie as a coaching assistant.. lol

I personally know of at the very LEAST .... 10 people right now, who really liked Brad when he last played for us . and it would definitely spark back up interest in the Pacers again... just due to these older fans actually caring again for the PAcers...

1 example... my grandmother...
Back in the day , everytime we would talk about the Pacers, she would always mention how she liked watching Brad, and was one of her favorites..

I know she would start watching the games more again if he was playing with us once more...

I say , make it happen Larry ...

I agree. I would bring him in as a back-up for Roy, but he could also provide insurance too. I think it would be a good PR move as well. I really think Brad could help a guy like Josh, Roy, Tyler, etc. I mean, we signed Solo for a little more than the minimum, so why not sign Brad for the minmum and have the league pick-up part of his salary? We could have a roster of:

Price, Ford, rookie/fa
Rush, Jones, rookie/fa
Granger, Dunleavy, rookie/fa
Draft pick, player we acquire for Troy, Tyler, Josh
Roy, Miller, Jeff, Solo

Hicks
02-11-2010, 11:29 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/saalGKY7ifU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/saalGKY7ifU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

For anyone who remembers.

Trophy
02-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I'd like to see Brad back in a Pacer's uni.

Then Hicks and I could actually find one.

Anthem
02-11-2010, 11:32 PM
You'd want to move Murphy first, I agree. But if you can get Brad on a reasonable contract, and if he's ok with coming off the bench and contributing to developing Roy Hibbert (both of which I think he would be), then that would be a great signing.

Smoothdave1
02-11-2010, 11:36 PM
I found some more info about my post before:

Brad Miller is happy in Sacramento. He'd be happier, however, with the Pacers for whom he played 1 1/2 seasons. "If it's possible, when I'm done with this, I'll try to finish up there," Miller said. "There won't be an issue of a contract. Whatever it takes. I'll take the minimum." -- Indianapolis Star

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/01/10/truth.rumors.nba/

Mr. Sobchak
02-11-2010, 11:53 PM
Brad is a pretty good defender though.

No. He's not. Maybe at one time he was serviceable, but even that is generous. Right now he moves as slow as an oil tanker docking or old people ****ing...

Roaming Gnome
02-12-2010, 02:04 AM
No. He's not. Maybe at one time he was serviceable, but even that is generous. Right now he moves as slow as an oil tanker docking or old people ****ing...

Thanks for the laugh.... I needed it tonight!

Kraft
02-12-2010, 02:46 AM
I would hate seeing Miller back in a Pacers uniform, actually. Terrible defender, inside and out. Mediocre at best rebounder, with little jumping ability (and it'll only get worse).

His once-solid jumper is at 41 percent this year.

He's a good passer, yes.

The only thing he'd do for the Pacers is appease a few fans who are nostalgic about his season-and-a-half in Indy. That, and take minutes away from Hibbert, of course.

Oh, and another addition ... Hibbert does of course need a backup. But he needs a backup to complement him defensively, not offensively. Someone to sub in when Roy's slow-footedness is an issue. Bench offense can come from somewhere else.

DaveP63
02-12-2010, 07:44 AM
He could help spread the floor...(Ducks and covers:-p...)

Justin Tyme
02-12-2010, 11:38 AM
I found some more info about my post before:

Brad Miller is happy in Sacramento. He'd be happier, however, with the Pacers for whom he played 1 1/2 seasons. "If it's possible, when I'm done with this, I'll try to finish up there," Miller said. "There won't be an issue of a contract. Whatever it takes. I'll take the minimum." -- Indianapolis Star

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/01/10/truth.rumors.nba/

I have always remembered Brad saying that, but I also saw in the last year where Brad is happy in Chicago. It's not that far from his summer home either.

As others, I'd like to see Brad in a Pacers uni b/u to Hibbert.

JayRedd
02-12-2010, 11:43 AM
Dude's a corpse.

travmil
02-12-2010, 11:48 AM
He made those comments about coming back here for cheap when the Pacers were good and had like an 18 out of 20 season streak of making the playoffs. Besides I don't know if I'd buy that he'd play for the minimum when he could have taken a bit less and never left.

Shade
02-12-2010, 11:48 AM
I'd be fine with bringing Brad back for the minimum. We could do a lot worse at back-up C.

danman
02-12-2010, 12:09 PM
We've been waaaay over quota on big men who can't defend away from the basket... for years. Foster could at one time, but that's gone too.

End of the bench, whatever. But we've got several serious problems and Brad doesn't solve any.

Trophy
02-12-2010, 12:40 PM

I'm not saying Brad is a brick wall defender, but his defense can best be compared to Jeff's. Both are able to get some defensive stops and know how to defend the post.

Dr. Awesome
02-12-2010, 12:47 PM
Brad Miller is one of my all-time favorite Pacers. I would love to see him sign back here, especially since he said he'd sign for the league minimum. The problem is Jim O'Brien, he would make it very bitter-sweet for me for reasons already mentioned.

Mr. Sobchak
02-12-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm not saying Brad is a brick wall defender, but his defense can best be compared to Jeff's. Both are able to get some defensive stops and know how to defend the post.

:50cent:

ps: I love this...

Edit: Figure I'd add some substance....Jeff is (was) a very good post defender. Probably one of the best in the league when he was younger. Duncan has said that the player he hates being defended by the most is Jeff. He has extremely quick feet and hands. Have you seen Brad play in the last 3-4 years? Because if you have I don't see how on earth you can remotely compare him to Jeff as a defender. Brad is slow footed and plodding - far worse than Roy and even big Z at this point. Hell, I went to the game on Tuesday and personally watch Earl get into lane and abuse Brad because he was too slow to get over and help.

02-12-2010, 08:12 PM
I'd love to have him, but he's just another excuse for Jim to not play Josh. He could retire if he wanted to also.

But if we had a real coach I'd love him here. He could also teach Roy a thing or two.

[1] We should never have traded him. [2] Josh McRoberts is a journey man who is rumored to have been forced out of Duke.

Thesterovic
02-12-2010, 08:40 PM
[1] We should never have traded him. [2] Josh McRoberts is a journey man who is rumored to have been forced out of Duke, get over it.

Yeah, he's played 6 games for Portland. A real journeyman. I don't think he's the next Wilt Chamberlain, but whenever he's had the chance he has delivered. He's the youngest player on this team, and one of the hardest workers. Combine that with being the most athletic player on the team, and you might have a nice little player for a trade chip or whatever. He plays defense, and blocks shots. He's also getting paid. To do nothing. Because of Jim.

Smoothdave1
02-13-2010, 12:05 AM
He made those comments about coming back here for cheap when the Pacers were good and had like an 18 out of 20 season streak of making the playoffs. Besides I don't know if I'd buy that he'd play for the minimum when he could have taken a bit less and never left.

The comments were made in January 2006 right after the Pacers beat the Kings. The Pacers were right around 18-13 at the time and finished the season at .500 and lost in the first round of the playoffs.

Besides, why wouldn't he want to come back and be an hour and a half from his home? He spends some time in Indy during the summer and has enough money to last him a lifetime. I remember JMV talking about how he saw Miller and Foster at the Metallica show over the summer and Brad and I have a mutual friend who tells me that he comes down to Indy regularly. It won't be a money issue, but I could see him looking at an NBA contender. However, from everything I have read and heard, I think Brad would be happier back in Indiana.

El Pacero
02-13-2010, 12:30 AM
My ex was in the same grade as Brad in Kendallville and her younger brother is still friends & has his number. I went over to his house up North when he was still with the Pacers for a 4th of July party. (It was awesome.)

The year after he was gone from the Pacers, he didn't want to play basketball anymore and wanted to move back home. Then he started playing well and talked about wanting to play back in Indiana someday and be closer to home. I'm not sure it's about winning anymore, but more about being in Indiana... but who knows now. I would love to have him back.

Will Galen
02-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Miller wants to play in Indy. A few stories that suggest this:

-- Right after Miller was dealt to Indy, he walked into Walsh's office and asked him for an extension because he didn't want to leave Indy

-- I believe that the summer after Miller was dealt and, when the Pacers were playing the Kings, Miller came out and said that after his big contract ended, he wanted to come back to Indy and said that he would be play for the league minimum.

Some of you may know that Brad still lives in Kendalville (Ft. Wayne area) during the off-season and is probably there over the All-Star break.

I remembered he said those things and I like him too. However, he said those things before he was traded to Chicago. Chicago and Indy are about equal distance from Kendalville, so since they have a better team and he knows all the guys he'll probably want to stay there.

02-14-2010, 12:17 AM
Yeah, he's played 6 games for Portland. A real journeyman. I don't think he's the next Wilt Chamberlain, but whenever he's had the chance he has delivered. He's the youngest player on this team, and one of the hardest workers. Combine that with being the most athletic player on the team, and you might have a nice little player for a trade chip or whatever. He plays defense, and blocks shots. He's also getting paid. To do nothing. Because of Jim.

[1] I understand there are a lot of Josh McRoberts fans. How could you not like a player who plays like there is no tomorrow every night. I love it. However McRoberts skillset is not there. If he has so much potential, why was he a second round pick? Why did Portland trade him without regard? Why aren't teams inquiring about him if it is apparent we aren't going to play him? [2] McRoberts is a journeyman, he fits the mold perfectly and though he may only be playing for his second team, he will play for many more before his career is over.

I do understand what you are saying, I really do, and I am happy to see that so many fans love a guy with real work ethic. However, the truth remains that while a player may leave nothing on the court and display fantastic athletism the pro-game requires a particular skill level that Josh McRoberts lacks.

Cheers.

P.S., I hope Josh proves me wrong and becomes the next Chris Webber. I really do.

PR07
02-14-2010, 03:12 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if he simply re-signs with the Bulls. Chicago's not that far from where he's from either.

Mr_Smith
02-14-2010, 03:20 PM
The Pacers have been there and done that w/ Brad Miller...no thanks. He's just a slightly upgraded Rasho Nesterovic to me.