PDA

View Full Version : Jim O'Brien will stay how long?

McKeyFan
02-09-2010, 07:46 PM
Choose one of three options.

ksuttonjr76
02-09-2010, 08:27 PM
He'll finish the season...

Sookie
02-09-2010, 08:28 PM
I hope he gets fired at the All Star break. And we get a coach who'll develope the young guys.

Hicks
02-09-2010, 08:28 PM
I'm not 100% sure, but I'm thinking he's done this summer.

Will Galen
02-09-2010, 08:33 PM
He'll start next year and then it will depend how the team plays. Over .500 and he stays, under and he gets replaced.

McKeyFan
02-09-2010, 08:35 PM
He'll start next year and then it will depend how the team plays. Over .500 and he stays, under and he gets replaced.

So I guess Congress has definitely legalized torture?

Justin Tyme
02-09-2010, 08:36 PM

That's how I figure it. BUT how long under .500 b4 being fired is the $64,000 question.

Thesterovic
02-09-2010, 08:39 PM
He'll be here until his contract expires, Bird's too stubborn.

Hicks
02-09-2010, 08:40 PM
While we know Jim has an extension for next season, I wonder how much of it is guaranteed money.....

McKeyFan
02-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Hicks, if you want, go ahead and add another option: "sometime during the 2010-2011 season."

BlueNGold
02-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Times are tight. I said he gets fired next year. He will definitely not be fired this year or over the summer purely because they'd need to pay another coach.

I would not be surprised if he "coaches" until the end of his contract, but I still think he gets fired next year during the season...at an opportune time.

BornReady
02-09-2010, 09:24 PM
realistically or in my dreams?

Bball
02-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Silly McKeyFan... You ask this question and don't actually give the one true answer in the options:

Question: Jim O'Brien will stay how long?
Answer: Too Long

PaceBalls
02-09-2010, 09:34 PM
I'm starting to think Jim will be there as long as Larry is.

Bball
02-09-2010, 09:38 PM
I'm starting to think Jim will be there as long as Larry is.

Didn't Vecsey say Bird was gone after this season?

Justin Tyme
02-09-2010, 09:55 PM
Didn't Vecsey say Bird was gone after this season?

If only one time in Vecsey's life he was correct, let it be this time!

Freddie fan
02-09-2010, 09:55 PM
He'll be here through the end of next season. Here's why:

1. His offense - putting up lots of quick perimeter shots is terrific basketball and is much-appreciated by the knowledgable fans who grew up on basketball in Indiana. It's excitingly inconsistent, for one thing, and has a cozy softness about it that pleases those who feel that action under the basket is sometimes too rough. It is also considerate to the opponent in not making them run around on defense and have to work hard for more than a few seconds each possession, allowing them to save their strength and be at their best late in the game.

2. His defense - it gets better every year with greater emphasis on it, as O'Brien and Bird have explained, yet it still allows plenty of 60 and 70 point halves so that you know you can look forward to the same level of continuing improvement the following season. What's scary to me and should be to the league is the thought of what might happen if O'Brien started actually making decisions on playing time based on who plays good defense. If he unleashes this weapon - and I don't think he will because he's a more considerate person than that - opponents will not look forward to playing the Pacers.

3. His personnel decisions and player development. Murphy over Hibbert. Watson and Ford over Price. Anybody and everybody over Josh McRoberts. This is about consistency and fairness. Jim never stops developing players, even into their late 20s and early 30s. He doesn't get caught up in tangents and trivialities like who plays defense, who scores inside, who passes the ball inside or even who gets the ball inside and passes it out to open 3-point shooters. He continues instead to develop his veterans and anybody with the stones to keep firing up one jumper after another, despite that low shooting percentage and that defender right in his face.

Trophy
02-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Lawrence Frank hired by the Pacers this summer? Please?

Thesterovic
02-09-2010, 09:59 PM

1. His offense - putting up lots of quick perimeter shots is terrific basketball and is much-appreciated by the knowledgable fans who grew up on basketball in Indiana. It's excitingly inconsistent, for one thing, and has a cozy softness about it that pleases those who feel that action under the basket is sometimes too rough. It is also considerate to the opponent in not making them run around on defense and have to work hard for more than a few seconds each possession, allowing them to save their strength and be at their best late in the game.

2. His defense - it gets better every year with greater emphasis on it, as O'Brien and Bird have explained, yet it still allows plenty of 60 and 70 point halves so that you know you can look forward to the same level of continuing improvement the following season. What's scary to me and should be to the league is the thought of what might happen if O'Brien started actually making decisions on playing time based on who plays good defense. If he unleashes this weapon - and I don't think he will because he's a more considerate person than that - opponents will not look forward to playing the Pacers.

3. His personnel decisions and player development. Murphy over Hibbert. Watson and Ford over Price. Anybody and everybody over Josh McRoberts. This is about consistency and fairness. Jim never stops developing players, even into their late 20s and early 30s. He doesn't get caught up in tangents and trivialities like who plays defense, who scores inside, who passes the ball inside or even who gets the ball inside and passes it out to open 3-point shooters. He continues instead to develop his veterans and anybody with the stones to keep firing up one jumper after another, despite that low shooting percentage and that defender right in his face.

Dude, your hilarious. :laugh::laugh:

He's getting Isiah Thomas bad.

Hoop
02-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Unfortunately, he'll probably be here till the end of the season. He can't get out of town fast enough to suit me.

Thesterovic
02-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Jim should be gone in -1.5 years.

gummy
02-09-2010, 10:01 PM

*snipped*

Thanking you was not enough. I need to tell you that was wicked good fun, well done.

clownskull
02-09-2010, 10:25 PM
i'd guess sometime before all star break next season when they are about a dozen (maybe 2 dozen) or so under .500
they will have gotten enough out of the contract by then that firing him won't be as big a money loss as firing him during the summer.
i also suspect that there will be those who actually still go to the games chanting fire o'brien quite loudly. it will be interesting to hear what the broacasters say when the crowd gets loud enough that they can't ignore it.

BlueNGold
02-09-2010, 10:27 PM
I never thought I'd think this, let alone say it.

Zeke is a better coach...unless JOb is trying to lose on purpose.

02-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Jim O'Brien has held this team hostage for far too long. I am sure Jim is a good man, but he is not a good NBA coach.

BlueNGold
02-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Jim O'Brien has held this team hostage for far too long. I am sure Jim is a good man, but he is not a good NBA coach.

Post of the year IMHO.

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 10:30 PM
just like Charles Barkley said, "I think JOB has a picture of Larry Bird doing it with a monkey" that is the only reason why I see Larry staying with this guy.:mad:

McKeyFan
02-09-2010, 10:34 PM
just like Charles Barkley said, "I think JOB has a picture of Larry Bird doing it with a monkey" that is the only reason why I see Larry staying with this guy.:mad:

Barkley said that?

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Barkley said that?

no, he said that about a college coach, I just used that to write about JOB, sorry:blush:

02-09-2010, 10:35 PM

I feel dirty... but you are right.

BlueNGold
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
I feel dirty... but you are right.

Yes, I'm a little ashamed to say it...but it's the truth. The thing with Zeke...he didn't contradict himself all the time. His words were usually backed up by his actions. Maybe they were poor decisions, but you could at least follow the flawed logic. I simply do not understand JOb's decisions.

In contrast, Rick Carlisle always made sense to me. He almost always did what I thought he should be doing....and even when I disagreed with his over-use of JO in the post....I at least knew where he was coming from.

The only thing I'm confident about with JOb is that he will play Troy Murphy...regardless of any evidence that should put him on the bench...or at least temporarily. Not even a test!

d_c
02-10-2010, 12:31 AM

Should be noted JOB beat Zeke in a playoff series where Zeke had the better team. (Yes, JOB actually had a team that got to the playoffs and actually won a playoff series)

Roaming Gnome
02-10-2010, 12:55 AM
While we know Jim has an extension for next season, I wonder how much of it is guaranteed money.....

Yes, this was brought to my attention also this week. It's not like the details were ever spelled out to how much he would receive if O'Brien was broken off at the end of the season. We just all assumed that he would be paid for the whole year, guaranteed.

Roaming Gnome
02-10-2010, 01:00 AM
Unfortunately... Another way to look at this is: We were in every game last year with close to the same players, but this year we had to deal with an injury to a key components like Jeff Foster and had to deal with a sub standard rotation at point guard. Maybe Jim deserves a chance with those parts.

Dear God please don't let it be the above scenario!!!!

graphic-er
02-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Maybe JOB will opt to step down like he did in Philly over Philosophical reasons. I could see this happening if Bird ends up pulling strings from the top during the last month of the season.

Unclebuck
02-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Should be noted JOB beat Zeke in a playoff series where Zeke had the better team. (Yes, JOB actually had a team that got to the playoffs and actually won a playoff series)

Yes, and I wish we had the old threads where probably 80% of the fans posted that JOB outcoached Isiah.

Will Galen
02-10-2010, 09:23 AM

Nonsense! Jim had a .517 coaching record when he came to the Pacers!

As for Isiah, 187-223 with better players.

cinotimz
02-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Yes, and I wish we had the old threads where probably 80% of the fans posted that JOB outcoached Isiah.

What a ringing endorsement that would be.

JOB will be gone within a week after the end of the season.

cinotimz
02-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Nonsense! Jim had a .517 coaching record when he came to the Pacers!

As for Isiah, 187-223 with better players.

Actually Isiah would be the perfect coach for this team. Considering what he was able (or unable) to do with significantly more talent, he would probably have us running neck and neck with New Jersey for the John Wall sweepstakes.

Of course, if he were in charge he wouldve already traded our pick away for Jerome James.

ChicagoJ
02-10-2010, 12:57 PM

Dear God.

Isiah Thomas ran out of timeouts (had to burn one right before the mandatory 10:00 minute television timeout when Ron was having an on-court meltdown) and then subbed Foster for Reggie for rebounding purposes on the final Boston FTs and then realized that he couldn't call timeout or stop the clock to put Reggie back into the game so we had to execute the final play without him.

:dunce:

This box of binder clips on my desk could have outcoached Isiah in that series. Utterly embarassing.

That's not exactly saying much.

Groove1
02-10-2010, 11:24 PM
I disagree Freddie. Sure he does all that, but thats also like saying "I never want to make the playoffs...EVER". Never thought he could get the team fired up before the first whistle, and thats the coach's job. We come out flat, second guess too much, and for the level of talent we have, we should be winning more period.

littlerichard54
02-11-2010, 11:36 AM
I would say Jimmy will start next season for one reason. They will still be paying him, however, I personally believe our next coach is already under contract. IMO, Jimmy will be fired prior the the all-star break next season and Lester Conner will be assigned as interim coach. He is already under contract and that wouldn't require additional salary. If Lester does an admirable job, I believe he will be signed as permanent head coach moving forward. I for one things LC would do a nice job as coach.

Anyone agree, disagree, otherwise?

Peck
02-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I know that this is simplistic and probably will sound like a smart @ss answer even though it is not my intention of being one.

Jim O'Brien will be the coach until he is not.

I have no idea what to expect otherwise.

On the one hand.

The coaching right now is so cartoon villianish bad that I have to believe that Bird is in on it. If Bird is in on it then my thought is he thinks Jim is not to blame and that the combination of injury and poor player chemistry is the problem.

On the other hand.

I have no idea.

If this were Donnie Walsh it would have been easier to predict what would happen however we only have what is going on at current to see what Bird would do.

But really I tend to think at this point the first hand is the issue. I mean the coaching right now is that bad, the player management aspect of the coaching alone is as bad as I've ever seen and that is saying something considering I've seen both Versace & Irvine (twice).

able
02-11-2010, 02:17 PM
simple answer: way way way to long

Roaming Gnome
02-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Judging from the Larry Bird asking for patience thread.... Looks like the hits are just going to keep on coming.

http://mklasing.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/wileecoyote.jpg
Wrong way, Larry!

Peck
02-11-2010, 04:42 PM
I know that this is simplistic and probably will sound like a smart @ss answer even though it is not my intention of being one.

Jim O'Brien will be the coach until he is not.

I have no idea what to expect otherwise.

On the one hand.

The coaching right now is so cartoon villianish bad that I have to believe that Bird is in on it. If Bird is in on it then my thought is he thinks Jim is not to blame and that the combination of injury and poor player chemistry is the problem.
On the other hand.

I have no idea.

If this were Donnie Walsh it would have been easier to predict what would happen however we only have what is going on at current to see what Bird would do.

But really I tend to think at this point the first hand is the issue. I mean the coaching right now is that bad, the player management aspect of the coaching alone is as bad as I've ever seen and that is saying something considering I've seen both Versace & Irvine (twice).

Wow I typed that at lunch break before I even knew the Bird interview existed. I had a feeling that this was the case, I was just really hoping I was wrong.

SMosley21
02-11-2010, 04:55 PM
Times are tight. I said he gets fired next year. He will definitely not be fired this year or over the summer purely because they'd need to pay another coach.

I would not be surprised if he "coaches" until the end of his contract, but I still think he gets fired next year during the season...at an opportune time.

I agree. They'll try to bring in the new coach at the midway point next season to give him half a season to get the team acclimated to his style. Then the following season there will be no excuses to say "the team's getting used to the new coach".