PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford thinks the Cavs will cave.

Dr. Awesome
02-09-2010, 01:23 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/30787

By: Chad Ford(Don't know if I need that for a chat, but here it is anyway.)

Frank (Cleveland)

Recent chatter says the Cavs stay pat at the deadline unless something blows them away... do they need to make that move to take the 'ship?

Chad Ford (1:25 PM)

I don't believe it. I think that's classic posturing at the deadline. Washington and Indiana are asking for A LOT for Jamison and Troy Murphy. I think this is Cleveland's way of saying "If you keep asking for so much, we may not do anything." Problem is, no one believes it. Danny Ferry has been pretty aggressive the past few weeks. They really want to add a stretch four. I think the Cavs will cave and do something. Given Washington's reluctance to trade Jamison, I think Troy Murphy is the most likely candidate.

Dr. Awesome
02-09-2010, 01:24 PM
I think this is very interesting. I'm still not expecting to get Hickson out of the deal, but the fact that he capitalized "A LOT" and still thinks the Cavs will cave is all good news for me. I just hope if push comes to shove, Bird doesn't push too hard and leave us empty handed.

Infinite MAN_force
02-09-2010, 01:27 PM
Z, Powe, Pick, $$$

DOOOOOOOOO IT!

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Biz and pick for Murphy ............DOOOOOOOOOOOO IT

Dr. Awesome
02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
I would love to get Danny Green out of the deal. He's never going to be a starter, but he is a do-it-all kinda player and could be a very valuable bench player down the road.

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Im going to post this here I think

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/30787

vnzla81 (indianapolis)

is TJ Ford going anywhere?

Chad Ford (1:39 PM)

Highly doubt it. He's an expiring contract next season. His trade value will increase dramatically next year.

Unclebuck
02-09-2010, 01:35 PM
I agree with Chad. The Cavs will cave. Not sure about Murphy going to Cleveland though

Thesterovic
02-09-2010, 01:37 PM
Why would they want to change anything? Their the best team in the league, and Troy doesn't help them guard the PnR, and his slouchful personality doesn't fit the swagger of the Cavs.

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 01:40 PM
if I was Cleveland I would keep playing Lebron at the 1, with Mo Williams at the 2, Parker 3, Murphy 4 and Shaq, nobody could stop Lebron at the point and he could either give it to the shooters outside or the big guy inside.

Thesterovic
02-09-2010, 01:41 PM
if I was Cleveland I would keep playing Lebron at the 1, with Mo Williams at the 2, Parker 3, Murphy 4 and Shaq, nobody could stop Lebron at the point and he could either give it to the shooters outside or the big guy inside.

I always did that on NBA 2k10, made LeBron a pg. He is a beast.

CableKC
02-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Why would they want to change anything? Their the best team in the league, and Troy doesn't help them guard the PnR, and his slouchful personality doesn't fit the swagger of the Cavs.
Shhh....don't tell the Cavs that.

I've said this before.....but if there is a Team in the League where Murphy's strengths are highlighted ( jumpshooting 3pt shooting Big Man that can help with Defensive Rebounding ) and his HUGE weaknesses can be hidden/minimized ( solid defensive minded team that does not run a high-octane running offense that has 3 other Big Men that live/work/defend/score in the Low Post and does everytihng that Murphy isn't capable of doing while complimenting a Player like Murphy ), it's the Cavs.

Dr. Awesome
02-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Shhh....don't tell the Cavs that.

I've said this before.....but if there is a Team in the League where Murphy's strengths are highlighted ( jumpshooting 3pt shooting Big Man that can help with Defensive Rebounding ) and his HUGE weaknesses can be hidden/minimized ( solid defensive minded team that does not run a high-octane running offense that has 3 other Big Men that live/work/defend/score in the Low Post and does everytihng that Murphy isn't capable of doing while complimenting a Player like Murphy ), it's the Cavs.

I would say the Magic. Howard/Murphy/Lewis/Carter/Nelson is a ridiculously tall lineup, where like you said, all his strengths will be highlighter while his defense would be masked by Howard.

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 01:51 PM
I would say the Magic. Howard/Murphy/Lewis/Carter/Nelson is a ridiculously tall lineup, where like you said, all his strengths will be highlighter while his defense would be masked by Howard.

yeah, I was thinking the same thing, the problem is that Orlando would have to give up to much to get him, I tried many trades in the trade machine and neither work.

ksuttonjr76
02-09-2010, 02:29 PM

They need another scorer. Last year, they had the best record, and then lost to the Magic. As I stated before, it was basically Lebron vs. Orlando. Lebron almost averaged a triple double and STILL lost in six games. Shaq was a good pickup against Howard, but they still need a more *cough* consistent shooter as possible 3rd/4th option.

Trophy
02-09-2010, 02:30 PM
I can't wait until February 18th is past then we can be done with the same talk.

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 02:32 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/30755/nba-with-john-hollinger

Steve (Indianapolis, IN)

Any chance that the Murphy to Cleveland for Z + Hickson deal still might happen? If not, are there other teams interested in Troy Murphy?

John Hollinger (2:34 PM)

I expect Indy to hold out for a better deal than that and eventually to keep Murphy. They can't sign a replacement if they trade Murphy because they still won't get under the cap, so they really need to get the replacement in the trade.

we don't need a replacement, we already have DJ and Dunleavy

Trophy
02-09-2010, 02:40 PM
http://news-herald.com/articles/2010/02/07/sports/nh2055479.txt

Looks like they won't do anything.

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 02:45 PM

vnzla81 (indianapolis)

could Troy Murphy be traded to San Antonio? do they need a guy like him?

John Hollinger (2:50 PM)

Murphy would be great in San Antonio but I have to wonder what the Spurs could offer. I imagine Indy would ask for George Hill, the Spurs would hang up, and both sides would move on.

count55
02-09-2010, 02:45 PM

This is 2 days old, and it is basically what Ford was refuting. His position is that they're just posturing.

They may or may not do anything, but this report doesn't hold any more weight than what Ford is saying.

Lance George
02-09-2010, 02:46 PM
Did I die and go to a parallel universe in which J.J. Hickson is something other than an average-at-best power forward prospect?

Noodle
02-09-2010, 02:47 PM

All he really said is the Pacers are asking too much for Troy. Then indicated Hickson can't shoot, so make what you want of it.

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 02:49 PM
Did I die and go to a parallel universe in which J.J. Hickson is something other than an average-at-best power forward prospect?

no, you are still here;), I feel the same way, JJ is looking good because he plays with Lebron, the same with every other player on that team.

Trophy
02-09-2010, 02:51 PM
This is 2 days old, and it is basically what Ford was refuting. His position is that they're just posturing.

They may or may not do anything, but this report doesn't hold any more weight than what Ford is saying.

What it appears is that Cleveland is just going to continue with the players they already have.

By now it's all based on opinion on what any team will do.

Trophy
02-09-2010, 02:53 PM
All he really said is the Pacers are asking too much for Troy. Then indicated Hickson can't shoot, so make what you want of it.

If you go to NBA rumors on ESPN, the title clearly says that are rumored to just stay put.

Trophy
02-09-2010, 02:58 PM
http://twitter.com/pdcavsinsider

And on the trade front, the Cavs hoped to have acted by now. But the market is frozen and they aren't close to anything. Still active, tho.

Cleveland rumored to be making a trade is beginning to fade away.

Will Galen
02-09-2010, 03:00 PM
What it appears is that Cleveland is just going to continue with the players they already have.

By now it's all based on opinion on what any team will do.

If the Magic do a trade then I look for Cleveland to do a trade.

d_c
02-09-2010, 03:00 PM

Dude, don't worry so much. You're pretty much doing everything to convince yourself that your Baby Boy isn't going to get traded.

I think it's likely he stays put. Feel better?

Trophy
02-09-2010, 03:04 PM
Dude, don't worry so much. You're pretty much doing everything to convince yourself that your Baby Boy isn't going to get traded.

I think it's likely he stays put. Feel better?

I don't see what you're trying to tell me here. :confused:

I can agree with your second statement. Looks like we're not moving anyone this season.

Trophy
02-09-2010, 03:07 PM
If the Magic do a trade then I look for Cleveland to do a trade.

I think Boston has a better chance of making a trade than the Magic. Boston is looking for a PG and nothing really has been mentioned about Orlando on the search for anyone.

CableKC
02-09-2010, 03:09 PM

vnzla81 (indianapolis)

could Troy Murphy be traded to San Antonio? do they need a guy like him?

John Hollinger (2:50 PM)

Murphy would be great in San Antonio but I have to wonder what the Spurs could offer. I imagine Indy would ask for George Hill, the Spurs would hang up, and both sides would move on.
Ignoring that the Spurs don't have enough Expiring Contracts to make such a deal work...if I could magically make that part go away and simply look at the assets the Spurs have that I'd be interested in.....I'd ask for the draft rights to Tiago Splitter.

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Ignoring that the Spurs don't have enough Expiring Contracts to make such a deal work...if I could magically make that part go away and simply look at the assets the Spurs have that I'd be interested in.....I'd ask for the draft rights to Tiago Splitter.

I think that something could be work out, something similar to the cleveland deal where the Spurs send Manu+Pick for Murphy and the pacers buy him out and let him go back to San Antonio. The Spurs been doing this kind of deals for ever.

wintermute
02-09-2010, 03:59 PM
personally, i think the reason the cavs haven't made a move yet is because they're still holding out hope that they can get jamison. if the wizards won't budge, then and only then would the cavs get serious with negotiating with the pacers. just imo.

Tom White
02-09-2010, 04:02 PM

Who the heck is pdcavsinsider? Does that stand for Pacers Digest Cavs Insider? In other words, is it you? :laugh:

Mr. Sobchak
02-09-2010, 04:06 PM
I believe the PD means Plain Dealer as in the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper...

Kemo
02-09-2010, 04:39 PM
personally, i think the reason the cavs haven't made a move yet is because they're still holding out hope that they can get jamison. if the wizards won't budge, then and only then would the cavs get serious with negotiating with the pacers. just imo.

I agree 100%.. but here's the kicker.....

From everything I have read, Grunsfeld does NOT want to put the Cavs in a position to better themselves.. From the way I take it , there is still quite abit of rivalry/animosity/competitive nature
between the 2 teams, stemming from back when they faced each other in the playoffs..

I REALLY do not think that Washington will let the Cavs get Jamison, unless they totally ravish Cleveland without proper lube... lol

speakout4
02-09-2010, 06:05 PM
A 250 lb. guy playing PG and by the time the playoffs start he will need resucitation.

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 06:30 PM
A 250 lb. guy playing PG and by the time the playoffs start he will need resucitation.

have you seen Lebron playing?:confused:

CableKC
02-09-2010, 06:38 PM
I think that something could be work out, something similar to the cleveland deal where the Spurs send Manu+Pick for Murphy and the pacers buy him out and let him go back to San Antonio. The Spurs been doing this kind of deals for ever.
Ignoring that the Spurs already have a much cheaper version of Murphy in Bonner.....if this were to happen in NBA FantasyLand, I'd hope that the second the ink dries on the deal, Bird would tell the Spurs "We're not going to buy out Manu so that he can rejoin the Spurs, we'd actually use him........no Take-sies Back-sies, we're going to keep Manu and Splitter". Bird would then laugh maniacally then run off :zip: with the Benny Hill theme song playing in the background.

speakout4
02-09-2010, 06:57 PM
have you seen Lebron playing?:confused:
Yes but i don't think he can keep it up at pg.

QuickRelease
02-09-2010, 09:27 PM

Maybe a championship environment would perk him up just a smidge.

PR07
02-09-2010, 11:32 PM
This is good news for the Pacers.

If we can get anything of value long-term for Murphy without taking bad contracts, I think it's a good deal for us. Murphy's not doing anything for us, so we might as well trade him and get some value. I'd be thrilled with Z's expiring, Hickson, and the Cavs' first....but Ford is making it sound like we can get even more.

Tom White
02-10-2010, 09:45 AM
I believe the PD means Plain Dealer as in the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper...

Yeah, I was just having a little fun with Trophy.

Shade
02-10-2010, 10:18 AM
This is good news for the Pacers.

If we can get anything of value long-term for Murphy without taking bad contracts, I think it's a good deal for us. Murphy's not doing anything for us, so we might as well trade him and get some value. I'd be thrilled with Z's expiring, Hickson, and the Cavs' first....but Ford is making it sound like we can get even more.

I would take that and run. No need to get greedy.

ksuttonjr76
02-10-2010, 11:09 AM
I would take that and run. No need to get greedy.

Why not?

Shade
02-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Why not?

Because then you risk blowing the deal altogether. If that offer is on the table, stop haggling and take it.

McKeyFan
02-10-2010, 11:18 AM
Anyone interested in getting Redd from Milwaukee?

dustinpettit
02-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Too injury prone in my opinion. Not young enough to be part of the "long term" plans.

Shade
02-10-2010, 11:21 AM

No. Too injury prone.

Roaming Gnome
02-10-2010, 11:22 AM

Not I...

ksuttonjr76
02-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Because then you risk blowing the deal altogether. If that offer is on the table, stop haggling and take it.

Both teams are playing poker right now, and it's just a matter of who will blink first. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucks/Kings rumor was "leaked" by a Indiana rep to put "pressure" on the Cavs. Have the media tell the story, the Cavs have a hard-on for Murphy.

Speed
02-10-2010, 12:12 PM
Both teams are playing poker right now, and it's just a matter of who will blink first. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bucks/Kings rumor was "leaked" by a Indiana rep to put "pressure" on the Cavs. Have the media tell the story, the Cavs have a hard-on for Murphy.

I think this is pretty likely actually. What need would the Bucks or Kings have for Murphy. They are both in the same boat the Pacers are, except well, better positioned actually with young talent. To me, Murphy makes no since for them and all the sense in the world for the Cavs or any other contending team that can use his specific skills, really.

PacerGuy
02-10-2010, 12:26 PM
I think I like a Donte Green/K.Thomas (exp) deal better, esp w/o a 1st from Cle.

Green is 6'11, while Hickerson is smaller (6'9 - same as Hansbrough). Green seems to give you more options to play more/ different styles. Green also looks to be more offensive then Hickerson, & if we are losing Murph's scoring, I like Green to pair w/ a scrappy non-offensive option in Hansbrough.
If Sac adds their 2nd (currently #39 & non-guarenteed - vs. Cle's #30 guarenteed 1st) & maybe another asset, I move Murph out of the division & get IMO better talent.

Besides, we get 2 PF's in this deal, not 1. We can use KT for the next 30 games, where as Z will just go away.

Sookie
02-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Yes, Z and Hickson for Murph is a really good trade. With the recent PG developements, I'm wondering if the trade talks might be something like

Murphy and Watson for Z Hickson and a Draft pick. On the condition we buy out Z.

Justin Tyme
02-10-2010, 12:55 PM
I think I like a Donte Green/K.Thomas (exp) deal better, esp w/o a 1st from Cle.

Green is 6'11, while Hickerson is smaller (6'9 - same as Hansbrough). Green seems to give you more options to play more/ different styles. Green also looks to be more offensive then Hickerson, & if we are losing Murph's scoring, I like Green to pair w/ a scrappy non-offensive option in Hansbrough.
If Sac adds their 2nd (currently #39 & non-guarenteed - vs. Cle's #30 guarenteed 1st) & maybe another asset, I move Murph out of the division & get IMO better talent.

Besides, we get 2 PF's in this deal, not 1. We can use KT for the next 30 games, where as Z will just go away.

I like your thinking... ALOT!!

Mr. Sobchak
02-10-2010, 01:20 PM
Right now Greene is no more a power forward in the NBA than I am...The dude weighs 225 lbs. He could potentially be played like Rashard Lewis, but first he has to gain some weight.

Edit: I just looked at Lewis' weight and while its similar, he just looks stronger. Plus Greene wouldn't have Howard behind him to mask his deficiencies on defense.

Justin Tyme
02-10-2010, 01:51 PM
Right now Greene is no more a power forward in the NBA than I am...The dude weighs 225 lbs. He could potentially be played like Rashard Lewis, but first he has to gain some weight.

Edit: I just looked at Lewis' weight and while its similar, he just looks stronger. Plus Greene wouldn't have Howard behind him to mask his deficiencies on defense.

How much does Granger weigh playing PF?

I want Donte, b/c he's what the Pacers don't have.... length and athleticism. The Pacers don't have players like that to combat other teams players who are. It doesn't hurt that Donte can play multiple positions in the process either.

SMosley21
02-10-2010, 02:04 PM
How much does Granger weigh playing PF?

I want Donte, b/c he's what the Pacers don't have.... length and athleticism. The Pacers don't have players like that to combat other teams players who are. It doesn't hurt that Donte can play multiple positions in the process either.

That's just the thing, Granger SHOULDN'T be playing PF and anyone in their right mind knows that. Unfortunately we have a coach who is... well... not in his right mind.

Mr. Sobchak
02-10-2010, 02:37 PM
I don't like Granger playing PF either.

d_c
02-10-2010, 02:45 PM
Green is 6'11, while Hickerson is smaller (6'9 - same as Hansbrough).

LOL. Donte Green is 6'11" the same way Kevin Love is 6'10". The absurdity of "listed" player heights sometimes just defies logic. Greene measured out at 6'8.25" in his pre-draft measurements.

Hickson didn't show up for a measurement, evidently. I doubt he's the 6'9" that he's listed to be, but somehow I also doubt he's two inches shorter than Greene (i.e. I doubt he's just over 6'6").

Justin Tyme
02-10-2010, 03:53 PM
LOL. Donte Green is 6'11" the same way Kevin Love is 6'10". The absurdity of "listed" player heights sometimes just defies logic. Greene measured out at 6'8.25" in his pre-draft measurements.

Hickson didn't show up for a measurement, evidently. I doubt he's the 6'9" that he's listed to be, but somehow I also doubt he's two inches shorter than Greene (i.e. I doubt he's just over 6'6").

I was under the impression Donte was 6' 10". I'm guessing with shoes on. His height isn't something that makes him appealing to me. It's what he's capable of doing that does.

PacerGuy
02-10-2010, 03:58 PM

Maybe....
...but if everyone lies & everyone is over-stated, then it's all relative, no?
Green may not be a pure PF, but I like his skill set & my bet is he is 1-3" taller then Hickerson, but Hickerson does have about 15 lb's on Green.

Let's just ask it this way:
Who would you want more, Green or Hickerson?
Who has the most potential, Green or Hickerson?

d_c
02-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Maybe....
...but if everyone lies & everyone is over-stated, then it's all relative, no?

It's not that always that simple. Here's an example of why you have to end up using your own set of eyes instead of relying on listed measurements.

Shane Battier in 2001
Listed height: 6'8"
Measured height: 6'8.25"

Justin Williams in 2006
Listed height: 6'10"
Measured height" 6'7.25"

So here is Shane Battier being listed as 2 inches SHORTER than a guy who he is actually 1 inch taller than. That's the absurdity of believing in all of these listed heights.

count55
02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
It's not that always that simple. Here's an example of why you have to end up using your own set of eyes instead of relying on listed measurements.

Shane Battier in 2001
Listed height: 6'8"
Measured height: 6'8.25"

Justin Williams in 2006
Listed height: 6'10"
Measured height" 6'7.25"

So here is Shane Battier being listed as 2 inches SHORTER than a guy who he is actually 1 inch taller than. That's the absurdity of believing in all of these listed heights.

Bill Walton insisted on being listed at 6-11, because "6-11 is tall. Seven foot is a freak."

sportfireman
02-10-2010, 04:45 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64591/20100210/rockets_knicks_wizards_discussing_three_way_deal/

The Houston Rockets are in the discussion stages of a complicated, three-team trade that would send Tracy McGrady to the New York Knicks, sources told Yahoo! Sports.

The centerpieces of the trade would include the Washington Wizards shipping forward Caron Butler and center Brendan Haywood to the Rockets.

The Knicks would send the expiring contract of Al Harrington to the Wizards.

In order for the deal to work, additional pieces would have to be added.

IF this is true and Al does go to Washington is there a need for Jamison? Maybe setting up to do a deal with Cleveland..????? :hmm:

I'm bored....... someonetradeSOMEONE!!!!!!:mad:

idioteque
02-10-2010, 06:12 PM
JJ Hickson is quickly becoming the PD 2010 trade deadline version of Javaris Crittendon. Was/is Big Z ever on the table?

Justin Tyme
02-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Bill Walton insisted on being listed at 6-11, because "6-11 is tall. Seven foot is a freak."

I'll never forget asking a tall attractive girl how tall she was. Her answer was 5 foot 12. She didn't like being 6'.

Anthem
02-10-2010, 10:36 PM
JJ Hickson is quickly becoming the PD 2010 trade deadline version of Javaris Crittendon. Was/is Big Z ever on the table?
Z certainly is... that's the point of the trade. It's Hickson that's not.

Sookie
02-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I'll never forget asking a tall attractive girl how tall she was. Her answer was 5 foot 12. She didn't like being 6'.

I remember Michelle Wie saying she was 5 foot 12, and Ernie Els saying he stood next to her, and he thinks she's 5 foot 14 :laugh:

90'sNBARocked
02-11-2010, 10:29 AM

and he shoots the 3, which would mean Obie will put him at SG and have him launch about 7 a game