PDA

View Full Version : Have you looked at the pacers schedule coming out of the Allstar Break - wow

Unclebuck
02-08-2010, 03:50 PM
I just glanced at the schedule and I had no idea it was this tough. 3 weeks, no more than 1 days off between any games 4 sets of back to backs - two 4 game road trips against 6 of the top teams out west. .

Spurs
@NO
@Rockets
@Dallas
@Chicago
Bucks
Bulls
@lakers
@Portland
@Denver
@Phoenix

Wow, this is the toughest 3 weeks stretch of the season - I see maybe 2 wins there and probably 5 that they have no chance of winning. Probably split with the Bulls and then split the Bucks and Hornets games maybe. Pacers could play very well and still lose at Dallas, Denver, LA, Portland and Phoenix.

ksuttonjr76
02-08-2010, 03:52 PM
All the easier to get a higher lottery pick and insure JOB is not here next year.

Lance George
02-08-2010, 03:56 PM
All the easier to get a higher lottery pick and insure JOB is not here next year.

Sounds good to me.

Speed
02-08-2010, 04:15 PM
Wow, that is about as tough a stretch as I ever remember seeing. I have been worried about them making some kind of miraculous move at the end of the season to get to the dreaded not that good a pick and not that horrible a record while missing the playoffs...... more commonly known as the MMATEOTSTGTTDNTGAPANTHARWMTP syndrome.

Anyways, I'm not sure I have to worry, looking at that schedule.

Otherwise, it is maybe telling about this team, that they haven't even played the worst part of their schedule and they've still sucked horribly.

Dark times my friends. Savor them, it should make the turn around even sweeter.

Naptown_Seth
02-08-2010, 04:25 PM
Buck, this is why some of us have been really negative earlier on. They blew the cake portion, now comes the pain. It could get ugly.

For the fans the toughest 3 weeks come AFTER this stretch as we must wade through meaningless games watching a home team that just got blown up by a line of quality teams night after night. Hey, Detroit/Pacers tonight, who wants to go.

Or the ever popular @CLE games. Boy, those should be fun to watch as the season winds down.

I can't believe the level of non-interest I'm starting to hit. I just disregarded the Bucks game outright, didn't even Tivo it. I'm not sure what the "hook" is going to be to keep watching this team for the next 2 months. Developing youth? Are they even doing that really? Seeing Danny the star play at an elite level? Is he?

To me this is the biggest reason why they have to push hard to play Price, Rush and Roy, it's about all that's left. Add in Josh as well, there is nothing to lose. He stinks, so what. He's exciting, maybe fans get interested a little bit.

Apart from those 4 kids getting some interest or Danny going back to AS level, there's not much reason to watch anymore.

Speed
02-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Maybe a trade brings in some more young pieces to watch, who knows. We need a name for this season, The Indifferent Season, maybe. Something, I think this year will be something we may refer back to often.

xtacy
02-08-2010, 04:46 PM

AMEN.

i have lost all my interest in the team. i don't even look at the boxscores of some games anymore.

they say the darkest hour is just before the dawn. i hope that will be the case for us.

Hicks
02-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I honestly hope it does get ugly with regards to the W/L column during that stretch. It bothers me that as recently as last week we're still getting reports on how the players and the team still thinks this season is about pushing to the playoffs.

It's not happening, and continuing to grasp at straws trying just makes it more painful.

I hope this stretch beats some sense into them and forces them to call it a year.

What difference will that make? Not a lot other than maybe they'll stop pretending they're going to compete for the post-season (which is annoying and borderline patronizing to those that know better), and perhaps more minutes for Price, McRoberts, if he comes back Tyler, Solomon. Rush and Roy already play a lot, though I wouldn't be offended if they get even more minutes. Let Roy foul out if it comes to that.

Unclebuck
02-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I honestly hope it does get ugly with regards to the W/L column during that stretch. It bothers me that as recently as last week we're still getting reports on how the players and the team still thinks this season is about pushing to the playoffs.

It's not happening, and continuing to grasp at straws trying just makes it more painful.

I hope this stretch beats some sense into them and forces them to call it a year.

What difference will that make? Not a lot other than maybe they'll stop pretending they're going to compete for the post-season (which is annoying and borderline patronizing to those that know better), and perhaps more minutes for Price, McRoberts, if he comes back Tyler, Solomon. Rush and Roy already play a lot, though I wouldn't be offended if they get even more minutes. Let Roy foul out if it comes to that.

The players may say that they are pushing towards the playoffs. But I don't think they believe they have a chance at getting close to a playoff spot. The players know more so than anyone that they aren't very good as a team. But of course they have to say that yes they are still pushing towards a playoff spot. I still want the players to play to win the game

Unclebuck
02-08-2010, 04:59 PM
Buck, this is why some of us have been really negative earlier on. They blew the cake portion, now comes the pain. It could get ugly.

I was on your side as far as that goes. One big reason why I thought the 5 game winning streak was bunk. The first 5 weeks or so of the season was cake as far as opponents and perhaps more importantly number of games played and as we have seen over time this team is much worse when it has to play a lot of games in a short period of time. In order for this team to be competitive they need practice time and rest time

McKeyFan
02-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Maybe a trade brings in some more young pieces to watch, who knows. We need a name for this season, The Indifferent Season, maybe. Something, I think this year will be something we may refer back to often.

The season of stubbornness.

The five game win streak season.

The season of more defense: not.

PaceBalls
02-08-2010, 06:40 PM
I like all 3 of those McKeyFan.

The year of the 5 game win streak (and subsequent changes which lead to us going 7-30 or something horrible) is quite appropriate.
Or the year of the worst coaching job ever seen by Indiana fans.
Or the year of playing offensive gimmick players over defensive minded players.

:ranton:
Whatever you call it, this is by far the most frustrating season I have seen, since... well since the 80s. Even the brawl year was not near as bad, as that team gave me something to cheer about. I had hope things would work out. Things have just gone to crap since we got Dunleavy and Murphy.. and Jim. The last 2 years I kept hoping things might get better... now there is no hope left. Just pure cynicism and morbid fascination.
:rantoff:

I'm at the point I hope we lose every freakin game from here on out. Not just for the draft... But mainly so there is no excuse for keeping Jim as the coach. No excuse for not trading Dunleavy and Murphy, or anyone on the team really, but mainly those two.

And yes, that schedual is totally brutal. I remember pointing that out in the "we can still make the playoffs" thread. There is no way we come out of this stretch with anything resembling .500, let alone the .750 we would need to even have a hope of getting the 8th spot.

CableKC
02-08-2010, 07:10 PM
I call this the season that I first paid for and wasted my $$$ on NBA League Pass.

BlueNGold
02-08-2010, 07:16 PM
This is going to be unbelievably brutal. We are big underdogs in every single one of these games. We will be fortunate to go 2-9 during this stretch.

Spurs
@NO
@Rockets
@Dallas
@Chicago
Bucks
Bulls
@lakers
@Portland
@Denver
@Phoenix

odeez
02-08-2010, 07:32 PM
I call this the season that I first paid for and wasted my $$$ on NBA League Pass.

This is my third season of pay to watch the Pacers lose! Question is will I go for a 4th?

CableKC
02-08-2010, 07:45 PM
This is my third season of pay to watch the Pacers lose! Question is will I go for a 4th?
Unfortunately, I'm in San Jose...so I have to pay for it if I want to watch the games.

Unlike Season Ticket Holders that can voice their displeasure with the Team by not re-upping their tickets....too bad there is no way to do the same for NBA LP. It's all or nothing....

heywoode
02-08-2010, 08:28 PM

DITTO. Never again.

Pacersfan46
02-08-2010, 08:33 PM
You guys are weird. When I had League Pass last year I watched a ton of games. :)

-- Steve --

ksuttonjr76
02-08-2010, 09:06 PM

True that, but I wouldn't call it a complete waste. My sons are learning how to NOT play basketball. I'm of the same mentality as Naptown_Seth though. I'm getting to the point where I'm not even bothering to watch the games. I should watch the game against Toronto though. Some of you are saying that game was some of our best team basketball in a while.

NapTonius Monk
02-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Wow, that is about as tough a stretch as I ever remember seeing. I have been worried about them making some kind of miraculous move at the end of the season to get to the dreaded not that good a pick and not that horrible a record while missing the playoffs...... more commonly known as the MMATEOTSTGTTDNTGAPANTHARWMTP syndrome.

Anyways, I'm not sure I have to worry, looking at that schedule.

Otherwise, it is maybe telling about this team, that they haven't even played the worst part of their schedule and they've still sucked horribly.

Dark times my friends. Savor them, it should make the turn around even sweeter.

:laugh:

NapTonius Monk
02-08-2010, 09:28 PM
This is going to be unbelievably brutal. We are big underdogs in every single one of these games. We will be fortunate to go 2-9 during this stretch.

Spurs
@NO
@Rockets
@Dallas
@Chicago
Bucks
Bulls
@lakers
@Portland
@Denver
@Phoenix

I'll go out on a limb and say we win 3.

NapTonius Monk
02-08-2010, 09:32 PM
The season of stubbornness.

The five game win streak season.

The season of more defense: not.

How about: 4th and Long..The PUNT Season

vnzla81
02-08-2010, 11:14 PM
I will call this one, they will win one game during this trip.:cool:

Naptown_Seth
02-08-2010, 11:32 PM
I'm starting to give up hope on that one too, though you're right that it could spark interest too.

Buck, true that those were some nice cake games except for Boston, but it's also true that they went with a different style of play due to the roster situation. I mean I was at that Boston win and they looked really good in that game, including Danny vs KG. Boston now, not so hot, but Boston then still had it going okay.

Difference for ME now than for me back in 83-88 era, I was too young to know the Pacers as ABA champs so for me all they had ever been was NBA doormats. So this kind of season wasn't a letdown, it was normal. Then when they'd push toward .500 we'd all get geeked out like it was the Finals.

Now we know better. Now we know that even a dysfunctional group of JO, Ron, Tins and Al can rip off 61 wins and crush the opponents' FG% and PPG. Makes it a lot harder to accept the junk we get 2-3 quarters of nearly every game.

BlueNGold
02-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Think about this.

We've gone 6-20 on the road. The only games we've won on the road were against New Jersey 2x, Detroit, Washington, Philadelphia and New York.

That's the three worst teams in the EC...and the two that have only a slightly better record than the Pacers. The best team we've beaten on the road has a .380 record...and would probably thump us now.

Amazingly, TWO of the 6 road wins happened during the infamous, tremendous, unstubborness, Mckey-Fanness 5 game winning streak.

Naptown_Seth
02-08-2010, 11:35 PM

Well my expectations are on your side, but if I can go a little Buck here let me also say that if they were to rip off a nice set of wins, maybe .500 or better during this stretch, then it kind of would justify their own claims about being in the playoff hunt.

Much like I said for JOB going into the year, the real outcome is kind of in their own hands now. Either they get slaughtered and realize it's over or they make good and do deserve credit for being playoff capable.

Again, that's IF, IF, IF they win a good portion of these games.

Then the flipside fear is that they get thumped most nights like we expect and STILL we get denial and limited PT/development for the future. That's when you really tear your hair out.

Noodle
02-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Nearly all NBA games for $160. That's $2 and some change for almost every game your favorite team plays. League pass is awesome and worth paying for even when your team stinks. Beats the hell out of paying for tickets and hot dogs for two for $160, at least in terms of value. Besides, I'm always game for a Lebron show when the Pony's are losing.

DrFife
02-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Hmmm, the "streak of death" makes me wonder if teams considering a mid-season trade often try to pull one off before the all-star break to give the new player a crash course before things pick back up post-break.

If Larry has any aspirations to make a trade to improve this year's playoff chances, one might hope that we'll hear something within the next 48 hours.

Then again, perhaps silence is golden after all. :shhh:

jeffg-body
02-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Wow, I knew it was gonna be rough but not quite this rough.

Peck
02-09-2010, 04:08 AM
That's a rough stetch no doubt. If we get two wins during that time frame I think you almost have to consider that a sucess.

As to the season itself???

Sadly the truth was staring us in the face right out of the gate, but I think a lot of us held out hope that it would get better. But the truth is that this season has been over since the late part of November.

I officially threw in the towel sometime in the December when we went on that 8 game losing streak and Danny went down.

This season, like all Pacers seasons it seems, has had its share of injured players but to believe that this season was lost due to injury would be a mistake.

If everyone was healthy we might be looking at maybe 5 to 10 more wins tops. Sure that is better but at the end of the day it's not good enough.

DgR
02-09-2010, 09:37 AM
I miss Reggie
:cry:

daschysta
02-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Well this trip should solidify our position as having an excellent chance at a top 5 pick in the lottery.

Things are not a dark as this season makes everything seem however.

I really think that if we draft a stud, and dump murphy, dunleavey, and ford and get 2 or 3 players that deserve to be payed what those 3 are currently being payed we could be a 48-50 win team in about two years.

cinotimz
02-09-2010, 09:58 AM
0-11 baby!!! Lets not mess anything up. Lets make a push for John Wall. Minnesota has gone 5-5 over the last 10 games so we have a legit shot at finishing near the top of the Lottery if we just concentrate on the goal at hand. ;)

geetee
02-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Nearly all NBA games for $160. That's $2 and some change for almost every game your favorite team plays. League pass is awesome and worth paying for even when your team stinks. Beats the hell out of paying for tickets and hot dogs for two for $160, at least in terms of value. Besides, I'm always game for a Lebron show when the Pony's are losing.

I agree with everything here except for the tickets part. I live out of town and would love to see the P's live on a regular basis. Fortunately league pass is available, I probably look forward to watching the tougher games more so than the games against teams that are... well, kind of like us.

Justin Tyme
02-09-2010, 11:19 AM
Minnesota has gone 5-5 over the last 10 games so we have a legit shot at finishing near the top of the Lottery if we just concentrate on the goal at hand. ;)

Not to mention Minnie has the opportunity to win it's next 2 games b4 Allstar break.

DaveP63
02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
0-11 baby!!! Lets not mess anything up. Lets make a push for John Wall. Minnesota has gone 5-5 over the last 10 games so we have a legit shot at finishing near the top of the Lottery if we just concentrate on the goal at hand. ;)

Focus damn it! Focus :happydanc

Justin Tyme
02-09-2010, 12:50 PM
This season has woren on me like no other season in recent memory. I would just like the season to end today w/o the prolonged agony of dragging out of the rest of the season. My disinterest in the Pacers is extremely high. It's bad when you enjoy watching other teams play instead of the Pacers. Watching other teams do the things during games that the Pacers either don't or aren't capable of doing. Sadly remembering the days when the Pacers did and could do the those things. The true enjoyment of watching the Pacers play has vanished. I'm tired of watching the team play Jimmy's system of helter skelter run n gun with little "D". I'm tired of watching Jimmy trying to plug players into his system trying to make it work when those players aren't that type of players.

Since Bird hired Jimmy, how many new players have there been? Each year Bird gives Jimmy numerous new players that don't fit Jimmy system? Either you get players that does or you get a coach that fits the players. DUH BIRD, how hard is that to understand? Why keep getting players that don't work in the system or give the coach with a system that doesn't work with the players an extension to do the exact samething next year? How is that winning games or keeping the fan interest? How does that keep loyal fans from getting disinterested, throwing up their arms in disgust, and leaving? Oh yeah, you don't own the Pacers, so lost revenue isn't coming out of your pocket. If you got paid on accomplishments achieved, you would owe the Pacers!

I said last week in another thread at 50 games played that half the games to be played were against teams with 500 or better records, and to those thinking the playoffs were achieveable weren't being realistic. With the last 32 games to be played, it pretty much cements the Pacers in a 4-7 lottery pick. It's pretty bad when all the fans have left is wondering which pick placement the Pacers will end up getting. How exciting! I really don't see much more for next season either with Jimmy or with the current players. What I do foresee is more frustration and heartache for Pacers fans next year to have to endure. Thank you Mr. Bird, your profound legacy as a GM continues to march on.

btowncolt
02-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Couldn't O'Brien schedule this better?

Thesterovic
02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Couldn't O'Brien schedule this better?

What?

Noodle
02-09-2010, 03:37 PM
I agree with everything here except for the tickets part. I live out of town and would love to see the P's live on a regular basis. Fortunately league pass is available, I probably look forward to watching the tougher games more so than the games against teams that are... well, kind of like us.

Going to the game can't be beat, but the value of League Pass is indisputable.

Hicks
02-09-2010, 10:42 PM
We are going to start the brutal stretch at 18-34 and (as of this post) the 4th most losses in the league.

Maybe we really will be in the Wall/Turner sweepstakes.

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 10:58 PM
We are going to start the brutal stretch at 18-34 and (as of this post) the 4th most losses in the league.

Maybe we really will be in the Wall/Turner sweepstakes.

:kegboypreachit:

clownskull
02-09-2010, 10:59 PM
I just glanced at the schedule and I had no idea it was this tough. 3 weeks, no more than 1 days off between any games 4 sets of back to backs - two 4 game road trips against 6 of the top teams out west. .

Spurs
@NO
@Rockets
@Dallas
@Chicago
Bucks
Bulls
@lakers
@Portland
@Denver
@Phoenix

Wow, this is the toughest 3 weeks stretch of the season - I see maybe 2 wins there and probably 5 that they have no chance of winning. Probably split with the Bulls and then split the Bucks and Hornets games maybe. Pacers could play very well and still lose at Dallas, Denver, LA, Portland and Phoenix.

i'd say they have perhaps a puncher's chance at 2-9 there. although they could very easily go 0-11. the only games they can win are the 2 home games against the bucks and bulls (if they are lucky and playing well). they will lose every away game (some by 20+).

vnzla81
02-09-2010, 11:07 PM
i'd say they have perhaps a puncher's chance at 2-9 there. .

:50cent: