PDA

View Full Version : Clippers Eyeing Isiah Thomas

Will Galen
02-05-2010, 06:53 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/
Source: Clippers Eyeing Isiah Thomas (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64505/20100205/source_clippers_eyeing_isiah_thomas/)

Feb 05, 2010 5:59 PM EST

http://www.realgm.com/images/nba/4.2/wiretap/team/lac_40.gifIsiah Thomas has emerged as a candidate to run the Clippers, a source has told FOX Sports.
The Clippers have reached out to Thomas to take over as coach, general manager and president, according to a source close to the situation.
Mike Dunleavy was revealed of his coaching duties earlier this week, but he remains the general manager.
Thomas, the former coach of the Pacers and Knicks, is currently coaching at Florida International University.
------------------

I find this really hard to believe! :-o

Those poor Clipper fans!

DaveP63
02-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Nooooooooo!

MLB007
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Is that from the "Onion"?
No way anyone could possibly see anything in any work Isiah has ever done to think he deserves a chance to run an organization.
only the clippers....................

owl
02-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Incredible!!

Dr. Awesome
02-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Is that from the "Onion"?
No way anyone could possibly see anything in any work Isiah has ever done to think he deserves a chance to run an organization.
only the clippers....................

I'd trade O'Brien for Thomas any day of the week.

vnzla81
02-05-2010, 07:10 PM

I'd drive JOB to LA.........:cool:

travmil
02-05-2010, 07:47 PM

I'm pretty sure when your choices are JOB and Zeke, you're in the 9th Circle of Basketball Hell...

cdash
02-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Somewhere, Bill Simmons just had a stroke.

Seriously, if this is true, then we need to start calling him ASAP to see if we can rip him off on a few deals.

vnzla81
02-05-2010, 08:02 PM

Seriously, if this is true, then we need to start calling him ASAP to see if we can rip him off on a few deals.

that is what I was saying, maybe we can get BD and Kaman for cheap;)

Will Galen
02-05-2010, 08:12 PM
<object data="/fe/flash/sIFR/fs-sifr-unitedsans.swf" name="sIFR_replacement_0" id="sIFR_replacement_0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" class="sIFR-flash" width="136" height="24"></object>Heres the source RealGM got this from.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/Los-Angeles-Clippers-Isiah-Thomas-020510

Jeff Goodman
Jeff Goodman is a senior college basketball writer for FOXSports.com.

According to a source close to the situation, the Clippers have reached out to Thomas -- who coached the Indiana Pacers and also the New York Knicks -- to take over coaching, general manager and president duties.

He would replace Mike Dunleavy, who was relieved of his coaching duties earlier this week but remains the general manager.

Thomas, 49, was hired this past April as the head coach at Florida International down in Miami.

He took over a downtrodden program that has endured nine consecutive losing seasons. FIU is 7-18 this season, but Thomas and his staff will add a talented recruiting class next fall that includes a Top 50 player.

Thomas was previously the owner of the CBA, head coach of the Pacers and also held the coach, GM and president positions with the New York Knicks.

A 12-time NBA All-Star in his 13-year NBA career with the Detroit Pistons, Thomas joined the Knicks as the president of basketball operations before taking over the head coaching job in 2006. He was 56-108 in two seasons before being fired in 2008.

The Los Angeles Clippers are 21-28 and in 12th place in the Western Conference. Top pick Blake Griffin has yet to play a game this season after suffering a season-ending knee injury.

Will Galen
02-05-2010, 08:16 PM
I really think the source is full of huey.

This is from ESPN and it doesn't sound like Mike Duleavy Sr. wants totally out.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=4891505
Hughes to debut Saturday vs. Spurs

[/URL]
<script type="text/javascript">var stobj = SHARETHIS.addEntry({ title:"Former%20Clippers%20coach%20Dunleavy%20was%20\'bur nt%20out\'", url:"http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=4891505", published: "2010-02-05" }); stobj.attachButton(document.getElementById("espnstlink")); </script>
<cite class="source"> Associated Press
</cite>
<!-- begin story body --> LOS ANGELES -- The [URL="http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=lac"]Clippers (http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=4891505)' mounting losses, injuries and lack of playoff success finally took their toll on coach Mike Dunleavy. For once, he wanted to watch a movie instead of game film on the flight home.
Dunleavy said that's when he knew it was time to step aside as coach and for him to focus strictly on his duties as general manager.
"I thought, 'It's time for me to give somebody else a shot, you're burnt out on this," he said Friday at the team's practice facility.
In a move that surprised his players, Dunleavy turned things over after 6 years on the bench to assistant Kim Hughes, who'll make his debut as interim coach at home against the San Antonio Spurs (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=sas) on Saturday night.
Hughes ran his first practice on Friday, pulling players like Baron Davis (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=194) and Marcus Camby (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=125) aside for one-on-one chats.
The team has lost five of six, and with nine of their next 13 games at home it could be a pivotal stretch that decides whether the Clippers make a move toward their first playoff appearance since 2006 or chalk up another lost season.
At 21-28, the Clippers are 12th in the Western Conference. They dropped a season-worst seven games under .500 with six losses on a just-completed eight-game road trip.
Dunleavy said he initially proposed giving up coaching after the Clippers lost at Phoenix on Christmas Day. But owner Donald Sterling said he didn't want to do it.
"I was really down off that loss," Dunleavy said.
He perked up after the Clippers beat Boston 92-90 two days later, and he was buoyed by a four-game winning streak that included their first win over the Lakers since 2007.
"Now we regained our momentum and I got a little battery life," he said. "As a coach you need to be recharged and regenerated, and the way that happens is your players win big games for you."
But the momentum quickly evaporated with four consecutive losses. Then came the disastrous eight-game road trip that cemented Dunleavy's decision, which should assuage fans who chanted "Fire Dunleavy" at some home games.
"I said to myself, `Maybe they're not hearing me, maybe the things I'm saying is not getting through at times, maybe another voice could do it.' It came down to the last two or three years, a lot of wear and tear as far as trying to juggle lineups," he said.
"This trip was a real drain on me and I worried about my enthusiasm going forward. If that was an issue, then it's time to make a change."
Dunleavy was 215-325 in 6 seasons on the bench, and Los Angeles made the playoffs just once in his first six seasons, getting within one game of the Western Conference finals in 2006. The Clippers haven't been back to the playoffs since, winning just 42 games in the past two seasons.
Dunleavy will be off scouting when Hughes is introduced as coach Saturday.
"Everybody is pretty much in shock so far," said Davis, who credits Dunleavy with helping him improve. "The only way we'll know how everybody truly feels is by how we come out and play."
Hughes has been Dunleavy's assistant since they started together in Los Angeles, and subbed for him when Dunleavy was ill. A former ABA and NBA player who has never been a head coach, Hughes spent several years on the Nuggets' bench before joining the Clippers, and has been a scout in Denver and Milwaukee.
"It's hard to say you want a job when you've never tried it," Hughes said. "Some people may perceive 33 games, it's a tough gig. I think it's a wonderful chance. I'm not fearful it could be a short reign."
Hughes said he has not been promised his old job back if he isn't hired as the permanent coach.
Unlike Dunleavy, who called most of the plays, Hughes will leave that to Davis.
"Now I just got to learn them all," Davis said, smiling.
Hughes said the team will run more while emphasizing tough defense. Practices will be shorter, there will be fewer film sessions, and Hughes promises to keep his pregame speeches to eight minutes.
"For me, shorter is sweeter. We need to shorten the intelligence factor and make things simpler for us," he said. "We've gotten stale. There's so much things, our guys were kind of fried."
Dunleavy vowed he won't offer Hughes any unsolicited advice, even though the coaching mentality will stay with him.
"I wanted to stay with this organization, see things through, one way or the other," he said. "I would have rather done it as a successful coach, but on the other hand, I can see ahead. It was going to be a tough struggle all the way through."

Anthem
02-05-2010, 08:49 PM
That would be a pretty interesting discussion for its own thread.

I'm fairly certain that if those were my two choices, I'd take Zeke.

jhondog28
02-05-2010, 08:56 PM
Huh? Dun wasnt relieved he voluntarily left the coaching circle. Also since he is GM why would he bring in Isaiah that doesnt sound like him

LoneGranger33
02-05-2010, 09:24 PM
To make himself look good?

Really though, is anyone going to argue that this isn't the best thing for the Clippers legacy? I mean, if Pacer fans feel sorry for them, then they've really accomplished something.

Suaveness
02-05-2010, 09:27 PM
You would rather have Isiah? Uh, really?

Kid Minneapolis
02-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Clippers Eyeing Isiah Thomas

Well, that makes sense.

vnzla81
02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
You would rather have Isiah? Uh, really?

anything is better than JOB ........

gummy
02-05-2010, 09:45 PM
My first thought upon reading the thread title was basically...

"Yeah, I'd keep an eye on him too, just to make sure he didn't get anywhere near my team."

But then I read the story. Only the Clippers... :shrug:

gummy
02-05-2010, 09:52 PM
anything is better than JOB ........

I don't think so, and that's coming from someone who probably won't watch a single game if JOB is still the coach next year. Isiah, in addition to being a bad coach and GM appears to be a Class A Jerk/Dumbass off the court. No thanks.

Infinite MAN_force
02-05-2010, 09:56 PM
This coming from a person who can't STAND Jim Obrien as our coach anymore, I have come to this conclusion.

JOB hate has offically jumped the shark... as soon as people start spewing pure insanity such as "I would rather have Isiah Thomas" its time to think about things.

My friends, no matter how bad it is, it can ALWAYS be worse.

jhondog28
02-05-2010, 09:59 PM
This coming from a person who can't STAND Jim Obrien as our coach anymore, I have come to this conclusion.

JOB hate has offically jumped the shark... as soon as people start spewing pure insanity such as "I would rather have Isiah Thomas" its time to think about things.

OK OK I will coach the team:happydanc

vnzla81
02-05-2010, 10:32 PM
@ESPN_NBA Sources: Clips have not contacted Isiah Thomas - http://tinyurl.com/yfrmfm3

Doug
02-05-2010, 11:13 PM

My friends, no matter how bad it is, it can ALWAYS be worse.Quoted for the ******* truth!

Dr. Awesome
02-05-2010, 11:33 PM

I don't see how it could be worse to be quite honest. At least from a perspective of seeing all the other coaches in the NBA and then ours. Isiah Thomas wasn't a great coach, but most of his notoriety came as a GM, he was just the coach at the as well and since the coach is in the public eye it was crossed. On the sidelines during the game, I'd rather have Thomas.

Now, from a GM perspective, I wouldn't want Thomas anywhere near our FO. But I'm talking about as a coach.

Pacersfan46
02-06-2010, 12:28 AM
I don't see how it could be worse to be quite honest. At least from a perspective of seeing all the other coaches in the NBA and then ours. Isiah Thomas wasn't a great coach, but most of his notoriety came as a GM, he was just the coach at the as well and since the coach is in the public eye it was crossed. On the sidelines during the game, I'd rather have Thomas.

Now, from a GM perspective, I wouldn't want Thomas anywhere near our FO. But I'm talking about as a coach.

From bankrupting an entire league, to coaching, to being a GM. Everything that man touches turns to ****.

I don't want him anywhere near any team I root for. I don't even want him selling popcorn in Lucas Oil Stadium.

-- Steve --

NapTonius Monk
02-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Nooooooooo!

Yeeeeessssss!!!!!!!! That means there's a chance we could get Eric Gordon, and a ridiculous amount of draft picks! Hey Zeke, we have the next Laimbeer and the next Vinnie Johnson!

:dancers::woot::yay::fireworks

owl
02-06-2010, 09:43 AM

As a coach he would poison the whole organization. I am with Pacersfan46 on this. I cannot believe the hate for JOB. Amazing.

Kegboy
02-06-2010, 09:50 AM

QFT

The problem is I think he'd just stop going to Clippers games. The only way it'd really give him a stroke is if it were the Celtics. :devil:

hoopsforlife
02-06-2010, 10:07 AM
I would be OK with IT coaching the Clippers. It would put him at least 500 more miles from Indiana than he is right now. Its all good....

MyFavMartin
02-06-2010, 11:14 AM
And that's why they're the Clippers...

odeez
02-06-2010, 11:20 AM
I don't understand this, but it is the Clippers. The players will love him and if your the Clippers, what do you have to lose.

MyFavMartin
02-06-2010, 11:23 AM
This just in: Clippers really like John Wall.

special ed
02-07-2010, 05:43 AM
When I read the title I thought he must be kicking boot with Florida International, sort of rehabbing himself.
And I was right! 7-18 should put him right back into Clippers' discussions!
Thanks for the laugh.

MyFavMartin
02-07-2010, 12:17 PM
Hoopshype/CNNSI rumors states two executive officials have stated that they have not contacted IT.

Unclebuck
02-08-2010, 10:29 AM
it is amazing how many threads that start off as having nothing to do with JOB eventually swerve into a trash JOB thread.

gummy
02-08-2010, 02:40 PM
it is amazing how many threads that start off as having nothing to do with JOB eventually swerve into a trash JOB thread.

You'll notice (or perhaps you didn't?) that quite a few of us who are not happy with JOB's coaching are actually defending him against the idea that he is worse that Isiah Thomas!