PDA

View Full Version : Pacer's interested in Acie Law?

Cobalt_Colt
02-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Just seen this on hoops hype thought I would post it.

Alex Kennedy: The New York Knicks have shown interest in Acie Law. The Indiana Pacers are the other team showing interest as the deadline approaches. Twitter.com

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Don't really know who we would be sending for him, seems a bit odd to me.

Will Galen
02-05-2010, 09:21 AM
If there is anything in this, it's has to be Bird doing due diligence in case we trade two of our point guards. We don't need Law otherwise.

Interesting rumor in as much as that probably means he's looking at two different trades, because I don't see us trading two point guards to one team.

Ford and Diener?

Murphy and Ford to Cleveland for Shaq and a pick? We buy Shaq out. Diener to a team for a draft pick?

Lance George
02-05-2010, 09:27 AM
I didn't even know what team Law played for. I thought he was still with the Warriors but he was a part of the Wacko Jacko deal and is now with the Bobcats.

Earl Watson for Law works. Both are also expiring contracts. If we're wanting out of Dahntay Jones' contract for whatever reason, he would work as well.

jhondog28
02-05-2010, 09:42 AM
to me this makes 0 sense unless Ford was involved

Tom White
02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
I remember some wanted the Pacers to draft Law back when. I've never really followed his career. What would he contribute that the team does not already have?

count55
02-05-2010, 09:58 AM
I remember some wanted the Pacers to draft Law back when. I've never really followed his career. What would he contribute that the team does not already have?

A vaguely cool name.

Lance George
02-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Size from the point guard position. He's listed at 6'3", 202 lb., so he's one of the bigger point guards in the league. He's also only played 1,519 minutes in 2.5 seasons, so while he's done nothing thus far in his NBA career, he's never been given much of a chance, either. Considering our PG situation still sucks after all these years, and Law could be had for cheap, I see no problem in at least bringing the guy in for a half-season trial run.

kellogg
02-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Why Acie Law?

Bird bringing in another bench/marginal NBA player that does nothing for us: Diener = Watson = Murray = Jasikevicious = Law

Gamble1
02-05-2010, 10:29 AM
Why Acie Law?

Bird bringing in another bench/marginal NBA player that does nothing for us: Diener = Watson = Murray = Jasikevicious = Law
Seriously, Watson is better than all those. I agree though that this does very little for us unless it involves expiring contracts.

BPump33
02-05-2010, 10:34 AM
Watson/Solo for Law/Henderson works......The Bobcats are looking for front court depth according to HoopsHype...

We already don't have enough big men, but it's not like we are actually using Solo. Also, it doesn't seem that Larry Brown likes Henderson too much.

Actually, this trade is just for Seth.

Hicks
02-05-2010, 10:48 AM
If Watson could give us a try-out with either Law or Augustin (preferably Augustin), I'm fine with that because odds are Watson won't be here much longer anyway.

pwee31
02-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Here's another snippet about it from the Knick's end

http://www.theknicksblog.com/2010/02/04/laying-down-the-law-or-part-of-bigger-talks/

A source close to the situation just informed me that two teams have very recently inquired about the availability of Bobcats reserve guard Acie Law and that “one of them is definitely New York.” The other team is “an Eastern Conference team as well.”

The source also believes that “it’s pretty clear” Law will be on the move.

On the heels of our post about possible moves, to me, the Knicks interest in Law might just mean that a bigger deal is in the works, and as I’ve said since the Bobcats are trying to make a push, this may mean Jared Jeffries.

Obviously, there are complications in terms of matching salaries, and since D.J. Augustin is a name constantly being thrown out there may just be something brewing here. Maybe getting a third team involved. As we know, the Knicks would have to make roster space in order to match a deal that included Jeffries.

PacerGuy
02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
Wonder is some combo involving D.Jones could be involved? The reason is both G.Henderson & D.Jones are 6'5" SG's, but as a vet, Jones would help the Cats in a playoff run.
(EW/DJ/SJ - AL/DJA/GH) ?
Larry like's his vets, & we get youth.

Gamble1
02-05-2010, 11:02 AM
Wonder is some combo involving D.Jones could be involved? The reason is both G.Henderson & D.Jones are 6'5" SG's, but as a vet, Jones would help the Cats in a playoff run.
(EW/DJ/SJ - AL/DJA/GH) ?
Larry like's his vets, & we get youth.
I can't see that happening. Larry Bird also likes his vets as well.

Lance George
02-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Augustin would be a coup. I don't see it happening. Someone can offer better for a young Jameer Nelson-clone. BTW - Augustin ranked in the top-10 in both 3P% (.439, 9th) and FT% (.893; 6th) as a rookie. You think Jim O'Brien would like a guy who can shoot like that?

Mourning
02-05-2010, 11:12 AM
Getting Augustin would definitely be nice in itself, but how many non-starting PG's will we have then? So, Augustin better become a starting PG or Price better become one.

I like Price, but just because he's starting for our team, due to Ford being sidelined and Watson out for "personal reasons", does not mean he's actually starting quality now.

We'll see.

Regarding Acie Law. Not very enthousiastic about getting him, but who knows maybe he just needs a break and a decent sample of playing time to prove his worth. I don't know. Guess it depends on what the total deal would look like.

CableKC
02-05-2010, 11:34 AM
I think that Bird is trying to fix a mistake the Pacers made a long time ago and try to re-acquire the Player that they drafted then traded away for Harrington.

Smoothdave1
02-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Law seems like at average back-up point at best. What does he bring to the Pacers that we don't already have?

I almost feel Augustin is TJ Ford 2.0. They're similar in size and seem to have similar games. I guess the only nice thing is that Augustin is still on his rookie deal.

Shade
02-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Maybe Ford going to the Bobcats for Law and Nazr/Felton...?

Gamble1
02-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Law seems like at average back-up point at best. What does he bring to the Pacers that we don't already have?

I almost feel Augustin is TJ Ford 2.0. They're similar in size and seem to have similar games. I guess the only nice thing is that Augustin is still on his rookie deal.
He is a TJ Ford 2.0 with a shot which makes him an upgrade version of Ford.

Justin Tyme
02-05-2010, 12:34 PM
I think that Bird is trying to fix a mistake the Pacers made a long time ago and try to re-acquire the Player that they drafted then traded away for Harrington.

IIRC, the Pacers traded the 06 pick to Atlanta, and the Hawks picked Law not the Pacers with the 06 pick.

Justin Tyme
02-05-2010, 12:38 PM
Maybe Ford going to the Bobcats for Law and Nazr/Felton...?

Ford isn't Brown's type of player, and the Bobcats need another big not trading trading Nazr... especially for a PG. Really, Nazr has played well while Chander is out injured.

Trophy
02-05-2010, 12:44 PM
This is the kind of trade I'd expect us to make come the deadline. Nothing major.

wintermute
02-05-2010, 01:48 PM
some of you are overthinking it, i think.

we have too many pgs currently, but only aj price is guaranteed to be around for next season. we'll need to get another pg from somewhere, but there aren't a lot of hot pg prospects coming up in the draft, or likely to be available in trade. to top it off, the pacers might be facing luxury tax and hence unable to sign an earl watson type player next season.

acie law has been terrible in the nba so far, which means he can be acquired for next to nothing. that's probably the main consideration. furthermore, he's the sort of young player that the pacers like - 4 year college player, led his team fairly successfully in the ncaa. and did i mention that he could be had for cheap?

i do wonder how a supposed "can't miss" player like him could fail so badly in the nba. maybe d_c has some insights to share?

count55
02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
some of you are overthinking it, i think.

we have too many pgs currently, but only aj price is guaranteed to be around for next season. we'll need to get another pg from somewhere, but there aren't a lot of hot pg prospects coming up in the draft, or likely to be available in trade. to top it off, the pacers might be facing luxury tax and hence unable to sign an earl watson type player next season.

acie law has been terrible in the nba so far, which means he can be acquired for next to nothing. that's probably the main consideration. furthermore, he's the sort of young player that the pacers like - 4 year college player, led his team fairly successfully in the ncaa. and did i mention that he could be had for cheap?

i do wonder how a supposed "can't miss" player like him could fail so badly in the nba. maybe d_c has some insights to share?

He wasn't a "can't miss" player. He was the 11th pick in the draft. He was a "could-be-good-but-more-likely-be-ok-and-we-don't-think-that-it's-likely-that-he'll-miss-player-but-he-could-so-don't-bet-the-farm" player.

Naptown_Seth
02-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Watson/Solo for Law/Henderson works......The Bobcats are looking for front court depth according to HoopsHype...

We already don't have enough big men, but it's not like we are actually using Solo. Also, it doesn't seem that Larry Brown likes Henderson too much.

Actually, this trade is just for Seth.
:D

Yeah, I'd pull that trigger.

Hey, if you can add another pick in the Troy deal and a guy like Ndaiye or Booker slip to it, then this is at worst a wash. Ndiaye especially looks certain to be a more physical defender than Solo and is a great shot blocker.

cdash
02-05-2010, 01:59 PM
He wasn't a "can't miss" player. He was the 11th pick in the draft. He was a "could-be-good-but-more-likely-be-ok-and-we-don't-think-that-it's-likely-that-he'll-miss-player-but-he-could-so-don't-bet-the-farm" player.

Yeah, "can't miss" players dont go 11th in the draft.

Naptown_Seth
02-05-2010, 02:04 PM
Well let's be fair here, some people here were having a meltdown because the Pacers gave up that pick for Al and were freaking out that we were missing out on the wonderful PG prospect that was Law.

I was not one of those myself. IMO he was a reach pick just like Conley because they were in a very weak PG draft class. Teams had to go after whatever PG they could find if they wanted one.

Conley to me was closer to a #8-9 which would match his output so far I think, and Law to me was more like a #25. I would have hated to see the Pacers reach for him just because they needed a PG.

Personally I do think that they gave up the pick at just the right moment. Imagine if we lost to the 9th spot to keep it, drafted Law, then had to give up that 11th pick the next year that became Rush and Jack (or could have been Bayless).

Would anyone trade Rush and Jack for Law, or Bayless for Law?

Maybe we need to bump one of those threads to figure out who the Chicken Littles are around here. ;) :D

90'sNBARocked
02-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Just seen this on hoops hype thought I would post it.

Alex Kennedy: The New York Knicks have shown interest in Acie Law. The Indiana Pacers are the other team showing interest as the deadline approaches. Twitter.com

http://hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Don't really know who we would be sending for him, seems a bit odd to me.

Thats fantastic another run at a marginal player no other team seems to want

I just dont understand the Pacers way of thinking, hope its made up

Naptown_Seth
02-05-2010, 02:13 PM
IIRC, the Pacers traded the 06 pick to Atlanta, and the Hawks picked Law not the Pacers with the 06 pick.
Yes

Top 10 protected in that draft, Pacers finished 11th and gave up the pick.

Next year was top 8 protected if they hadn't already given it up, therefore they would have lost the 11 they used for Rush.

DJones for Henderson as part of the deal...interesting. Makes more sense for CHA to like the deal, doesn't really hurt Indy IMO because I think Henderson is a pretty solid defender too and is a much better offensive player.

And that part would be the sweetener from our end, meaning you'd expect to get even more than Henderson coming back. Their desire to make the playoff push could work for the Pacers here.

Dare to dream.

BPump33
02-05-2010, 02:18 PM
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine

I realize this should go in the trade forum, but it kind of fits.

Pacers send: Earl Watson and Solomon Jones to Magic

Magic send: Brandon Bass (he's unhappy and wants out) to Charlotte

Bobcats send: D.J. Augustin and Gerald Henderson to Pacers

We get a PG prospect and athleticism, The Bobcats get a very serviceable big man to add to their froncourt and the Magic pay Solo half of what Bass makes for 2 years instead of paying for Bass for three.

wintermute
02-05-2010, 02:28 PM

that's just semantics. my point is, between expectations and results, he's been trajan langdon bad. that's remarkable, isn't it? i mean, he can't even get time as a 3rd pg right now.

Yeah, "can't miss" players dont go 11th in the draft.

we all know that gm's draft for potential in the lottery. and potential often means "very likely to be a bust". law on the other hand, was regarded as having a high floor. you know, kind of like tyler.

Lance George
02-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Imagine if we lost to the 9th spot to keep it, drafted Law, then had to give up that 11th pick the next year that became Rush and Jack (or could have been Bayless).

Imagine if we lost to the 9th spot and ended up taking the same guy who went 9th in reality - Joakim Noah? The same Joakim Noah currently putting up 11.2 ppg, 12 rpg (3rd in the league), 1.7 bpg, 2.1 apg. Exactly the type of player we've been looking for.

cdash
02-05-2010, 03:02 PM

We get a PG prospect and athleticism, The Bobcats get a very serviceable big man to add to their froncourt and the Magic pay Solo half of what Bass makes for 2 years instead of paying for Bass for three.

That's quite a haul for journeymen like Watson and Solo. Not very realistic if you ask me.

Justin Tyme
02-05-2010, 04:21 PM

Sign me up! I hope someone in the Pacers FO reads this post, and acts on it.

Dr. Awesome
02-05-2010, 05:39 PM
Sign me up! I hope someone in the Pacers FO reads this post, and acts on it.

If it was that easy, I'd just propose Dunleavy and Murphy to the Cavs for LeBron.

The fact is, Watson and Solo aren't going to get us two recent lottery picks, thats not even close to fair value. Hypothetically, lets say it was fair value(which again, its not close), then the Magic would just cut us out of the deal and get Augustin and Henderson for themselves.

Dr. Awesome
02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Yes

Top 10 protected in that draft, Pacers finished 11th and gave up the pick.

Next year was top 8 protected if they hadn't already given it up, therefore they would have lost the 11 they used for Rush.

DJones for Henderson as part of the deal...interesting. Makes more sense for CHA to like the deal, doesn't really hurt Indy IMO because I think Henderson is a pretty solid defender too and is a much better offensive player.

And that part would be the sweetener from our end, meaning you'd expect to get even more than Henderson coming back. Their desire to make the playoff push could work for the Pacers here.

Dare to dream.

I actually proposed that deal earlier, just not as apart of a deal. Just by itself. I'm not a Henderson fan at all, but any deal that gets us younger works for me. Jones is a Larry Brown type of player and the Bobcats need more depth moving forward. It makes sense for both teams I think.

I really don't like Henderson though, but from a team perspective, I'd get it.