PDA

View Full Version : Best commentators in the league?

I Love P
02-05-2010, 01:58 AM
I have had NBA League Pass for about eight years now and sometimes cant even watch games because the commentators are so bad. The Clippers announcers come to mind when I think of the worst in the league. I think the Pacers commentators are up there with the best. Others that stick out are Golden State and the Lakers. The Blazers' guys are too bad either. Who do you think?

judicata
02-05-2010, 02:27 AM
The bulk of commentators don't occupy any kind of thought on my behalf. They're just kind of there. It takes the truly terrible (Warriors color guy is a hyperhomer) or the really great to make me notice.

I grew up on Chick Hearn, and I still think he's the gold standard.

Ozwalt72
02-05-2010, 03:42 AM
Clark Kellogg, I wish he did more NBA games.

Pacersfan46
02-05-2010, 03:49 AM
I had league pass last year, and if I recall correctly my favorite in the league was the Hornets guys. Either that, or I really hated them. I can't remember which. I'm about 75% sure it was that I liked them though. LOL

-- Steve --

Wage
02-05-2010, 05:28 AM
Whoever the guys are that do the summer league games from Orlando.

vnzla81
02-05-2010, 07:22 AM
Mark Jackson and VanGundy

McKeyFan
02-05-2010, 10:49 AM
The Clippers have great announcers.

Roaming Gnome
02-05-2010, 12:51 PM
The Clippers have great announcers.

Ralph Lawler and at the time Bill Walton were a great duo during the 90's. A lot of their stuff was comedy gold just reacting to how bad the team was and how Donald Sterling (owner) was even worse.

Lawler is still my favorite play by play guy in the league.

Unclebuck
02-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Ralph Lawler and at the time Bill Walton were a great duo during the 90's. A lot of their stuff was comedy gold just reacting to how bad the team was and how Donald Sterling (owner) was even worse.

Lawler is still my favorite play by play guy in the league.

I agree 100% Lawler is the best and he and Walton back in the day were great.

Trophy
02-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Walt "Clyde" Frazier, the Knicks commentator, but I think Chris, Quinn, and Clark do a great job and I'd put them at the top of the league as the best commentators.

KnicksRGarbage
02-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Throw it down big fella!!

JayRedd
02-05-2010, 02:18 PM
IMO, Indy's guys are easily Top 5 local commentator teams in the league regardless of whether you're talking about Quinn or Clark. (I prefer Clark slightly, but both are upper echelon in terms of explaining the game objectively.)

I put Marv/Fratello (NJ) and Breen/Clyde (NY) clearly ahead of them, but that's it. Guokas/Steele in Orlando are great, too, and Lawler/Smith for the Clips are good times. Other than that, the rest of the league mostly ranges from "passable but unmemorable" to "holy s*** I'm muting this in favor of a baby crying" (any broadcast with Sean Elliot or Clyde Drexler)

Then there's Heinsohn/Gorman (BOS) who I love (grew up with these guys), but fully understand why people hate.

pathil275
02-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Ah I don't like the Pacers duo that much. Buckner is too subjective while both of them don't talk much about statistics, especially from the opponent. Hard to describe, but when I watch Indys games on the road, I do like commentators who have a clue of the Pacers' season, their record, their main contributors etc. and I don't get that from Buckner/Denari.

While I watch most of the games I can't say that one pair shined out over the time.

Unclebuck
02-05-2010, 03:14 PM
IMO, Indy's guys are easily Top 5 local commentator teams in the league regardless of whether you're talking about Quinn or Clark. (I prefer Clark slightly, but both are upper echelon in terms of explaining the game objectively.)

I put Marv/Fratello (NJ) and Breen/Clyde (NY) clearly ahead of them, but that's it. Guokas/Steele in Orlando are great, too, and Lawler/Smith for the Clips are good times. Other than that, the rest of the league mostly ranges from "passable but unmemorable" to "holy s*** I'm muting this in favor of a baby crying" (any broadcast with Sean Elliot or Clyde Drexler)

Then there's Heinsohn/Gorman (BOS) who I love (grew up with these guys), but fully understand why people hate.

My favorite local team is Steele and Guokas in Orlando - both are really good.

Clyde is bad, the Horbets announcers are bad.

I used to think Greg Kelser was good - have not heard from him in awhile

Gorman is great - Heinsoln IMO used to be pretty good, but he's too cranky now

threein73
02-05-2010, 03:19 PM
I love Chris/Clarke (not Quinn). Can't stand Boston, they complain about EVERY call against the Celtics....especially Heinson...Of course don't watch the other teams announcers near as much as in previous years since we have a choice this year...

LG33
02-05-2010, 04:16 PM

I hate agreeing with you but everything you said is how I see it too. Perhaps we're being regionalists with our love for the Nets and Knicks announcers, but they really do make games we shouldn't watch quite interesting. Tommy point!

jhondog28
02-05-2010, 04:22 PM
anyone but bill walton

Sookie
02-05-2010, 04:24 PM
I loved Dante and Galante during the summer league...haven't heard them do an Orlando broadcast though.

Phree Refill
02-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Throw it down big fella!!

I'll see your "Throw it down big fella!!" and raise you a Smothered Chicken!!

Overall I'd say that we do have some of the best commentaters in the league (Clark Kellog is terrific IMO).

On a national level I'd have to say Kevin Harland is my favorite HANDS DOWN. The best crew I ever heard was the 2002 playoff series we had against the Nets when Kevin Harland, Jeff Van Gundy, and John Thompson worked one of the games.

Back when NBC still had the NBA I always enjoyed Bob Costas.

Bill Walton = basketball version of John Madden. No thanks. Although I will say the pairing of Tom Tolbert and Bill Walton (horrible for basketball commentary, perfect for comedy) was entertaining simply because Tom Tolbert would call Walton out on every idiotic thing he said. Needless to say that pairing didn't last long.

Hoop
02-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Walton & Lawler were really good with the Clippers, Walton was very funny. I didn't like Walton on NBC but he was a different guy doing Clipper games. I also like the guys that do Golden State games, don't remember their names.

Dante and Galante in the summer league are so bad they're great! Funny stuff.

Dr. Awesome
02-05-2010, 06:24 PM
Best: Walt Frazier - Like I said in the other thread, the guy is hilarious.

Worst: Celtics Announcers - In their entire lives, they have never seen the Celtics foul one person. Its so bad, that I went to a Celtic forum once, and they were even talking about how their Celtic homerism annoys them. They do no research on other teams and just make up facts throughout the game.

imawhat
02-05-2010, 07:40 PM
I think Sacramento's announcers should be in the running for best. They seem genuinely knowledgeable about the game and other NBA teams. Plus their broadcast is very game focused and objective.

Breen/Frazier is a very good combo as well. And the New Jersey Nets combo is pretty good, but a little too self-centered to be in consideration, imo.

McKeyFan
02-09-2010, 04:36 PM
Bill Walton = basketball version of John Madden. No thanks. Although I will say the pairing of Tom Tolbert and Bill Walton (horrible for basketball commentary, perfect for comedy) was entertaining simply because Tom Tolbert would call Walton out on every idiotic thing he said. Needless to say that pairing didn't last long.

Walton is more like Dick Vitale for NBA. Or even a version of Howard Cosell—the guy you love to hate.

I think he did a great job pulling off the schtick.

speakout4
02-09-2010, 07:16 PM
Walton is more like Dick Vitale for NBA. Or even a version of Howard Cosell—the guy you love to hate.

I think he did a great job pulling off the schtick.
Love Walton, hate Vitale. When Vitale did an nba game couple of weeks ago I thought I would have to quit bball.