PDA

View Full Version : Wells Tweet - Watson to miss next two games for personal reasons

count55
02-04-2010, 02:44 PM
@Wells222

ford to miss next two games for personal reasons
14 minutes ago from mobile web

could there be a tj ford sighting 2morrow?
13 minutes ago from mobile web

oops, i mean watson to miss next two games for personal reasons

7 minutes ago from mobile web

Hicks
02-04-2010, 02:52 PM
(conspiracy) What was the official reason for Tinsley missing that game in Jim's first year where Stephen Jackson ratted them out to say it was actually a suspension? (/conspiracy)

I have the quotes from yesterday on my mind.

Unclebuck
02-04-2010, 02:55 PM
Interesting. Will Ford play or Diener. Who will start?

McKeyFan
02-04-2010, 03:10 PM
Interesting. Will Ford play or Diener. Who will start?

AJ starts.

McKeyFan
02-04-2010, 03:10 PM
(conspiracy) What was the official reason for Tinsley missing that game in Jim's first year where Stephen Jackson ratted them out to say it was actually a suspension? (/conspiracy)

Hmmmm . . .

If it was one game, I'd be more inclined.

Shade
02-04-2010, 03:23 PM
With this franchise, it's difficult to take explanations at face value. :hmm:

cinotimz
02-04-2010, 03:25 PM

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Trophy
02-04-2010, 03:26 PM
Head can probably spot some PG minutes if we're desperate not to use Ford or give Diener a lot of time.

Lord Helmet
02-04-2010, 03:34 PM
AJ then bring int the Dean or TJ.

count55
02-04-2010, 03:36 PM
Well222 tweet

Wells222

ford to backup aj price vs pistons on friday

chrisjacobs7
02-04-2010, 03:50 PM
It's about time he played again... I did have my problems with his play at the start of the season, but it was never bad enough to warrant the treatment he's been getting.

Since86
02-04-2010, 03:56 PM
It's about time he played again... I did have my problems with his play at the start of the season, but it was never bad enough to warrant the treatment he's been getting.

I agree. Something had to have happened behind the scenes. It was either TJ's choice, or something a lot worse happened and it was kept hush-hush.

McKeyFan
02-04-2010, 04:10 PM
Probably not that complicated. TJ was probably informed he would be benched significantly, he copped an attitude, and it led to a complete and total benching.

Unclebuck
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
Or maybe Jim really wanted to get Price into the rotation. Ford wasn't playing well, he was given 25 games to work his way through things - he was getting worse, so Watson was installed as the starter and price as the backup.

Sometimes the most logical explanation is the correct one

Will Galen
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
I believe what was reported at the time of the benching.

Speed
02-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Best case scenario, TJ tears it up before the trade deadline. I want career highs in all categories. Honestly, I almost forgot he was on the team.

For the record career highs are:

Pts 36
Rebs 11
Assists 18
Steals 5

I realize this is a pipe dream, but work with me here.

judicata
02-04-2010, 04:25 PM
I doubt some team is going to give up value for that contract just because TJ plays well for one night.

cdash
02-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I doubt some team is going to give up value for that contract just because TJ plays well for one night.

Yeah, I agree. We are stuck with him.

Unclebuck
02-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I think Watson's wife and kids live on the west coast or someplace that isn't close, so that is probably the "personal reasons"

Since86
02-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Or maybe Jim really wanted to get Price into the rotation. Ford wasn't playing well, he was given 25 games to work his way through things - he was getting worse, so Watson was installed as the starter and price as the backup.

And he doesn't say a peep about the situation?

Sookie
02-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Some interesting questions

If Ford plays well, does he end up back in the rotation? Who comes out of it if so? (I think it's unlikely he plays well ..and if so..I think we're going back to the way things were before..as has happened to other players)

Does AJ get starters minutes? Or does he start on principle and get the "back up minutes"

If AJ plays well and/or Indiana wins both games, does Watson backup Price when he's back?

Is JOB really so reluctant to play Ford that the minute breakdowns end up as Price 30+ Ford 10, Diener 8, or something like that?

It'll be interesting.

Edit: Also, I'm really glad Price will get minutes with the starting rotation...maybe we'll even see the Price, Jones, Rush, Granger, Hibbert lineup I'd personally like to see..

But keep in mind, AJ usually comes in with Dun..and often times the lineup is something like Price Head Jones Dun Troy..or..Price Head Dun Granger Troy...so now replace that with TJ...a lineup of ..TJ Head Jones Dun Troy...oh dear..

hoopsforlife
02-04-2010, 04:45 PM
He's probably a Colts fan. :)

sportfireman
02-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Some interesting questions

If Ford plays well, does he end up back in the rotation? Who comes out of it if so? (I think it's unlikely he plays well ..and if so..I think we're going back to the way things were before..as has happened to other players)

Does AJ get starters minutes? Or does he start on principle and get the "back up minutes"

If AJ plays well and/or Indiana wins both games, does Watson backup Price when he's back?
Is JOB really so reluctant to play Ford that the minute breakdowns end up as Price 30+ Ford 10, Diener 8, or something like that?

It'll be interesting.

Flim is too stuborn to give AJ the starting job. He likes going with his vets........so Earl starts again. But I would love for AJ to start.

ksuttonjr76
02-04-2010, 04:55 PM
Are we sure it's for personal reasons? Watson was the latest Pacers to "speak up" against JOB. Same thing happened to D. Jones and TJ Ford. Hibbert probably would have gotten the same treatment, but we don't have ANY bigs (well bigs that JOB will play) outside of Murphy if he got benched. Of course, I wouldn't have been surprised to see JOB play small ball for the entire game with D. Jones and Granger playing center to give Murphy a rest.

Trophy
02-04-2010, 06:29 PM
http://my.nba.com/cms/Indiana%20Pacers%20Blogs/Caught%20In%20The%20Web

(Conrad Brunner)

Price to get first start against Pistons
Rookie point guard continues his season of progress

From the second round to a spot on the roster to regular place in the rotation, it's been a season of progress from rookie A.J. Price. He'll take yet another step Friday when he makes his first career start against the Pistons in Conseco Fieldhouse.

Veteran starter Earl Watson will miss the next two games due to the death of his grandmother, so Price will move up Friday and again Saturday in Milwaukee against Brandon Jennings and the Bucks.

"I'm going to take it and try to run with it," Price said. "Just go out there and try to do what I've been doing regardless of how many minutes I get, try to bring the same tempo, same intensity and just try to run the club."

Price was bumped into the rotation on Jan. 2, filling the backup role in 18 games since, averaging 9.8 points and 2.2 assists while shooting .438 from the field and .369 from the 3-point line.

"It's done a lot for me, personally. It's given me a lot of confidence," said Price of the chance to play regularly. "I'm still taking it game by game. Each game is a different task and I'm still learning on the fly. It's been a great opportunity for me so far."

Price has impressed with his maturity and ability to run the pick-and-roll effectively. He's not as much of a creator as Watson but is a more effective 3-point shooter and his ability to space the court could prove crucial.

"I think he's been playing solid basketball," said Coach Jim O'Brien. "It's not so long ago he was starting every game for Connecticut. Certainly he's got his hands full with (Detroit's Rodney) Stuckey because of how strong he is, so we'll see. Everything that changes for A.J. is good for him so getting a chance to start will be very good for him.

"He's had his ups and downs, he's done some good things, he's gotten lost defensively some games, but he plays with confidence and I just think he needs to be out there as many minutes as possible because that's the only way to really develop a point guard in the NBA, to give him experience. I think this experience has been a great thing for him and a great thing for us from the standpoint of being able to evaluate what we have in him."

Price's start will leave Travis Diener as the only player on the roster that hasn't started at least one game this season.

Ford moves back into the rotation

With Price in the starting lineup, T.J. Ford will serve as the backup for the next two games. Ford hasn't played since Dec. 30, when O'Brien opted to make Watson the starter and shift Price to the backup role.

"It's been tough," Ford said. "You want to play any time you're on the roster. All 15 guys here want to get out there and try to be as productive as they can. But it's a waiting game, it's out of my control, so I'll just do the best I can to stay in shape and continue to work on my game and when that day comes, it comes."

Ford started 25 of the first 31 games, averaging 9.9 points and 3.6 assists. He struggled mightily from the 3-point line, making just 1-of-28.

After sitting for more than a month, Ford may have some rust to knock off, but the veteran has kept himself prepared.

"I think T.J. is a gamer, a very competitive guy," said O'Brien, "and I think he'll step up."

Conner earns praise from O'Brien

O'Brien was back at practice Thursday after missing Tuesday's 130-115 victory over Toronto to attend his mother-in-law's funeral. He praised the job done by assistant Lester Conner, who filled in for the head coach.

"I think Lester did a great job," O'Brien said. "I told Lester when we were coming back from Toronto (after a 117-102 road loss on Jan. 31), 'I'm not going to kibbutz, I'm not going to talk to you. You've been doing this a long time.'

"I think Lester's head coaching material. I've thought that for a long time. At some point in time somebody's going to realize that and he's going to make somebody a great head coach."

O'Brien had been starting a small lineup but Conner went big, starting Roy Hibbert and Troy Murphy in the frontcourt.

"I've been around Coach O'Brien a long time so I know what he wants and how he wants it," said Conner. "Now, what he did say to me on the plane was to do whatever I needed to do to get a win. He said, 'You have it, go ahead and get it done.' We did some things differently as far as offense but defensively we didn't. We ran a couple of wrinkles with the screen-and-roll plays and just told them to attack. If you looked out there on the floor there wasn't too much stuff that was new."

Conner filled in for O'Brien once before when both were in Philadelphia and the head coach came down with a severe case of the flu. The 76ers beat Atlanta, so Conner's record as a temp is 2-0.

"It was fun, especially when you know you're prepared and ready to go," Conner said. "The coaching staff did a heck of a job with suggestions and input and what we needed to do. They had fun with it, I had fun with it and the guys had fun with us. It was good for everybody involved."

Shade
02-04-2010, 06:31 PM
Too bad for T.J. that he returns at the same time that JOB does.

Brad8888
02-04-2010, 06:35 PM
TJ gets 20+ minutes each of the next two games, and we beat Detroit and stay close to Milwaukee and the answer for continued playing time then becomes "TJ has proven in practice that he deserves to play" and he will be back in the rotation.

It will be Price 20, Ford 20, Watson 8 or so when Watson returns.

LG33
02-04-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm looking forward to tomorrow night's game. Ford coming back is just the spike in interest I was looking for.

pristinecollector
02-04-2010, 10:25 PM
Watson was posting on his Facebook awhile ago that his grandmother wasn't doing well. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.

gummy
02-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Watson was posting on his Facebook awhile ago that his grandmother wasn't doing well. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not.

Yeah. See post #25 in this thread.

http://pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=955214&postcount=25

pristinecollector
02-04-2010, 11:08 PM
Yeah. See post #25 in this thread.

http://pacersdigest.com/showpost.php?p=955214&postcount=25

Oops! Sorry about that, I missed that portion of the post. Thanks for the info :blush:

Naptown_Seth
02-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Well222 tweet

Wells222

ford to backup aj price vs pistons on friday
Holy S***!!! A rational choice. What team is this? Who's pulling my leg here?

I don't need 30 minutes of TJ, but it would be nice to get 10-15 at times unless he really fouled them up for a few games in a row.

edit - oh, that sucks for Watson

I predict TJ goes 10-15 with 6 assists, then 7-15 with 7 assists, then returns to DNP-CD for 4 weeks. No, really, that's not in green.

Naptown_Seth
02-04-2010, 11:52 PM

Head is playing PG/SG as the SHORT player who can score a few points off his own dribble.

Head gets hurt for a couple of games.

Ford nowhere to be seen despite the obvious gap left by Head's absence.

Head returns, clearly still with lingering effects in his game, but goes back to his normal role anyway, thus showing that JOB liked having that scoring punch combo in the game.

Logic = Fail

Team up or down by 20 late in the 4th. Diener and Josh play, Ford is dressed but does not play.

Logic = Fail

There have been tons of spots where he could or even should have been used but wasn't. And why put him behind Diener in the rotation? Why put him in a suit instead of Diener?

Your simple explanation has more plot holes than Avatar.

Sookie
02-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Holy S***!!! A rational choice. What team is this? Who's pulling my leg here?

I don't need 30 minutes of TJ, but it would be nice to get 10-15 at times unless he really fouled them up for a few games in a row.

edit - oh, that sucks for Watson

I predict TJ goes 10-15 with 6 assists, then 7-15 with 7 assists, then returns to DNP-CD for 4 weeks. No, really, that's not in green.

I don't know, I think people have forgotten how god awful he was earlier in the season.

dal9
02-05-2010, 12:34 AM
^ agree. he was much worse than anything watson and price produced lately.

i forget where i heard this, maybe on an away broadcast on LPBB, but obrien was quoted as saying that they made a decision early on in the season that if they were out of it by the end of december, they would put price into the rotation. then it was a question of who to keep in the starting lineup, ford or watson, and watson had been simply outplaying ford.

edit: ford is getting dnp-cds bc obrien doesnt want to insult a vet by giving him scrub minutes.,. read that somewhere too.
i buy it.

Sookie
02-05-2010, 12:43 AM
^ agree. he was much worse than anything watson and price produced lately.

i forget where i heard this, maybe on an away broadcast on LPBB, but obrien was quoted as saying that they made a decision early on in the season that if they were out of it by the end of december, they would put price into the rotation. then it was a question of who to keep in the starting lineup, ford or watson, and watson had been simply outplaying ford.

i buy it.

It's funny that the team has a better shot at winning with the Watson/Price PG lineup..

9-20 with Tj/Earl (actually, technically one of those wins was Watson/Price)
8-10 with Watson/Price