PDA

View Full Version : Murphy staying put?

Hicks
02-01-2010, 10:54 AM
With Jeff Foster done for the year, and Tyler's ear issue likely causing him to miss another month, does this not almost certainly mean that the Pacers will not try to trade Troy Murphy this month?

I guess out of desperation I'll hold out a tiny sliver of hope, but essentially I think he's staying put now. :(

travmil
02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
Yes because the presence of Murphy will almost assuredly vault us into playoff contention. Then when Foster and Tyler are back we can start dominating teams like we were when they were playing and make the playoffs for sure.

Unclebuck
02-01-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't think it really impacts the decision to trade Troy. if the pacers believe they are getting a good deal for Murph, I think they will still make it regardless of Tyler and Jeff

Unclebuck
02-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Yes because the presence of Murphy will almost assuredly vault us into playoff contention. Then when Foster and Tyler are back we can start dominating teams like we were when they were playing and make the playoffs for sure.

Was Hicks question sarcastic?

travmil
02-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Was Hicks question sarcastic?

No. A question doesn't have to be sarcastic for a sarcastic answer to be appropriate. If it makes you feel better I could have said:

Yes Murphy is most likely staying put, but they should go ahead and deal him anyway, as it's not likely that his presence is going to make a difference or that Foster and Tyler were helping us beat teams anyway.

Better?

sportfireman
02-01-2010, 11:02 AM
I hope he's still out of here............. but IF we get a big man to replace him like maybe Hickson.......trade him..........I'll pay for the plane ticket.

And like it or not we have big men who can play the 4......Solo and McR........both defensive minded bigmen. And with Danny playing the 4(I don't like that but hey) Foster and Tyler shouldn't affect Murphy being traded. HOPEFULLY!!!!!!!!

Zelmo Beatty
02-01-2010, 11:48 AM
UB-

I hope you're right. When it comes to possibly being caught short
at the PF spot, aside from draft slotting considerations, if they
don't make the playoffs, does it really matter wether the Pacers
win 26 games, 29 games or 32 games ?

Sparhawk
02-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Dahntay played PF last night. We already have Murph's replacement. Maybe McRobert's can finally get playing time.

Smoothdave1
02-01-2010, 12:43 PM
My guess is that JOB will ask Bird to keep Troy simply for the fact that Foster may be done with basketball and Tyler is out indefinitely as I'm sure JOB will argue that they are too thin at the position. However, if I'm Bird, I look to do the following:

-- Make the Cleveland deal for Z & pick? I don't know that we can get Hickson. If we can, you have to make the deal.

-- Buy out Z and allow him to return to Cleveland before the playoffs

-- Look at making a trade for a PF. In the event you can't land one, look at free agency as there are several 4's available for rather cheap (vet min). Guys like Mikki Moore, Melvin Ely, etc. would be available. Maybe you tap into the D-League and grab a guy for cheap too? This could be a plug for the final few months of the season. Plus, we also have guys like Josh & Solo that can grab a few minutes.

The thing is, regardless of whether or not we deal Troy, we're not going to make the playoffs and we'll have his nearly 12 million on the books for next year if he stays put. Meanwhile, assuming a deal does go down, that clears 12 million for next season and perhaps we gain some relief if and when Foster decides to retire. Maybe we're able to sign a guy this summer for the MLE or something close to it? Maybe we're involved in a sign-and-trade or a team is looking to ship out one of its players and we have the cap space to absorb a deal. Not to mention that in the summer of 2011, we'd have Ford, Tinsley, MDJ, Solo and Josh as expirings.

We then use the pick in the draft this summer to land a guy like Aminu, Cousins, Favors, Monroe, Patterson or Davis.

sportfireman
02-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Dahntay played PF last night. We already have Murph's replacement. Maybe McRobert's can finally get playing time.

Everyone plays PF in Flim's system hell AJ might play Tues......

Roaming Gnome
02-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I guess it depends whether getting under the lux tax is worth more to PS&E then giving the illusion that Troy will provide enough wins to make a difference in the win column or at the gate.

Personally, I think they are aware that this season is lost with/without Troy if making the play-offs was their only goal. I don't think they are that oblivious. They'll trade Troy if that is what they really want!

count55
02-01-2010, 12:58 PM
I guess it depends whether getting under the lux tax is worth more to PS&E then giving the illusion that Troy will provide enough wins to make a difference in the win column or at the gate.

Personally, I think they are aware that this season is lost with/without Troy if making the play-offs was their only goal. I don't think they are that oblivious. They'll trade Troy if that is what they really want!

If that's what they really want, and they can find a taker.

SycamoreKen
02-01-2010, 01:02 PM
[QUOTE=sportfireman;953760]I'll pay for the plane ticket.

QUOTE]

Better watch out or Troy might take you up on that!:p

sportfireman
02-01-2010, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=sportfireman;953760]I'll pay for the plane ticket.

QUOTE]

Better watch out or Troy might take you up on that!:p

I'd do it.........:-p

I'm sure we could get a pot going around here anyways a "Fly Away Troy Fund" lol

Infinite MAN_force
02-01-2010, 03:36 PM
If that's what they really want, and they can find a taker.

I thought it was a well known fact that Cleveland wants Troy, just a question of whether the Pacers will accept a trade that will only net us cap relief without any sweetener? I can't picture ownership paying the luxury tax next year under almost any circumstances if we can get out of it.

CableKC
02-01-2010, 07:14 PM
I don't think it really impacts the decision to trade Troy. if the pacers believe they are getting a good deal for Murph, I think they will still make it regardless of Tyler and Jeff
I disagree. If TPTB still think that we can make the Playoffs.....trading Murphy would certainly impact those chances ESPECIALLY having no other Frontcourt Big Men that JO'B would ACTUALLY USE on a regular basis ( I'm talking about Foster and Hansbrough....we all know that JO'B uses Solo and/or McRoberts when he has absolutely no choice ).

The question comes down to whether it's more important to get Financial Relief now as opposed to thinking that they can legitimately make the Playoffs.

Despite whatever the LT threshold for the 2010-2011 season is going to be....whether the Pacers are really "backed up against the wall" and must trade one of the Big 4 NOW as opposed to later....my preference will always be to move Murphy now rather then later. I really think that we will improve the Team through "Addition by Subtraction" if we move Murphy now.

Unfortunately, I think TPTB overvalue Murphy and are still hoping for a Playoff spot. I'm all for competing and winning now....but not at the potential cost of paying a premium next season.

Shade
02-02-2010, 11:02 AM
It's starting to look more and more like we'll be stuck with this roster and coaching staff through the remainder of the season.

CableKC
02-02-2010, 12:11 PM
It's starting to look more and more like we'll be stuck with this roster and coaching staff through the remainder of the season.
Woohoo.....another season of mediocrity :suicide4: The problem is that this is worst then last year....cuz ( I'm guessing ) that most of us reached this low-point in the season sometime after the trade-deadline and March...the mere notion that many of us have nearly given up on this team at the beginning of the year does not bode well for the Team.

When the Pacers have hardcore fans like us on PD that begin to question what the Team is doing WHILE seriously losing interest in the Team....that's bad.