PDA

View Full Version : Jim now saying Murphy will start over Roy majority of the time

Hicks
01-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Per Mike Wells:

@Wells222 o'brien said murphy will likely start the majority of the games with hibbert coming off the bench

BlueNGold
01-31-2010, 06:54 PM
Troy is a far more experienced veteran who can certainly handle the C position. He reminds me of a bigger, stronger Dirk Nowitski with his ability to clean the glass along with that sweet stroke. Roy really does need to watch & learn at this point.

I see the rest of the season looking good with Murphy averaging close to 15 boards, 15 points and 45 minutes a game. Great move JOb!

Sparhawk
To bad Wells didn't included "At least until he's traded."

pwee31
surprise, surprise

Brad8888
01-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Hissy fit ensues:

FO'B. FO'B. FO'B. FO'B. FO'B. FO'B. FO'B. FO'B.

Hissy fit ends.

How predictable.

God and His Three Point Grace Help Us.

BlueNGold
01-31-2010, 06:58 PM
To bad Wells didn't included "At least until he's traded."

I doubt those trade rumors have any substance. Troy really represents a new era in the NBA where the C can hit from anywhere on the court including 25 feet out. Seriously, I think he's going to change the game. All we needed to do was sit Roy down. I have not been this optimistic since the 90's.

Brad8888
01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
I doubt those trade rumors have any substance. Troy really represents a new era in the NBA where the C can hit from anywhere on the court including 25 feet out. Seriously, I think he's going to change the game. All we needed to do was sit Roy down. I have not been this optimistic since the 90's.

Please keep in mind that there is a way to enhance your posts.

Hicks
01-31-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm just going to tell myself we're tanking, even if it's not true.

Infinite MAN_force
01-31-2010, 07:12 PM
I know it won't happen, but I would be so happy if Jim got fired. This team needs to be developing the youth, get a coach in here that understands this. If we aren't focusing on the young players, there really is no reason for me to watch anymore this season.

Dr. Awesome
01-31-2010, 07:13 PM
So, we've heard about how much of a workhorse Hibbert was over the summer this year. Who wants to bet he comes back next season and starts shooting 5 3-pointers a game?

ksuttonjr76
01-31-2010, 07:13 PM
I could have told Mike Wells that myself.

ksuttonjr76
01-31-2010, 07:14 PM
So, we've heard about how much of a workhorse Hibbert was over the summer this year. Who wants to bet he comes back next season and starts shooting 5 3-pointers a game?

If JOB is still coaching, it actually wouldn't surprise me.

Bball
01-31-2010, 07:15 PM
2 things...
First, is anyone surprised by this comment (or admission)?

Second, it's Jim O'Brien. Don't waste time paying attention to what he says. His words are meaningless.

Dr. Awesome
01-31-2010, 07:15 PM
If JOB is still coaching, it actually wouldn't surprise me.

JOB will still be coaching, thats what pisses me off the most. They already picked up his option, he has his bag full of excuses, and Bird is too stubborn.

Roaming Gnome
01-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Meh. He did it against the Cavs because he knew we'd lose either way. Now he can point at this game and say, ... "See, we lost with Troy coming off the bench. That's why I start him!"

He'll start next game.

-- Steve --
:ding:
We have a winner...

Hopefully we can see this kind of rotation (Roy starting w/ small line-up) for 8-10 more games and see if it settles in. The Cavs/Lakers games showed that we clearly are not capable of competing with real playoff teams, so there's nothing to lose in trying to find a stable, developing roster.

Sorry Seth, you just crapped out on your bet.

BlueNGold
01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
Please keep in mind that there is a way to enhance your posts.

I've used the green font many times before...but this is real. I've been converted to a believer after considering how well Troy will open up the middle for Rush, Granger and Price. We need to get Roy out of the way. He's slowing down the pace of the offense and cannot stroke the 3.

Think about it. If Troy plays a full 48 minutes, we may get 35-40 threes up a game. That translates over 100 points just on 3's....while the opposition only scores about 65.

Bball
01-31-2010, 07:24 PM
I've used the green font many times before...but this is real. I've been converted to a believer after considering how well Troy will open up the middle for Rush, Granger and Price. We need to get Roy out of the way. He's slowing down the pace of the offense and cannot stroke the 3.

Think about it. If Troy plays a full 48 minutes, we may get 35-40 threes up a game. That translates over 100 points just on 3's....while the opposition only scores about 65.

Think not only what that does for the +/- stats but also our defensive stats. BRILLIANT!!!

Pass more Kool Aid over this way....

PacerDude
01-31-2010, 07:26 PM
BlueNGold - call a hotline. There's help out there for you. Don't be Obi-ized. You'll lose basketball brain cells.

Just say NO.

Brad8888
01-31-2010, 07:30 PM

Step away from those 3's...

Slowly, EASY now...

That is what FO'B wants, not what you want.

Don't give in to the pleasures of the 3. It might feel really good when it works, but you know in your heart of hearts that it is lies, ALL LIES and a foundation built on quicksand.

It will make you feel cheap and DIRTY and you will lose your self respect if you keep believing it. From what I've heard, you can even go blind if you believe it often enough.

BigRik
01-31-2010, 07:30 PM
At least we don't have to debate wether or not to tank any more, JOB has already made that decision for us. Or you could say that Bird has by not firing JOB, if you want to go there.

vnzla81
01-31-2010, 07:32 PM
that is a good way to tank,............and I like it.......:cry::cry::):):):hmm::laugh::laugh::dance ::dance:

pwee31
01-31-2010, 07:34 PM
The fact that J'Ob got an extension, really doesn't give me hope for much of a change in the next year and a half

BlueNGold
01-31-2010, 07:37 PM
Think not only what that does for the +/- stats but also our defensive stats. BRILLIANT!!!

Pass more Kool Aid over this way....

I spent the last 24 hours analyzing tape and I'm finally beginning to understand where JOb has this team headed. It's clear this team is improving. We won more than twice as many games in January as compared to December. We are on a roll and this last move putting Murphy in charge of the paint is perhaps one of the best moves I have seen in professional sports. In short, JOb is taking a page from the Colts playbook by going small....but he's doing even better. He's going small and weak to fool the opposition and catch them off guard.

People seem to think that big, strong, long, athletic guys help you control the interior but they forget that we will have a quicker, smaller team crashing the boards that can slip quickly into the gaps to grab boards. We have guys with a "nose for the ball" like Murphy who is unparalleled when it comes to sweeping the glass. I really can't believe we limit his minutes in some games to under 40.

Seriously, I really didn't understand JOb until just recently. Perhaps he clued me into it when he started stressing small ball recently. I apologize for any disparaging remarks I made before I really got to understand the game plan. We all really need to realize that he is in a much, much better position to know how to win games and isn't going to let the public in on all this cutting edge Pacer strategy.

PacerDude
01-31-2010, 07:41 PM
I spent the last 24 hours analyzing tape...........Duct ??

Brad8888
01-31-2010, 07:45 PM
I spent the last 24 hours analyzing tape and I'm finally beginning to understand where JOb has this team headed. It's clear this team is improving. We won more than twice as many games in January as compared to December. We are on a roll and this last move putting Murphy in charge of the paint is perhaps one of the best moves I have seen in professional sports. In short, JOb is taking a page from the Colts playbook by going small....but he's doing even better. He's going small and weak to fool the opposition and catch them off guard.

People seem to think that big, strong, long, athletic guys help you control the interior but they forget that we will have a quicker, smaller team crashing the boards that can slip quickly into the gaps to grab boards. We have guys with a "nose for the ball" like Murphy who is unparalleled when it comes to sweeping the glass. I really can't believe we limit his minutes in some games to under 40.

Seriously, I really didn't understand JOb until just recently. Perhaps he clued me into it when he started stressing small ball recently. I apologize for any disparaging remarks I made before I really got to understand the game plan. We all really need to realize that he is in a much, much better position to know how to win games and isn't going to let the public in on all this cutting edge Pacer strategy.

Please, BNG, don't leave us...it's not worth it. You'll find yourself in all kinds of compromising positions trying to get your fix, and a lot of the time it just won't be there for you, which will just leave you wanting it all the more.

For our family...

For the children...

For Hicks, Peck, Seth, Bball and the rest of us who are non-believers you gotta get your life back together, man. C'mon, we will help you. We will be there for you when those nasty 3's fail you, and when FO'B fails you.

Please! If you won't do it for any of us, do it for yourself!

Roaming Gnome
01-31-2010, 07:47 PM
O'Brien is:
Passionate
About
Crushing
Everyone's
Recreational
Spirit

Brad8888
01-31-2010, 07:49 PM
Duct ??

Shh!

I think they are using that, amongst other things, to keep him there until he actually cracks and gives in. I believe this may be a "situation" where he needs help.

BlueNGold
01-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Shh!

I think they are using that, amongst other things, to keep him there until he actually cracks and gives in. I believe this may be a "situation" where he needs help.

Sorry, Brad, I've crossed over to the other side. PacerDude must have a crystal ball with the duct tape comment.

Murph, JOb and I all like our duct tape. I fully understand now why JOb favors Troy. If you only knew....

obnoxiousmodesty
01-31-2010, 07:58 PM
I talked to my brother-in-law yesterday about the Pacers, specifically Murphy starting in place of Roy. He's the definition of a casual fan. His general comments included "boy they suck" and "I won't watch a game if Troy is in, but I will if Roy is playing." Needless to say, I was mesmerized by his insight. Anyway, what does this mean? Probably nothing, but it's a take from someone outside the board.

Infinite MAN_force
01-31-2010, 08:00 PM
Currently in the 4th qaurter against Toronto Hibbert with a +8, best on the team, Murphy with -24, worst on the team.

In Obrien we trust.

vnzla81
01-31-2010, 08:00 PM

you most me drinking the same thing that Buck drinks..................:D

Brad8888
01-31-2010, 08:13 PM
Sorry, Brad, I've crossed over to the other side. PacerDude must have a crystal ball with the duct tape comment.

Murph, JOb and I all like our duct tape. I fully understand now why JOb favors Troy. If you only knew....

Don't make me beg...:cry::cry::cry:

I know you will take tonight's game as further evidence to support your decision, but you still need to reconsider...:(

I know you now believe that 62% FG% for the Raptors at 2:41 to go in the 4th quarter is great defense, but please, be reasonable...:cry:

Talk to us, we are here for you. Day and night someone will be there during your darkest hours if you just let us in and allow us to help...:)

And I recognize that Murph at -25 +/- is meaningless because +/- doesn't reflect his brilliance accurately, but...:(

Please...:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

BornReady
01-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Per Mike Wells:

Pacersfan46
01-31-2010, 08:17 PM
We have a winner...

Haha, I was going to bring that post into this thread too. I guess I didn't have to. Called that one, eh?

-- Steve --

Kemo
01-31-2010, 08:19 PM

HEH..... I see what you are doin' here ...

I'll leave it at that ....

Troy is a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!

I hope Cleveland don't get him. If they did... they would be UNSTOPPABLE in the NBA !!

:dance::dance:

BlueNGold
01-31-2010, 08:23 PM
Don't make me beg...:cry::cry::cry:

I know you will take tonight's game as further evidence to support your decision, but you still need to reconsider...:(

I know you now believe that 62% FG% for the Raptors at 2:41 to go in the 4th quarter is great defense, but please, be reasonable...:cry:

Talk to us, we are here for you. Day and night someone will be there during your darkest hours if you just let us in and allow us to help...:)

And I recognize that Murph at -25 +/- is meaningless because +/- doesn't reflect his brilliance accurately, but...:(

Please...:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Troy shot 66% from 3 tonight, grabbed 8 boards and scored 14 points. He also had 3 assists and a steal...effectively making him responsible for 21 points....all in just 32 minutes. Yet another excellent game.

You want to know what's even more amazing? He did not pick up a single foul. Not one. Savvy defensive players know how to avoid committing the foul...and clearly the refs are respecting Troy's defense a lot more than some of you.

Keep in mind this was probably a below average game for Troy. I seriously think people need to stop expecting Troy to completely carry this team every night.

Edit: If you carry that 21 points in 32 minutes to 5 players operating at the same level for 48 minutes, we would have 157 points on the board. That's just how good Troy is and why he's terribly under-rated on this board.

Brad8888
01-31-2010, 08:37 PM
Troy shot 66% from 3 tonight, grabbed 8 boards and scored 14 points. He also had 3 assists and a steal...effectively making him responsible for 21 points....all in just 32 minutes. Yet another excellent game.

You want to know what's even more amazing? He did not pick up a single foul. Not one. Savvy defensive players know how to avoid committing the foul...and clearly the refs are respecting Troy's defense a lot more than some of you.

Keep in mind this was probably a below average game for Troy. I seriously think people need to stop expecting Troy to completely carry this team every night.

I'm sorry, BNG. The only reason the Troy did not make the All Star team is all of the stupid minutes awarded to Roy all year.

I recognize that Troy is much better than he showed tonight. His +/- probably understates his true value to the outcome of this game. Brandon must have weighed him down. He clearly belongs on other teams who do not saddle themselves with committing unnecessary fouls.

I still worry about you, though. Maybe sometime all of us non-believers can all get together and have a totally unexpected "conversation" with you...

Hoop
01-31-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm torn between laughing or crying. :hmm:

Naptown_Seth
01-31-2010, 10:41 PM
We have a winner...

Sorry Seth, you just crapped out on your bet.
As I heard the pregame I naturally thought of that thread. I wish I could say I'm surprised, but we all kinda figured.

Anthem
01-31-2010, 11:26 PM
I'm beginning to think the front office sees this the same way.

pacergod2
02-01-2010, 12:06 AM
Duct ??

Worm?!?!

Is there anybody who knows of reconnaissance procedures? I could find a long-range assault rifle to "take care of" the Pacers problems. I just need some help, this is assuming we are actually purposefully not in the mode of tanking. If I jump off the side of a very tall building, can I bring JOB with me?!?!

Peck
02-01-2010, 03:47 AM
You know what is sad is that I don't even care anymore. At this point in time I pretty much am just left to hope that he is not doing any type of long term damage to the younger players by making them think that any other coach will play this brand of basketball.

I have given up on any real significant growth for Roy or almost anyone else because any type of improved play is just fools gold because whoever comes in here next (whenever that is) is going to have to change the mentality of everyone on the team (whoever is left that is).

Will Galen
02-01-2010, 07:13 AM

I think in a way we are.

You think Bird likes it that Danny Angie has a title that he doesn't, as an executive?

An how did Danny get the players to get that title? His team sucked, and he mostly lucked into it.

I don't think the Pacers suck like the Celtics did, I think we need one good pick in the draft to set us up, but how do we get that pick?

Would you say not fixing something that is broke is tanking?

I don't think Bird would every admit to tanking unless it was on his deathbed. However, not fixing what's broken fits in very well with Bird's three year plan.

We have 116 games to go!

Putnam
02-01-2010, 08:13 AM
whoever comes in here next (whenever that is) is going to have to change the mentality of everyone on the team (whoever is left that is).

Yes. This is the big issue. Mentality.

travmil
02-01-2010, 08:24 AM
My interest in this team is already at an all time low. If JOB's still here next year it will be non-existent. I can't support this. JOB is the worst kind of clueless idiot. He's the kind that thinks everyone else is the clueless idiot.

QuickRelease
02-01-2010, 08:46 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/12738/minus-melo-billups-keeps-nuggets-rolling

"Incidentally, it appears they’ll be doing it more or less with the current roster. Multiple sources said Denver’s longstanding pursuit of Indiana’s Jeff Foster is over because he’s likely to require surgery for his injured back and miss the rest of the season."

More Murph all the time! Jeff down for the season likely means reluctance to trade Murph now.

the jaddler
02-01-2010, 08:48 AM
Im over it....doesnt matter anymore....murphy will play....J'OB will go down as the worst coach in pacers history, we will all be mad the rest of the year, and we will have a horrible record.......and the best part is we wont get a good draft pick and we deffintly wont get John Wall.

Yes I know im being pesimistic but hey im also a cubs fan.....

ksuttonjr76
02-01-2010, 09:01 AM
Im over it....doesnt matter anymore....murphy will play....J'OB will go down as the worst coach in pacers history, we will all be mad the rest of the year, and we will have a horrible record.......and the best part is we wont get a good draft pick and we deffintly wont get John Wall.

I'm in the same boat...

travmil
02-01-2010, 09:22 AM
http://images.bigfail.com/i/f/10/01/559.jpg

Pretty much sums up how I feel about this whole JOB hiring...

sportfireman
02-01-2010, 10:07 AM

Im not a Cubs fan but Im with you 100%

Naptown_Seth
02-01-2010, 07:56 PM
You know what is sad is that I don't even care anymore. At this point in time I pretty much am just left to hope that he is not doing any type of long term damage to the younger players by making them think that any other coach will play this brand of basketball.

I have given up on any real significant growth for Roy or almost anyone else because any type of improved play is just fools gold because whoever comes in here next (whenever that is) is going to have to change the mentality of everyone on the team (whoever is left that is).
I've been thinking about making a similar post. I'm moving close to the "who gives a s***" stage.

I think I'm almost as interested in following TWill and Blair at this point, or with my "Days till Gerald Henderson gets to play" which is currently going way worse than the McBob thing.

NuffSaid
02-02-2010, 04:07 PM
I want to try and be as fair as I can be concerning JOB's decision to play Murphy more over Hibbert. On the surface, I can certainly understand why so many of us (myself included) disagree with this, but when you really take a step back and look at things, you realize JOB really has little choice.

Hibbert is progressing, but he's no Shaq. He's no Dwight Howard. Nor is he anywhere near an Amare Stoudimire. In time, he might become the type of player who, like these others, can anchor the defense at Center, but he's not there yet. He's not at a point in his abilities nor in his career where he can come in an get the benefit of a foul call. He's not at a point in his talent level where he can dominate the paint and place fear in the heart of his opponent. He's slowing developing into a fine post player, but it's still going to take him some time - years - before he gets to where the most feared and respected Big Men are in this league. That said, I understand based on the skillsets he has shown why so many would rather see him start over Murphy. And I can respect that; but Hibbert isn't ready to be that post-player who can carry this team. Not yet.

Hibbert's continued development coupled with the absence of Foster and Hansborough has left the Pacers' front-court very depleted. Yes, we still have Solo and McRoberts, but neither really space the floor nor provide the defense necessary to force opponents to defend the paint and instead leave our perimeter shooters alone. With Hibbert, defenses will start to respect him more; they will defend him. Same could be said for Murphy once he steps outside the paint to score from the field. But neither Solo nor McRoberts will garner that type of defensive respectability.

As to the small-ball style of play JOB has decided to stick with, again I may not like it but I understand why he's doing it. He's trying to give this team as many scoring opportunities he can by "loading the floor" with shooters. Only problem is our shooters aren't scoring the ball very well at all from the perimeter. To this, it's classic "live by the 3, die by the 3." Right now, the Pacers are dying by it miserably.

The other aspect to going small is JOB is trying to take advantage our our player's speed. We have a few players who can score off the dribble, and our guys are pretty fast in transition. So, if we are able to get rebounds - which is another area this team seems to be getting beat terribly at - players can get out and run for easy baskets...provided they make those easy layups which as I've mentioned above the Pacers are missing foolishly.

What would I do if I were JOB?

Go with the more traditional lineup.

I'd start Hibbert (C) and McRoberts (PF) and use Solo (C) and Murphy (PF) as backups, and here's why...

With both Hibbert and Murphy you know you'll get some solid offense. So, why not split them up to ensure you have a solid scorer among both post-groups? When Hibbert is in the lineup, go with more traditional offensive sets, i.e., half-court. You can even run with this group because McRoberts has very quick feet and Hibbert has proven he can keep up in an uptempo style. By switching to Murphy and Solo, you still get the 1-Big, 4-Small group because you use Murphy as a 3-ball scorer, but you also get someone in Solo who can play above the rim. By keeping both of these players (McRoberts and Solo) on the bench, I think JOB is making a huge mistake by playing down to the defense instead of finding ways to stay with a more traditional style of play while at the same time getting Solo and McRoberts valuable playing time. Therefore, IMO, JOB is not taking advantage of their strengths: speed, quickness, aggressiveness.

Neither Solo nor McRoberts will give us very many points, but what they will do is try very hard to outhustle everyone on the floor in much the same ways that Foster and Hansborough provided. I think it's a big mistake not to play these guys. Still, I understand what JOB is trying to do. I just think he's wrong.

CableKC
02-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Neither Solo nor McRoberts will give us very many points, but what they will do is try very hard to outhustle everyone on the floor in much the same ways that Foster and Hansborough provided. I think it's a big mistake not to play these guys. Still, I understand what JOB is trying to do. I just think he's wrong.
It's sad that many of us here figured this out a long time ago and JO'B ( for some reason ) refuses to give either Solo or McRoberts enough minutes to help relieve our Frontcourt woes. I mentioned this in the other thread.....Granger ( since his return a few weeks ago ) has probably played more minutes at the PF spot then Solo and McRoberts over the same span of time.

I'm not suggesting that Solo or McRoberts is any real answer to our problems....they simply are bandaids for our frontcourt until we get another real Frontcourt Player in the lineup ( whether it be Hansbrough or someone we eventually draft ).

NuffSaid
02-02-2010, 11:50 PM
CableKC,

I agree with you and apparently so does Asst Coach Conner. It's just a shame that coach O'Brien won't make this same assessment. Solo and McRob needs to play not just for their own sake, but for the sake of this team.