PDA

View Full Version : Another tank topic

DEEman
01-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Ok here we go..

I hate losing. I hate losing on purpose. It has nothing to do with sport. Sport IS winning at all costs. Its emotion, its our boys i'm watching. We are the underdogs and i always want the underdog to win, no matter what..But i am getting confused more and more now. Really confused.. Because winning now isnt the best for this team by default..

Im watching the games lately and i don't know who i'm rooting for while watching. And that sucks big time. Its 1 am here when games start. My wife and daughters are sleeping and im sitting behind a 15,4 inch screen and really dont feel a big drive to root my guys..Puke. Why dont i just go to bed keeps going spinning in my head..

I enjoy those beautiful hooks from Roy, i get a big smile when Rush makes his opponent shoot at the rim.. But while i enjoy those moments i cant stop thinking that we are not gonna make it (the P/O) anyhow..

The more we lose the bigger the gap is getting.. Why should i root for the play-offs when we are 8 (eight!) games behind the 8th seed. 8 games behind and 35 games to go. So if we somehow with help from above win 50% from now on, Miami (a 50% team) should win 10 and lose 25. Please someone tell me that Miami can lose 25 games from 35..

I have been reading all the tank topics. We should still root for a Indiana-win because our mentality would be awesome in the future if they are 'winners'. Is that truly more important then a nice talented player added to our team? Believe it or not, but only 3 teams have more losses. 4th pick..

Help me out, should my head or heart win this battle, because not making a choice stinks..

Putnam
01-31-2010, 11:13 AM
We should still root for a Indiana-win because our mentality would be awesome in the future if they are 'winners'. Is that truly more important than a nice talented player added to our team?

Yes. Build the culture first, then fit the players into it. The tragedy of this season is that the team is moving in the wrong direction, attitude-wise.

I dont care if Indiana tanks or not. Just help me out, should my head or heart win this battle, because not making a choice stinks..

Go on to bed. If they win, the box score and the Tivo will be there in the morning. (But that's just the casual fan's view.)

DEEman
01-31-2010, 11:20 AM
But i question that a little. Does it screw the culture when saying the players: " hey guys, this is a mission impossible. We tried it, but it aint working. Lets face it all. Lets take the option to add a talented player and lets try 100% next season"

You don't think our players can play 110% next season because they tanked now?

Putnam
01-31-2010, 01:01 PM
You don't think our players can play 110% next season because they tanked now?

I don't think so.

mildlysane
01-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Seems to me like they are already tanking....

sportfireman
01-31-2010, 02:10 PM

then we need new players ..............and coach

Mourning
01-31-2010, 02:44 PM
Go on to bed. If they win, the box score and the Tivo will be there in the morning. (But that's just the casual fan's view.)

He's obviously not a casual fan and neither am I and I had his dilemma about 3 years ago and 2 years ago aswell, but since then I'm firmly in the "we need to add talent badly"-group.

The group hasn't been winning for years now. The playoffs haven't been reached for years now. The coach doesn't appeal and his style of playing even less. Sometimes you just have to admit that you just won't make it without an impulse in the talent department and maybe go in another playing direction. So, while there are no guarantees that you will end up with the better player the higher you draft, but your chances definitely increase.

I have stopped watching every game, I used to stay up late about 2 times a week and Tivo the rest. Now... I watch a game every two weeks and Tivo about two in that sametime. In other words I'm still by all accounts a huge fan, but I hate it that I can't get myself to keep following every game because I KNOW the team is just lacking and that won't be solved by the summer of 2011 or by some 12-15 pick.

I want us to win and I will always remain a fan. Always. But, I just hate the road to nowhere where I currently feel (and/or fear) we have been off to for several years and I just have that little voice in the back of my head that's saying to me "they will continue this course for the next 10 years if they could". And I don't like that. I'd like to think we would adapt our (strategic) course if what we do is simply not working, or worse, failing.

That's just my :twocents:.

Regards,

Mourning :cool:

PacerDude
01-31-2010, 07:46 PM
Help me out, should my head or heart win this battle, because not making a choice stinks..Believe your sphincter. Because we, as basketball and Pacer fans, are getting screwed.

GO!!!!!
01-31-2010, 07:55 PM
I was listening to the Tennis on the radio they other day and the host said he was talking to a retired player while commenting on a game.... and he asked the retired great, what does throw a tennis player's mind when he is down 5-2, the great said, concede the game, save energy and get ready for the next set...

* disclaimer, of course it was not the last set of the game..

well shouldn't we do the same ?

Erik
01-31-2010, 09:31 PM
I was trying to find the appropriate thread to post this in, I think this one will do...I am a bit depressed right now because I can't remember a time (it's gotta be years) that I totally missed a game. It looks like the Pacers played the Raptors today and I didn't even realize it. I'm not saying that I've watched or listened to every single game, sometimes things come up. But, I've always known when a game is being played. My "Pacer Pride" is low right now and I don't like it. I'm a "Sunshiner" and it's getting tough for me to get excited about a game:( If we're gonna be stuck with O'Brien (or Bird for that matter) I wish we would make a trade just for the sake of making a trade. I think stirring the pot a bit with a trade would help to give me some sort of interest for the 2nd half of the season (if that makes sense to anyone) Anyway, I'm just venting, thanks. Go Colts!!!!!!!!

Roaming Gnome
01-31-2010, 09:55 PM

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/05_03/tanksTOPFOTO_468x313.jpg
Yep, I seen it before...

pacers74
02-01-2010, 01:01 AM
I don't think we have to try to tank this year. It is just turning out to look that way. Too many injuries and bad coaching have got in this mess. Granger doesn't seem to be playing at 100%, Dunleavy might not ever get back to what we saw 2 years ago, Tyler has an ear issue and that makes us thin up front, and I can't remember the last time
Jeff played. Couple that with the mediocre talent we picked up in the off season and you get the record we have now. Luther Head is okay, but he should never be our leading scorer in a game.
I don't think they are tanking, but hopefully we can look forward to a top 5 draft pick.

Putnam
02-01-2010, 08:21 AM
DEEman's OP is not asking a basktball question, but a personal question. He's asking whether it makes sense for him to remain avidly tuned into Pacers games when they are so frustrating and discouraging. DEEman is in Holland, so it is not a question of his attending games.

I say, when things are going badly and the means of fixing it are beyond your control, sometimes the best thing to do is step away for a while.

d_c
02-01-2010, 07:17 PM
Ok here we go..

I hate losing. I hate losing on purpose. It has nothing to do with sport. Sport IS winning at all costs. Its emotion, its our boys i'm watching. We are the underdogs and i always want the underdog to win, no matter what..But i am getting confused more and more now. Really confused.. Because winning now isnt the best for this team by default..

People need to know what tanking actually is, and it doesn't involve intentionally throwing games (serious trouble with Stern and the government if you did that). That's not what it's about.

Here's a good example of what tanking is, and it's subtle. The Golden State Warriors are tanking. Their roster is decimated with injuries. They are signing D-League players by the droves to replace these guys.

Why is this tanking? Because technically speaking, tanking is not doing everything you can in your power to win as many games as you can.

The Warriors (if they wanted to), have enough expiring contracts to make a few trades to bring in some actual NBA players (instead of D-League) who could win a few more games. But what would be the point of that? Win 32 games instead of 26 doesn't do anything for you in this league. Never has and never will.

rexnom
02-02-2010, 01:41 AM
People need to know what tanking actually is, and it doesn't involve intentionally throwing games (serious trouble with Stern and the government if you did that). That's not what it's about.

Here's a good example of what tanking is, and it's subtle. The Golden State Warriors are tanking. Their roster is decimated with injuries. They are signing D-League players by the droves to replace these guys.

Why is this tanking? Because technically speaking, tanking is not doing everything you can in your power to win as many games as you can.

The Warriors (if they wanted to), have enough expiring contracts to make a few trades to bring in some actual NBA players (instead of D-League) who could win a few more games. But what would be the point of that? Win 32 games instead of 26 doesn't do anything for you in this league. Never has and never will.
By your definition, we tank every single game in which Troy Murphy plays more than Roy Hibbert.