PDA

View Full Version : @8pts9secs - JayRedd looks at Roy and gets some friends to do the same

count55
01-31-2010, 11:23 AM
http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2010/01/no-hibbert-in-rookiesophomore-game/

In the first piece, Jay concludes that Roy probably didn't deserve a spot on the sophomore team. However, his analysis shows that Roy certainly holds his own with a group that is made up of eight of the top ten picks from his draft class.

http://www.eightpointsnineseconds.com/2010/01/nba-experts-discuss-roy-hibbert/

In the second piece, Jay got some input from other bloggers throughout the league.

There's some really nice work here, and it's possible, if not likely, that Roy is our most crucial current player not named Danny.

Brad8888
01-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Iteresting pieces. Obviously very few who wrote these pieces has had an opportunity to watch the Pacers and Roy play / not play in a serviceable fashion at times.

Puzzling to me is Jared saying that Danny is one of the best shooters in the league. Last year, that probably was the case when he wasn't injured, but that cannot be the case this year due in no small part to his playing both through injuries and his continuin recovery, and is as much a factor in our losses this year as any factor that has changed between last year and this IMO.

Roy needs to play consistently to develop, which is finally starting to happen for him. What does need to happen is additional emphasis on feeding Roy in the post, despite what statistics may show. Some games FO'B does go to him, but many he does not, even when matchups don't seem that bad for Roy.

Roy also needs a big man coach to get to the next level more quickly than the current method of letting him find his own way.

At this time, Roy does not deserve to be in Dallas for the Sophs. He has not been given the opportunity to develop enough so far to achieve that level of notoriety. The only way that he will even approach being Rik lite is if there is a different coaching staff with a different skillset and a different approach to the game of basketball, and it is a shame that in the formative years of Roy's career that he is not receiving what he needs to maximize his potential. I really hope that something is done about that during the offseason, because Roy's development is key to our future success as a franchise if we intend to keep him and turn into a more traditional basketball team that plays fundamentally sound, balanced basketball both offensively and defensively, and at a slower pace.

ksuttonjr76
02-04-2010, 11:09 AM
IMHO, Roy should be the 2nd/3rd scoring option with Brandon Rush in a half-court offense scheme. Heck, if we could develop a strong post-oriented game, I wouldn't mind him being the 1st option and everyone feeds off his passing skills (a very underrated, overlooked skill that he has). Roy can be a great center as he gets stronger, and once he starts playing under a GOOD coach.

BigRik
02-04-2010, 07:39 PM
IMHO, Roy should be the 2nd/3rd scoring option with Brandon Rush in a half-court offense scheme. Heck, if we could develop a strong post-oriented game, I wouldn't mind him being the 1st option and everyone feeds off his passing skills (a very underrated, overlooked skill that he has). Roy can be a great center as he gets stronger, and once he starts playing under a GOOD coach.

What he said. It's hard to really judge how good our drafts and other player acquisitions have been because of the system they are playing. I know the horse has been dead for some time now, and I hate to keep beating it, but we need a coaching change. I think Bird has bought some good groceries, maybe he should step in and see if he can make a gourmet meal with them. JOB's cooking has been inedible this year.