PDA

View Full Version : Where's T-bird?

dlewyus
01-30-2010, 06:31 PM
There hasn't been a new thread from T-bird in awhile. :cry: I'm having withdrawal symptoms. He must be busy coaching, or maybe we're so bad he's lost interest. Sure would like to have his analysis on the season, coaching, players, future, or anything else he want's to write about. :buddies:

count55
01-30-2010, 06:39 PM
IIRC, he's coaching.

Justin Tyme
01-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Eastern Greene County coaching the T-Birds.

dlewyus
01-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Does anyone else here miss his threads? I know I do. Let's let him know. He's probably out there lurking.

Hicks
01-30-2010, 07:08 PM
I made contact with him the other week; he's just quite busy at the moment.

Tom White
01-30-2010, 07:12 PM
I made contact with him the other week; he's just quite busy at the moment.

I can certainly believe that. Back when I was in school (Brown County High) we used to play Eastern. Of course, that was so long ago that the history books only had three chapters.

Anyway, at a number of the small schools the coach also has some amount of teaching duties, so it can get hectic, I'm sure.

Naptown_Seth
01-30-2010, 07:25 PM
Yeah, I doubt he's even lurking. He expected to be really busy this year. He couldn't have picked a better year to stay busy during the Pacers season. :D

the jaddler
01-30-2010, 07:30 PM
Yeah, I doubt he's even lurking. He expected to be really busy this year. He couldn't have picked a better year to stay busy during the Pacers season. :D

yeah and he's much better off!!!!

Bball
01-30-2010, 07:42 PM
You mean a person could lose interest in this season's Pacers or the 3rd year of spray and pray basketball?

Oops... that should've been green font.

I miss T-Bird's contributions as well. I bet he doesn't want his kids anywhere near Jim O'Brien's horrible, horrible fundamentally flawed basketball style though.... unless it's to use as an example as to why you don't want to play that way and how easy it is to beat a team that does play that way (or how you can just let them beat themselves).

MillerTime
01-30-2010, 08:04 PM
He has some of the best threads on this site. He puts a lot of work into his work, especially around draft time.

the jaddler
01-30-2010, 08:43 PM
He has some of the best threads on this site. He puts a lot of work into his work, especially around draft time.

i remember when i met him last year at the draft party, he walked in with a notbook with paper sticking out of it, he had info on every player that was in the draft....i mean ever player, he also had a bazillion differnt ideas worked out....i personally thing that the pacers should hire him!!!

Deffintaly miss tbird posts!!!

thunderbird1245
01-31-2010, 02:12 PM
You guys are really way too nice. I appreciate all the kind words, I really do.

Hicks emailed me the other day just to check on me I think, which was very nice. As is said above, I am back on the sideline for the first time in a while, as varsity boys assistant for the Eastern Greene Thunderbirds. I am getting to help my best friend in coaching, whom I worked with in different capacities for years before work and life got in the way.

Eastern Greene by the way is a great small school about 20 minutes from my house here in Bloomington, 20 minutes the other direction from my office.

I'm not a teacher (though I went to school to become one, I didn't graduate....long story) so I work away from the school working for the government. That arrangement has worked out well, and I am glad my new job working at Crane has allowed me once again to coach and teach the game I love so much. For my hiatus from coaching I worked in business, and worked so many long demanding hours that coaching just wasn't a real legitimate option. I missed the kids, the teaching, the preparation, and all the rest that goes into it. I am so happy that that I was given an opportunity to get back in.

Like most things in my life that I am passionate about, I just can't do something halfway....I feel like I can't be effective unless I am fully committed and dediciated to it. So, coaching isn't just a part time thing I can do half heartedly......let me give you an example of what a typical day might be for me during the basketball season:

4:45 AM : wake up, get ready for work. I have about a 45 minute drive to work, and I need to get there by 6:00 AM so I can leave early enough to not miss any more practice than absolutely necessary.

6:00 AM-11:00 AM : At work, doing my real job.

11:00-11:30 AM eat lunch at my desk, while I email practice plan ideas back and forth with my other coaches, and/or work on scouting information on upcoming opponents.

11:30-3:00 At work, doing my real job.

Leave my office at 3 or so, drive the 20 minutes to the school, and get there usually right as we are done stretching.

3:20-5:00 or so, be at practice, preparing our team and working with the players

5:00-5:30 Usually a quick coaches meeting, so we can discuss practice that we just had, start to plan the next day, and handle any issues we need to figure out.

5:30-rest of evening : This is where the dedication to doing the job right has to be there.....at 5:30 or so, here are some examples of what I might do on a typical weeknight:

1. Go scout an upcoming opponent live if they are playing
2. Watch tape of ourselves playing, being self critical.
3. Watch tape of a future opponent.
4. Go watch a game or practice of our feeder system teams. For instance, tomorrow night I will watch our elementary kids play a rival school from 6-8PM, then watch game film after that.

Keep in mind with all that that all the normal stuff you need to do in everyday life I need to do as well....laundry, eat, clean, etc etc. Thankfully I have the world's greatest and most supportive girlfriend who is an absolute angel and my best friend to help out when I need it.

A typical date night for us when I am coaching consists of dinner on the way to a gymnasium somewhere, with a popcorn at the game. I'm trying to convince her that keeping a shot chart while I scout an opponent is romantic, but I am not sure she sees it that way quite yet! ;)

Along with all of that stuff, you develop relationships with your players. I might get a few texts a night from some of them, or talk to a parent or grandparent or uncle or whatever. We did a charity coat drive at Thanksgiving that one of my players organized with some help, and we did a Christmas charity give toy giveaway to some of our school districts poorest families that took some work. We also hosted all 27 kids in the program for an all night New Year's Eve party at the school gymnasium where we let them have alot of fun, followed by a morning breakfast and 11AM practice on New Year's Day.

Then of course you have to deal with the media occasionally, officials, drivers, managers, and the small town high interest community that we have.

There is always something else you should be doing that you don't have time to do. For instance, I have 3 game tapes of a future opponents I am going to watch today, but I am putting that off to write this!

Basically, I am just very very busy during the season. It will slow up some after the tournament (hopefully we might make some noise in March) and I will have some more time to watch my beloved Pacers play and some time to post. Right now, I rarely see an entire game, so I really don't have alot to add to the discussions that I read on here when I sneak onto the internet at work and read this great site!

I'll have spring basketball, camps, coaches clinics, open gyms, individual workouts, AAU games, etc etc this summer, but I will still have time to participate much more fully than I am right now.

And for those of you who really enjoy my draft stuff, I am still going planning to do all of the same stuff I have been doing the last few years with that. I have a ton of games taped and ready to watch when my own season is over sometime in March, which is what I have always done anyway....I haven't watched much college basketball live this year, but I have the groundwork laid and the games on tape ready to watch and breakdown. Hopefully I'll be able to add some intelligent discussion to the draft like I hopefully have done the last 2 years.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

By the way, coming off 2 straight losing seasons at least, my young Tbirds are playing well. We've won 6 out of our last 7 to get to a record of 11-5 on the year. We have very little size and not alot of quickness, but we play our guts out, and we play very very smart basketball most of the time I think. Our kids are fully bought in, listening very well to what we are teaching, and really are bonding and getting along well. Our chemistry is very good, and our kids obsorb alot of detailed scouting information that I am not sure other programs really do.

Last night we defeated mighty Bedford North Lawrence for the first time in school history, which was nice for us and our fans. It was coaches vs cancer night, plus it was our small school's homecoming game. Our community really turned out for the game, and we had a great atmosphere there at the "thunderdome". 48-47 was the final score, as we outscored them to close the game 9-3 in the last 3 minutes or so. We had a sophomore guard hit the game winner with 21 seconds to go. By the way, next year we will bring back all but 2 of our varsity players, as we start 4 underclassmen. Add to that a very good junior varsity squad (they are 11-3) and the future looks pretty good right now in Eastern Greene County.

Those of you aren't big high school basketball fans don't understand this, but for a school of approx 325 to beat a school with an enrollment of approximately 1800 is a giant accomplishment, particularly if that school has a 6'9 center getting looked at by mid to high major D1 colleges. Our center guarding him is 6'2 by the way. Our kids played great team defense last night though, holding him to just 8 points and 4 rebounds.

We will have to do it again this week, as we will play another 6'9 strong center on Saturday, a kid who has already signed with IUPUI. A huge rivalry game with a very good conference opponent comes first on Friday night, so this week will be even busier than normal as we prepare for both games.

That win last night also gave us 2 wins over 4A schools for the first time in school history (in the same season), as we also defeated Martinsville earlier this year.

Anyway, sorry to be so long winded. I was just really surprised to see this thread this afternoon when I checked the site, and it gave me an opportunity to brag a little on all the high quality young men I am getting to work with this year.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have one last thought to share.

Basketball is such a great game. We all know how much I love it personally, and anyone who takes the time to write about it and argue about it so passionately on a message board must love it too. That we all can agree on.

It is very easy as a fan to to let the losing get you down. We always tell our kids that they have 2 choices when adversity hits: "You can either get bitter or get better."

Let's hope our Pacers players don't get bitter. Let's hope they play hard, play with better effort and concentration, and continue to stay positive. We all want better success for our franchise.

But what I want to tell you all is this: Let's not let OURSELVES get bitter either. Let's force ourselves to stay positive, see the good things, post high quality discussions and topics and not let our teams ineptitude drive us down to their level. Let's not get frustrated so much that we don't enjoy the experience of watching us play and grow as a team. Let's not let our disgust at times with Jim O'Brien distract us from the big picture that as bad as things are right now, that there will be better days ahead.

Let's become BETTER posters, even better information, better ideas, think outside the box. Let's be even better at respecting others, better at appreciating other teams, better at posting new thoughts and in welcoming new perspectives and members. I am not on posting much during the season, but I read this board almost every day, and I sense too much despair and negativity beating us down at times....let's not let ourselves let losing become contagious to our overall lives.

We aren't very good this season, I know that. But better days are ahead...no one needs to jump ship now. When things turn around in a year or two or three or four, you'll be happier and feel the excitement and pleasure of seeing it develop even more because you stuck with it thru the darkness until the light finally came. Trust me.

If you feel your bitterness toward our bad play overwhelming you, maybe you can come watch my team play sometime. We aren't great, but remember what Larry Brown said about trying to "play the right way"? Our program embodies that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I miss you guys. In 6-8 weeks, I'll be back alot more than I am now, but for now just know that I am having a blast doing what I love to do.

As always, the above is just my opinion.

Tbird

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2010, 02:37 PM
Thank you so much for posting on here and making me feel even less accomplished in my personal life :)

In all seriousness I really appreciate your love for the game

Do you still play?

McKeyFan
01-31-2010, 03:25 PM
I got a better question: are you married?

gummy
01-31-2010, 04:03 PM
I got a better question: are you married?

A close reading of Tbird's post will give you the answer to this question (No, but he has a girlfriend). :)

McKeyFan
01-31-2010, 04:06 PM
A close reading of Tbird's post will give you the answer to this question (No, but he has a girlfriend). :)

Well, that makes sense.

I know he's quite talented, but you'd have to be superhuman to be married with that schedule.

thunderbird1245
01-31-2010, 06:08 PM
Well, that makes sense.

I know he's quite talented, but you'd have to be superhuman to be married with that schedule.

I am glad you said that McKey fan, I couldnt tell if you were amazed at that schedule or were just trying to flirt with me ;)

You know, being a coaches wife means you have to be really special. Without the people behind us supporting us, we all couldn't do the things we all love to do. It takes a truly great woman to stay with us crazy people doing this type of work.

I'm not doing anything special or different....doing things like this are what all coaches do if they care about their programs and kids. My friend (an assistant coach for our opponent last night who also works with me) drove in from Iowa all night on Friday night so he could go to one of their younger teams midseason tournament 90 miles from his school, and 120 miles from where he had to be last night to play us. Then he hurried back, stopped at his house quickly to change, and went to their school for their walkthrough before riding the bus to play us.

Knowing them as I do, I bet they soulsearched alot today, and watched alot of tape trying to figure out how to make sure they don't fall victim to the same type strategies we used last night.

No time to rest, the season grinds you sometimes, but it is all worth it.

Tbird

Bball
01-31-2010, 06:18 PM

He didn't say he wasn't married... he just said he had a girlfriend. [Insert Tiger Woods Joke Here]

Peck
01-31-2010, 06:28 PM
Yea I knew T-bird was going to be gone this season but I wanted to chime in and let him know that I missed his posts as well and hope that he can make our next gathering since he wasn't at the last one.

Without you there Duke runs amuck and gets drunk.

Brad8888
01-31-2010, 08:47 PM
Tbird is flat out a saint. A man amongst men. I hope someday to become more like the person he must be to post what he does in the way he does.

Go Thunderbirds!!!!!!!!

reast57
01-31-2010, 09:28 PM
I have to congratulate you on the win, T-Bird, even though I graduated from BNL. It's fun to see a small school compete with the big kids.