PDA

View Full Version : Murphy knows he could be traded....

Smoothdave1
01-30-2010, 11:47 AM
Interesting article that sheds a little more light on what may transpire in the next few weeks!

Murphy the center of trade talk
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100130/SPORTS04/1300354/1004/SPORTS/Murphy-the-center-of-trade-talk

Veteran big man is not a certainty to leave Indianapolis
By Mike Wells
Posted: January 30, 2010.

The NBA's Feb. 18 trade deadline is less than three weeks away and the Indiana Pacers are actively working the phones trying to salvage a disappointing season.

The player that most likely could be moved before the deadline is forward Troy Murphy.

Murphy is one of several players who have been linked to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

"It's a business and I understand there's a possibility that I could be moved," Murphy said. "I can't get away from the ongoing rumors because Travis (Diener) is right next to me (in the locker room) and he is always informing me of what's being talked about."

A possible snag in moving Murphy is the uncertain return dates of rookie Tyler Hansbrough and Jeff Foster.

Hansbrough is out indefinitely with an inner ear infection. He has missed 14 of the past 18 games. It's unknown when Foster, who faced the possibility of being traded, will return from his sore lower back. He has not played since Dec. 19.

Moving Murphy without getting a power forward back in return will make the Pacers thin at that position.

The Pacers aren't against acquiring long-term contracts if they think that player fits into their future because the team is expected to be way under the salary cap after the 2010-11 season.

Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said last week that there was not "any doubt" that the team planned to try to move point guard T.J. Ford.

Trading Ford is easier said than done.

Ford's play has been so disappointing this season that he's third, and sometimes the fourth, point guard on the roster. He has not played since logging nine first-half minutes against the Memphis Grizzlies on Dec. 30.
Ford's contract is also a sticking point. Any team interested in him would have to pick up the remaining part of his $8.5 million salary this season, and Ford plans to pick up his $8.5 million player option for next season.

This article makes it sound like Foster is no longer on the block? Could he possibly retire during the summer and work for the Pacers in a PR capacity? Also, as if there were any doubts, Ford will pick up his option.

Hicks
01-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Now I just picture Diener browsing PD and reporting all the mean **** that gets said about Troy back to him.

PacerDude
01-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Murphy knows he could be traded....
And water knows it could be wet.

Smoothdave1
01-30-2010, 01:39 PM
And water knows it could be wet.

The Murphy news obviously isn't anything new, but the interesting pieces of the story are that Foster seems like he may not be dealt now and the Pacers are willing to take on long-term deals -- a sign that maybe they don't expect to be players in free agency in Summer of 2011?

sportfireman
01-30-2010, 01:48 PM
Hansbrough is out indefinitely with an inner ear infection.

everything in this article is old news we already knew about

Murphy could be traded.........check
Foster on the trade block.......check
Ford on the trade block..........check
Tyler out indefinitely.............:eek:
indefinitely........:eek: that news worries me because Tyler seems to be a very hard worker, he wouldn't be sitting back taking it easy just because.....hope this doesn't turn into something too serious.

Noodle
01-30-2010, 01:50 PM
I hope they do trade him, and I'm sure Murphy does too. Only if the trade results in future cap relief. I don't want us to take on another player long-term. The whole dump a player for long-term contracts has killed us for five years now. Between IND and NY it has seemed like an eternity waiting for bad contracts to expire. Murphy is one of those bad contracts and we don't need another. I really like the Big Z for Murphy deal's potential.

For the record, I would be rooting for Troy after he gets traded because he deserves to be on a winning team for the first time in his entire professional career.

Anthem
01-30-2010, 01:52 PM
a sign that maybe they don't expect to be players in free agency in Summer of 2011?
My theory is that we were NEVER planning on being major FA players in summer '11. The plan was always to use the expirings to pick up a second star.

Anthem
01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Welcome to my world.

Noodle
01-30-2010, 01:53 PM
My theory is that we were NEVER planning on being major FA players in summer '11. The plan was always to use the expirings to pick up a second star.

Eww

sportfireman
01-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Welcome to my world.

I'm not liking your world Anthem!!!!!!!!!!!!:censored:

Smoothdave1
01-30-2010, 01:55 PM

The question is: Who is that 2nd star?

Tom White
01-30-2010, 02:01 PM

Or, what team has a "star" they would trade for a shorter contract? Perhaps a team facing serious luxury tax problems a couple years down the road, with a duplication of quality players at a given position?

Anthem
01-30-2010, 02:06 PM
Or, what team has a "star" they would trade for a shorter contract? Perhaps a team facing serious luxury tax problems a couple years down the road, with a duplication of quality players at a given position?
Or a team whose one star isn't enough to get it done, so they'll trade him for expirings / young talent / picks. Think Boston/Seattle... or Boston/Minny.

Noodle
01-30-2010, 02:09 PM
Boston is also a big market and we're not. Plus, we are the team with luxury tax problems right?

BlueNGold
01-30-2010, 02:12 PM
Could it be that Murphy's departure in a trade depends on Hans or Foster returning? I hope that's the hold up. When is the Feb. trading deadline?...end of Feb?

Noodle
01-30-2010, 02:13 PM
Feb. 18

Justin Tyme
01-30-2010, 03:06 PM

Bingo, we have a winner.

PacerDude
01-30-2010, 03:21 PM
The question is: Who is that 2nd star?The real question is: Who is the 1st 'star' ??

Anthem
01-30-2010, 03:42 PM
The real question is: Who is the 1st 'star' ??
2008-2009 Granger

MLB007
01-30-2010, 04:00 PM
Welcome to my world.

And this would SO be the time for him to be getting a lot of minutes too.

PaceBalls
01-30-2010, 05:15 PM

Kevin Martin
git r done Larry!

Sookie
01-30-2010, 05:17 PM
Kevin Martin
git r done Larry!

I still like the idea of Okafor, honestly.

Psycho T
01-30-2010, 05:20 PM
indefinitely........:eek: that news worries me because Tyler seems to be a very hard worker, he wouldn't be sitting back taking it easy just because.....hope this doesn't turn into something too serious.

When it comes to sports.. indefinitely usually means until he is ready not that he is out for the rest of the year.

sportfireman
01-30-2010, 05:52 PM
When it comes to sports.. indefinitely usually means until he is ready not that he is out for the rest of the year.

i know but having an actual time table is a lil easier than indefinitely,,,,,,,,to me.

Kemo
01-30-2010, 06:24 PM
I wonder...

I hear that Boston is possibly looking to move Ray Allen ...

Troy Murphy's Remaining Salary

2009/2010 = $11,047,619
2010/2011 = $11,968,253

TJ Ford's Remaining Salary

2009/2010 = $8,500,000
2010/2011 = $8,500,000

Ray Allen's Remaining Salary

2009/2010 = $19,766,860

Trade ID #5418185

LOL Don't I wish ....
I don't really even see how trade checker says this trade is possible....
But even so.. why would Boston want 2 players with an extra year attatched to them.? unless they actually "wanted" them.. lol

ah well I CAN dream...

heh

Sookie
01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
I wonder...

I hear that Boston is possibly looking to move Ray Allen ...

Troy Murphy's Remaining Salary

2009/2010 = $11,047,619
2010/2011 = $11,968,253

TJ Ford's Remaining Salary

2009/2010 = $8,500,000
2010/2011 = $8,500,000

Ray Allen's Remaining Salary

2009/2010 = $19,766,860

Trade ID #5418185

LOL Don't I wish ....
I don't really even see how trade checker says this trade is possible....
But even so.. why would Boston want 2 players with an extra year attatched to them.? unless they actually "wanted" them.. lol

ah well I CAN dream...

heh

Well truthfully, they could use a backup for Rondo...And Garnett gets hurt a lot..so Troy would be very good insurance...Maybe if we threw in Luther Head so they can have a replacement at shooting guard...:laugh:

And according to Hollinger this trade would decrease our wins by six. Lol. I somehow doubt it..

McKeyFan
01-30-2010, 07:09 PM
Ray Allen?

His main weapon is the three and he is not great on defense. A bad fit here.

/green.

Naptown_Seth
01-30-2010, 08:38 PM
Eww
Why's that? See, if you TRADE for a player he must join your team. It's like free agency except your team calls all the shots.

I just wish Anthem and I would stop being so unreasonable about the inner ear infection. I mean Anthem had to go and post the link to the MLB player who had to retire because of his and that's just fear mongering on his part.

Nothing bad is going to happen. This is the Pacers after all. It's all working out perfectly.

CableKC
01-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Could it be that Murphy's departure in a trade depends on Hans or Foster returning? I hope that's the hold up. When is the Feb. trading deadline?...end of Feb?
This is what I'm thinking. Foster and/or Hansbrough would be the likely Players that JO'B would play at the PF/C rotation IF Murphy was traded.

Because we are still in "compete for a Playoff spot" mode......this means that if Murphy is gone....who is JO'B going to rely upon in order to pickup the slack? Certainly not McRoberts or Solo.

CableKC
01-31-2010, 01:25 AM
Ray Allen?

His main weapon is the three and he is not great on defense. A bad fit here.

/green.
You mean that he'd be the perfect fit here......:rolleyes:

Zelmo Beatty
01-31-2010, 08:07 AM
If Bird passes up a good deal for Murph because Foster and Hans
aren't due back soon enough that he's worried about being 'too
thin' at the PF spot, he's nuts.

Smoothdave1
01-31-2010, 12:18 PM
The Akron Beacon Journal had a blurb about Murphy being dealt: http://www.ohio.com/sports/thomas/83168032.html

Another fire sale is reportedly happening with the Indiana Pacers. They are playing poorly and are over the salary cap but not subject to the luxury tax. It has been reported that only All-Star Danny Granger in untouchable.

That means Troy Murphy, a player whom the Cavs covet, according to league sources, is available. He put up 10 points and four rebounds against the Cavs on Friday night. He can score and defend near the basket, averaging 14.1 points and 9.8 rebounds. He will be 30 later this year, and his contract is up in 2011. His contract numbers are almost equivalent to Ilgauskas'. But the word is the Pacers want more than that.

BRushWithDeath
01-31-2010, 12:20 PM
He can score and defend near the basket, averaging 14.1 points and 9.8 rebounds
This writer has obviously never seen Troy Murphy play a basketball game.

vnzla81
01-31-2010, 12:30 PM
He can score and defend near the basket [/B]

:confused: ......................:lolchair::lol:

WetBob
01-31-2010, 12:47 PM
2008-2009 Granger

That is not a championship caliber best player on a team. Granger's game is way too one-dimensional. It was that season too, but many people just refused to recognize it. He is a spot up shooter.

In 2008-2009, a lot more shots went down, and he wasn't nearly as reliant on 3's but the writing was clearly on the wall. He was and obviously is an absolute gunner. He gave up even trying to be a good defender, instead deciding all he cared about was the big exciting help side block or steal. He's an extremely below average passer and ball handler.

If we give Murphy grief for getting his obligatory 10 points and 10 rebounds in the first quarter of every game, shouldn't we give Granger grief for always going into "launch mode" in the 4th quarter of games when he thinks he needs to get his?

Sookie
01-31-2010, 12:51 PM
That is not a championship caliber best player on a team. Granger's game is way too one-dimensional. It was that season too, but many people just refused to recognize it. He is a spot up shooter.

In 2008-2009, a lot more shots went down, and he wasn't nearly as reliant on 3's but the writing was clearly on the wall. He was and obviously is an absolute gunner. He gave up even trying to be a good defender, instead deciding all he cared about was the big exciting help side block or steal. He's an extremely below average passer and ball handler.

If we give Murphy grief for getting his obligatory 10 points and 10 rebounds in the first quarter of every game, shouldn't we give Granger grief for always going into "launch mode" in the 4th quarter of games when he thinks he needs to get his?

There is more than one way to build a team than the customary superstar second star and solid role players.

Detroit Pistons won championships because they were a bunch of really good players who played like a team and bought into that philosophy. And in that case, someone like Granger could be the best player on the team.

I think Indiana would have a lot more luck building a team like that, then trying to get two superstars here.

vnzla81
01-31-2010, 01:04 PM

I agree with you man, that is the reason why I think that if the pacers get a top five pick and they have a chance to get one of the top guards they should do it, Danny is the Robin for a Batman and the only way to do it(get a Batman) if you are the pacers is trough the draft.

Brad8888
01-31-2010, 02:01 PM
How about this. Lets go for broke and bring back Baby Al with Marcus Landry for Murphy. Al has all of the traits coveted by FO'B. I don't know what his contract looks like, though. He also is suffering from a sore left knee at the moment, so he would fit right in here.

He is a big who "stretches the floor" by shooting 3's (or at least used to be able to) and actually can block an occasional shot and get an occasional board. Murphy can be paired with LeBron there instead of in Cleveland, and is likely to already to have a "New York state of mind" right about now, and I am sure that Al is ready to go to a team that he can become the dominant inside presence. Paired with Roy, teams would have to choose who to guard, where now they don't.

Yes, I hear all of you screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". And you are all absolutely 100% correct when thinking about the game from a fundamental standpoint. However, it depends on how much we want Murphy gone. Al is actually a better fit than Murphy here because he is more athletic, even now, and enough so that we could probably include him in other trades next year as a sweetner depending on his contract.

CableKC
01-31-2010, 02:07 PM
I think that the forum is beginning to come around to take notice and shift some of the blame to Granger for his love of the 3pt shot.

PacerDude
01-31-2010, 02:15 PM
It has been reported that only All-Star Danny Granger in untouchable.That's wrong on 2 levels.

1) He's tradeable.

2) It should read 'former' all-star.

wintermute
01-31-2010, 03:18 PM
How about this. Lets go for broke and bring back Baby Al with Marcus Landry for Murphy. Al has all of the traits coveted by FO'B. I don't know what his contract looks like, though. He also is suffering from a sore left knee at the moment, so he would fit right in here.

harrington has an expiring contract. donnie isn't letting go of any 2010 cap space for troy murphy.