PDA

View Full Version : Think Happy Thoughts - What positive things can we take from the first half of the season?

01-29-2010, 11:30 PM
While this season seems to be circling the drain of eternity, we still have a lot to be looking forward to. What positive things can we take from the first half of the season?

[1] Of course we can all be pleased with the fact that we have Danny Granger. Though Danny hasn't played at an all-star level for a few games, it is certain that Danny is the future number 1 or 2 player of the Pacers for the next decade. [2] A.J. Price. Can I say that again? A.J. Price is at the very least the future 6th or 7th man of the Pacers. Jim O'Brien was absolutely right when he said that A.J. is becoming, "The steal of the draft." [3] Tyler Hansbrough may have struggled with a few finicky injuries, but you can't deny he has a future in the NBA. He too shares the same fate as A.J. Price, and in my opinion he is at the very least the future 6th or 7th man of the Pacers. I believe Tyler has the potential to develop into a solid 10 and 8 role player, if not a 14 and 9 starter. Tyler makes me think Antonio Davis. He's not a clone, but there is something there that brings back a lot of memories. [4] Roy Hibbert will, I repeat, will be an all-star before his career is over. A perennial all-star? No. However, I do think a time will come when Roy is very consistent and capable of controlling the post.

I think the key to the Pacers future is very simple: a different offensive scheme. A slower scheme more prone to setup traditional-style plays will only improve Roy, and (I believe) will make Rush and Jones a worthy shooting guard combo. This is certainly not unobtainable, though it is perhaps more obtainable than finding a number 1 or 2 player to compliment Danny Granger - the true challenge of the Pacers this offseason.

CableKC
01-29-2010, 11:34 PM
I think the key to the Pacers future is very simple: a different offensive scheme. A slower scheme more prone to setup traditional-style plays will only improve Roy, and (I believe) will make Rush and Jones a worthy shooting guard combo. This is certainly not unobtainable, though it is perhaps more obtainable than finding a number 1 or 2 player to compliment Danny Granger, which will be the true challenge of the Pacers this offseason.
Although one should never say that's impossible.....your suggestion ( despite how logical it may sound given our lineup ) completely goes against how JO'S likes to run his offense/defense....so it's pretty much unobtainable with our current Coach. If there is one thing that all of us have learned is that JO'S lives and dies by his offense and will not move an inch from his gameplan.

pwee31
01-29-2010, 11:38 PM
Aj Price was a nice 2nd round pick that late in the draft.

Hansbrough looks like a player IF he can stay healthy.

We're a year closer to 2011

cdash
01-29-2010, 11:51 PM
We're a year closer to 2011

The lockout?!?

I Love P
01-29-2010, 11:52 PM
We are half a season way to the Lottery Draft.

:dance:

vnzla81
01-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Im not mad about this team losing anymore, lest calm down and wait for the draft, I liked what I saw today from Brandon and AJ, today was not a good game for Roy but we know that he can do better than that, the same goes to Granger, I just hope they keep playing the young guys for the rest of the year I don't care if they lose, they need the experience and lest hope that Birds trade the big contracts and start to rebuild this team for real.

Hoop
01-29-2010, 11:57 PM
Nobody has got hurt from all the bricks being launched at Conseco.

No shoot-outs (with guns) down town.

ksuttonjr76
01-29-2010, 11:59 PM
Roy, Brandon, and Price.

Putnam
01-30-2010, 12:00 AM
As Hoop says, I'm happy the Pacers are good citizens.

Solomon Grundy
01-30-2010, 12:02 AM
That before the season ends we will lead the NBA in three point attempts.

ksuttonjr76
01-30-2010, 12:43 AM
That before the season ends we will lead the NBA in three point attempts.

I wish that I can say the same about 3PT% which would justify the attempts.

BlueNGold
01-30-2010, 12:49 AM
No more Tinsley

TJ is benched

AJ Price is at least a serviceable backup

Getting closer to the "burn Troy and Dun's contract" year.

Rush is getting more consistent and aggressive

Roy has improved tremendously since last year

Lance George
01-30-2010, 12:49 AM
We're finally far enough into the tunnel of despair that we can see the light at the other end. We've got a guy with perennial All-Star talent, a promising center, and what looks like three solid young prospects in Hansbrough, Rush, and Price. We should have great draft pick to add an exciting rookie, and we have a ton of financial flexibility on the way.

We will have all the opportunity in the world to turn this franchise around in the next 6-20 months. If we fail... eh, let's not think such things.

PacerPride33
01-30-2010, 12:59 AM
that we are positioning ourselves for a good lottery pick

cdash
01-30-2010, 01:00 AM
Happy thoughts? We aren't paying Jamaal Tinsley $8 million to sit at home anymore...wait, what? We are paying him to play an important role for a playoff hopeful team? Oh...

BlueNGold
01-30-2010, 01:12 AM
Happy thoughts? We aren't paying Jamaal Tinsley $8 million to sit at home anymore...wait, what? We are paying him to play an important role for a playoff hopeful team? Oh...

Whatever he does for them...good or bad...is good for us. The only exception is if we meet Memphis in the NBA Finals this year.

Not sure what the chances are on that though...:laugh:

Hicks
01-30-2010, 01:12 AM
It's half-way over.

Bball
01-30-2010, 02:21 AM
There really are no positives and that's a shame. We've managed to create more question marks than answers. I'll go with the obvious answer as well- the only positive we can take away from the first half of the season is that we're into the 2nd half and closer to the end.

jeffg-body
01-30-2010, 02:42 AM
So far I can see that our youth is starting to develop and that the role players are learning their specific roles.

Another positive to me is that it will be a year closer to utilize those expiring contracts and hopefully get some young talent from them.

As of right now it looks like we will be getting a pretty good draft pick this year instead of a borderline lottery pick. I am not gonna hold out hope for the John Wall sweepstakes but we should get a quality player wherever we pick.

The last positive seems to be that we are going along as expected in the three year plan to rebuild. It takes some fortitude to continue with the plan when fans are screaming for changes to be made.

CableKC
01-30-2010, 03:36 AM
I have 3 good things I can take away from the season so far.

1 ) We have ( at the very least ) a very solid Backup PG in AJ. I'm just glad that JO'B figured this out and actually did something that we never thought he'd do....actually give him the chance to show that he can run the show the way that JO'B wants.

2 ) Hibbert is showing why Bird drafted him. When given the chance to play and he is playing with an athletic PF....he's an effective player. The only negative part I can take away from him for now is that he still get's ticky-tacky fouls. But I think that as he matures, he's smart enough to figure out how to avoid them.

3 ) I don't know if this is truly a "positive" thing or not.....but because JO'B continues run the most unathletic Frontcourt with some PF/C rotation of Murphy/Hibbert/Granger......we continue to lose games....which can only help us with the Draft Lottery. Despite our best efforts....we are still losing games. :shrug:

But to be fair, it's not all JO'Bs fault. I'd guess that we'd be much better if we actually used McRoberts/Solo more often from time to time or we weren't devasted by injuries to the rest of the key Frontcourt Players ( Hansbrough and Foster ).

Putnam
01-30-2010, 08:59 AM
I wish that I can say the same about 3PT% which would justify the attempts.

Bibbity-bobbity bacon! Your wish is granted!

The Pacers are 1357/2884 from 2-pt range, and 344/1051 from 3-pt range. That makes their productivity on 3PA .981, which is higher than for 2PA (.941). :happydanc

sportfireman
01-30-2010, 09:54 AM
We're paying $16 mil to two guys who arent even playing for us at all........... Pacers are loaded.

Who could we pay that kind of money to?????:hmm:

AJ PRICE, Rush and Roy!!!!!!!!!! are my happy thoughts

BlueNGold
01-30-2010, 10:16 AM

The Pacers are 1357/2884 from 2-pt range, and 344/1051 from 3-pt range. That makes their productivity on 3PA .981, which is higher than for 2PA (.941). :happydanc

I know you know better than this...but I just have to say...

This logic ignores the fact that taking it into the paint does numerous positive things for you.

First, you draw more fouls on the opposition. This leads to more free throws which is often the difference in the game. This factor by itself equalizes this difference.

Second, when you force the opposition to guard the interior, they have a more difficult time guarding the perimeter. That should lead to more open looks and more converted 3's. It's not about how many shots you take, but how many you make.

Third, it puts your team in a much better position for offensive boards and kickbacks. That's new additional possessions for those unfamiliar with this concept after watching Troy Murphy....a guy who has the lowest percentage of offensive boards on the team versus total boards...and maybe the lowest in the league for a front court player.

Finally, while it takes more energy to drive to the bucket...defenders (who actually defend) always spend more energy trying to get stops because they have to react to the offensive player.

Yes, we do not have much in terms of personnel to do this...but we could certainly do more of this. We just don't play the guys who can even begin to do some of it. These are the prime reasons why JOb's coaching style is a big loser....and the reason why Troy Murphy's seasonal plus-minus is really bad....and the reason why we had a 5 game winning streak...and the reason why we have a better record without Troy.

This is easy stuff but some just don't see it.

As for happy thoughts, I just know that Troy and JOb's time is more limited as each day passes.

kellogg
01-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Top 8 lotto pick?

DaveP63
01-30-2010, 10:52 AM
Roy is improved. AJ looks like a solid pick. Everything else...:eek:

jhondog28
01-30-2010, 11:13 AM
Happy thoughts? I really like how Price and Hibbert have come along. other than that I got nothing to be happy about really. I will say this I appreciate the fans that still come out to Conseco and pay to support the team. Those are the true indiana fans. I think the Pacers organization should track the ticket buyers and who shows up to the games. If the fan shows up to 70% of the Pacers games I think the organization should do something special for them. Give the floor seats for a game or a suite for one game for free at teh end of the season to show appreciation.

Brad8888
01-30-2010, 11:27 AM
The Colts are in the Super Bowl?

Otherwise, at least right now we aren't looking at Dunleavy doing his Craig Sager impression behind the bench.

thinking...

still thinking...

Oh! Brandon has at least reached a level of play that is more like he was at the end of last season, while not actually getting there overall

...wow, this is tough

The 1980's eventually led to Reggie being drafted which eventually led to a long period of reaching the playoffs consistently, so maybe we are getting ready to see the pendulum swing in our favor at some point in the next couple of years (if we make it that far)...

Sorry, that part in parentheses didn't belong here. My bad. I will have to go back and edit that if I remember to...if only I had more drive and desire than our players do at this point I wouldn't have let that happen...oops, guess I did it again...

At least we aren't going through that whole knee thing with Blake Griffin like the Clips are!

Hicks
01-30-2010, 11:31 AM

We suck so bad at 2 pointers that 3 pointers are statistically more productive.

...... yay?

Psycho T
01-30-2010, 05:35 PM
1) I think Hansbrough could stand to lose about 20 pounds. He isnt fat but he is a truck. His weight/mass could also play a part in his shin problem. I didnt hear anything like that until his senior season at UNC so maybe him adding significant muscle each year has something to do with it and his body/legs never caught up. Loosing weight might also allow him to regain the jumping ability he had in his early UNC years ( 360s , reverse baseline dunks and such ).

His post up game would be much better if he would not get so low.. Gives up height and makes much of his moves slow and easy to read.

2) Hibbert has a nice hookshot but I would like to see him be able to do a running hook as it would lead to more foul shots.. Oh and stop hip checking people for dumb fouls.

I Love P
01-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Hanbrough is a bust...never plays. Did he ever have this ear infection at UNC? It's starting to **** me off, honestly.

I Love P
01-30-2010, 05:58 PM
Where it says "****" is pi$$. i should have put ticked, sorry Hicks. Didn't know pi$$ was a cuss word. Don't kick me off.

Have a good night everyone.

8 more days away

Hicks
01-30-2010, 06:01 PM
Where it says "****" is pi$$. i should have put ticked, sorry Hicks. Didn't know pi$$ was a cuss word. Don't kick me off.

Have a good night everyone.

8 more days away

What happens in 8 days?

BRushWithDeath
01-30-2010, 06:03 PM
What happens in 8 days?

Super Bowl XLIV.

McKeyFan
01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
I'm happy that JOB does not engage a strategy of dyeing his sideburns but leaving the rest of his hair gray. That would look silly. He does it the other way around.

So that's been a successful strategy for him, and I suppose the law of averages ensures that only so many of one's strategies can be successful at any given time.

JonnyB83
01-30-2010, 07:36 PM
Keepin things short and sweet. Roy has improved so much. It seems every game he does a few things that deepen my man crush on the guy. And it looks like Brandon is starting to figure things out a bit. Also AJ Price. Is it just me or are these three things sounding like a broken record on this thread. OHH and the fact that I got season tix for $217 is a positive in my book!

Justin Tyme
01-30-2010, 07:59 PM
Only 35 games left of having to endure Jimmy's helter skelter run n gun little "D" coaching. And that's a positive for many!

Other positives has been the development of Price. The recent coming out of Rush... offensive. Hibbert's progress. Nice lottery pick this June. Finding out someone has a dog that can out coach O'Brien. Really there hasn't been that many positives for this season.

Naptown_Seth
01-30-2010, 08:31 PM
What happens in 8 days?
Spoken like a die hard Pacers fan.

I'm impressed. :cool::D

By the way, it occurs to me that we might be getting close to a "say goodbye to the coach" game countdown thread. We might be a bit too far out still, but certainly by the time we get to 20 games left. I mean we got all those annoying counters here anyway, it's a natural connection of the two.

I Love P
01-30-2010, 09:55 PM
I am a die hard Pacers fan, but also a die hard Colts fan. I'm 22 years old and have watched colts/pacers games ever since I can remember (my dad raised me right). Nothing upsets me more than having Lucas Oil Stadium sold out, but before Manning, I remember when you could walk up to the RCA Dome and buy general admission tickets up top and move down a la Conseco Fieldhouse. I work at a trucking company (Pitt Ohio Express) and see people wiping away the dirt and write "Go Colts" on the back of the trailers. I used to do that years and months ago. I now write "Go Pacers" on the back of trailers, people that see me write that say, "Pacers?" I say yea? I ask, "are you a fan?" they respond, "back when Reggie played." My point exactly, all these "Colts fans" are bandwagon, when Peyton retires and the Pacers are good, Conseco will be sold out and Lucas will not be. I hate bandwagon fans, its my biggest pet peeve.

Go Colts
Go Pacers

Goin' to the bars....League Pass is clutch, tomorrow night 6 PM.

8 days away

PacerGuy
01-30-2010, 11:39 PM
My Top 10:
10). G.Areans & J.Crittendon do not wear Blue & Gold - & never will!!!
9). All Simon building window's are bullet-hole free! (2 yrs 22 days & counting!)
8). No drafted players were busted for dealing drugs while still on our roster.
7). Our Ping-Pong garden is starting to bloom, bearing more fruit then l/y.
6). If we had Q vs. Daunte, we would likely run out of players & have to forfeit!
5). A Fever Championship banner is not be distracting our 3-pt shooters.
4). T.Murph has gone from Anchor-to-Asset to many GM's eye's.
3). The "Digest" is 2-months + "Crash-Free!!!
2). JO'B is one step closer to looking for a new J-O-B.
&,.....
1). McBob will be well rested for the play-off push!

Bball
01-31-2010, 05:51 AM
My Top 10:
10). G.Areans & J.Crittendon do not wear Blue & Gold - & never will!!!
9). All Simon building window's are bullet-hole free! (2 yrs 22 days & counting!)
8). No drafted players were busted for dealing drugs while still on our roster.
7). Our Ping-Pong garden is starting to bloom, bearing more fruit then l/y.
6). If we had Q vs. Daunte, we would likely run out of players & have to forfeit!
5). A Fever Championship banner is not be distracting our 3-pt shooters.
4). T.Murph has gone from Anchor-to-Asset to many GM's eye's.
3). The "Digest" is 2-months + "Crash-Free!!!
2). JO'B is one step closer to looking for a new J-O-B.
&,.....
1). McBob will be well rested for the play-off push!

You forgot:
In 2 years no team representative has had to make a statement saying players hanging out with murders is not acceptable or allowed.

Trader Joe
01-31-2010, 06:01 AM
The Fieldhouse is still pretty nice I guess.

Bball
01-31-2010, 06:56 AM
The Fieldhouse is still pretty nice I guess.

Not according to Phil Jackson...

PacerGuy
01-31-2010, 08:33 AM
You forgot:
In 2 years no team representative has had to make a statement saying players hanging out with murders is not acceptable or allowed.

That was my #11 / "James White" answer.
(AKA as: it "Just missed the cut")