PDA

View Full Version : Any chance of going after Amare?

I Love P
01-28-2010, 11:00 PM
With all the trade rumors swirling about Amare Stoudemire leaving Phoenix, I don't see why the Pacers don't go after him. He would fit in perfect at the 4 next to big Hibs. ESPN Trade Machine works out with Foster (who would be able to guard bigs in the playoffs, if Foster is still alive) and Murphy (who would fit perfectly alongside Nash) for Amare works.

Price
Jones
Granger
Amare
Hibbert

7th seed....

Get it done Bird.

MyFavMartin
01-28-2010, 11:04 PM
0 chance.

Big questions about Amare's work ethic/drive, whether we could resign/extend him, and Larry wouldn't want to give up what it would take to get him (young talent like Hibbert/Ru****yler, which other teams like Chicago or New Jersey would easily part with).

01-28-2010, 11:06 PM
Would Amare benefit the Pacers? Yes. Is it possible the Pacers have the personel required for obtaining Amare? Yes. Would Amare resign with the Indiana Pacers? No. For that reason alone the Pacers will not pursue Amare.

I Love P
01-28-2010, 11:11 PM
If the money is there, then yes he would resign with the Pacers. In 2 years, when his contact is up though, I wouldnt want him resigned because he'd be that much older. Better FA's out there in the summer of '11.

HC
01-28-2010, 11:29 PM
Perhaps I am thinking of another player, but I am thinking that every time I have heard Amare I have also heard big market. Indianapolis certainly isn't that.

ThA HoyA
01-28-2010, 11:52 PM
I don't know how anyone could pass that type of talent up... Regardless if at the moment we think he doesn't sign in 2 years u try at least to get him, because 2 years is a long time to win-over the player...

I'd give up easily anyone besides granger.... The one thing about Indy yea it may not attract big time free agents but how many players after leaving always loved playing in this city.. Or have not hesitated to resign...

In 2 years easily w/ granger and Amare the team can regain playoff position and regain attendace...

pwee31
01-29-2010, 12:11 AM
It would take too much to get him. We don't have any expiring contracts heading into this offseason, other then Granger who else would they want? Hibbert, Hansbrough, or 1st round pick? Going after Amare without Granger would pretty much leave us that for the future... Amare and Granger. If Amare doesn't resign, we're back to Granger and the 3 year plan

LoneGranger33
01-29-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't think he's a winner, so I wouldn't sign him. Just one man's opinion though.

jeffg-body
01-29-2010, 12:29 AM
I like Amare a ton, but I don't know if we are willing to give him the cash on an extension that he wants. Don't want to get Peja nightmares again. He would be a great fit between Hibbert and Granger. I don't know if it would be a good selling point to him to say, "check out the young core we have right now. They need a leader on the floor with Granger to turn a young team into a good young team". He could be the beast of the east, you never know.

DisapointedPacerFan
01-29-2010, 01:44 AM
No reason trading for him when he will walk come off-season. Now if we looked like a serious contending team, then I would give it some more thought. I love Amare but there really is no point in trading to get him on this team right now.

Dr. Awesome
01-29-2010, 01:51 AM
With all the trade rumors swirling about Amare Stoudemire leaving Phoenix, I don't see why the Pacers don't go after him. He would fit in perfect at the 4 next to big Hibs. ESPN Trade Machine works out with Foster (who would be able to guard bigs in the playoffs, if Foster is still alive) and Murphy (who would fit perfectly alongside Nash) for Amare works.

Price
Jones
Granger
Amare
Hibbert

7th seed....

Get it done Bird.

Foster and Murphy also might match LeBron. Doesn't mean the Cavs would do it...

DocHolliday
01-29-2010, 10:40 AM
They date of the original post has to be wrong. It should say 2009, not 2010. This was already a 10 page thread a year ago.

Zelmo Beatty
01-29-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm not as hung up on the defensive end as some around here
seem to be. But that said, Amare has about as much interest
in playing defense as Switzerland does.

PacerGuy
01-29-2010, 11:32 AM
Krapitz suggested yesterday on his show that he would move Danny to get Amare.... IDIOT!

I think Amare wants to be a big fish in a small pond, & I have heard that IN would be a place he would like to play. Problem is:
-He wants to win now, we are not a winner (yet).
-We would have to resign him to a max contract - do we want/need another JO deal?
-A new CBA after the '11 season will likely lead to shorter deals & less $. We (esp. as a small market) are "rebuilding" at just the right time. Any Amare deal would be "grandfathered in at current max levels. If we wait to sign our "next big contract" after '11, we will be in much better shape long term.

BRushWithDeath
01-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Krapitz suggested yesterday on his show that he would move Danny to get Amare.... IDIOT!

If you could get Amare for Granger, you do it. But you can't.

Pacersfan46
01-29-2010, 12:22 PM
If you could get Amare for Granger, you do it. But you can't.

No you don't. Not when Granger is signed for several more years, and for millions less per year than what Amare will get. Especially considering I wouldn't expect Amare to stay here.

So we'd get Amare for a fraction of the time Phoenix gets to keep Granger ... that's a good plan.

-- Steve --

Roaming Gnome
01-29-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm a little leery of guys that come out of that Phoenix system unless the guy is Steve Nash himself. I'd be afraid of what those guys would look like having "our" guards throwing them passes.

HC
01-29-2010, 12:28 PM

I think Amare wants to be a big fish in a small pond, & I have heard that IN would be a place he would like to play. Problem is:
-He wants to win now, we are not a winner (yet).
-We would have to resign him to a max contract - do we want/need another JO deal?
-A new CBA after the '11 season will likely lead to shorter deals & less $. We (esp. as a small market) are "rebuilding" at just the right time. Any Amare deal would be "grandfathered in at current max levels. If we wait to sign our "next big contract" after '11, we will be in much better shape long term.

link?

MillerTime
Foster and Murphy are not going to get us Amare. If Suns want something from us for Amare, its most likely involving Granger.

The Nets are front runners for Amare. They have the pieces to make the move. The have expirers, young talent and an amazing draft pick (which I doubt they would part with)

BRushWithDeath
Amare is a top 20 player in the NBA. That's why you trade Granger for him.

MillerTime
01-29-2010, 12:44 PM

ya but some would also argue, Granger has showed commitment to this team and being a small market and losing team, that is not easy to get...therefore, you would be inclined to keep Granger

What if we made the Granger/Amare trade, then Amare opts out of his contract and leave Indy...then we're left with some money but it is not easy to get free agents to come to Indy when you are competing with other teams that are also bidding on these free agents like NY, New Jersey, Miami...

Pacersfan46
01-29-2010, 12:49 PM

Does not matter. In the position this team is in you don't trade a guy who's proven he can play at an All-Star level (meaning top 25 in the NBA), and under contract to 2014. For a guy who may be just a few spots ahead of him in the player rankings, but you might only get him for a year and a half.

Do you think we're going to magically be good next year, where having Amare for a year and a half could mean something?

I'll take my 4 and a half more years with a top 25 player, as opposed to one and a half with a top 20 player. That is if Amare doesn't opt out of his contract after THIS season, which is why Phoenix is trying to trade him now, if I understand the situation correctly.

-- Steve --

BRushWithDeath
01-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Does not matter. In the position this team is in you don't trade a guy who's proven he can play at an All-Star level (meaning top 25 in the NBA), and under contract to 2014. For a guy who may be just a few spots ahead of him in the player rankings, but you might only get him for a year and a half.

Do you think we're going to magically be good next year, where having Amare for a year and a half could mean something?

I'll take my 4 and a half more years with a top 25 player, as opposed to one and a half with a top 20 player. That is if Amare doesn't opt out of his contract after THIS season, which is why Phoenix is trying to trade him now, if I understand the situation correctly.

-- Steve --
I just don't think Granger is close to a top 25 player.

Tom White
01-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Price
Jones
Granger
Amare
Hibbert

7th seed....

Get it done Bird.

Sure.

I can just here the Phoenix front office drooling over the idea of getting Foster and Murphy for him. They must be wringing their hands while nervously wondering if Amare is enough to land those two. They must be worried to death that they will have to include a couple first round picks to get this franchise saving deal done.

Hicks
01-29-2010, 01:17 PM
Especially if this year's Danny is a down year, and last year's Danny is what we can look for in the coming years, I don't see Amare as an improvement beyond being a big instead of a wing.

I think it's a "Means more to us than he does to you," scenario, probably from both sides, and it wouldn't happen.

90'sNBARocked
01-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Perhaps I am thinking of another player, but I am thinking that every time I have heard Amare I have also heard big market. Indianapolis certainly isn't that.

I live in Phoenix so pretty well up on the subject.

For all his talents (and reportedly half the league has interest)

He wants a big market
He wants a max contract
He does NOT want to play defense
He is a poor rebounder

If he came here the only chance we would have to sign him would be having his Bird rights so that we could pay him more than anyone else

If it wass the Amarie who ripped of 50 against the Spurs in the playoffs in 05 then yes

however he is not the same player anymore

I would really like us to hit Chicago up and try and get Tyrus Thomas. I think he could really help here and wouldnt require anything near a max contract

tsm612
01-29-2010, 04:18 PM
I've been a lurker here for awhile and decided to register so I can post this link since it is relevant to the topic. I enjoy the discussions on this forum and it has been my primary site for Pacers news. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to engage in discussions myself, but I'll probably occasionally contribute if I discover something that has not already been mentioned.

http://indyposted.com/9941/win-win-situation-for-suns-and-pacers/
Dave Liddle
Indyposted.com

A trade scenario that would send Amare Stoudemire and Jason Richardson to the Pacers in exchange for Danny Granger, Troy Murphy, and Mike Dunleavy Jr. would make sense for both teams. The Suns could get an upgrade over Grant Hill at small forward and a star player to build around for the future in Granger. Murphy and Dunleavy would provide the Suns with some much needed pop in their lineup. The team would lose their best post-presence, but gain a plethora of players who can have a chance to gel and make a pretty solid tea; granted if they could all stay healthy.

Meanwhile the Pacers would get a superstar in Amare, and some scoring punch with Jason Richardson. The Pacers could have a nice core for the next few years with Stoudemire, Richardson, Brandon Rush, and Tyler Hansbrough. With those pieces in place, the Pacers could build around that foundation and find players who fit into the team; something the Pacers have been unable to do with Granger.

I'm not so sure that Troy Murphy + Mike Dunleavy = Jason Richardson. I can understand another team being interested in Troy, but I'm not sure why anyone would be interested in Dunleavy. He hasn't returned to form since his surgery and it's possible he never will.

It sounds like a decent trade now but I'm not so sure about long term. We know what Stoudemire is but we don't really know what Danny is going to be. Trading a young and improving all star with a long contract doesn't really sound like a good idea to me. It's also pretty obvious that he is not the problem in the Pacers foundation as the author suggests. I wouldn't mind seeing Stoudemire and Richardson playing next to Danny at Conseco though, but that's not going to happen.

90'sNBARocked
01-29-2010, 10:24 PM
I've been a lurker here for awhile and decided to register so I can post this link since it is relevant to the topic. I enjoy the discussions on this forum and it has been my primary site for Pacers news. I'm not sure how much I'll be able to engage in discussions myself, but I'll probably occasionally contribute if I discover something that has not already been mentioned.

http://indyposted.com/9941/win-win-situation-for-suns-and-pacers/
Dave Liddle
Indyposted.com

I'm not so sure that Troy Murphy + Mike Dunleavy = Jason Richardson. I can understand another team being interested in Troy, but I'm not sure why anyone would be interested in Dunleavy. He hasn't returned to form since his surgery and it's possible he never will.

It sounds like a decent trade now but I'm not so sure about long term. We know what Stoudemire is but we don't really know what Danny is going to be. Trading a young and improving all star with a long contract doesn't really sound like a good idea to me. It's also pretty obvious that he is not the problem in the Pacers foundation as the author suggests. I wouldn't mind seeing Stoudemire and Richardson playing next to Danny at Conseco though, but that's not going to happen.

I would trade Troy/Dun for J Rich. Would not trade Granger because no way Amare would resign with us

Roaming Gnome
01-29-2010, 11:14 PM
Welcome to the board, tsm612.

Zelmo Beatty
01-29-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm not nearly as uncomfortable with the notion of trading
Granger as most seem to be. But that said, when it comes
to Amare, I'm with Roaming Gnome. I'd like to see him play
without Nash for a year before really guaging his value.

Smoothdave1
01-29-2010, 11:46 PM
You have to remember that Phoenix would also have to agree to a deal and you know they'll want an expiring, a young player or two and maybe a pick.

I could see New Jersey putting together a package of Lee, Yi, Battie and a pick for Amare and maybe a pick as well. Nets put Amare with Harris, maybe Evan Turner, CDR and Lopez and still have some cash to sign some other players.

Pacersfan46
01-30-2010, 02:01 AM
I just don't think Granger is close to a top 25 player.

Well being one of the 24 players selected as an All-Star would beg to differ. He certainly can't be too far away at his peak, as that would suggest. He is quite a bit ... off this year though.

-- Steve --

jeffg-body
01-30-2010, 02:44 AM
As much as I like Amare, I think the Suns would just want too much in return.

Wage
01-30-2010, 03:37 AM
Well being one of the 24 players selected as an All-Star would beg to differ. He certainly can't be too far away at his peak, as that would suggest. He is quite a bit ... off this year though.

-- Steve --

Using all-star game appearances as a measure of anything except popularity is a bad idea.

Unless of course you think AI is having a top 24 performance this year.

Pacersfan46
01-30-2010, 06:33 AM
Using all-star game appearances as a measure of anything except popularity is a bad idea.

Unless of course you think AI is having a top 24 performance this year.

Granger wasn't put into the All Star game by the fans. Might want to check who was responsible for his placement on the team before you try that angle. In fact, fans voting in starters that don't deserve to be on the team means Granger faced an even harder uphill battle to be one of the 12 players in the East. Thanks for helping my point.

-- Steve --

BRushWithDeath
01-30-2010, 12:54 PM

-- Steve --

I'm of the belief that last year was much more a fluke than this one.

eldubious
01-30-2010, 02:58 PM
If the Pacers can give up a bunch of expiring contracts and get Amare, then pull the trigger and don't look back. Even if he does opt out, who cares, that's 60 million off the books. I remember the Suns wanted Rush, throw him in and say your prayers. Something like Murphy, Rush, and a protected 1st rounder or future pick might work.