PDA

View Full Version : What makes a Supersatr Athlete

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100128/SPORTS15/1280447/1088/SPORTS04/Athletes-with-MVP-pedigree-can-understand-each-other

What makes a transcendent athlete?

It starts with raw talent. Without winning the genetic lottery, there's no hope. But there are scores of insanely gifted former athletes who are left with nothing more than memories.

There are other ingredients. Like the old John Wooden saying about the will to prepare to win, the manic competitiveness that moves one person better than all the rest in whatever profession he has chosen.

The truly great ones are killers. They have that primal instinct, that refusal to yield under any circumstances. We've seen it from Manning more times than we can count. We've seen it from Bryant, saw it again from him Wednesday as he took over in the third quarter, lifting a tired Lakers team playing the fifth game of an eight-game trip.

Do we have anyone on the Pacers that fits the bolded comment? If not, how does a scout or GM anaylize an intangible trait lkike that?

Thought it was agood read

Zelmo Beatty
01-28-2010, 02:41 PM
You're kidding, right ?

Hicks
01-28-2010, 02:47 PM
The only guy on this team who I see having the "killer" mindset is Tyler Hansbrough because on top of playing very hard all the time, he always wants to attack-attack-attack, but unfortunately he's not even close to superstar talent, physically.

Other than him? Not really. You have to make Danny mad or otherwise put a chip on his shoulder to get the best out of him. If Danny played angry all the time, he'd be awfully close, and perhaps then the answer would simply be "Yes, he is."

Speed
01-28-2010, 03:03 PM
I think of these guys as people who are genetically gifted and driven to get 100% of their ability out. I think it's not just the Tigers, Peytons, etc. I think Reggie did this. I think he maximized his ability. It's rare to have a guy who'll is predisposed physically, driven in preparation, and unafraid (mentally tough enough) to perform under pressure.

I look at a guy like Steve Nash, I think he's gotten the most out of his genetics. It has to be with preparation and hard work. So the killer instinct is fine, but you have to be disciplined enough to follow through on that drive. The killer instinct can likely be found on many softball fields across Indiana this summer. The preparation and genetic predisposition, maybe not as much.

So Kravitz has most of it right, I just don't think you can have greatness without all three of those things and almost to a compulsive unhealthy for other parts of your life level.

Put it this way, I think it's by design that Peyton doesn't have kids yet. I don't think he can obsess about being great and have that part of his life to be healthy. For example.

So if you have the ceiling to be one of the best physically, which takes 99.9% of us humans out of the equation. Then you have the obsessive/complusiveness to prepare/work without it becoming a mental disorder, which takes another chunk out. Then you have the mental toughness to do it under pressure, another group gone.

I haven't read this book, but I guess it's about qualifying school for golf written by the guy who wrote Season on the Brink. Feinstien? And it talks about how there are a ton of golfers who can hit long, sink putts, play sub par golf and even do it consistently. However, there is almost none that can do it, in a tournament, on the back nine, under the pressure of the moment. It's what seperates those City Tourney contenders from the Pros. Tiger is that times a million.

Again it takes all three things to be a Greatest, but you can still get to your max, it's just not likely Jordan or Peyton or Tiger.

Zelmo Beatty
01-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Putting aside the obviously important intangibles, for my $$$, a
true 'superstar' is a guy who can carry his team on his back
night (or in football, week after week...) after night after night.

There are very, very, very few of them.

jhondog28
01-28-2010, 03:11 PM
A superstar player is someone who makes prices go up for games, makes traveling to watch him play a necessity, can change a game without touching the ball, and makes teams plan years in advance on how to sign him to a contract.

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2010, 03:14 PM
It reminds me of how I used to ponder the compairison of Dwight Howard and Kwame Brown

Both dominated in Highschool
Both Number 1 picks overall
both are 7 fet (or close)
Both have very solid, strong , athletic builds

One is consider a bust , while one will probably go to hall of fame

Dont realy have alogical explination

BillS
01-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Am I the only one beating back the mental images in reference to a "super SATYR" athlete?

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Am I the only one beating back the mental images in reference to a "super SATYR" athlete?

yes,

Savagely beat me to death for an inadveternt typo :)

jhondog28
01-28-2010, 03:35 PM
yes,

Savagely beat me to death for an inadveternt typo :)

Dude dont sweat it. I make typos all the time and I call people out for it. It is the nature of a posting forum.

sweabs
01-28-2010, 03:37 PM
What makes a superstar athlete is a mass marketing machine and an audience willing to buy into whatever discourse it spews.

90'sNBARocked
01-28-2010, 04:09 PM
What makes a superstar athlete is a mass marketing machine and an audience willing to buy into whatever discourse it spews.

You know what that is a fantastic point

Unclebuck
01-28-2010, 04:13 PM
There is a difference between a superstar and a star. Superstars are the best of all time. Kobe, Lebron, Duncan, Shaq, Michael, Larry, Magic. In fact maybe the test for an NBA player is if they are known by 1 name. Star players are the top 10-15 players in any given season. Joe Johnson is a star player, but he is a long way away from being a superstar