PDA

View Full Version : Something I'm Displeased About

Squirrelz
01-28-2010, 06:59 AM
Okay, so last night was just the second pro game I've eve been to. I love it, I'm becoming addicted. As a fan of the Pacers since 2001 (I'm 21), this has been a long time dream of mine to attend as many games as I can.

So the teams are getting introduced at the beginning of the game, and as soon as they say Ron Artest, the crowd reacts with boos from everywhere, but one player later, a guy by the name of Kobe Bryant is introduced, and he gets nothing but cheers, from 90% of the crowd it sounds like. Now call me old-fashioned, but I thought we cheer for OUR players, not the opposing team's. I understand there's a vast majority of people out there, especially with the way the Pacers have been down the last few years, who only come to games to see the big names. But why in goodness sake's name is 90% of the arena cheering for the guy?? Was it like this during the old MJ-Pacers rivalry era?

So I say, "okay, the people are excited to see maybe the best basketball player in the world play, heck I am too." And I brush it off. But it began to rub me raw when time after time Kobe would make a shot, and half of our arena cheered for him, the guy on the opposing team... Especially when we were keeping it close throughout most of the game. Then Andrew Bynum started to dominate, and the crowd would cheer for him too! Ron Artest touches the ball, and all boos. So I know these are the same fans that dislike Ron Artest for being a former Pacer, and blah blah blah. But if they have enough hatred towards Ron Artest to boo him every time he touched the ball, then why on Earth are we cheering his teammates on??!!

It even looked as though Kobe was feeding off the crowd in the 4th quarter, making shot after shot to put us down by 21 at one point. Once the "MVP" chants began to rain through the fieldhouse I knew it was time to go. I was sickened.

I wouldn't want to play for a team with fans like this. Frontrunner fans that could give two craps about the team that represents or city, our state - us.

I was appalled.

vnzla81
01-28-2010, 07:27 AM
Okay, so last night was just the second pro game I've eve been to. I love it, I'm becoming addicted. As a fan of the Pacers since 2001 (I'm 21), this has been a long time dream of mine to attend as many games as I can.

So the teams are getting introduced at the beginning of the game, and as soon as they say Ron Artest, the crowd reacts with boos from everywhere, but one player later, a guy by the name of Kobe Bryant is introduced, and he gets nothing but cheers, from 90% of the crowd it sounds like. Now call me old-fashioned, but I thought we cheer for OUR players, not the opposing team's. I understand there's a vast majority of people out there, especially with the way the Pacers have been down the last few years, who only come to games to see the big names. But why in goodness sake's name is 90% of the arena cheering for the guy?? Was it like this during the old MJ-Pacers rivalry era?

So I say, "okay, the people are excited to see maybe the best basketball player in the world play, heck I am too." And I brush it off. But it began to rub me raw when time after time Kobe would make a shot, and half of our arena cheered for him, the guy on the opposing team... Especially when we were keeping it close throughout most of the game. Then Andrew Bynum started to dominate, and the crowd would cheer for him too! Ron Artest touches the ball, and all boos. So I know these are the same fans that dislike Ron Artest for being a former Pacer, and blah blah blah. But if they have enough hatred towards Ron Artest to boo him every time he touched the ball, then why on Earth are we cheering his teammates on??!!

It even looked as though Kobe was feeding off the crowd in the 4th quarter, making shot after shot to put us down by 21 at one point. Once the "MVP" chants began to rain through the fieldhouse I knew it was time to go. I was sickened.

I wouldn't want to play for a team with fans like this. Frontrunner fans that could give two craps about the team that represents or city, our state - us.

I was appalled.

Just wait for Friday, you have seen nothing yet.

Squirrelz
01-28-2010, 07:36 AM
I made sure to boo as LOUD as I humanly could when the MVP chants came about. I'm a very passionate fan, to say I was angry about this is an understatement. I just had to leave. I can't stand to see my (our) team treated like that. They don't deserve it.

vnzla81
01-28-2010, 07:40 AM
I made sure to boo as LOUD as I humanly could when the MVP chants came about. I'm a very passionate fan, to say I was angry about this is an understatement. I just had to leave. I can't stand to see my (our) team treated like that. They don't deserve it.

that is the reason why I don't want to see playoffs here yet. can you imagine Cleveland with two home courts?:(

Squirrelz
01-28-2010, 07:44 AM
Ew, I don't even want to think about that.

What happened to passionate fans? What happened to our killer instinct? Who gives these people tickets? The sickest pat was watching a woman stroll in with about 4 or 5 kids, sit in the section I'm in, look around and say, "Oh, I think we're in the Pacers section." I didn't know what she was talking about until she began cheering on Kobe, and urging her kids to do the same.

Might as well teach her kids that communism is right while she's at it.

Traitor.

Putnam
01-28-2010, 07:50 AM
It is always hard to explain crowd behavior. Maybe Agent Kay does it best in the scene from Men in Black:
Edwards (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000226/): Why the big secret? People are smart. They can handle it.
Kay (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000169/): A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it.

Plus, it is just hard to know what people are there for on any given night. Some of those people were Lakers fans. Others were indifferent to the teams and just cheered for the big name player. Others may have been reacting honestly to excellent plays that Bryant was making. A lot of them were reacting to the crowd itself and not to the game at all.

To answer your question about Bulls games during Jordan's best years: Yes, it was absolutely maddening. Chicago would have thousands of fans down here, and even the local folks would cheer for Jordan louder than they'd cheer for Greg Dreiling.

Squirrelz
01-28-2010, 07:53 AM
It is always hard to explain crowd behavior. Maybe Agent Kay does it best in the scene from Men in Black:

Plus, it is just hard to know what people are there for on any given night. Some of those people were Lakers fans. Others were indifferent to the teams and just cheered for the big name player. Others may have been reacting honestly to excellent plays that Bryant was making. A lot of them were reacting to the crowd itself and not to the game at all.

To answer your question about Bulls games during Jordan's best years: Yes, it was absolutely maddening. Chicago would have thousands of fans down here, and even the local folks would cheer for Jordan louder than they'd cheer for Greg Dreiling.
It IS maddening!!

And yes, your post spotlighted everything I was thinking but couldn't really find words for. Everyone has their own agenda at these games, and it's fine. But when literally 90% of the arena is cheering for Kobe just being Kobe, I begin to throw up in my mouth.

threein73
01-28-2010, 08:55 AM
The situation when Jordan played, and before that when the Celtics and Bird played here did always disgust me. However, when we became contenders, this was not the case, just like when we still had Reggie and were contenders, the chants for MJ, Kobie, etc, were not near as noticeable and the crowd was much more pro-Pacers. But now that we are not real good, and the normal crowds are in the 12-13K range, the place fills up and sells out and most of the "extra" fans cheer for the stars.

Unclebuck
01-28-2010, 09:14 AM
Welcome to the 80's. For the first 10 years I followed the Pacers I honestly thought the Celtics and larry Bird were the home team

Lord Helmet
01-28-2010, 09:56 AM
Yeah, it was pretty sick to hear, but just wait til the Cleveland LeBrons come to town.

Just what happens when fan support is down, and the team is terrible. I mean this year we're hardly even competitive, at least last year for the most part you could assume we'd be in the game.

It's going to take awhile before we win back the "bandwagon" crowd and until then, you're going to see those "fans", if you want to call them that, cheer for other teams.

Doug
01-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Well, the NBA markets the 'stars', not the teams, so people cheer for the 'stars'.

It sucks.

Hibbert Laugh
01-28-2010, 10:04 AM
The MVP chants certainly were jarring. I'll admit, though, that it kind of nice to feel some electricity in the fieldhouse, even if it was directed at the wrong team. It is apparent that the Pacers' record and performance the past few years (and especially this season) don't make the team very deserving of the kind of adulation that the Lakers draw even most of the way across the country from their home city. However, sometimes it is hard to comprehend the degree of apathy from Pacer fans. Now I'm not a dance-around-to-the-stadium-music-and-scream-at-opposing-players-and-the-refs kind of guy, but it would be nice if more fans could find it in themselves to at least stand and clap at just a few instances, such as when the team emerges from the locker room for warmups, the starting lineup introduction, tipoff to first Pacers basket, to start the fourth quarter, or hitting a shot to take the lead sometime in the second half. I understand that this would all likely change if we were winning on a consistent basis, but, and maybe this is just the Cubs fan in me, I at least find games more fun when I can join others in rallying around the team no matter what. If I wanted to sit there and like I couldn't care less about what is happening on the court, I'd probably just sit at home, watch the game on TV and not spend $40+ on mediocre food and beer.

Frostwolf
01-28-2010, 10:14 AM
Might as well teach her kids that communism is right while she's at it.

heh

jhondog28
01-28-2010, 10:31 AM
Its cool. They can cheer for who they want to. I am a Texas Rangers fan and when the Yankees and Red Sox come to town it is enough to make you want to be deaf. They pay for their tickets and they have every right to cheer, it just sucks that the Pacers are probably the least marketable team in the league. Maybe when the Colts season is over there will be some carry over to basketball.

BillS
01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
It wasn't Pacer fans cheering for Kobe, there was a sea of purple and gold out there (though, I'll admit, not as much as I was afraid there would be).

Some people are simply on the bandwagon. I'd bet a good chunk of the folks older than 25 who were wearing Laker colors were sporting red and black in the Jordan era.

It's hard to support a team through the thin times. Some people just don't have the desire to work at their fandom that much.

Kegboy
01-28-2010, 10:41 AM
You sure half the arena wasn't Laker fans? Shoot, I remember the year after the Finals we played LA (and won, btw) and it was disgusting how many Laker fans there were at the game.

Putnam
01-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Some people are simply on the bandwagon. I'd bet a good chunk of the folks older than 25 who were wearing Laker colors were sporting red and black in the Jordan era.

Darn straight. That is the way some people play it all the time. And it makes them very happy.

I remember my classmate Tom back in high school. He was completely shameless about which team he followed. One week he'd come to school with a Miami Dolphins jersey. The next week it was Steelers black and gold. He always rode with the winners, while the rest of us suffered with the Bengals, Bears and Packers.

BigRik
01-28-2010, 11:01 AM
I have always hated "front runners". I realize not everyone at a game is going to be for the home team. For example, if I moved to another city, I would remain a Pacer fan and would try to catch them live when they were in my area. And even with the Celtics in the 80s, I could understand people who were fans of Larry Legend cheering for the visitors. But why would half an arena in Indy cheer for Kobe? It boggles the mind.
It's kind of a sore subject for me, because my step son is one of those front runner fans. People like that should just have generic hats/jerseys that you can velcro the current champs logo onto. What kind of fandom is that?

Putnam
01-28-2010, 11:28 AM
BigRik, it is funny that you would post right after mine. The guy I just mentioned works at the Goodyear Tire Store on Walnut Street there in Hartford City where you live.

Squirrelz
01-28-2010, 11:37 AM
I understand it's their tickets, and they payed for them, and they can cheer for whoever they want and all that good stuff. But that's not my point. My point is when did Indianapolis - One of the most proud cities, not only as far as basketball goes, but heck as far ALL sports go, in all of the nation - become a city of bandwagon fans? As if it's now considered "okay" for over half of our home fieldhouse to be overrun with faux fans and turncoats? Like I said, it's only my second game, but this is something that really has me rattled.

And as far as it being "hard" to support a team when they're as dreadful as we are most of the time, I honestly don;t understand it. What does that make me? Naive. Yes. But it also makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside, simply being the eternal optimist I am. This team, and every team for that matter, deserve fans that will support them through thick and thin. I know there's guys like us out there. I just wish there were more of us. :(

Trophy
01-28-2010, 11:42 AM
Those people aren't true fans. I'm sure if the Lakers lost Kobe and began to fall, they'd lose fans (maybe not too many since they play in LA). Look at the Celtics, people only began to like them and fill team's arenas because they became good.

If Cleveland loses LeBron this summer, people aren't going to care very much about that team anymore.

Pacer fans are for real. Our time will shine, but we may be blended in with other bandwagon fans when that comes.

Putnam
01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
My point is when did Indianapolis - One of the most proud cities, not only as far as basketball goes, but heck as far ALL sports go, in all of the nation - become a city of bandwagon fans?

Blame class basketball.

Squirrelz
01-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Those people aren't true fans. I'm sure if the Lakers lost Kobe and began to fall, they'd lose fans (maybe not too many since they play in LA). Look at the Celtics, people only began to like them and fill team's arenas because they became good.

If Cleveland loses LeBron this summer, people aren't going to care very much about that team anymore.

Pacer fans are for real. Our time will shine, but we may be blended in with other bandwagon fans when that comes.
We are true fans. Right on brotha.

Squirrelz
01-28-2010, 11:45 AM
Blame class basketball.

This makes me a sad panda.

BigRik
01-28-2010, 11:51 AM
BigRik, it is funny that you would post right after mine. The guy I just mentioned works at the Goodyear Tire Store on Walnut Street there in Hartford City where you live.

Small world, huh? That is 3 1/2 blocks from me. I probably don't know him, I only moved to Hartford about 5 years ago from the metropolis of Montpelier.

Pacergeek
01-28-2010, 12:11 PM
I think that Indianapolis fans as a whole aren't very passionate at all. I can remember that even when the Pacers were contenders, regular season games were way too quiet. I would yell and cheer, and the other fans would look at me like I had a problem. People would even go as far as to tell me to either sit down or to be quiet. A select few even challenged me to a fist fight. I was ashamed to be in the same arena as these people. Nowadays, I don't make any noise at all because it isn't worth it dealing with these ignorant fans. Conseco isn't a museum or even a movie theater, and loud noise should be expected and encouraged by everyone in attendence. I am also miffed by the fact that the loudest the crowd gets during the games is during time outs whenever fans are reacting to silly prize giveaways.

Passion is also lacking for Colts games. I remember during a pre season game agains Buffalo a few years back, I yelled that a certain player "sucks." The guy in front of me turned around and told me to watch my language around his son. I could not believe the nerve of this guy. I would love to have seen this man try this behavior at a Raiders game. He would have gotten beat up.

I can also remember back in 03, the Colts vs Titans home game was blacked out. I was disgusted. This was after the Colts were a playoff team in 3 out of 4 years. Not to mention that the Titans were our main rival back then, and a team that we needed to beat to establish ourselves as contenders, which we did. We had Peyton Manning, a special player even back then, and still stuggled to sell out games.

Putnam
01-28-2010, 01:28 PM
I would yell and cheer, and the other fans would look at me like I had a problem. People would even go as far as to tell me to either sit down or to be quiet. A select few even challenged me to a fist fight. I was ashamed to be in the same arena as these people. Nowadays, I don't make any noise at all because it isn't worth it dealing with these ignorant fans. Conseco isn't a museum or even a movie theater, and loud noise should be expected and encouraged by everyone in attendence.

None of this is justifiable. Chacun a sont gout. A fan doesn't prove his fervency by being loud. He proves it by going often and by sticking with the team through thick and thin. (I don't qualify. That's why I confess myself a casual fan.)

ChicagoJ
01-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Welcome to the 80's. For the first 10 years I followed the Pacers I honestly thought the Celtics and larry Bird were the home team

F'ing Green Guys.

I still love this story: regular season game in late 1991. Dad and I park in the lot at Arena Sporting Goods, with our Pacers gear on. We're ready for the big game with the stupid Green Guys.

Get out of the car and the guy next to us gets out wearing a Bird-33 jersey and a Pacers cap. Dad decides to use his best football coaching/ gym teacher voice and lets the guy know that he really needs to make up his mind which team he's cheering for before he goes into the arena -- especially if he ends up in our section.

Seeing the panic on that guys' face is one of the funniest things I've ever seen. I don't think it had ever occurred to him how absurd he looked with a Celtics jersey and Pacers cap.

Then again, I was always taught that my two favorite teams were IU and whoever was playing Purdue (or Kentucky). I don't get this "cheer for the other teams in our conference" nonsense any more than I get bandwagon jumping.

Peck
01-28-2010, 02:34 PM
My honest guess is that we were outnumbered last night by a 2-1 margin. Hick's guess is that we were outnumbered 7-3.

Either way there were more Laker/Koby fans in the house than Pacers. I had a couple sitting directly behind me that were definately there to root for Koby however anytime Danny or Roy would do something they would cheer as well. I wish they would have just cheered for Koby to be honest with you.

This is what it is like to be a losing team folks. Those of us old enough to have been there in the 80's have "been there done that" before.

Win some games and you will get more fans. Win a lot of games and you will ensure that the people coming to see the other team will be outnumbered and thier tickets will cost them. As it is now a lot of those tix last night were either comped, discounted or sold a face value at most.

I've been there through both times though so I will say that being a team that doesn't suck does drown out the outside fans. The 80's we literally had a 5-1 margin when the Lakers came to town, a 10-1 for the Bulls and 15-1 when Bird was on the Celtics.

But in the 90's we outnumbered the Lakers fans, broke even with the Bulls till the late 90's then we started outnumbering them and by then Bird was gone so the Celtics didn't matter.

BTW, let's also not get to high and mighty here and look down our nose at the fine citizens of Indiana though. It is this way in every city. If you are not winning then fans are not as apt to spend their time following you.

Hicks
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
I would also point out that when I had the Lakers/Cavs game on TV last week, I could easily hear Lakers fans AT CLEVELAND. Popular teams with popular players attract these kinds of fans all the time.

IUfan4life
01-28-2010, 04:15 PM
While watching the game on TV, I kept hoping (although I knew it would never happen) that JOB would get on the mic and tell Pacer fans to have some pride.

Putnam
01-28-2010, 05:11 PM
But in the 90's we outnumbered the Lakers fans, broke even with the Bulls till the late 90s then we started outnumbering them and by then Bird was gone so the Celtics didn't matter.

Yup. Those were the days. The Pacers reach in the late 90s was great. I spent those years in the absolute back-of-beyond in Central Asia. And I can tell you that there was Pacers memorabilia in the some really remote settings. The "MJ23" symbol (non-licensed Jordan rip-off) was the most common. But at that time there was more Pacers stuff than just about any other NBA team in western China and the 'stans.

Peck
01-28-2010, 05:31 PM
While watching the game on TV, I kept hoping (although I knew it would never happen) that JOB would get on the mic and tell Pacer fans to have some pride.

JOB grabing the mic would probably not be the smartest thing for him to do as he may not like what he heard in return.

As it was at the end of the game the only thing that was being chanted beyond MVP was "Fire Jim".

Bball
01-28-2010, 07:44 PM
As it was at the end of the game the only thing that was being chanted beyond MVP was "Fire Jim".

You wouldn't think Gnome would do that after getting honored earlier....

;)

Squirrelz
01-28-2010, 09:01 PM
JOB grabing the mic would probably not be the smartest thing for him to do as he may not like what he heard in return.

Really? I must've left before then or something. If I would've heard that after the "MVP" chants, I woulda been banned from Conseco for life. lol

And that was an interesting story about Asia, Putnam. I'm surprised and proud to hear that.

Mr_Smith
01-28-2010, 09:16 PM
I know one thing....If/When the Pacers rise back to the top someday in this century, fans are gonna come out of the woodwork. I can't stand bandwagon fans. Get ready for some more on friday when the Lebrons come.

Squirrelz
01-28-2010, 09:24 PM
I know one thing....If/When the Pacers rise back to the top someday in this century, fans are gonna come out of the woodwork. I can't stand bandwagon fans. Get ready for some more on friday when the Lebrons come.
*sigh* Amen brudda.

But with this lockout that's apparently gonna occur after the 10-11 season, could the Pacers face a fate worse than just bandwagon fans?

Hoop
01-29-2010, 12:18 AM

Was there really a "Fire Jim" chant? Dammit and I missed it. I was a guest in a suite and not in my normal seats and I really could not here or see very well. I wish I had the money the suite people have, but watching the game sucks from there IMO.

I'd love to get a chant like that going, might be mean, but I've had enough and don't care if it is.

pianoman
01-29-2010, 12:20 AM
Small world, huh? That is 3 1/2 blocks from me. I probably don't know him, I only moved to Hartford about 5 years ago from the metropolis of Montpelier.

To make things even smaller...

i live about 10 minutes south of there! haha

HC
01-29-2010, 12:27 AM
I would also point out that when I had the Lakers/Cavs game on TV last week, I could easily hear Lakers fans AT CLEVELAND. Popular teams with popular players attract these kinds of fans all the time.

Indeed

Teams like the Lakers, Cowboys, Cubs, Yankees, etc all draw huge crowds on the road.

ksuttonjr76
01-29-2010, 11:56 PM
That always bug me when the home team chants "MVP" for the opposing team.

Peck
01-30-2010, 12:00 AM
That always bug me when the home team chants "MVP" for the opposing team.

Hate to tell you but the last two games have only been home games by geography, not by population.