PDA

View Full Version : if we sink or swim and stay about the same position we are in now who would you rather have?

malchow2002
01-27-2010, 07:59 PM
if we stayed the course the rest of the season and ended up with a late top ten pick who would you choose between patrick patterson and demarcus couzins....they are both listed as PF.. couzins is 6-11 260lbs... averging 19pts per and 9.5rebs per game.... patterson is 6-9 235lbs.. averging 15.5pts per and 6rebs per game... im intriged with couzins hes athletic and can finish around the rim. the only question i have is how is his attitude? i have not seen alot of kentucky games just highlights.

jhondog28
01-27-2010, 08:01 PM
Hey Malchow welcome to the board just so you know there is a NBA draft thread already in place. You might want to look there for people's opinions on the subject. I am a Patterson fan myself to answer your question.

Mr. Sobchak
01-27-2010, 08:08 PM
if we stayed the course the rest of the season and ended up with a late top ten pick who would you choose between patrick patterson and demarcus couzins....they are both listed as PF.. couzins is 6-11 260lbs... averging 19pts per and 9.5rebs per game.... patterson is 6-9 235lbs.. averging 15.5pts per and 6rebs per game... im intriged with couzins hes athletic and can finish around the rim. the only question i have is how is his attitude? i have not seen alot of kentucky games just highlights.

This might get moved to the draft prospect thread but I personally wouldn't touch Cousins with a ten foot poll. He was throwing elbows like crazy in the Louisville game and there was report last night that he punched a fan in the face after bumping into him when USC fans rushed the court. Plus he has a reputation of being lazy and a hot head. We really don't need any of that right now IMHO.

Lance George
01-27-2010, 08:12 PM
DeMarcus Cousins' production is just jaw-dropping. As far as freshman production goes, it's right up there with Durant and Beasley, he's just not playing the big minutes they are.

In the undersized Patterson's playing time (32.3 mpg), Cousin's numbers extrapolate to 24.7 ppg, 15 rpg, 2.9 bpg.

The big question is his attitude, which means we'll likely pass. If it weren't for that, I honestly think he'd be challenging his teammate Wall for the #1 spot. His size, skill and production is the making of a future superstar - hopefully he's smart enough not to flush it all down the toilet.

If you wanna shoot for the stars, you go with Cousins. If you'd rather play it safe and go with a guy who will likely be a serviceable backup, maybe one day blossoming into a decent starter, you take the undersized, underachieving Patterson.

PaceBalls
01-27-2010, 10:34 PM
no to patterson for sure... we already have that in Hansbrough yea?

sportfireman
01-27-2010, 10:44 PM
DeMarcus Cousins' production is just jaw-dropping. As far as freshman production goes, it's right up there with Durant and Beasley, he's just not playing the big minutes they are.

In the undersized Patterson's playing time (32.3 mpg), Cousin's numbers extrapolate to 24.7 ppg, 15 rpg, 2.9 bpg.

The big question is his attitude, which means we'll likely pass. If it weren't for that, I honestly think he'd be challenging his teammate Wall for the #1 spot. His size, skill and production is the making of a future superstar - hopefully he's smart enough not to flush it all down the toilet.

If you wanna shoot for the stars, you go with Cousins. If you'd rather play it safe and go with a guy who will likely be a serviceable backup, maybe one day blossoming into a decent starter, you take the undersized, underachieving Patterson.

but sometimes you have to take a shot and shoot for the stars and stop getting serviceable backups.

i know it can be dangerous but to win big you have to play big. IMO

so I say Cousins.

judicata
01-28-2010, 03:48 AM
Cousins has all the ability in the world, but he is a nutter. Watch a KY game and see how much he jaws at the refs and his own coach. There is absolutely no reason to take a kid like that with his reputation when the position he plays is loaded in this draft.

In my opinion he is the problem child of this year's draft class. At very best you get Sheed, and I don't want to think of the worst case scenario.

Naptown_Seth
01-28-2010, 03:57 AM
no to patterson for sure... we already have that in Hansbrough yea?
Except for the part where their games are 100% different.

Patterson is not a frantic, out of control player with a knack for drawing FTAs. Tyler was never an explosive above the rim player nor was he physically intimidating on defense or a shot blocker.

Cousins is talented, but not really any more talented than Patterson. KY runs ZERO offense through Patterson this year. No one knows why and in the prospect thread I've talked about how announcers are noticing and questioning it, even criticizing it.

Late in their upset loss the other day they kept bringing up how KY blatently just refused to go to Patterson and left him off to the side to find his own ways of impacting the game.

He's getting severely devalued by this and is going to be a steal for someone.

Cousins production is based on being posted EVERY TRIP. Not because Patterson can't, because he easily does in the rare times he is allowed to or if he gets an offensive board and backs a guy down (or faces up which he does equally well).

No, for some other reason that I suspect has to do with promises made in order to recruit this group of freshman, Wall and Cousins play a 2 man game every single trip. I think Cousins, Bledsoe and Wall are all there under the promise of being NBA showcased, and this has the non-Calipari recruit Patterson left out in the cold.

Naturally this bumps Cousins offensive production way up even though he makes some massively boneheaded choices and often can't control his emotions.

Dr. Awesome
01-28-2010, 04:20 AM

We've played it safe enough the last 3 years. At a certain point we need to make a big play. I wouldn't take Patterson in the top 20, much less a top 10 pick. We don't need an underachieving, undersized player. He is not better than Hansbrough and never will be - so whats the point? If we draft a PF, we better make sure he will be better than Hansbrough. Patterson would be a wasted pick.

BigRik
01-28-2010, 12:00 PM
Unless we we a new coach and system, it doesn't really matter who we get. Murphy is the only big that can spread the floor properly. I'm probably still bitter about the Indianapolis Laker fans, or I wouldn't just pile on like that. Sorry, I shouldn't hijack your thread like that, but I needed to get that out. Please ignore this and continue your draft dialog.

DaveP63
01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
And with the 13th pick, the Indiana Pacers select...Luke Harangody, Forward from Notre Dame.

(God, I hope not)