PDA

View Full Version : Arenas Suspended For Remainder Of Season

indyblue47
01-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Arenas Suspended For Remainder Of Season
More Wizards News

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64310/20100127/arenas_suspended_for_remainder_of_season/

Jan 27, 2010 3:15 PM EST
Gilbert Arenas has been suspended for the remainder of the 2009-10 season, according to a source that spoke with the Washington Post.

Arenas asked commissioner David Stern for the suspension during their Wednesday meeting.

According to the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity, Arenas also told Stern that he would tell the players' union not to fight the suspension.

The same source said that during the meeting, Arenas asked Stern about the possibility of having the remaining four years of his six-year $111 million contract voided, to which Stern replied, "That would be left up to the team."

According to a source, Arenas has intimated to friends, as well the NBA that he no longer wishes to play for Wizards President Ernie Grunfeld again.

Naptown_Seth
01-27-2010, 05:28 PM
What a child. Now he wants a void because the WIZ are jerks?

I guess I understand how a guy like this can slip to the 2nd round of the draft after all. Let me guess, he wants to be traded to a city and team that allows him to keep guns in the arena somehow.

sportfireman
01-27-2010, 05:31 PM
It might help in getting the Murphy trade done seeing as how if they trade Jamison the don't have much else beside Butler......they might want to hold onto Jamison......... sooooo maybe Jamison is out of the running ......maybe. Come on Bird......getter done!!!

vnzla81
01-27-2010, 05:33 PM
good for him, now he has more time to rest the knee:rolleyes:

vapacersfan
01-27-2010, 05:39 PM
Also from ESPN

A source told ESPN.com's Chris Sheridan that Arenas' teammate, Javaris Crittenton (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3197), will be suspended for the remainder of the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4862783

sportfireman
01-27-2010, 05:44 PM
Also from ESPN

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4862783

Maybe they will take TJ..............:dance:

That would be fantastic..........can you imagine........Murphy to Cavs and TJ to the Wiz....... Foster to Nuggets and Travis to NY. 3 of 4 of these players aren't even playing so it wouldn't hurt to get rid of them unless we get garbage salaries back and I don't believe Bird will do that.

BillS
01-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Nope, Wiz will get to void two contracts and be major players in the FA market. After all, David Stern doesn't ever want to punish a team, just players.

NapTonius Monk
01-27-2010, 06:18 PM
I think they'll hold on to Crittendon. I think they won't be able to get rid of Arenas fast enough. On top of this, he'll probably end up on a team like the Lakers, so this may not be too tough on ol' Gilbert in the long run.

NapTonius Monk
01-27-2010, 06:21 PM
I'll tell you this much, at least Artest has owned up to having issues while he was here. He honestly has 'tude towards Grunfeld? Seriously?

CableKC
01-27-2010, 06:44 PM
Arenas Suspended For Remainder Of Season
More Wizards News

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/64310/20100127/arenas_suspended_for_remainder_of_season/

Jan 27, 2010 3:15 PM EST
Gilbert Arenas has been suspended for the remainder of the 2009-10 season, according to a source that spoke with the Washington Post.

Arenas asked commissioner David Stern for the suspension during their Wednesday meeting.

According to the person, who spoke on condition of anonymity, Arenas also told Stern that he would tell the players' union not to fight the suspension.

The same source said that during the meeting, Arenas asked Stern about the possibility of having the remaining four years of his six-year $111 million contract voided, to which Stern replied, "That would be left up to the team."
I don't get why Arenas would voluntarily request that the NBA void his contract...much less request that the Players Union not to fight the suspension. I'm guessing that the Wizards would void it in the end on their own....but for a Player to volunatarily void his own $111 mil contract sound wierd to me.

Am I missing something?

vnzla81
01-27-2010, 06:48 PM
I don't get why Arenas would voluntarily request that the NBA void his contract...much less request that the Players Union not to fight the suspension. I'm guessing that the Wizards would void it in the end on their own....but for a Player to volunatarily void his own $111 mil contract sound wierd to me.

[B]Am I missing something[B]?

He knows that some stupid team would pay close to this for him

Lance George
01-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Interesting that Stern implied that the Wizard's could void his contract if they so choose to. It looks like there's a good chance Arenas will be added to the already stacked 2010 free agent class.

McKeyFan
01-27-2010, 07:50 PM
Any more thoughts on how this affects a potential Murphy/Cavs trade?

Lance George
01-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Any more thoughts on how this affects a potential Murphy/Cavs trade?

If the Wizards get out from Arenas' contract, they may no longer feel the need to do a salary dump with Jamison, which is basically what they would be doing by trading him for Cleveland's table scraps. This would mean Cleveland would go for option B, which is rumored to be Troy.

On the other hand, even if they do get out of Arenas' huge contract, they may still want to dump Jamison in order to free up a nice chunk of capspace for the offseason.

I think the latter would be attractive for the Wizards considering Jamison's age (33, 34 in June) and the fact that they appear to be going nowhere in a hurry with their current roster.

vapacersfan
01-27-2010, 08:13 PM
Interesting that Stern implied that the Wizard's could void his contract if they so choose to. It looks like there's a good chance Arenas will be added to the already stacked 2010 free agent class.

I never read that, just that it was up to the team.

Voiding contracts in the NBA is very difficult, from what my friends are telling me (I obviously can not listen to local sports radio) all the rumors are if he serves jail time it becomes easier to void the contract, but it is not going to be a simple task to get done, if it is done at all.

MyFavMartin
01-27-2010, 08:19 PM
If the Wizards get out from Arenas' contract, they may no longer feel the need to do a salary dump with Jamison, which is basically what they would be doing by trading him for Cleveland's table scraps. This would mean Cleveland would go for option B, which is rumored to be Troy.

On the other hand, even if they do get out of Arenas' huge contract, they may still want to dump Jamison in order to free up a nice chunk of capspace for the offseason.

I think the latter would be attractive for the Wizards considering Jamison's age (33, 34 in June) and the fact that they appear to be going nowhere in a hurry with their current roster.

And they won't know if he'll serve jail time until sentencing date of March 26th, well past the trade deadline...

Would be interesting to see what the Wiz would do with the capspace next summer...

Smoothdave1
01-27-2010, 10:03 PM
I didn't see anything about Arenas wanting to void his deal whatsoever. He only stated that he didn't want to play under Grunfeld and he inquired about the possibility of the Wizards terminating his deal (probably because he was concerned over the fact of losing 80 million).

I used to write and manage contracts for a living, including some pretty large personal service contracts for employees. In every professional services contract that I ever wrote, there was always a clause that had language along the lines of: "In the event that the contractor is unable to perform the services agreed upon, the party shall have the ability to void said contract without incurring any penalties or further obligations".

If Arenas is given jail time, I would expect the Wizards would easily have the ability to void his contract as he would be unable to provide his basketball services for the Wizards. However, I would expect a plea deal of some sorts where he gets probation, maybe a form of house arrest, a large fine, community service and is able to keeo his contract, but is ultimately dealt elsewhere. I can guarantee you that if they attempt to do so, the NBAPA will fight tooth and nail for Arenas.

Dr. Awesome
01-27-2010, 10:22 PM
He got Artested....no? Figured I'd try it out.

Pacersfan46
01-28-2010, 12:51 AM
Arenas is has made some idiotic moves. Clearly.

However his grudge with Grunfeld may have been a previous problem. Regardless, as a person even if you do something dumb, you'd hope and expect that those close to or around you would be supportive, at least on a personal level. Maybe Grunfeld has been a complete jackass. Professionally it's expected, but if he was a jackass to me personally, I'd probably be saying the same thing as Arenas.

Or Arenas could just be a spoiled brat. I can't claim to know, but I think some of you are jumping the gun (pun intended) about it being because Arenas is whatever you want to say about him. You don't simply know.

-- Steve --

NapTonius Monk
01-28-2010, 01:36 AM
Arenas is has made some idiotic moves. Clearly.

However his grudge with Grunfeld may have been a previous problem. Regardless, as a person even if you do something dumb, you'd hope and expect that those close to or around you would be supportive, at least on a personal level. Maybe Grunfeld has been a complete jackass. Professionally it's expected, but if he was a jackass to me personally, I'd probably be saying the same thing as Arenas.

Or Arenas could just be a spoiled brat. I can't claim to know, but I think some of you are jumping the gun (pun intended) about it being because Arenas is whatever you want to say about him. You don't simply know.

-- Steve --

Given that the Wizards have been patient with Arenas throughout his constant injuries and rehab, you'd like to see that repaid with a higher level of professionalism than a high noon shoot out in the locker room. Granted, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes. But there are better ways to handle things than this. IMHO

rexnom
01-28-2010, 01:36 AM
Lucky ****ing Wizards. It's up to them whether to void his contract or not? Grunfeld can't get the paperwork drawn up fast enough. They get a mulligan on one of the worst contracts in the league.

d_c
01-28-2010, 01:48 AM
Lucky ****ing Wizards. It's up to them whether to void his contract or not? Grunfeld can't get the paperwork drawn up fast enough. They get a mulligan on one of the worst contracts in the league.

The Wiz likely won't be able to void his contract, according to ESPN's legal expert. I'm sure they'll look into it, but evidently they're going to run into a brick wall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=munson/100121

But the Wizards and their lawyers can't consider the citizenship and moral turpitude provisions in a vacuum. They have to account for the rest of the league's collective bargaining agreement, too -- especially a section on player conduct that bans firearms from all NBA venues but includes a provision (Article VI, Section 9) that [B]all punishment for gun violations must be done in accordance with yet another legal instrument, the NBA constitution.

The constitutional provision specifically limits commissioner David Stern's powers over gun violations. He can suspend a player for a "definite or indefinite" period, and he can fine a player as much as $50,000. But that's it. That is the beginning and the end of any punishment for a gun violation.
There is no provision for terminating the player's contract.

Pacersfan46
01-28-2010, 04:51 AM
The Wiz likely won't be able to void his contract, according to ESPN's legal expert. I'm sure they'll look into it, but evidently they're going to run into a brick wall.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=munson/100121

That's all good, but if Arenas is serious about wanting it voided himself, I think that changes all the rules.

-- Steve --

d_c
01-28-2010, 10:01 AM
That's all good, but if Arenas is serious about wanting it voided himself, I think that changes all the rules.

-- Steve --

LOL.

Arenas ain't leaving $80M on the table. Not happening. Not at 28 years of age with a gimpy knee. What team in the league is going to offer anything close to that if he dropped that deal right now and became a FA? C'mon. He'd only agree to a substantial buyout which the Wiz would never want.

Sprewell back in the day only had about $21M left on his deal and he fought tooth and nail not to get voided (and he won). He didn't want to get voided, not even under a contract playing for a team whose coach he hated enough to want to choke. Another ESPN article on the subject.

In general, people who are owed $80 million tend to do just about everything they can do keep that money. But Gilbert Arenas is a free thinker. And he's reportedly miffed at Ernie Grunfeld. Does that mean he's eager to move on? Eager enough to say goodbye to his money? The answer appears to me that Arenas might be a little nuts, but he's not crazy. The Washington Post's Michael Lee writes (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/2010/01/arenas-to-be-suspended-for-rem.html): "The same source said that during the meeting [Wednesday with David Stern], Arenas expressed concern about the possibility of having the remainder of his four-year, $80-million contract voided, to which Stern replied, "That would be left up to the team." He also informed Arenas that member of the Wizards organization had yet made an inquiry about voiding his contract to the NBA's legal department."

Arenas has been living his life, building expensive swimming pools and the like (http://blog.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2008/07/gilberts_pool_the_pics.html), planning on making $111 million over six years. Then this suspension comes along, costing him more than $7 million in lost income. If he is to accept a buyout, he would have to endure the financial pain of a second surprise income hit.

vapacersfan
01-28-2010, 02:16 PM
LOL.

Arenas ain't leaving $80M on the table. Not happening. Not at 28 years of age with a gimpy knee. What team in the league is going to offer anything close to that if he dropped that deal right now and became a FA? C'mon. He'd only agree to a substantial buyout which the Wiz would never want.

Sprewell back in the day only had about $21M left on his deal and he fought tooth and nail not to get voided (and he won). He didn't want to get voided, not even under a contract playing for a team whose coach he hated enough to want to choke. Another ESPN article on the subject.

I was just about to post this same thing from Wizards Insider

vapacersfan
01-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Stern says Gilbert didn't request a suspension

<!-- begin blogger thumbs --> <!----> <!-- end blogger thumbs --> Since there have been 17 conflicting reports about every single second of the Gilbert Gunz story, it only figures that the suspension dénouement would immediately produce at least two conflicting reports.

If you recall, in the moments after Stern's rest-of-the-season suspension first leaked out on Wednesday, there were reports--attributed to sources--that Gilbert "requested" to be suspended for the rest of the season, that he told Stern he "expects and deserves" such a punishment.

The reports also said Gilbert would instruct the Players Union not to contest such a punishment.

The word from the NBA, of course, was somewhat different. Here's what happened when a TMZ reporter on the conference call with David Stern attempted to reconcile these differences.

Q: Gilbert Arenas asked to be suspended for the rest of the season and did not want the Players Association to fight it. Did Mr. Crittenton request the suspension as well?
Stern: Is that a statement?

Q: That's what the reports are saying, that Gilbert had asked to be suspended for the remainder of the season....
Stern: Where did you get that report from?
Q: Sources out there are saying this.

Stern: Sources out there are saying it.
Q: So it's untrue?
Stern: That's not true.

Q: And so did he not say that he wanted the Players Association to fight this, then?
Stern: I don't know what you're saying. He did not say he wanted the suspension, and he wouldn't fight it. Asked, and answered.

Boom. I also remembered a conversation I had with Stern last year (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/03/david_stern_on_ovechkin_gilber.html), during a celebration of Abe Pollin at GW. I asked Stern about enthusiastic celebrations, and he said he was old-school and wasn't too into them.
"But that's changed, and you know what? That's because everything has changed," he said. "If you Tweet, you're telling the world about everything. If you're on social media, you're telling the world about everything. So I consider the exuberance to be a reflection of the way people are growing up and the way they're expressing themselves."
Later, I asked Stern about Gilbert's blog.

"I think he's out there," Stern said. "That's good, that's great, it's fun. First, when I read it originally, I'd go AIIIIIGH. But then I said, 'Hey, ok.' "

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/wizardsinsider/