PDA

View Full Version : Ex-NBA player rips Haiti, compares country to 'homeless men'

90'sNBARocked
01-27-2010, 03:10 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/Former-NBAer-criticizes-Haitian-relief-efforts-012710?GT1=39002

"I haven’t donated to the Haitian relief effort for the same reason that I don't give money to homeless men on the street," he wrote. "Based on past experiences, I don't think the guy with the sign that reads 'Need You're Help' is going to do anything constructive with the dollar I might give him. If I use history as my guide, I don't think the people of Haiti will do much with my money either."

Oh, I don't know Paul, maybe they will use the money for :

food, shelter, clean water, clothes etc.

How could anyone possibly be that insensitive especially from someone earning millions of dollars in the NBA who is athletically and intellectually a bum

Pot meet kettle

As we prepare to assist you in this difficult time, a polite request: If it’s possible, could you not re-build your island home in the image of its predecessor? Could you not resort to the creation of flimsy shanty- and shack-towns? And could some of you maybe use a condom once in a while?

wow, what an unbelivably insensitive pompass azz. This has really scary undertones here

IUfan4life
01-27-2010, 03:15 PM
so you don't know pail shirley at all but yet claim he is earning millions of dollars and an intellectual bum? both of which aren't true

like it or not he has somewhat of a point Haiti has been very poor since... forever. We both know he took it to an extreme here but it's called marketing

Pingu
01-27-2010, 03:19 PM
:shakehead

Too bad this guy was, at some point, on an NBA roster. Otherwise we wouldn't have heard about him and the world would have been better for it.

btowncolt
01-27-2010, 03:20 PM
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc173/FrankLongo/lavar.gif

90'sNBARocked
01-27-2010, 03:24 PM
so you don't know pail shirley at all but yet claim he is earning millions of dollars and an intellectual bum? both of which aren't true

like it or not he has somewhat of a point Haiti has been very poor since... forever. We both know he took it to an extreme here but it's called marketing

Well , considering he has been on active rosters before I believe he has at least grossed a million in his career, and yeah I guess I dont know his intellect excactly

but anyone who tell a country to "use condoms" or tell a country who had a natural disater leading to the loss of almost 200,00 lives "they dont need my money becuase they wont know what to do with it"

to me is a sorry azz excuse for a human being , too bad its not his azz overlooking thousands of deceased children and wondering how he will eat, sleep or ever return their life to some sort of normallcy

I wonder would Mrs Shirley have made the same commments if the country was a poor European country like Bosnia :-o:-o

Unclebuck
01-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Thread probably won't last too long as it is likely to get into area we don't discuss

pacersgroningen
01-27-2010, 03:56 PM
We can now all fall over Paul, but in turn, have you ever been to Haiti? A natural disaster is a tragedy, most definitely, but what Paul is saying does make some sense, he should only deliver his message in another way. Making a remark about Bosnia is completely different, if a tragedy happens there, I highly doubt the Bosnian people will build walls of corpses to block roads because they feel they did not get enough money and help directly? Do you think they will just be sitting there all day, waiting while all the help-organisations rebuild the country? That's Haiti.

So please don't take this the wrong way, nobody deserves a disaster, but they have to start rebuilding it themselves and not sit and wait till someone else does it for them.

Psycho T
01-27-2010, 04:03 PM
If he was talking about the red cross then he would have a point. Biggest bunch of thieves on the planet.

90'sNBARocked
01-27-2010, 04:14 PM
We can now all fall over Paul, but in turn, have you ever been to Haiti? A natural disaster is a tragedy, most definitely, but what Paul is saying does make some sense, he should only deliver his message in another way. Making a remark about Bosnia is completely different, if a tragedy happens there, I highly doubt the Bosnian people will build walls of corpses to block roads because they feel they did not get enough money and help directly? Do you think they will just be sitting there all day, waiting while all the help-organisations rebuild the country? That's Haiti.

So please don't take this the wrong way, nobody deserves a disaster, but they have to start rebuilding it themselves and not sit and wait till someone else does it for them.

Very well said and appreciate your stance on the matter

Pingu
01-27-2010, 04:16 PM
If he was talking about the red cross then he would have a point. Biggest bunch of thieves on the planet.

I thought people were supposed to use a green font for sarcasm? :rolleyes:

Some of you guys need a reality check...

The real sports-related issue here is whether people who come into public light for their athletic achievements (or non-achievements as the case may be) should be allowed to use this spotlight to voice their opinions on completely unrelated topics.

What would people say if tomorrow LeBron James used his fame to defend Fidel Castro? People would just say 'Shut up and play basket-ball'. Same goes here.

90'sNBARocked
01-27-2010, 04:20 PM

Really, and I am being sincere I never heard that and if it is acurate please tell me

I text 10 bucks to red cross yesterday

BornReady
01-27-2010, 04:24 PM
pretty sure we can just disregard his comments, move on with life, and continue to help haiti.

special ed
01-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Haiti was a completely self sufficient country until a national tariff law was passed adding tariffs to rice, thereby allowing big biz to cut into the price of rice and making it cheaper for Haiti to import rice to their country. This has become a major talking point for the Limbaughs of the world, so I'm certain this NBA player is simply parroting some talk show host.
Maybe that puts the lock in effect?

Dr. Awesome
01-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Haiti is the most beautiful place I have been in my life. Its gorgeous.

This guy just made an enemy, with the world.

GO!!!!!
01-27-2010, 04:33 PM
he's no different to Charles Barkley mouthin off...

MLB007
01-27-2010, 04:35 PM
wow, you guys should read a little about what is going on there before demonizing this guy!
Turns out, HE"S RIGHT. Haiti is well known as one of the most corrupt governments in the world. HISTORICALLY, very little aid passes through the grubby goverenment officials hands to the actually people in need.
That is what he was referring too, and it is being discussed daily on national news shows and newpapers.

vnzla81
01-27-2010, 04:40 PM
Really, and I am being sincere I never heard that and if it is acurate please tell me

I text 10 bucks to red cross yesterday

The red cross sometimes is used as a politic weapon, the country were the help is going needs to meet some requirements, many times they help but their bureaucracy is so bad that at the end they send pennies on the dollar to the country you are sending money to. They work as a bank and don't send all the money you send to Haiti, if they feel that they(haiti) already got enough money they would keep the rest to "help" in another ocasion.

GO!!!!!
01-27-2010, 04:40 PM
what has a corrupt goverment got do with relief for a natural disaster that has effected the poorest people.., that is like China not donating help to America for Katriana because it's not a communist country...

Hicks
01-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Just not the place for it. Yes, he's a former NBA player, but no, the topic won't really be about him, it will be about Haiti and that situation.