PDA

View Full Version : Take that John Hollinger you whining infant!

90'sNBARocked
01-26-2010, 07:08 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=15098

Dahntay Jones, Indiana Pacers, $2.5M After a remarkable start to the season, Jones has slowed down recently but remains one of the best bargains in the NBA this season. A gritty defensive player (some might say dirty), the seventh-year pro out of Duke has come into his own as an offensive player, averaging 11.7 points per game this season (his previous career-high was 7.5 in 2006-07). Jones is also averaging career-highs in rebounds (3.3 per game), assists (2.3), steals (.6) and blocked shots (.7). His expanding all-around game has this 6-6 swingman earning every penny he is paid, and more.

So Mr Stats that make no sense (Hollinger) your opinion that Jones was the "worst siging of the off season" is now null and void!

LoneGranger33
01-26-2010, 07:34 PM
I also believe he's seeing more minutes than at any other time in his career.

Kid Minneapolis
01-26-2010, 10:06 PM
I've been pleasantly surprised with his abilities. His offensive game came as a surprise, as I was not familiar with his game before he came here, and all I'd heard about was his defensive strengths. He goes through occasional offensive lapses of judgment... but that's not out-of-the-ordinary for a Pacers player.

Naptown_Seth
01-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Exactly. Forget minutes, let's talk POSSESSIONS PER GAME. That's definitely at an all time high.

Funny how that part gets left off when someone wants to make a point.

He's not the worst signing, but what I love is the myopic view here. Instead of Jones there was a legit opportunity to get Afflalo which TBird came up with BEFORE he was gone. Is anyone here following up on the lower paid Afflalo?

No you say? Okay, well here are Dahntay's per 36
4.1 rpg
2.9 apg
0.7 stl
0.9 blk
4.2 foul
45.4% eFG
4.8 FTA
That costs you 2.5m a year

Or for 1m you could have the younger Afflalo who is a defensive ace that's very similar down the line except for being a better shooter.
3.8 rpg
2.5 apg
0.9 stl
0.5 blk
3.8 foul
58.6% eFG
1.6 FTA

Even by DJones own per36 numbers he's not really doing something remarkable. It's his best PPG but it's also his highest FGA per game as well (per36). And it's come with his WORST 3P% yet.

His REBp36 isn't his best, his steals are about half as good as last year (p36). His TOs are at their highest, and that's per36 too so not due to extra playing time.

He's blocked more shots than normal and he's dished out better assists by a small amount.

By most metrics this is basically an on-par season for him. That's okay, but you gave him a big raise and locked him in for 4 years when it really seemed like you didn't need to. It's minor compared to bigger deals, but giving someone twice as much or a year more than needed for no good reason is bad at any contract level.

And I'm pretty happy with Dahntay as a player. I just don't like the deal and I don't think he's "shown everyone".

cinotimz
01-27-2010, 09:38 AM
Exactly. Forget minutes, let's talk POSSESSIONS PER GAME. That's definitely at an all time high.

He's not the worst signing, but what I love is the myopic view here. Instead of Jones there was a legit opportunity to get Afflalo which TBird came up with BEFORE he was gone. Is anyone here following up on the lower paid Afflalo?

4.1 rpg
2.9 apg
0.7 stl
0.9 blk
4.2 foul
45.4% eFG
4.8 FTA

Or for 1m you could have the younger Afflalo who is a defensive ace that's very similar down the line except for being a better shooter.
3.8 rpg
2.5 apg
0.9 stl
0.5 blk
3.8 foul
58.6% eFG
1.6 FTA

Even by DJones own per36 numbers he's not really doing something remarkable. It's his best PPG but it's also his highest FGA per game as well (per36). And it's come with his WORST 3P% yet.

His REBp36 isn't his best, his steals are about half as good as last year (p36). His TOs are at their highest, and that's per36 too so not due to extra playing time.

He's blocked more shots than normal and he's dished out better assists by a small amount.

By most metrics this is basically an on-par season for him. That's okay, but you gave him a big raise and locked him in for 4 years when it really seemed like you didn't need to. It's minor compared to bigger deals, but giving someone twice as much or a year more than needed for no good reason is bad at any contract level.

And I'm pretty happy with Dahntay as a player. I just don't like the deal and I don't think he's "shown everyone".

Except Seth, Im not sure how fair the Afflalo comparison is. Afflalo is early on his rookie contract. Dahntay is not on a rookie scale deal-hes on his second deal. Despite that, if Afflalo plays for his qualifying offer in 2 years he will be making more money than Dahntay will that year.

And getting Afflalo wouldve required making a deal with Detroit. I think there are 2 chances of that happening. Slim and None.

And Slim just left town.

90'sNBARocked
01-27-2010, 01:28 PM

True, and a good point

however if his percentages are up across the board, then he just needed more time, but has also become a better player

90'sNBARocked
01-27-2010, 01:30 PM

Seth,

What do you not like about the deal? The length of contract or the dollar amount per year?

You also have to consider that he left a playoff team for a rebuilding one, so we would have had to overpay at least slightly

judicata
01-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Seth, it doesn't have to be the best deal to be a good deal. There is some middle ground. You shouldn't always be pissed when Bird doesn't make the best possible (in the rear view mirror) move, especially when he makes quite good one in its place.

DocHolliday
01-27-2010, 02:06 PM

4.1 rpg
2.9 apg
0.7 stl
0.9 blk
4.2 foul
45.4% eFG
4.8 FTA

3.8 rpg
2.5 apg
0.9 stl
0.5 blk
3.8 foul
58.6% eFG
1.6 FTA

Dismerit.