PDA

View Full Version : Hornets trade Brown for draft pick

MillerTime
01-26-2010, 02:54 PM
The New Orleans Hornets have lined up the last move they need to make to get under the NBA's luxury-tax threshold.

NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com that the Hornets have reached a verbal agreement on a trade with the Los Angeles Clippers that will send reserve guard Bobby Brown to the Clippers for a conditional future second-round draft pick.

A trade call with the league office to formally approve the deal is scheduled for Tuesday morning, sources said.

The Hornets were roughly $425,000 over the league's $69.9 million tax threshold after Monday's deal with Chicago that sent guard Devin Brown to the Bulls for big man Aaron Gray.

Moving Brown's $736,420 salary gets New Orleans comfortably under the tax line, which will put the Hornets in line to receive a rebate approaching $5 million that is paid out to all non-tax teams during the summer.

The Hornets have made a series of tax-motivated trades to shed salary since last season, starting with the deal that sent Rasual Butler to the Clippers for a second-round pick in 2016. Hilton Armstrong was also dealt to Sacramento earlier this month for a 2016 second-rounder.

The Clippers, meanwhile, have capitalized on the Hornets' luxury-tax issues to fill another need in their rotation. Brown could compete for backup minutes at both point guard and shooting guard. The Clippers lost Sebastian Telfair for four to six weeks with a groin injury and Eric Gordon is dealing with a foot injury.

The trade would be a homecoming for Brown, who starred at L.A.'s Westchester High School and played collegiately at nearby Cal State Fullerton.

ESPN
http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/news/story?id=4858167

Mourning
01-26-2010, 02:59 PM
New Orleans is getting 2016 second rounders in the deals they are making? :wtf:

MillerTime
01-26-2010, 03:38 PM
New Orleans is getting 2016 second rounders in the deals they are making? :wtf:

NO doesnt really care what they get back from this deal. Their main concern was getting under the LT

CableKC
01-26-2010, 05:03 PM
This is why having SalaryCap flexiblity is important these days. I'm not talking about this specific trade in particular ( Bobby Brown for 2nd round picks does very little for the Clips )....I'm talking about having SalaryCap Flexibility so that you can have the opportunity to capitalize on Teams that need Financial/SalaryCap help. This is why I want to let the Big 4 Contracts expire or dealt ASAP....and I suspect or at least hope :pray: that this is part of Bird's 3 year plan.

RomanGabriel
01-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Dag! Tough times for Bobby. First the split with Whitney, now exiled to the Clips!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

CableKC
01-26-2010, 06:08 PM
Dag! Tough times for Bobby. First the split with Whitney, now exiled to the Clips!
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">
Well, it's his perogative.....

Anthem
01-26-2010, 10:21 PM
That takes West off the block, I'd presume. Makes Murphy that much more valuable.

Mourning
01-27-2010, 12:59 AM
NO doesnt really care what they get back from this deal. Their main concern was getting under the LT

I know, I know they want to get a piece of the revenue sharing cake that teams that stay under te LT get. But, still friggin' 2016! LOL.

Justin Tyme
01-27-2010, 08:09 AM
This is why I want to let the Big 4 Contracts expire or dealt ASAP....and I suspect or at least hope :pray: that this is part of Bird's 3 year plan.

What other option does Bird have? He either has to trade them or let them expire.

Will Galen
01-27-2010, 10:43 AM
What other option does Bird have? He either has to trade them or let them expire.

Depending on their contracts he could probably extend them.:p

CableKC
01-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Sorry...maybe I should have been clearer in my post. I meant that I hope that the 3 year plan is to either let them expire or trade them in 2 weeks ( as in, this season ). The 3rd option ( which IMHO is not preferable ) is to wait and trade them next season...which would likely add to our 2011-2012 Salary Cap.

Naptown_Seth
01-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Will the payout really be close to $5m per team.

So you move Troy for Big Z and save $18m next year, with a lockout looming just beyond that. $18m is a lot of money.

How?
12m in salary
1m over tax so you pay 1m penalty
give up the 5m check since you are over the tax

Justin Tyme
01-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Depending on their contracts he could probably extend them.:p

Cough cough choke. There went the tea all over the monitor.

Please don't give Bird any ideas, we have already seen 2 cases of his blunder extensions!

CableKC
01-27-2010, 02:02 PM
Will the payout really be close to $5m per team.

So you move Troy for Big Z and save $18m next year, with a lockout looming just beyond that. $18m is a lot of money.

How?
12m in salary
1m over tax so you pay 1m penalty
give up the 5m check since you are over the tax
But Murphy and the other Big4 Contracts will be expiring Contracts next season. Aren't expiring Contracts always worth something? Can't we get back some decent pieces for an Expiring Contract?

NOTE - I'm totally on the "Trade one of the Big4 ( especially Murphy ) in the next 2 weeks for an Expiring Contract" Bandwagon and with you on this....I'm just not as good as you at explaining it to everyone else.....hence my role as "Devil's Advocate" here ;)