PDA

View Full Version : O'Brien better off coahcing in the NCAA?

90'sNBARocked
01-26-2010, 02:35 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/chat.asp?status=&CHAT_TOPICS_ID=732

Eric P in Naptown:
Whats going on Luke? Has there been a head coach oin the history of the NBA with more different starting lineups than Jim O'Brien?

Luke Byrnes:
Who knows, man? It hasn't been pretty for the Pacers this season. Dunleavy hasn't been himself. Neither has Murphy. Granger's injury certainly didn't help and the Pacers have, quite simply, under-achieved. O'Brien is a hard-nosed dude. Perhaps his style is better suited for the college game, where he had so much success as an assistant to Rick Pitino.

I really didnt follow Pitino so I was wondering if anyone has and if they remember how Obie was used at Providence

Maybe his style is too rough for the NBA. Not saying you should cuddle grown men but you have to speak to them as such, can't berrate them all day.

Underachieving is todays word

Kegboy
01-26-2010, 03:04 PM
Absolutely not. Perhaps his temperment is more suited to the college game, but his entire coaching philosophy would be a disaster. With professionals, there's a chance they are talented and disciplined enough to overcome a complete lack of structure, I can't imagine college kids being able to function, let alone succeed with him "leading" them.

90'sNBARocked
01-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Absolutely not. Perhaps his temperment is more suited to the college game, but his entire coaching philosophy would be a disaster. With professionals, there's a chance they are talented and disciplined enough to overcome a complete lack of structure, I can't imagine college kids being able to function, let alone succeed with him "leading" them.

I know, they kind of lost me on that one. I dont know how he ahs kept his job in the NBA for so long

LG33
01-26-2010, 03:49 PM
I don't know if he'd be better off coaching in the NCAA, but I would like to find out.

McKeyFan
01-26-2010, 03:52 PM
WE would be better off. Not sure about him.

cdash
01-26-2010, 04:10 PM

Actually, I disagree. I think he's a smart enough guy to add more structure to his offense if he were coaching college age kids. There are a lot of NCAA coaches who give their players the green light to shoot from deep (Pitino, Huggins, Beilein) while still giving them structure. I'm not sure he would be better off in college, but I'd say once his Pacers tenure is over that his head coaching days in the NBA are likely over.

ksuttonjr76
01-26-2010, 04:14 PM
No...it wouldn't be too long before he's beaten up by some kid's parent, because he benched their son "to develop the young players".

PacerDude
01-26-2010, 07:02 PM
He should coach in the Lollipop Guild League.

90'sNBARocked
01-26-2010, 08:02 PM
I don't know if he'd be better off coaching in the NCAA, but I would like to find out.

lmao

needed that badly :)

90'sNBARocked
01-26-2010, 08:03 PM
Actually, I disagree. I think he's a smart enough guy to add more structure to his offense if he were coaching college age kids. There are a lot of NCAA coaches who give their players the green light to shoot from deep (Pitino, Huggins, Beilein) while still giving them structure. I'm not sure he would be better off in college, but I'd say once his Pacers tenure is over that his head coaching days in the NBA are likely over.

Dash ,

I think you make a good point about his structure, plus I dont Pitino would have kept him that long if he wasnt contributing something

Brad8888
01-27-2010, 11:22 AM
He should coach in the Lollipop Guild League.

He could coach the Washington Generals. That would probably keep the Globetrotters streak alive for many years to come, unless of course the Generals get hot from the arc.

Or, he could coach the opposing team to Peyton and Eli in the Oreo Double Stuff Racing League, thereby insuring that the popular Manning brothers continue their dominance. However, we need to be cautious about wanting that. The Manning brothers might start gaining weight and lose some of their mental focus with continuous long term exposure to such substances which might, in turn, limit their effectiveness in their day jobs.

Since86
01-27-2010, 11:37 AM
I think he would be an excellent mid-major coach.

Infinite MAN_force
01-27-2010, 05:06 PM
I think he would be an excellent mid-major coach.

This. I don't like Obrien at all as the Pacers coach, but some people around here are being unfair. He wouldn't be where he is if he didn't know a thing or two about coaching basketball.

If Jim Obrien could recruit the kind of players HE likes to play HIS system, I think he would make an excellent college coach. His stubborn style would be far less of a problem because he would have more control over the makeup of his roster. I am sure he would run some sort of up tempo game based around ball movement and three point shooting, not exactly unheard of in the NCAA.

I think his main problem here has been his inability to adapt to the roster, and his tendency to be overly loyal to veterans who aren't getting the job done, while giving his young player far too short of a leash. I don't think either would be a problem for him in the NCAA where he could recruit his own players.

Plus most college baskeball teams play small, he would be in hog heaven.