PDA

View Full Version : Interesting

MyFavMartin
01-25-2010, 09:27 PM
Supposedly this team is full of good shooters and 3PT shots go up a lot. After hearing from the Phily coach how Indy likes to take the first open 3PT shot, I decided to look up some stats.

Team 2PT% 3PT%
IND 47.0% 33.1%
OPP 47.2% 36.7%

On average we take 6 more 3 PT attempts and only make 1.4 more...

And of course, 3PT shooters don't get to the free throw line... so I'm failing to see JOB's logic and/or execution.

Bball
01-25-2010, 09:56 PM
so I'm failing to see JOB's logic and/or execution.

I'd have to agree.... there is no logic in O'Brien's system with this team... but a firing would be fine. I don't think an execution is warranted.

Putnam
01-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Supposedly this team is full of good shooters and 3PT shots go up a low. After hearing from the Phily coach how Indy likes to take the first open 3PT shot, I decided to look up some stats.

Team 2PT% 3PT%
IND 47.0% 33.1%
OPP 47.2% 36.7%

On average we take 6 more 3 PT attempts and only make 1.4 more...

And of course, 3PT shooters don't get to the free throw line... so I'm failing to see JOB's logic and/or execution.

The average is deceiving. In games the Pacers win, they generally shoot the 3 well.

Bball
01-25-2010, 10:32 PM
The average is deceiving. In games the Pacers win, they generally shoot the 3 well.

Is the average deceiving? Wouldn't it only be deceiving if the Pacers had a good W-L record? Since they have an abysmal W-L record, if anything the numbers are deceptive just that the average isn't lower...

Or should I put more thought into this?

Anthem
01-25-2010, 10:34 PM
I'd have to agree.... there is no logic in O'Brien's system with this team... but a firing would be fine. I don't think an execution is warranted.
:laugh:

Squirrelz
01-25-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm getting sick of this. I wish we would decide on which direction we're going. We lose to team A at home, just to beat them on the road 2 days later? Either win or lose. I'm done being in limbo. I'm sick of seeing us play our butts off and play well 2 or 3 games in a row, just to have it all look as if everything's been thrown out the window a night or two later.

Basically, I'm just to my wits end on our inconsistency.

Jonathan
01-26-2010, 01:32 AM
Pacers have struggled with back to back games for years. Keep in mind we played Friday vs Detroit and won then got beat Saturday. Day off then we win.

I will be looking up the Pacers record on back to back games ASAP

DaveP63
01-26-2010, 11:34 AM
I'd have to agree.... there is no logic in O'Brien's system with this team...

Roulette wheel.

the jaddler
01-26-2010, 12:03 PM
well just proves that when you miss more than the oppenant you lose! I agree we need to stop chucking up every shot possible....work on some mid range jumpers and hell im pretty sure the layup is still legal!

travmil
01-26-2010, 04:00 PM
Roulette wheel.

LOL I can see Obie running the wheel to dole out playing time in the locker room before the game...

"OH Josh...sorry man, double zero again...that's a bad run of luck partner. Here's a comp for a free steak dinner..."

Putnam
01-26-2010, 05:00 PM
Is the average deceiving? Wouldn't it only be deceiving if the Pacers had a good W-L record? Since they have an abysmal W-L record, if anything the numbers are deceptive just that the average isn't lower...

Or should I put more thought into this?

The average deceives anyone who imagines that the average itself always, or often, occurs. The average is not the most common result, and in some distributions it seldom or never occurs.

The Pacers don't always shoot 3s at .333 accuracy. In the first 40 games, they went over that in 18 games, and they were 10-8 in those games. In games when they shot worse than .333 from 3Pt range, they were 4-18.

That is quite a difference. You can ponder the average all day long, and that difference will never occur to you.

As my muse, Nassim Nicolas Taleb, says, "The median is not the message."