PDA

View Full Version : JOB making excuses again/Excuses or explanation?/Indystar

vnzla81
01-24-2010, 03:35 PM
http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsider/archives/2010/01/excuses_or_expl.html

Posted by Jeff Rabjohns

Excuses or explanation?

After the Pacers 107-97 loss to Philadelphia Saturday night, Jim O'Brien pointed to the schedule and said his players were exhausted.

They weren't buying it all.

O'Brien's comments weren't in response to any questions. They were a long opening statement.

Here are the two main bits:

-- "Our guys played exhausted and we got outplayed. There's no question about it. Our guys were exhausted and they should be. We just played a five week schedule that was as difficult from the standpoint of number of games that were played in a period of just a month and five days, just taxing."

-- "Our guys were tired. Everybody goes through rough patches. We played tired, and that's all there was to it."

O'Brien pointed out that since Dec. 18, the Pacers have had three sets of four games in five nights and nine sets of back-to-back games. Both Philadelphia and the Pacers played Friday.

After O'Brien's comments, we went into the locker and asked the players what they thought.

Here's a sampling:

-- "It's the NBA. Some games are like that no matter what the schedule is. They played last night, too, and they came in and got the victory," point guard Earl Watson said.

-- "I personally don't," Dahntay Jones said of whether or not he saw exhaustion as a reason for the loss. "I don't want to use that as an excuse. I'm ready to compete on a daily basis. We have to win basketball games we're capable of winning, and tonight was one of them."

-- "It's hard to say. Every game, whether it's the first game of a back-to-back or the second or whatever, maybe it has an impact, maybe it doesn't. It's the schedule. You've just got to roll with it," Mike Dunleavy said.

Excuses or explanation from a coach?

cdash
01-24-2010, 03:41 PM
As with most things, the answer probably lies somewhere in between. At this point though, I'm tired of hearing this stuff out of him. So I'll side more with "excuse".

Shade
01-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Excuses. Obie's been full of them and I, for one, am tired of it.

vnzla81
01-24-2010, 03:50 PM
I agree, he is been making excuses all year, that the players were not healthy, that TJ is not the PG, the big line up, the small line up, that they are tired, that they have to much energy, that the team does not fit his style, that Brandon Rush is not playing well, we should have a name for him for making so many excuses.

BlueNGold
01-24-2010, 03:59 PM
Excuses are for losers.

Winners take responsibility and admit to their own shortcomings. "Winners" may not always be victorious, but they don't make excuses.

JOb says they were tired yet Josh got a DNP and Solo played 7 minutes. They could have relieved the front court players, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!....gotta play exhausted players.

In the back court, he wore out Luther Head with 8 minutes. Not sure if Diener or TJ were available, but they didn't play a minute. If our players were so exhausted, I think they had a backup or two...particularly with the way he likes to go small.

When is his contract up?

vnzla81
01-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Excuses are for losers.

Winners take responsibility and admit to their own shortcomings. "Winners" may not always be victorious, but they don't make excuses.

JOb says they were tired yet Josh got a DNP and Solo played 7 minutes. They could have relieved the front court players, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!....gotta play exhausted players.

In the back court, he wore out Luther Head with 8 minutes. Not sure if Diener or TJ were available, but they didn't play a minute. If our players were so exhausted, I think they had a backup or two...particularly with the way he likes to go small.

When is his contract up?

two more years :(

BlueNGold
01-24-2010, 04:04 PM
-- "I personally don't," Dahntay Jones said of whether or not he saw exhaustion as a reason for the loss. "I don't want to use that as an excuse. I'm ready to compete on a daily basis. We have to win basketball games we're capable of winning, and tonight was one of them."

Thank you Dahntay. This is a situation where the coach needs someone or something to blame, but refuses to accept his strategy is faulty.

Sookie
01-24-2010, 04:16 PM
every team in this league goes through stretches like this, and a lot of teams have a shorter rotation than JOB. And a lot of teams win more than this during that stretch.

Now, I'm sure with the limited talent Indiana would have a better shot at winning if they aren't tired, and the other team is. But it's excuses. The lack of players and coaches willing to lead and take accountability..instead of pointing fingers..is a little scary.

Unclebuck
01-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Schedule has been tough, but I bet the coach was sensing the players needed some cover. As an NBA coach you can't be Bob Knight all the time. Often times you have to stick up for your players, and considering he really got all over them (which so many of you also criticized - no matter what Jim does at this point all of you criticize it) earlier this week, Jim probably rightly determined he needed to have the players back.

Fact: Pacers did just finish 4 games in 5 nights, that is tough

Shade
01-24-2010, 05:37 PM
two more years :(

I thought we only extended him through next season...?

Unclebuck
01-24-2010, 05:39 PM
next season is the last on Jim's contract

CableKC
01-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Excuse or Explanation? Depends on what you think of JO'B. The schedule has been rather taxing, so...it's not unreasonable to think that fatique could be a factor in the loss. I don't mind that JO'B commented on the schedule as a factor as to why the Team wasn't doing so good. I guess I'm more disappointed that he didn't follow up his "the schedule was taxing and fatigue is a reason for the loss" with a "but we should have stepped up when we didn't" follow-up comment. Saying that it was a schedule loss while not owning up that the Players didn't step us becomes an excuse IMHO. We're not the only Team with a crappy schedule.....good Teams/Coaches own the loss....bad Teams/Coaches blame everyone else but themselves.

Unclebuck
01-24-2010, 06:40 PM
Excuse or Explanation? Depends on what you think of JO'B. The schedule has been rather taxing, so...it's not unreasonable to think that fatique could be a factor in the loss. I don't mind that JO'B commented on the schedule as a factor as to why the Team wasn't doing so good. I guess I'm more disappointed that he didn't follow up his "the schedule was taxing and fatigue is a reason for the loss" with a "but we should have stepped up when we didn't" follow-up comment. Saying that it was a schedule loss while not owning up that the Players didn't step us becomes an excuse IMHO. We're not the only Team with a crappy schedule.....good Teams/Coaches own the loss....bad Teams/Coaches blame everyone else but themselves.

I heard the whole press conference and I believe he did to a degree say what you wish he would have. I forget the exact verbiage

CableKC
01-24-2010, 06:48 PM
I heard the whole press conference and I believe he did to a degree say what you wish he would have. I forget the exact verbiage
Then I'll accept that it was an explanation then.

Spirit
01-24-2010, 06:50 PM
New Nickname - Jim O'Cryin

BlueNGold
01-24-2010, 07:26 PM

First you said "Jim probably rightly determined he needed to have the players back." Then you say (in Cable's words) that Jim, to a degree "owned up that the Players didn't step up."

I didn't hear it, but I find it difficult to believe he can do both of these things and come out of it sounding sincere. Maybe he did, but this sounds like another mixed message I've grown accustomed to hearing from him.

BTW, beyond basketball I happen to like "JOb the person"...because there are some things off the court he does that has, to say the least, gained my respect, but I don't like the constant mixed messages.

Brad8888
01-24-2010, 10:59 PM
Some of this previous post belonged with the post game thread, the rest goes better in this thread.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?p=949983#post949983

During the post game O'B interview, it was unbelievable to listen to O'B complaining (while saying multiple times that he wasn't) about the huge number of games the Pacers have had over the last 5 weeks, with 10 (?) back to backs and 3 instances of 4 games in 5 nights, and his players are exhausted. All true, obviously. He says his players are exhausted, and played that way, which is why they lost, and is acting like this is the first time he has considered that to be a possibility or a factor. Half of his interview was about this...

Well, Jim, no ****.

It is beyond comprehension that he would say that his players are exhausted NOW, while it has been obvious for some time that the low shooting percentages that we have been seeing fairly regularly for a long time, has at least had something to do with players not having lift from their legs in their shots, especially late in games, but not always, and that fatigue also has contributed to further weakening our porous "defense" as well.

What is unbelievable to me is this. He could have mitigated this very thing by utilizing his available roster and changing his game strategy. He easily could have done something utterly foreign to him when he looked ahead at the schedule 6 or 7 weeks ago when the schedule was lighter and 1) gone deeper into his bench and 2) put into place an offense that is more centered on getting to the rim and getting fouled to increase scoring efficiency through shooting more FTs to offset the possibility of jumpers not falling due to fatigue and utilized it through this heavy part of the schedule. That is part of the "planning for the game" aspect of coaching that I thought O'B is supposed to be so strong in, isn't it? Well, how in the world can that be if he simply bulls ahead and treats the fatigue factor by simply reducing practices somewhat (which he also blamed for poor team performance -- the fact that during the last 5 weeks that the Pacers have only had 7 full speed practices, besides those he has conducted earlier on game days at lesser intensity).

Should he do this now? Why in the world would he? That would be like shutting the barn door after you willfully release all of your livestock, making sure that they ALL get out of the barn by frantically waving your arms at them and saying some version of "shoo" or "git" until they all run out. Now, I would guess he will simply leave the barn door open and hope some of the livestock return at feeding time, though I doubt a very high percentage do with the poor quality of feed he would use.

I commented to another random fan I had never met while going out to the concourse after the game (yes, I was there, this time in 204) that we might be OK if Jim just had the same ability regarding finding his way to games as he does for coaching the game of basketball. The fan quickly burst out laughing and said "That's so true. That would be our only hope."