PDA

View Full Version : David Stern owes the Pacers John Wall

Pacergeek
01-22-2010, 09:49 AM
I feel that Commissioner Stern owes the Pacers the number one over all pick in the lottery. I still believe that Commissioner Stern's punishment after the event that cannot be named was too severe. Those that disagree, I understand. The fact of the matter is that Stern's guys, meaning the referees, let the situation get out of control. Ben Wallace should have been ejected immediately. I don't agree with what 91 did, but I don't believe that we the fans should still have to suffer. By suspending 91 for the season, Stern single-handedly derailed the Pacers chances of winning a title, which isn't right. I am also still bitter that the professional basketball team from Michigan, got off scott-free.

Lets also remember the injustice of the 1985 lottery where the Knicks won and drafted Patrick Ewing. I know that Indiana is a small market, but the Pacers have done their time. Years have passed, and we need to be relevant again.

Putnam
01-22-2010, 09:53 AM
http://wtfoodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/candyland.jpg

duke dynamite
01-22-2010, 09:54 AM
Nobody owes us anything. I don't see how we deserve any different than any other team.

Jonathan
01-22-2010, 10:26 AM
Revenue across the league is going down. We are a basketball state. Look @ our division you have Bogut, Rose, & Lebron all number one picks. Why not add another to the mix? Damn looks like Stern will screw us again and Detroit will be getting that pick.

Unclebuck
01-22-2010, 10:30 AM
This thread is I guess pre-supposing that Stern controls which teams get what draft picks

duke dynamite
01-22-2010, 10:40 AM
This thread is I guess pre-supposing that Stern controls which teams get what draft picks
http://conspiracylol.com/images/conspiracy.jpg

Brad8888
01-22-2010, 10:48 AM
http://wtfoodge.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/candyland.jpg

Who's that from our distant television past? From a time period that the Pacers' fortunes were similar to ours today?

I could swear I hear a diminutive man, standing next to an older distinguished looking man who was apparently in charge of an idyllic paradise.

Diminutive man, named "Tatoo", (after running to the top of a nearby bell tower and excitedly ringing a bell) speaking urgently with a thick French accent:

"Ze plane! Ze plane!"

Quickly, a seaplane lands in the nearby water carrying unsuspecting couples with various dysfunctional visions of what they have always wished for in their lives which were quickly to become apparent.

Within a couple more minutes, those couples lined up in a reception area somewhere near the pier that the seaplane ends up tied off to, at which point the older man, with a thick Hispanic accent while lifting a glass in toast:

"My dear guests, I am Mr. Roarke, your host. Welcome to Fantasy Island."

DocHolliday
01-22-2010, 10:49 AM
I believe the reverse--the Pacers will never win the lottery as long as Stern runs the show--and yes, it is a conspiracy. Stern is as crooked as Vince McMahon.

PR07
01-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Why does Stern have a hidden agenda against the Pacers, but allows other small market teams like the Bucks to get a #1 Pick?

pacergod2
01-22-2010, 11:25 AM
The odds are against every team in getting the number one pick. Even if you have the worst record you get a 25% chance of winning it. That's a 75% chance of ANYBODY else winning it. Therefore, the odds are always against the Pacers, and every team for that matter. We are being a bit short-sighted calling David Stern crooked. While I think he does a lot to effect the game behind the scenes, manipulating the lottery is not changing the Pacers chances of getting the top pick. Or even a top three pick.

travmil
01-22-2010, 11:31 AM

If they have nothing to hide why don't they show the balls coming out of the hopper? They just have a guy tell you what order they came out in.

Alabama-Redneck
01-22-2010, 11:39 AM
The odds are against every team in getting the number one pick. Even if you have the worst record you get a 25% chance of winning it. That's a 75% chance of ANYBODY else winning it. Therefore, the odds are always against the Pacers, and every team for that matter. We are being a bit short-sighted calling David Stern crooked. While I think he does a lot to effect the game behind the scenes, manipulating the lottery is not changing the Pacers chances of getting the top pick. Or even a top three pick.

You're absolutely correct but look at all the arguments and debates the conspiracy theory cause. It's more fun than just agreeing that it is all chance. :D

:cool:

IndySDExport
01-22-2010, 12:08 PM
If we're going to start a David Stern draft conspiracy thread, we should starting making our picks for this years draft lottery. That way when one comes true....

My guess:
#1 NY Knicks get John Wall
Giving Lebron incentive to go to New York

or (more feasible for Stern)
#1 and John Wall goes to New Jersey
Lebron now has incentive to join up with JayZ in brooklyn.

vnzla81
01-22-2010, 12:13 PM
If we're going to start a David Stern draft conspiracy thread, we should starting making our picks for this years draft lottery. That way when one comes true....

My guess:
#1 NY Knicks get John Wall
Giving Lebron incentive to go to New York

or (more feasible for Stern)
#1 and John Wall goes to New Jersey
Lebron now has incentive to join up with JayZ in brooklyn.

the knicks don't have a 1st round pick this year.

Kstat
01-22-2010, 12:19 PM

Sshhh, you'll spoil the conspiracy theory!

Kstat
01-22-2010, 12:20 PM
BTW, I feel David Stern owes me a hot dog and some fries.

IndySDExport
01-22-2010, 12:26 PM

Quick, for the love of God, someone trade the Knicks a 1st round pick for Nate Robinson and Jared Jeffries!

Unclebuck
01-22-2010, 12:27 PM
If they have nothing to hide why don't they show the balls coming out of the hopper? They just have a guy tell you what order they came out in.

Media has been allowed back in the room for the past several years.

"The guy" as you discribe him is told what the results of the lottery are by some accounting firm, so no one with the NBA knows until the envelopes are open.

I can't believe anyone truly in all seriousness believes that the lottery is in any way not on the up and up. I know some people like to joke about it and have a little fun making fun of the lottery but as far as really believing it is in anyway crooked, I don't understand that type of thinking. It is just foreign to me

odeez
01-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Stern doesn't owe us, though in looking back on the event that changed everything he was a bit harsh punishment, but like the song, that's the breaks.

We just haven't sucked enough to get a high pick. We like to be just good enough to get a pick in the teens. Which has been somewhat good to us. Granger, Hibbert, Rush, and Hans not so bad. This year could be our year to get a top 5, but who knows, not something you want to goal towards, though some might disagree.

SkipperZ
01-22-2010, 01:20 PM
let's not fight this. we shoudl all just agree with OP, yell loud enough, and maybe David Stern will heed the call and give us John Wall for no reason whatsoever

i would not complain

btowncolt
01-22-2010, 01:25 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/blueshoes12/ibtl.gif

Hicks
01-22-2010, 01:40 PM
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k26/blueshoes12/ibtl.gif

I love that

Dr. Awesome
01-22-2010, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't say Stern was too harsh on us after the brawl. The guys were beating up fans, of course they should have been suspended. It sucked, but we brought it on ourselves.

The two things that pissed me off were that the Pistons didn't get touched by the whole thing and also the fact that the refs screwed us every single game for 3 years after the brawl. Now, the refs are back to being fair again, but those 3 years were a disgrace.

travmil
01-22-2010, 01:51 PM

"The guy" as you discribe him is told what the results of the lottery are by some accounting firm, so no one with the NBA knows until the envelopes are open.

I can't believe anyone truly in all seriousness believes that the lottery is in any way not on the up and up. I know some people like to joke about it and have a little fun making fun of the lottery but as far as really believing it is in anyway crooked, I don't understand that type of thinking. It is just foreign to me

I understand that, and I don't really think there is a conspiracy. However, these conspiracy theories would go away if they would just do it the way the regular lottery does it and actually show the drawing on live TV. You can say that an accounting firm oversees it all you want to but until they actually prove it there will always be ammunition for someone to say it's not above board.

IUfan4life
01-22-2010, 01:58 PM
I believe the reverse--the Pacers will never win the lottery as long as Stern runs the show--and yes, it is a conspiracy. Stern is as crooked as Vince McMahon.

I agree

and I can't believe this thread isn't locked already

Dr. Awesome
01-22-2010, 01:59 PM

I said in another thread yesterday that I don't think it is, but at the same time, I'm not naive enough to think Stern doesn't favor certain teams in certain situations. He is very crooked, even if the people who run the lottery aren't.

Trophy
01-22-2010, 02:03 PM
Why us? There's 29 other teams who wouldn't mind getting the #1 pick handed to them, good or bad.

Tom White
01-22-2010, 02:09 PM
"The guy" as you discribe him is told what the results of the lottery are by some accounting firm

Just as long as it is not Tim Geitner or someone from Goldman-Sachs.

Back to our conspiracy. Let's see, according to the UK website, John Wall is from Raleigh, NC.

I hereby predict that the Charlotte Bobcats will win the lottery.

Hey it worked for Cleveland/Lebron and Chicago/Rose.

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-22-2010, 02:14 PM
I've read some really stupid things on PD before, but this might take the cake.

Putnam
01-22-2010, 02:18 PM
we shoudl all just agree with OP, yell loud enough, and maybe David Stern will heed the call and give us John Wall for no reason whatsoever

"Is there anyone who
Ever remembers changing their mind from
The paint on a sign?
Is there anyone who really recalls
Ever breaking rank at all
For something someone yelled real loud one time?

We're never gonna win the draft
We're never gonna stop the losing
We're never gonna beat this
If draft night fantasies are what we're fighting for."

jhondog28
01-22-2010, 02:18 PM
I've read some really stupid things on PD before, but this might take the cake.

Dont Poo Poo the thread. He is a rookie and every rookie deserves a fair shake

vapacersfan
01-22-2010, 02:21 PM
I think the VA lottery owes me for never letting me win before and I should win the jackpot tonight.

Putnam
01-22-2010, 02:22 PM
Dont Poo Poo the thread. He is a rookie and every rookie deserves a fair shake

But your OP says the opposite.

A "fair shake" would be letting the ping pong balls decide. You are saying that the Commissioner should thwart the lottery process and give the rookie to a team of his choosing.

jhondog28
01-22-2010, 02:33 PM
But your OP says the opposite.

A "fair shake" would be letting the ping pong balls decide. You are saying that the Commissioner should thwart the lottery process and give the rookie to a team of his choosing.

Rookie meaning that the OP is a newbie.

DocHolliday
01-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Why does Stern have a hidden agenda against the Pacers, but allows other small market teams like the Bucks to get a #1 Pick?

I'll play along. The Pacers were at the scene of the biggest black eye the NBA has ever been given. A small market team that plays by the rules, like Milwaukee, can get the #1 pick. Hell, the Spurs are a small market team. I don't think everything is done to slight the Pacers, but if a situation arises and it can be swayed away from the Pacers without much effort (or chance of arising suspicion of something fishy) Stern and his cronies wouldn't be above seizing the opportunity.

Of course it's not something as blatant as having EVERY foul go against the Pacers or putting them dead last in the lottery EVERY year.

Drewtone
01-22-2010, 05:12 PM
I agree

and I can't believe this thread isn't locked already

Why? Just because the guy who says the Pacers can't draft or build through the draft is trying to build a conspiracy to support us getting the first overall pick so that we might 'build through the draft'?

:skeptical: :tmyk:

MLB007
01-22-2010, 08:34 PM
I was just in Ft. Lauderdale and saw David Sterns place along millionaires row on the intercoastal waterway. He had one huge yacht that he'd just sold (for 5-10 mil if memory serves) not yet picked up, and his new, larger 15 million dollar yacht next to it parked in front of his mansion. :p

Kstat
01-22-2010, 08:42 PM
If I was making 8 figures, a big-*** yacht would probably be near the top of my wish list...

Brad8888
01-23-2010, 02:01 PM
If I was making 8 figures, a big-*** yacht would probably be near the top of my wish list...

I wish Stern would live on his yacht, and winter just north of Whitefish Point along the lake Superior shoreline (a beautiful area at this time of year), making sure to fully experience the pleasures of a maritime existence while fully exploring what it must have been like to be on board the Edmund Fitzgerald, but with an escape plan in place ahead of time that allows him to scramble onto the icy shoreline at the bottom of the cliff face while waiting on rescuers to rappel down to him and hoist him to safety.

In other words, he doesn't deserve his yacht, IMO.

Kstat
01-23-2010, 02:02 PM
Yeah, being one of the most successful sport commissioners of all time shouldn't mean anything. How dare he make good money...

Brad8888
01-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah, being one of the most successful sport commissioners of all time shouldn't mean anything. How dare he make good money...

Good money is one thing. With his weasel-like ways and double speaking that would make any political candidate blush and envy him, why should he make money at a rate higher than many of the players and coaches in that league make?

Kstat
01-23-2010, 02:15 PM
why should he make money at a rate higher than many of the players and coaches in that league make?

Seriously? You're asking why the CEO of a multi-billion dollar business should make more than the people who work under him?

He runs the league. That's why he makes 10 million a year. I think that's pretty important.

Brad8888
01-23-2010, 02:23 PM
Seriously? You're asking why the CEO of a multi-billion dollar business should make more than the people who work under him?

He runs the league. That's why he makes 10 million a year. I think that's pretty important.

Touche'. He gets what the market will bear.

I just despise him, and not just for his idiotic handling of the after effects of the brawl which ultimately led to the near destruction of our franchise. His arrogance is offensive on so many levels that I cannot begin to adequately describe it.

Kstat
01-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Yeah, he's pretty arrogant. You kinda have to be to do that job effectively.

pacergod2
01-23-2010, 05:49 PM

I want Latrell Spreewell's old yacht that he had foreclosed upon a few years back. It would be novelty. I think the yacht had spinners. Imagine all the coke he snorted off of hookers' a$$es while he owned that thing. Good times. Good thing he turned down that last big contract.

vapacersfan
01-23-2010, 07:24 PM
I disagree you have to be arrogant to be successful, but I will never complain about a CEO making more then his employees.

That would be as much of a disaster as athletes making more then their respective coaches.....oh wait ;)

As for him having a yacht, can I go out on it :)

MLB007
01-23-2010, 07:37 PM
[QUOTE=Kstat;949299]If I was making 8 figures, a big-*** yacht would probably be near the top of my wish list...[/QUOTE

There are LOTS of them there. All the time as it's the biggest marina/boatyard on the east coast, but with the Super Bowl coming in a couple of weeks, they were coming in all directions all week long. Talking hundreds of them! One of the nicest ones we saw was for sale............55 million dollars. :eek:
They have $100,000 boats as dinghy's.
Come up the nicest areas with a measly little 1 or 2 million dollar boat and they looked like a Yugo among Caddies.
Surreal................

Jonathan
01-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Players and Pimps:

A lot of people feel Stern did this organization a lot of injustice in the brawl. I agree. What did he do to Antonio Davis when he was playing for the Knicks and ran in the stands? Yes AD thought a fan was messing with his wife but the dude never threw a beer @ or on her. That is battery in Indiana. He set a precedent (players are not allowed in the stands) he did not follow his precedent when a big market team broke the rule. Stern owes us an apology. Just a simple admission he handled the situation the wrong. Not the first pick in the draft. I will gladly take the first pick over the admission.

Just Maybe he did not penalize AD because of the infamous 4 point play by LJ.

Pacerized
01-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Players and Pimps:

A lot of people feel Stern did this organization a lot of injustice in the brawl. I agree. What did he do to Antonio Davis when he was playing for the Knicks and ran in the stands? Yes AD thought a fan was messing with his wife but the dude never threw a beer @ or on her. That is battery in Indiana. He set a precedent (players are not allowed in the stands) he did not follow his precedent when a big market team broke the rule. Stern owes us an apology. Just a simple admission he handled the situation the wrong. Not the first pick in the draft. I will gladly take the first pick over the admission.

Just Maybe he did not penalize AD because of the infamous 4 point play by LJ.

I don't know how many fans feel that way but I agree as well. Justice was not served in the fact that the Pistons organization wasn't held at all accountable for the actions of Wallace, or their fans. Stern also did a terrible injustice to Reggie in his final year.
I'll always be a fan but I'll always hate David Stern.
If nothing else the Pacers are due a little Karma.

DrBadd01
01-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Sshhh, you'll spoil the conspiracy theory!

LOL!!!!!! The last thing the NBA wants is Wall going to the Jazz.

DrBadd01
01-23-2010, 10:07 PM
I want Latrell Spreewell's old yacht that he had foreclosed upon a few years back. It would be novelty. I think the yacht had spinners. Imagine all the coke he snorted off of hookers' a$$es while he owned that thing. Good times. Good thing he turned down that last big contract.

Maybe then he would be able to feed his family. . . .

special ed
01-24-2010, 12:59 PM
In reading through this thread, I am SHOCKED, no double shocked (value!) that noone has pointed out the obvious: Do we really want the first pick in the draft? Consider the Greg Oden and Blake Griffin picks.
Then again, just to feed the Stern thing, I believe it would be sheer irony should the Pacers get that pick and face the same troubles as the Oden and Griffin picks!

BornReady
01-24-2010, 02:48 PM
In reading through this thread, I am SHOCKED, no double shocked (value!) that noone has pointed out the obvious: Do we really want the first pick in the draft? Consider the Greg Oden and Blake Griffin picks.
Then again, just to feed the Stern thing, I believe it would be sheer irony should the Pacers get that pick and face the same troubles as the Oden and Griffin picks!

uhh yes we do
we want john wall

DocHolliday
01-25-2010, 01:34 PM
uhh yes we do
we want john wall

Just like everyone wanted the saviors Oden and Griffin.

PacerPride33
01-25-2010, 02:00 PM
John Wall will lead the Pacers back to glory!!

BornReady
01-25-2010, 02:06 PM
Just like everyone wanted the saviors Oden and Griffin.

yes, just like that
lol i cant believe you guys are counting john wall out simply because OTHER players that happened to be drafted at that position and have absolutely NO relation to wall got injured

that is the most ridiculous thing ive EVER heard

its like saying i dont want whoever is on the front cover of madden because although they are very talented and one of if not the best, they will get injured

zzzz fools

Peter_sixtyftsixin
01-25-2010, 02:34 PM
I think Gary Bettman owes Indianapolis a hockey team.

Midcoasted
01-25-2010, 03:06 PM
The ony thing I ever hoped for was an exception or two to some of these bad contracts we were basically forced into. The league gave it to us real bad. Lots of teams were in on it. I was hoping for the league to help us out with Tinsley because he forced us there and no help ever came. I will admit, even that was just a pipe dream.

Troy Murphy and Mike Dunleavy basically have the worse contracts in the league though and I often question if it isn't the managements fault for trying to attain to much value for Artest and Jackson and failing miserably. They may have tried to get too much value out of them essentially giving us two immovable, over paid players. Murphy and Dunleavy are really worth about 40 percent of their current value IMO. Murphy would be best suited riding the pine until the late 3rd/ late 4th like me and others have suggested here. Dunleavy is also a very solid 6th/7th man on a contender. These guys are being paid Danny Grager money. Murphy is all stats. His defense is consistently terrible even if he gets a few blocks and or steals. He is a better situational guy defensively. Not a guy you can depend on 30 plays in a row stopping any PF in this league.

I think the JO trade was solid because it netted us Hibbert and McRoberts. Im really close to hopping on the McRoberts bandwagon. Only because it would net us more defense and Offensive rebounding/hustle plays. McRoberts should be getting 15-20 early in the game and Murphy 15-20 late in the game. That idea may actually fix this team instead of praying for John Wall. Our main problem is our interior defense, simple and plain. And our heave and hope game or whatever its called these days. If we play through Hibbert we are just fine IMO. If we could only learn to use the threes when we have to. We should start out every game driving to the bucket, then start dishing out for threes once Defenses start collapsing. Our coaching is just simply an F IMO.