PDA

View Full Version : Rudy Gay is on the trading block

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 08:39 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20100121/BLOG16/100121058/Might-the-Pistons-swap-Prince-for-Memphis-Rudy-Gay

ESPN.com's Chad Ford floated an interesting trade possibility today (warning: it's a subscription-only link). He thinks the Pistons might be a good fit for Rudy Gay, who is on Memphis' trading block.

Citing unnamed NBA general managers who have spoken to the Grizzlies, Ford says Memphis is concerned about losing Gay as a restricted free agent this summer and also thinks it's one defensive presence away from being a playoff team.

He goes on to say that the Pistons have been looking to move small forward Tayshaun Prince, who seemingly would provide what Memphis is looking for, but Detroit might have to throw in a first-round draft pick to make the trade more enticing.
For what it's worth, Gay is a high-flying 23-year-old who has become a borderline star averaging 20.3 points and 6.1 rebounds per game this year. He would be another young piece around which the Pistons can build, but as a wing, he doesn't provide what they really need: a post player.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 08:43 PM
I would trade anybody but Danny for him, can you guys imagine a duo of Danny and Rudy Gay in the same team?.............:eek:

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 08:45 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20100121/BLOG16/100121058/Might-the-Pistons-swap-Prince-for-Memphis-Rudy-Gay

ESPN.com's Chad Ford floated an interesting trade possibility today (warning: it's a subscription-only link). He thinks the Pistons might be a good fit for Rudy Gay, who is on Memphis' trading block.

Citing unnamed NBA general managers who have spoken to the Grizzlies, Ford says Memphis is concerned about losing Gay as a restricted free agent this summer and also thinks it's one defensive presence away from being a playoff team.

He goes on to say that the Pistons have been looking to move small forward Tayshaun Prince, who seemingly would provide what Memphis is looking for, but Detroit might have to throw in a first-round draft pick to make the trade more enticing.
For what it's worth, Gay is a high-flying 23-year-old who has become a borderline star averaging 20.3 points and 6.1 rebounds per game this year. He would be another young piece around which the Pistons can build, but as a wing, he doesn't provide what they really need: a post player.

We could always use another wing. Hopefully he can shoot threes if we end up with him. Defense is not a concern, so he would fit right in here. Lets DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kstat
01-21-2010, 08:47 PM
Joe Dumars must have been taking Jedi mind trick classes over the summer. I can't see this happening.

I want to see it happen just so I can experience the joy of watching Bill Simmons's head explode.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 08:50 PM
Joe Dumars must have been taking Jedi mind trick classes over the summer. I can't see this happening.

I want to see it happen just so I can experience the joy of watching Bill Simmons's head explode.

yeah Im not sure if this could happen, at the same time he is a free agent and Detroit may lose him for nothing I think.

Kstat
01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
He's restricted. The only way they would lose him is if they don't want to pay him, and that obviously would not be the case if they traded for him.

If Memphis was willing to pay him, this trade would not even be a thought.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 08:53 PM
He's restricted. The only way they would lose him is if they don't want to pay him, and that obviously would not be the case if they traded for him.

If Memphis was willing to pay him, this trade would not even be a thought.

yes I know, he was asking 10mil a year and the Grizz decided not to resign him.

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 08:54 PM

Please, please, please don't take Rudy Gay away from us! He might be our only hope...you will see that tomorrow, I promise. We will make the Pistons look like a juggernaut that is simply lying in wait to destroy the league during the second half of the season.

BRushWithDeath
01-21-2010, 08:54 PM
Rudy Gay is better than Danny Granger.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Rudy Gay is better than Danny Granger.

I don't think he is that good yet, he is better in getting inside, when Danny is a better shooter, in other words, they could be perfect together...:pray:

Kstat
01-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Indiana has no need for Rudy Gay. You can't pair two alpha scorers who play the same position like Granger and Gay together. I don't see why they would even be interested.

Kstat
01-21-2010, 08:59 PM
And for the record, I would take Granger over any wing in the NBA not named LeBron, Carmelo, or Durant.

I think Rudy is a 2nd-tier SF like Granger, but I think Granger is the top of that class.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 09:01 PM
Indiana has no need for Rudy Gay. You can't pair two alpha scorers who play the same position like Granger and Gay together. I don't see why they would even be interested.

I think they could, because they are not that similar, when Rudy likes to score inside, Danny is the oposite and is not that good in scoring trough traffic

Kstat
01-21-2010, 09:10 PM
Yeah. but you can't play them at the same time. It's like pairing Jason kidd and Devin harris together because they have opposite games. You'd still have to play one of them out of position.

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 09:13 PM

With O'B as our coach, we have little to no ball movement anyway. Many times after the first 10 seconds the player with the ball just shoots. We can handle having two guys who want the ball in their hands (we have more than that now, anyway, and would likely have to trade away one of them to get Gay). It is exactly what O'B wants for his system, too, more guys to score the ball and less predictability, and more scoring of the ball (yes, I added that a second time to represent how important scoring is to O'B). If you are right, Gay could be the Robin to Danny's Batman. Otherwise, it could be vice versa.

Wow, O'B might even be willing to let Murphy go to the Cavs (or elsewhere) if we could somehow trade other pieces for Gay.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Yeah. but you can't play them at the same time. It's like pairing Jason kidd and Devin harris together because they have opposite games. You'd still have to play one of them out of position.

remember that we have a coach who loves to play "small ball" he would play either Danny or Gay at PF

Kstat
01-21-2010, 09:14 PM
yeah, that would be a terrible mistake. Granger is getting taxed as it is. Using him at PF is a good way of increasing the physical punishment he gets ona daily basis.

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 09:16 PM

O'B of the "small ball" mentality could not care less, and would probably encourage this very thing due to the fact that they are both wings and yet have complementary games (in his view that would balance the floor, whether it actually does or not).

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 09:17 PM
yeah, that would be a terrible mistake. Granger is getting taxed as it is. Using him at PF is a good way of increasing the physical punishment he gets ona daily basis.

I would put Gay at pf, he is bigger and can finish around the rim

cdash
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
I know we need talent, but can we focus our efforts on finding guys that don't play the same position as our star?

travmil
01-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Man I really hope that the Pacers don't get in on this, if for no other reason than to prevent the inevitable collapse of every thread into a pile of Gay/Head lineup jokes.

cdash
01-21-2010, 09:19 PM
I would put Gay at pf, he is bigger and can finish around the rim

Gay is NOT a post player, and I have yet to see any post moves from him. From what I've seen, the only points he scores in the paint are off drives.

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 09:19 PM

There have been numerous complaints about that very thing from various posters here, yet O'B continues to do it anyway. I feel that it is another example of shortsightedness that will cause him to lose years off the back end of his career.

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Man I really hope that the Pacers don't get in on this, if for no other reason than to prevent the inevitable collapse of every thread into a pile of Gay/Head lineup jokes.

Yeah, you're right.

BTW, I should have been using green throughout a lot of this thread. I don't really think he would be a good fit here under any coach that I would want to coach here due to the points brought up by KStat.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Gay is NOT a post player, and I have yet to see any post moves from him. From what I've seen, the only points he scores in the paint are off drives.

Im not saying that he is a post player, Im just saying that he is a better finisher around the rim, either trough off drives like you said, or lay ups, things that Danny has issues with

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Yeah, you're right.

BTW, I should have been using green throughout a lot of this thread. I don't really think he would be a good fit here under any coach that I would want to coach here due to the points brought up by KStat.

With a crappy team like this, the last thing you worry about is that the two players play the same position, we need every position.

cdash
01-21-2010, 09:26 PM
Im not saying that he is a post player, Im just saying that he is a better finisher around the rim, either trough off drives like you said, or lay ups, things that Danny has issues with

Yeah, but that doesn't really make him equipped to play power forward.

For what it's worth, I don't think Rudy Gay is on the trading block, and I'd be fairly shocked to see him actually get dealt. Seems like trade deadline nonsense to me.

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 09:29 PM

For what it's worth, I don't think Rudy Gay is on the trading block, and I'd be fairly shocked to see him actually get dealt. Seems like trade deadline nonsense to me.

This is from the esteemed Chad Ford of the Murphy to the Cavs rumors, right? How can it not be true? ;)

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 09:30 PM

it is possible, remember the time this team(the grizz) traded Paul Gasol for K Brown and pick, it could happen.

AlexAustin
01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
No way Memphis deals Rudy Gay while in playoff hunt he is their most clutch player, and they have one of the best starting 5's in the NBA but have next to no bench at all, Every one of trade talks I have heard with Memphis has them dealing one of their 3 first round picks next year for expiring contracts and not moving any bodies.

http://www.nba.com/statistics/plusminus/plusminus_sort.jsp?pcomb=5&season=22009&split=9&team=

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 09:31 PM
This is from the esteemed Chad Ford of the Murphy to the Cavs rumors, right? How can it not be true? ;)

Chad Ford is not the only one talking about this, I asked some other guy on ESPN yesterday and he answered the same thing.

cdash
01-21-2010, 09:34 PM
it is possible, remember the time this team(the grizz) traded Paul Gasol for K Brown and pick, it could happen.

Yeah, you left out that they also got Marc Gasol in that deal, and he is pretty damn good.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, I just don't think it will happen. I'd wager that the Grizzlies will make a move to shore up their bench. The Ronnie Brewer rumors make much more sense to me.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 09:36 PM
Yeah, you left out that they also got Marc Gasol in that deal, and he is pretty damn good.

I'm not saying that it isn't possible, I just don't think it will happen. I'd wager that the Grizzlies will make a move to shore up their bench. The Ronnie Brewer rumors make much more sense to me.

I know they got the other Gasol, he was more like a trow in, is kind of like the pacers sending the rights of Stanko or whatever his name is and this guy becomes a good player, they did not know what kind of player he was going to be in the NBA.

AlexAustin
01-21-2010, 09:48 PM
I know they got the other Gasol, he was more like a trow in, is kind of like the pacers sending the rights of Stanko or whatever his name is and this guy becomes a good player, they did not know what kind of player he was going to be in the NBA.

No he's who Memphis wanted in the deal, he played HS ball in Memphis and was a Tennessee Mr Basketball, was his EURO leagues MVP, and contributor in ESP international team.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 09:59 PM
No he's who Memphis wanted in the deal, he played HS ball in Memphis and was a Tennessee Mr Basketball, was his EURO leagues MVP, and contributor in ESP international team.

Sarunas was a big name in europe too, that does not mean anything until they play against NBA players.

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Sarunas was a big name in europe too, that does not mean anything until they play against NBA players.

Um, he is Pau's brother. Pau's play had already translated pretty well. No, Marc is not nearly at Pau's level, but doing a comparison made that decision pretty cut and dried IMO.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Um, he is Pau's brother. Pau's play had already translated pretty well. No, Marc is not nearly at Pau's level, but doing a comparison made that decision pretty cut and dried IMO.

just because they are bothers does not mean that they are similar, just look at Blake Griffin and his brother, not everybody can play in the NBA, in this case Im sure that the Grizz scouts knew him and decided to pull the trigger and also J West wanted to give a gift to his Lakers before moving on ;)

Dr. Awesome
01-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Joe Dumars must have been taking Jedi mind trick classes over the summer.

Clearly The Force has let him down by allowing him to sign Charlie V and Ben Gordon to those deals. Maybe he should consider The Dark Side?

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 10:20 PM
just because they are bothers does not mean that they are similar, just look at Blake Griffin and his brother, not everybody can play in the NBA, in this case Im sure that the Grizz scouts knew him and decided to pull the trigger and also J West wanted to give a gift to his Lakers before moving on ;)

No green required there.

No, the comparison only showed that Marc could play somewhat as well as Pau, which made him a significantly better risk coming from Europe than a lot of other young prospects might have been at the time. I would not be surprised if Pau wasn't seriously consulted by West about his brother before pulling the trigger on that trade, and he likely trusted Pau's judgement as much as anything.

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Clearly The Force has let him down by allowing him to sign Charlie V and Ben Gordon to those deals. Maybe he should consider The Dark Side?

Oh, come on. Dumars could never have ended up with Rasheed Wallace virtually for free had he not already been a long standing member of the Dark Side.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 10:27 PM

we are all in the dark side now, the pacers, nets, pistons, etc etc.:-p

Kstat
01-21-2010, 10:28 PM

I saw nothing wrong with either deal at the time and I still don't. We'd be so much worse off right now without Charlie V. I'm not going to blame Duamrs for V and GOrdon being hurt.

d_c
01-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Oh, come on. Dumars could never have ended up with Rasheed Wallace virtually for free had he not already been a long standing member of the Dark Side.

Dumars gave up the pick that he got from Milwaukee in the Rodney White trade. He traded that to Atlanta for Rasheed.

That pick ended up getting Atlanta Josh Smith, so it wasn't nearly as lopsided as people make it. Obviously a great trade for the Hawks, but even better for the Pistons since it won them a championship (and very nearly another one the next year).

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 10:31 PM
we are all in the dark side now, the pacers, nets, pistons, etc etc.:-p

Someone from the distant past here used to say there are cookies here on the Dark Side. I've been here a while now, and I STILL can't find them, despite my bestest efforts.

Do you know where they might be?

AlexAustin
01-21-2010, 10:31 PM
He played 2 years in Memphis in HS and was around the team all the time, he was on Pau's teams in international ball, and played 5 years in the ACB league and finished as the Most Valuable Player, its not like its some random guy off the streets they knew more about what Marc than any team in the league and not to mention he was already considered to be one of the better players in Europe.

Kemo
01-21-2010, 10:34 PM
LOL oh the innuendo of having a Gay ,Head, Rush at the wings .. lmfao

ThA HoyA
01-21-2010, 10:37 PM

Now I haven't seen him play enoughbut he possibly fill a PF role like Josh smith does on the hawks?? Or is his defense not good at all?? Just wondering what type of player he is.... Because there are mutliple guys that play the PF position that shouldn't be for what that position used to mean

Kstat
01-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Josh Smith is an elite rebounder and shot-blocker. He can defend his position better than most guys 4-5 inches taller.

Gay is neither a shot blocker nor an elite rebounder.

cdash
01-21-2010, 10:43 PM
Now I haven't seen him play enoughbut he possibly fill a PF role like Josh smith does on the hawks?? Or is his defense not good at all?? Just wondering what type of player he is.... Because there are mutliple guys that play the PF position that shouldn't be for what that position used to mean

Gay employs a very blasť attitude on defense. He's not even close to the defender that Josh Smith is.

Kstat
01-21-2010, 10:46 PM
His defense is very lacking, but people said the same thing about Pau when he was there too. THings changed the second he switched teams.

cdash
01-21-2010, 10:56 PM
His defense is very lacking, but people said the same thing about Pau when he was there too. THings changed the second he switched teams.

Yeah, it's amazing how an A+ coach and an A+ player can motivate someone to start giving a crap.

pacergod2
01-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Sign and trade in the off-season, sending Troy Murphy to Memphis with Brandon Rush and 2011 first round pick (three years of tiered protection - as late as 2013).

I am still really high on BRush, but I think if you can get a guy like Rudy Gay, you make the move. He gives us another scorer and a guy that is a very capable defender. We would have a ton of length and scoring on the wings, and I don't think it would hurt us to play them both at the same time at SG/SF. IMO.

Trader Joe
01-22-2010, 01:46 AM
I love how any time player X becomes available everyone thinks the Pacers should be interested in him...

sweabs
01-22-2010, 01:51 AM
I'd rather have Prince than Gay.

colorfulflowers
01-22-2010, 03:50 AM
Sign and trade in the off-season, sending Troy Murphy to Memphis with Brandon Rush and 2011 first round pick (three years of tiered protection - as late as 2013). NFL Shop (http://www.topnflnews.com/)coach purses (http://www.coachpursescheap.com/)

If Memphis can't keep Rudy Gay then this deal make a little bit more sense.

Anthem
01-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Indiana has no need for Rudy Gay. You can't pair two alpha scorers who play the same position like Granger and Dunleavy together. I don't see why they would even be interested.
Fixed.

wintermute
01-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Dumars gave up the pick that he got from Milwaukee in the Rodney White trade. He traded that to Atlanta for Rasheed.

That pick ended up getting Atlanta Josh Smith, so it wasn't nearly as lopsided as people make it. Obviously a great trade for the Hawks, but even better for the Pistons since it won them a championship (and very nearly another one the next year).

iirc, josh smith was drafted #19 or so. surely you're not suggesting that josh smith level talent is available every year in the middle of the first round.

it was a great *draft* by the hawks, to make up for a rather lousy trade. i agree that it was a great *trade* by the pistons. any time you turn a mid-first pick and expiring contracts into a difference maker, it's a great trade.

I love how any time player X becomes available everyone thinks the Pacers should be interested in him...

interested? sure. have a remote chance of acquiring? not so much.

pacergod2
01-22-2010, 11:12 AM

You act like we have something better to do.

90'sNBARocked
01-22-2010, 12:06 PM
With O'B as our coach, we have little to no ball movement anyway. Many times after the first 10 seconds the player with the ball just shoots. We can handle having two guys who want the ball in their hands (we have more than that now, anyway, and would likely have to trade away one of them to get Gay). It is exactly what O'B wants for his system, too, more guys to score the ball and less predictability, and more scoring of the ball (yes, I added that a second time to represent how important scoring is to O'B). If you are right, Gay could be the Robin to Danny's Batman. Otherwise, it could be vice versa.

Wow, O'B might even be willing to let Murphy go to the Cavs (or elsewhere) if we could somehow trade other pieces for Gay.

I hope to God , we are not looking at players that "fit Obie's system"

please God :angel::angel::angel:

Pacersfan46
01-22-2010, 03:44 PM
I hope to God , we are not looking at players that "fit Obie's system"

please God :angel::angel::angel:

Pretty much. We need guys that fit the NBA game, first. :)

-- Steve --

Gamble1
01-22-2010, 04:02 PM
Fixed.
I thought the exact same thing..... Can we just say that the Pacers need _______ and leave it at that.

Doddage
01-22-2010, 09:05 PM
No thanks to Gay, there's no need for him on the Pacers. Even if we needed him, I'm not as high on him as most other people, seeing as he leaves a lot to be desired on defense despite his offensive skill. If I were Memphis, I'd look into flipping him for a player in the territory of a Trevor Ariza or Gerald Wallace.

AlexAustin
01-23-2010, 03:23 AM
No way they deal Rudy Gay he is too big for their hopes of making the playoffs, He hit the GW shot tonight with 1.3 sec left to beat the Thunder and extend their home game win streak to 10 games, and scored their last 7 points including the GT 3 with 6.7 left before losing to NO with a last sec shot the game before.