PDA

View Full Version : Murphy staying put?

Trophy
01-21-2010, 04:14 PM
http://http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

It's long been rumored the Cavs would like the services of Troy Murphy if Antawn Jamison isn't acquirable from the Wizards.

He's a similar piece to Jamison in that he's a stretch 4, a player that can bang on the boards, but can also spread the floor and knock down treys.

But what's in it for the Pacers? The Cavs would likely ship them Zydrunas Ilgauskas' expiring contract, but it won't be enough for them to have enough cap space to make any significant moves this offseason.

And it's for this reason that ESPN's John Hollinger thinks they should perhaps make some other moves.

John Hollinger
Pacers would be better served trading Ford, Foster

"A lot of Murphy talk out there, but I wonder how the Pacers get better from a trade like that. Even if they deal him for expiring contracts they won't have any cap space next year, so what's the point? The better move would be to trade T.J. Ford, since they apparently have no intention of playing him again, and getting something for Jeff Foster while they still can."

90'sNBARocked
01-21-2010, 04:21 PM
http://http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Its already posted in the "More trade talk thread"

count55
01-21-2010, 04:23 PM
This isn't actually a rumor. This is just a re-hash of Hollinger saying that he doesn't think trading Murphy for just an expiring makes sense.

It does expound on the chat a little, and correct the typo ("no" intention), but it doesn't shed light one way or the other on whether Murph will actually be traded.

(And, it appears they changed the title to "Murphy better staying put?")

Hicks
01-21-2010, 04:25 PM
I guess Hollinger doesn't realize what it would do for our luxury tax situation in 2011 and that to Herb Simon, that's significant. To say nothing of how much Murphy hurts along with how much he helps.

Roaming Gnome
01-21-2010, 04:41 PM
Its already posted in the "More trade talk thread"

"More Trade talk" is very vague for a thread title when the trade talk involves a Pacer. I think he's doing just fine to start this thread.

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 04:50 PM
I think that he is staying put because he will be the center for the rest of the year.:uhoh::scream::suicide4:

McKeyFan
01-21-2010, 05:07 PM
As center, Murph allowed Dwight Howard to score his season high last night. Good thing we had Troy playing D instead of Roy.

I mean, Roy is inconsistent on offense, (except for that game the other night against Orlando) and is terrible on defense (except the other night against Dwight Howard). Roy just has no track record to trust playing him against someone like Howard, so it was important to play the veteran Troy Murphy, who held him to only 32.

btowncolt
01-21-2010, 05:11 PM
As center, Murph allowed Dwight Howard to score his season high last night. Good thing we had Troy playing D instead of Roy.

I mean, Roy is inconsistent on offense, (except for that game the other night against Orlando) and is terrible on defense (except the other night against Dwight Howard). Roy just has no track record to trust playing him against someone like Howard, so it was important to play the veteran Troy Murphy, who held him to only 32.

Huzzah! Success without green font!

90'sNBARocked
01-21-2010, 05:32 PM
"More Trade talk" is very vague for a thread title when the trade talk involves a Pacer. I think he's doing just fine to start this thread.

Ok?

pwee31
01-21-2010, 05:59 PM
I don't see Murphy going anywhere until over the summer or next year's deadline.

I understand the luxury tax situation, but I think Bird will be asking quite a bit for Murphy production.

Though a lot of us believe the addition by subtraction will lead to a better outcome, his production is something I'm sure Bird is attached to. His double doubles in Golden St. were one of the reasons Bird traded for him in a first place.

Foster is probably our best option, and hopefully he's healthy enough to trade.

Ford would be the option that we would most like to trade, but let's me honest.... his situation is Tinsley all over again when it comes to being untradeable

CableKC
01-21-2010, 06:02 PM
Hicks, anyway that you can merge this thread with the other "More Trade update" thread that is discussing the same exact thing?

spazzxb
01-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Howard was embarrassing Roy last night, it was personal and it looked like Howard could put up 60. Also, we were so far behind from the beginning that our only chance was to get hot from three. Post offense was of no value(under these circumstances) and Roy was just going to foul out anyway. Hibbert should still be our starting center but there was a reason he sat on the bench last night.

I wanted to add that Howard made 12 free throws in a row, so there was a reason for the season high as well.

Infinite MAN_force
01-21-2010, 07:10 PM
I just can't handle watching any more Troy Murphy. I'm already almost to the point where I don't even care to watch the games anymore until he is traded. My interest level will sky rocket at that point. We have had our most success this year when Murphy was out and Obrien was forced to utilize Roy Hibbert more, now we are talking about benching Hibbert so we can start Murphy at center... now we are talking about not trading him... ugh, it just makes me utterly sick to my stomach.

I may just go into hibernation, wake me up sometime around the draft.

ksuttonjr76
01-22-2010, 03:05 PM
Honestly, unless Tyler is 100% healthy, I can sincerely say that Indiana won't trade Murphy. If we trade Murphy, we'll be too thin at the PF spot unless JOB is planning to play Granger FT at the spot, or finally McBob some tick.

Anthem
01-22-2010, 03:09 PM
Honestly, unless Tyler is 100% healthy, I can sincerely say that Indiana won't trade Murphy. If we trade Murphy, we'll be too thin at the PF spot unless JOB is planning to play Granger FT at the spot, or finally McBob some tick.
Both of which I'm fine with and would prefer.

You're probably right, though.

PaceBalls
01-22-2010, 03:48 PM
If he isn't traded it might be time to get out the pitchforks and head down to Conseco.

Peck
01-22-2010, 03:56 PM
Both of which I'm fine with and would prefer.

You're probably right, though.

Word

MagicRat
01-22-2010, 04:03 PM

On his show last night JOB said Tyler is still having a lot of issues with the inner ear and said it could last a couple of months. Can't see straight, gets dizzy, can't focus, etc.

Apparently he's seen 7 different doctors about it at this point.

Hicks
01-22-2010, 04:06 PM
On his show last night JOB said Tyler is still having a lot of issues with the inner ear and said it could last a couple of months. Can't see straight, gets dizzy, can't focus, etc.

Apparently he's seen 7 different doctors about it at this point.

Kevin Lee took that to mean up to two months from when he first got it, which would now mean about 1 month.

I hope his understanding is correct.

Sounds awful for Tyler, too. Jim mentioned Tyler's even having trouble SLEEPING because of this.

This really stinks.

Naptown_Seth
01-22-2010, 04:13 PM
He DOES play Granger at the PF spot, and Dahntay too. He does this when he moves Troy to the C in order to yank Roy out and not rely on the poor offense of Solo.

So trading Troy has zero impact, at least negative and "who do we play now" impact. They managed to field a team when Troy was out with injury earlier.

Hollinger makes no sense. What do they gain? Um, they save $11m is what they gain and that's not chump change. He's looking at it like the Pacers are trying to get into the FA ring next summer when obviously they aren't, so of course it makes no sense to him.

The Pacers don't need Troy and seem very likely to not resign him after next year anyway, so what's the point of keeping him? Hollinger is also assuming that somehow a team is really, really going to want him next year.

While his expiring deal is nice, just look at what Big Z's expiring deal is getting the Cavs this year, the year going into the big FA sweepstakes. Big Z gets you Troy Murphy...maybe. So what do you think Troy gets you next year?

In fact let's just skip ahead. Trade Troy THIS YEAR for a guy of similar salary but with 2 years left instead of 1. Find a team that would like to clear his salary a year early, they might be willing to work with you now just as well as next year.

Who would that guy be, who has 2 years left right now at around 9-11m that a team would give you to get Troy and his 1 year left deal? If you don't love that answer then just trade for Big Z and be done with it.

CableKC
01-22-2010, 06:04 PM
In fact let's just skip ahead. Trade Troy THIS YEAR for a guy of similar salary but with 2 years left instead of 1. Find a team that would like to clear his salary a year early, they might be willing to work with you now just as well as next year.

Who would that guy be, who has 2 years left right now at around 9-11m that a team would give you to get Troy and his 1 year left deal? If you don't love that answer then just trade for Big Z and be done with it.
But he'll be an expiring Contract.....aren't expiring Contracts worth alot? Can't we get some draft picks or some All-Star for a huge Expiring contract like Murphy?

Is there a more sarcastic color that I can use then Green? :rolleyes:

I'm all for getting the most out of a trade for Murphy...but I also suspect that we'd have to set a low enough sale price for the Cavs in order for them to really consider Murphy over Jamison. The Pacers would be better financially and would do much better by "addition through subtraction".

ksuttonjr76
01-22-2010, 11:10 PM
Since Mo Williams is out for 4-6 weeks, a Ford/Murphy trade is starting to look real appetizing to the Cavs now. At this point, we have what Cleveland needs...a stretch PF and a freelance PG.

Dr. Awesome
01-22-2010, 11:13 PM
This thread title scared me...