PDA

View Full Version : .500 finish is very attainable: 2010 Remix. Now with more Vitamin C!

Phree Refill
01-20-2010, 07:38 PM
Hello all. As some of you may remember, last year at this time I started a " .500 finish is very attainable. Schedule analysis inside" thread (http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=44042). Well we have reached the halfway point of this season so its time for round deux!

I'll start by saying through 41 games last year I think it was generally recognized that a .500 finish was not very likely but with the heart the team played with every night you couldn't help but believe just a little bit that they just might of had it in them. As we all know, they fell 5 wins short of that. We were 15-26 through 41 games and finished 21-20 for a 36-46 record.

This year I think its safe to assume most believe we will finish in the low 30s in the win column, especially since we will have one of the hardest schedules the rest of the way out (as you'll see below). We are 14-27 and have been less than impressive thus far. A .500 record would be nothing short of a miracle at this point... but we are due for one. This thread will present a path through witch we can arrive at the elusive .500 mark by the end of the season. And like last year's thread, this is not a "playoff push" thread. This is a look at our remaining schedule that will be regularly updated to show how we have performed.

In additon to all of last years tracked stats, this year I will also include a running number of how we did each game last year so we can see if we have performed better or worse as the season progresses (you'll see what I mean later). Like last year, I have broken the schedule down into groups. Groups based upon the number of games we have left against each team. Lets take a look at these groups now.

First I'll name the teams we will not play the rest of the year. These teams are: Golden State, Minnesota, Memphis, and LA Clippers.

Now for Group A. Teams we play just once more the rest of the way:

San Antonio, New Orleans, Dallas, Portland, Denver, Phoenix, Boston, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Utah, Atlanta, Sacramento, Miami, New York, and New Jersey.

There are a lot of teams in this group this year (15). With the exception of Sacramento and New Jersey, all of these teams are extremely tough. I'm projecting we need a 10-5 record in this group to have a shot at .500.

Group B. Teams we play twice the rest of the season:

Orlando, LA Lakers, Toronto, Houston, and Washington.

This is also a pretty tough group. I think we need a 6-4 record against these teams to have a shot at .500.

Group C. Teams we play three times the rest of the season:

Philadelphia, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Chicago.

This group is slightly easier than the first two but most certainly not a walk in the park either. I think we need a 8-4 record here.

And lastly, unlike last year there is a forth group. Group D. Interestingly, there is one team we have not played yet this season and have 4 remaining games against: Detroit. No knock at all on them but we MUST have a 3-1 record against them to meet the .500 mark.

And so that brings us to a 27-14 finish. Likely? No. Impossible? Almost. But it can happen.

The updates after each game will be much like last year and look very similar to this:

As it stands we are:

0-0 against Group A (10-5)
0-0 against Group B (6-4)
0-0 against Group C (8-4)
0-0 against Group D (3-1)

*Note record in parenthesis is what I projected us to be against that group.

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): San Antonio, New Orleans, Dallas, Portland, Denver, Phoenix, Boston, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Utah, Atlanta, Sacramento, Miami, New York, and New Jersey.

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando, LA Lakers, Toronto, Houston, and Washington

0-0 against Group B (6-4)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Chicago

Group D (teams Pacers face 4 times the rest of the season): Detroit

Last years record at this point: 15-26

---------

Last year I even went as far as to provide my predictions on how we would fair against each team, not just the overall group. I do have predictions for our W/L against each team but I'll save that for another day.

LETS KICK THIS THING OFF!!

Game 42 of the year will be in half an hour against Orlando. Last year we lost game 42 to San Antonio. I am fully expecting a loss so if we do loose it won't be a monumental blow to my predictions. A win gets us off to a great start.

So thats pretty much the jist of it. Check back in periodically to see how we are doing on the schedule at a group level and how we compare to last year.

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 07:47 PM
Got to love your enthusiasm :)

Peck
01-20-2010, 07:50 PM
:50cent:

BRushWithDeath
01-20-2010, 07:52 PM
The .500 finish is slightly less likely than Barack Obama solving the economic crisis, ending world hunger, destroying terrorism, and building a better mouse trap all before the Pacers lose again tonight in San Antonio.

Change San Antonio to Orlando and my reply from last year works again.

tadscout
01-20-2010, 07:53 PM
mmm Kool Aid :p

:ohyeah:

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 07:56 PM
mmm Kool Aid :p

:ohyeah:

lmao,

poor guy we are killing all his enthusiasm :)

tadscout
01-20-2010, 08:02 PM
lmao,

poor guy we are killing all his enthusiasm :)

I love enthusiasm... but it's so hard to have that much with this team for this season...

Now do I think we can turn around and be a .500 team next year? Yea, with another solid off-season... (so I have long term enthusiasm, but short term is running pretty low...)

Phree Refill
01-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Game against Orlando went pretty much as I expected although I did not think we would make the score look as close as it ended up. Regardless, a loss is a loss. Hopefully we can turn things around next game.

As it stands we are:

0-1 against Group B (6-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): San Antonio, New Orleans, Dallas, Portland, Denver, Phoenix, Boston, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Utah, Atlanta, Sacramento, Miami, New York, and New Jersey.

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando (L), LA Lakers, Toronto, Houston, and Washington

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia, Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Chicago

Group D (teams Pacers face 4 times the rest of the season): Detroit

Last years record at this point: 15-27

---------

Jonathan
01-20-2010, 11:21 PM
This thread needs to be clicked on by all media members that cover the Pacers. Good Job. You the man Refill!! Excellent work n In Depth Work

dal9
01-21-2010, 12:36 AM
not to hate, but at this rate I could start a route to 54-28 thread...

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 01:40 AM
I know that Kool Aid tastes good, but it will rot your teeth if you aren't careful. Also, if you add vitamin C, isn't it more like Tang then? Don't get me wrong, Tang was OK back in the 70's, but it just isn't the same now that the astronauts aren't helping to sell it anymore.

Phree Refill
01-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Good start to group D. So long as we win our two home games against Detroit we will meet our Group D goal. I put a little thought towards it and I've decided to wait until the season is over before I share my predictions on how I thought we'd do against each team. Hopefully I'm dead on...

As it stands we are:

1-0 against Group D (3-1)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando (L), LA Lakers, Toronto, Houston, and Washington

Group D (teams Pacers face 4 times the rest of the season): Detroit (W)

Last years record at this point: 16-27

Peck
01-24-2010, 05:17 AM
I think we will have to work harder on group C.

Phree Refill
01-24-2010, 11:24 AM
Like Peck stated, with Group C being so tuff we needed a better start than the loss to Philly. We can still pull through in Group C though. We are two games behind where we were last year now.

As it stands we are:

0-1 against Group C (8-4)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia(L), Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Chicago

0-1 against Group C (8-4)

Last years record at this point: 17-27

Phree Refill
01-26-2010, 08:14 AM
It was nice to see Brandon knock down his open looks last night. If we could continue to get a consistent 10-12 ppg out of him it would greatly increase our chances of reaching the .500 mark.

As it stands we are:

1-1 against Group C (8-4)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia(L,W), Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Chicago

Last years record at this point: 17-28

DaveP63
01-26-2010, 11:36 AM
Slightly under .500 for the good teams. Right at .500 for the average teams. Under .500 for the crappy teams they should kill.

Phree Refill
01-28-2010, 10:21 PM
We played the Lakers tough but ran out of gas in the fourth quarter. The schedule gets no easier with Cleveland on tap tomorrow. Could be a big win if we could find a way to pull one out.

As it stands we are:

0-2 against Group B (6-4)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando (L), LA Lakers (L) Toronto, Houston, and Washington

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia(L,W), Cleveland, Milwaukee, and Chicago

Last years record at this point: 18-28

01-28-2010, 11:01 PM
:50cent:

That is the best reply I have ever seen, hands down. I love the Pacers, they are apart of my DNA, but there is no way we are finishing 500 with Jim O'Brien on the bench.

Phree Refill
01-30-2010, 11:46 AM
Couldn't claw back a win last night but I didn't expect we'd beat Cleveland. For whatever its worth, so far the only game we've lost that I had us winning in my own personal predictions was the game at home against Philly. I allotted for all of these other losses.

As it stands we are:

1-2 against Group C (8-4)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando (L), LA Lakers (L) Toronto, Houston, and Washington

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia(L,W), Cleveland(L), Milwaukee, and Chicago

Last years record at this point: 19-28

Peck
02-01-2010, 01:24 AM
Well, back to the drawing board.

Phree Refill
02-01-2010, 12:53 PM
Yeah we needed that one last night but couldn't pull it out. That was my second miscue so far on my predictions. We REALLY need tomorrow's game.

As it stands we are:

0-3 against Group B (6-4)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando (L), LA Lakers (L) Toronto(L), Houston, and Washington

0-3 against Group B (6-4)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia(L,W), Cleveland(L), Milwaukee, and Chicago

Last years record at this point: 19-29

NuffSaid
02-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Phree Refill,

I love your enthusiasm, man. I really do. But I don't think this team has what it takes to go .500 this year. Sad to say, but they'll miss the post-season for the 4th year in a row mainly because they ran into the injury bug once again just at a point when it looked as if they were finally making strides at turning the corner.

When Danny went down, that was it! Dunleavy still hadn't found his shooting touch, BRush was still trying to find his game, Head twisted his ankle, and both Hansborough and Foster both went down about the same time. When you lose that many players to injury, it's impossible for a team to compete. Folks have to try and remember that.

While I don't like JOB's small-ball lineups, I have to say he's right; small-ball is the best option this team has to win ball games. Unfortunately, it's a frutile effort. We don't have the shooters to keep defenses honest. Without Granger and Dunleavy shooting lights out, the Pacers really can't compete using small-ball. The crazy thing is BRush's game has finally come alive! But Danny and Dunleavy's seem to be in the toilet from the perimeter. I'm pretty sure everyone thought that if those three - Granger, Dunleavy and BRush - could get their perimeter games going in unison and still get complimentary trailor 3's from Murphy, small-ball wouldn't be a problem. But unless your shooters are knocking down shots, you really don't stand a snowballs chance in ****.

So, no. As much as I hate to say it, the Pacers won't make the post-season this year, not while Granger and Dunleavy continue to struggle from the perimeter and we're still w/o Hansborough and Foster providing their hustle play and grobbling up offensive rebounds. Never underestimate the importance of 2nd-change scoring opportunities. The pattern that has emerged since both of these post-players have been out has been "1-and-done". If you miss that perimeter shot and you have no one there to collect the rebound, you may as well start sprinting back down court. Hence, the reason I'd emphasis laying off the perimeter shot. But the other problem has been guys have been missing easy layups. Thus, when it rains it pours for this team. They just can't get a break no matter how hard they try.

I'll still watch and I'll root for them, but .500 for this team is unattainable this year. I believe this so firmly that I started counting loses before Christmas...that's how low my confidence level has gotten with the Pacers this season. And that's normally not me. :(

Phree Refill
02-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Nice win last night. The team looked loose and rolled to a victory. Was it for JOB or was it to spite him? I guess we'll find out by how they perform over the next couple games.

As it stands we are:

1-3 against Group B (6-4)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando (L), LA Lakers (L) Toronto(L,W), Houston, and Washington

Last years record at this point: 19-30

Phree Refill
02-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Last night's win was great. It was one of the most dominant performances of the season. Detroit only had 56 points through 3 quarters. Our defense was excellent and we were hitting on all cylinders on offense. Hopefully we can carry that over to tonights game in Milwaukee. Rush had yet another strong game and I was very impressed with Ford's play after his one month exile.

As it stands we are:

2-0 against Group D (3-1)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando (L), LA Lakers (L) Toronto(L,W), Houston, and Washington

Group D (teams Pacers face 4 times the rest of the season): Detroit (2W)

Last years record at this point: 19-31

Phree Refill
02-08-2010, 08:25 PM
Tough loss in Milwaukee. We couldn't complete the comback in the 4th. Stackhouse really hurt us off their bench. We really need tomorrow night's game against Chicago to help out our Group C record.

As it stands we are:

1-3 against Group C (8-4)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia(L,W), Cleveland(L), Milwaukee(L), and Chicago

1-3 against Group C (8-4)

Last years record at this point: 20-31

Phree Refill
02-17-2010, 09:07 AM
Ready to pick it back up after the all star break. The loss to Chicago before the break makes Group C all but impossible to reach. We must go 7-0 in Group C the rest of the way to achieve the Group C goal. And from an overall stand point, 7 more total losses and this thread becomes even more worthless than it already is :D

As it stands we are:

1-4 against Group C (8-4)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia(L,W), Cleveland(L), Milwaukee(L), and Chicago(L)

Last years record at this point: 20-32

Frostwolf
02-17-2010, 10:07 AM
i remember this from last season. keep up the great work.

Phree Refill
02-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Rough start to group A. I had us winning that one. The final seconds of that game pretty much sum up our season thus far. Just when it looked like we might catch a break, the complete opposite happens.

As it stands we are:

0-1 against Group A (10-5)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): San Antonio(L), New Orleans, Dallas, Portland, Denver, Phoenix, Boston, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Utah, Atlanta, Sacramento, Miami, New York, and New Jersey.

0-1 against Group A (10-5)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia(L,W), Cleveland(L), Milwaukee(L), and Chicago(L)

Last years record at this point: 21-32

Phree Refill
02-20-2010, 10:54 AM
Imagine that. Pacers down 19 at half and rally late but come up short. I bet it would be easier if they would just play for 48 minutes rather than 24...

As it stands we are:

0-2 against Group A (10-5)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): San Antonio(L), New Orleans(L), Dallas, Portland, Denver, Phoenix, Boston, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Utah, Atlanta, Sacramento, Miami, New York, and New Jersey.

0-2 against Group A (10-5)

Last years record at this point: 21-33

Phree Refill
02-24-2010, 08:27 AM
An inspiring win followed by an uninspired loss. 4 more losses to insure .500 won't happen.

As it stands we are:

0-3 against Group A (10-5)
2-3 against Group B (6-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): San Antonio(L), New Orleans(L), Dallas(L), Portland, Denver, Phoenix, Boston, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Utah, Atlanta, Sacramento, Miami, New York, and New Jersey.

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando (L), LA Lakers (L) Toronto(L,W), Houston(W), and Washington

Last years record at this point: 22-34

NuffSaid
02-24-2010, 06:31 PM
Ready to pick it back up after the all star break. The loss to Chicago before the break makes Group C all but impossible to reach. We must go 7-0 in Group C the rest of the way to achieve the Group C goal. And from an overall stand point, 7 more total losses and this thread becomes even more worthless than it already is :D

Just remember, you said it! :laugh:

But I appreciate your dedication all the same.

Phree Refill
02-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Rush had a nice game last night. If we continue to lose I don't mind as much so long as the young guys can show they can be explosive (of course that assumes JOB actually plays the young guys..). Otherwise the losing is not very tolerable. That high draft pick will be nice though.

As it stands we are:

1-5 against Group C (8-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): San Antonio(L), New Orleans(L), Dallas(L), Portland, Denver, Phoenix, Boston, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Utah, Atlanta, Sacramento, Miami, New York, and New Jersey.

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando (L), LA Lakers (L) Toronto(L,W), Houston(W), and Washington

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia(L,W), Cleveland(L), Milwaukee(L), and Chicago(2L)

1-5 against Group C (8-4)

Last years record at this point: 23-34

Phree Refill
03-01-2010, 08:33 AM
I was actually a little upset with the win against Chicago. Almost every team below us in the standings won so we could have picked up a game on them for ping pong balls if we would have lost.

As it stands we are:

2-5 against Group C (8-4)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia(L,W), Cleveland(L), Milwaukee(L), and Chicago(W,2L)

2-5 against Group C (8-4)

Last years record at this point: 24-34

Frostwolf
03-01-2010, 12:27 PM
I was actually a little upset with the win against Chicago. Almost every team below us in the standings won so we could have picked up a game on them for ping pong balls if we would have lost.

haha, kinda counterintuitive for the thread!

but i agree. shamefully.

Phree Refill
03-04-2010, 08:31 AM
20 game win streak! Here it comes!

As it stands we are:

0-4 against Group A (10-5)
2-4 against Group B (6-4)
2-6 against Group C (8-4)

Group A (teams Pacers face 1 time the rest of the season): San Antonio(L), New Orleans(L), Dallas(L), Portland(L), Denver, Phoenix, Boston, Charlotte, Oklahoma City, Utah, Atlanta, Sacramento, Miami, New York, and New Jersey.

0-4 against Group A (10-5)

Group B (teams Pacers face 2 times the rest of the season): Orlando (L), LA Lakers (2L) Toronto(L,W), Houston(W), and Washington

2-4 against Group B (6-4)

Group C (teams Pacers face 3 times the rest of the season): Philadelphia(L,W), Cleveland(L), Milwaukee(2L), and Chicago(W,2L)

2-6 against Group C (8-4)

Last years record at this point: 25-36

BillS
03-04-2010, 10:13 AM

haha, kinda counterintuitive for the thread!

but i agree. shamefully.

This is where the whole "everyone wants us to lose" thing really grates me.

In front of a full house the night after the Reggie movie? I'm sorry, but if you lose that one "not on purpose, really, wink, wink" then you might as well fold the franchise.

Hicks
03-04-2010, 11:16 AM
This is where the whole "everyone wants us to lose" thing really grates me.

In front of a full house the night after the Reggie movie? I'm sorry, but if you lose that one "not on purpose, really, wink, wink" then you might as well fold the franchise.

Well first of all, there's a difference between thinking a loss is what's best right now and the next step of saying the team should be actively TRYING to lose.

But that's not even the reason I'm posting.

I'm not sure that you give the fan base enough credit. Winning that game isn't going to trick anyone into thinking things are better. Losing that game isn't going to convince anyone that the team will never, ever, ever be good again.

BillS
03-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Well first of all, there's a difference between thinking a loss is what's best right now and the next step of saying the team should be actively TRYING to lose.

But that's not even the reason I'm posting.

I'm not sure that you give the fan base enough credit. Winning that game isn't going to trick anyone into thinking things are better. Losing that game isn't going to convince anyone that the team will never, ever, ever be good again.

I think you're confusing the casual fan with people who pay attention to more than "what happened when I was there". Winning a game like that means the people who were there had an entertaining experience (and it was in fact a very good and entertaining game) and may very well come back. Why do you give up the opportunity to do that?

By the same token, for most casual fans, losing by a bunch but having young guys on the floor isn't going to make for an entertaining game. They'll just remember we lost by a bunch, the guys whose names they know weren't on the floor, and it wasn't any fun to have visiting fans giving them the "ha ha" as they left the arena.

Think about how many young kids are in that arena for that game (there were a lot of them). They don't know from "losing to get a better draft pick and preparing for the future", they only know the team won and the joint was rocking.

When you have a chance to give the fans coming off the street some positive experience, you do it. The fans on this forum are going to complain if we lose (because it's the "wrong way"), complain if we win (because we won't get John Wall), and aren't going to go to the games anyway. Why would you try to please them when you have this other opportunity?

Hicks
03-04-2010, 11:40 AM
I think there are dumb people out there, but most casual fans are smart enough to realize teams go through different phases of how good and/or entertaining they are. They don't get tricked by a single game or a few sprinkled through several months.

They won't be back until the team is CONSISTENTLY winning and/or entertaining.

BillS
03-04-2010, 11:44 AM
I think there are dumb people out there, but most casual fans are smart enough to realize teams go through different phases of how good and/or entertaining they are. They don't get tricked by a single game or a few sprinkled through several months.

They won't be back until the team is CONSISTENTLY winning and/or entertaining.

But the decision of what constitutes "consistently" will be heavily based on what their own personal last experience was like. If you had fun last time you went to the game, you are a lot more likely to go to another game sooner than if the last experience was awful.

Kraut N Beer
03-13-2010, 10:25 AM
I noticed that 11 of the last 17 Pacers games are at home, including 6 of the last 8. We have been atrocious on the road but respectable at home. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and where we land on the draft ladder.

I wish Detroit, Philly, New York, Washington, Sacramento, and the Clippers weren't all stinking it up so bad now.