PDA

View Full Version : New League: AABA - Whould You Watch?

PacerGuy
01-20-2010, 03:33 PM
Just when you thought you'd seen everything....

http://www.comcast.net/sports/writethatdown/3215/aabasonotapplepie/
Write That DownAABA: So Not Apple Pie
By ComcastSports
Wed, 20 Jan 2010 17:03:07 GMT
Chris Young, Comcast.net Sports

What’s more un-American than hating apple pie? How about a whites-only basketball league.

According to a report in the Augusta Chronicle, the All-American Basketball Alliance (AABA) is proposing rosters made up exclusively of Caucasian Americans and plans to begin its inaugural season in June with the hopes that Augusta, Georgia, will be one of twelve cities to host a team.

The league outlined its unorthodox intentions in a statement released Sunday evening.

"Only players that are natural-born United States citizens with both parents of Caucasian race are eligible to play in the league."

Shocked? Wait, it gets better.

AABA commissioner, Don "Moose" Lewis, delved into the league’s theory.

"There's nothing hatred about what we're doing," he said. "I don't hate anyone of color. But people of white, American-born citizens are in the minority now. Here's a league for white players to play fundamental basketball, which they like."

Lewis offered fans his definition of fundamental round ball, what distinguishes it from "street-ball" played by "people of color," and how recent incidents in the NBA, most prominently, the Gilbert Arenas saga, has fans dissatisfied with the way pro sports are being run.

"Would you want to go to the game and worry about a player flipping you off or attacking you in the stands or grabbing their crotch?" Lewis said. "That's the culture today, and in a free country we should have the right to move ourselves in a better direction."

Naturally, Lewis and the AABA are not being welcomed with open arms.

Clint Bryant, athletic director at Augusta State University, finds the AABA’s proposal laughable.

"It's so absurd, it's funny, but it gives you an idea of the sickness of our society" Bryant said. "It shows you what lengths people will go to just to be mean-spirited. I think at any basketball level, no matter if it's all black, all white, all Hispanic, all Asian or anyone else, the players should just be a basketball team."

Of course they should. But Lewis still sees this as a golden opportunity.

"People will come out and support a product they can identify with. I'm the spoken minority right now, but if people will give us a chance, it'll work... The white game of basketball, which is essentially a fundamental game, works."

This is athletic alienation at its finest.

:eek:....:crazy:

So, who is going to be the first to suggest:
-Larry Bird is leaving the Pacers for "a new and exciting business opportunity".
-Finally a place to move Murphy/ Dunleavy/ Foster's contracts!
-"Fundamental's" - Can we send them JO'B?
-The Pacers are being absorbed into a new league, exit the NBA.
-Pacers = AABA Chanpions!!!

tadscout
01-20-2010, 03:41 PM
I can see this thread being closed very very very quickly...

RamBo_Lamar
01-20-2010, 03:43 PM
That is sort of laughable.

At the risk of being politically incorrect, maybe just to even things up
he can start a blacks-only ice hockey league while he's at it.

:rolleyes:

duke dynamite
01-20-2010, 03:43 PM
Reminds me a lot of the XFL.

btowncolt
01-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Ruh roh.

BRushWithDeath
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM
Hahahaha I can't even describe how awesome this is.

sweabs
01-20-2010, 04:03 PM
If by awesome, you mean disturbingly racist - then yeah...

Sad thread.

Unclebuck
01-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Is this for real?

count55
01-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Is this for real?

Regrettably, yes.

pacergod2
01-20-2010, 04:09 PM
I would not support in any way shape or form a league based upon these principles. In this day and age, we should be moving away from things like this and laws promoting one race over another. It is really sad for our country.

This white boy finds this appalling and offensive.

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
I don't even think it makes it through it's inaugural season.

I'm sure Al Sharpton will have something intelligent to say about this.

Los Angeles
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Ruh roh.

You said it, Scooby! There's gotta be a kitchen in this haunted hotel. I wonder where it is ...

Hicks
01-20-2010, 04:15 PM
Eff it, I don't even want to give this one a chance. Closed.