PDA

View Full Version : Another ex-Memphis player in the news (Evans)

Tom White
01-20-2010, 09:32 AM
Just saw this about T. Evans on the yahoo home page. Those U of Memphis guys keep the reporters busy.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/19/evans.lawsuit.ap/index.html?rss=true

Evans sued over shooting death
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Sacramento Kings rookie Tyreke Evans is being sued over a fatal shooting committed by a teen cousin in his vehicle.

Evans is among four people being sued over the November 2007 drive-by shooting near his home in Chester, just south of Philadelphia.

Jamar Evans is serving a nine- to 20-year prison term after admitting he fired out the passenger-side door and killed 19-year-old Marcus Reason. Jamar Evans was 16 at the time.

Tyreke Evans was then a highly recruited high school player. He later played one season for the University of Memphis before jumping to the NBA.

Reason's family is seeking more than $50,000 in the wrongful-death suit filed in Delaware County.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

jhondog28
01-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Just saw this about T. Evans on the yahoo home page. Those U of Memphis guys keep the reporters busy.

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/01/19/evans.lawsuit.ap/index.html?rss=true

Evans sued over shooting death
Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA -- Sacramento Kings rookie Tyreke Evans is being sued over a fatal shooting committed by a teen cousin in his vehicle.

Evans is among four people being sued over the November 2007 drive-by shooting near his home in Chester, just south of Philadelphia.

Jamar Evans is serving a nine- to 20-year prison term after admitting he fired out the passenger-side door and killed 19-year-old Marcus Reason. Jamar Evans was 16 at the time.

Tyreke Evans was then a highly recruited high school player. He later played one season for the University of Memphis before jumping to the NBA.

Reason's family is seeking more than $50,000 in the wrongful-death suit filed in Delaware County.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

I dont get this. Why is Tyreke Evans being sued over something he had nothing to do with?

count55
01-20-2010, 09:45 AM
I dont get this. Why is Tyreke Evans being sued over something he had nothing to do with?

Deep Pockets

jhondog28
01-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Deep Pockets

OK so Tyreke played at Memphis. Well I have been to Beale St which is in Memphis once and they had a McDonalds and I went to a McDonalds yesterday and they sell coffee and it so happened I made a cup of coffee at home today and burned my finger on the cup so I guess therfore I should sue Tyreke Evans.

pacersgroningen
01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
This is just sad. I can't imagine what kind of legal basis there would be for this.

McKeyFan
01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
OK so Tyreke played at Memphis. Well I have been to Beale St which is in Memphis once and they had a McDonalds and I went to a McDonalds yesterday and they sell coffee and it so happened I made a cup of coffee at home today and burned my finger on the cup so I guess therfore I should sue Tyreke Evans.

If your attorney thinks you have a case, then I'm sure you would be advised to sue anyone with deep pockets.

Tom White
01-20-2010, 10:17 AM

While he did not pull the trigger, it was his car, and he was driving.

My guess is the people suing are saying that Evans should have known his cousin had a gun, and that it was not just happenstance that led them to the guy who got shot. They may be maintaining that those in the car sought out this particular guy, with the intent of doing him harm. (Though not necessarily to kill him.) Again, all this is just a guess. I have no idea. Just trying to come up with what their legal argument might be.

MagicRat
01-20-2010, 10:17 AM
http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/news_breaking/20100119_Tyreke_Evans_sued_in_Delco.html

Tyreke was behind the wheel....

Tom White
01-20-2010, 10:20 AM

Only if you were in his car going through the drive-thru, and he told you the coffee was cold.

ThA HoyA
01-20-2010, 10:20 AM
Isn't it because his cousin was using his car?? And even then that's stupid, I feel bad for the death but come one suing because he owned the vehicle... Maybe they should sue the city for the streets he used to drive on. As well as the tire company and gas company, and of course gun and ammunition company...

Tom White
01-20-2010, 10:25 AM
Isn't it because his cousin was using his car??

Check out MagicRat's post.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/breaking/news_breaking/20100119_Tyreke_Evans_sued_in_Delco.html

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 10:42 AM
Lay down with dogs......

Come up with flea's

Malcolm and Martin must be rolling over in their grave :cry::cry:

owl
01-20-2010, 10:51 AM
If he was driving the car he should be happy he is not in jail and an accessory to murder.

count55
01-20-2010, 10:54 AM

Check out MagicRat's post.

And if he was behind the wheel, you include him in the civil suit, because he's the one (I'm assuming) that has got the deepest pockets. He's the one that just signed a $17mm contract.

It doesn't matter if he was considered criminally culpable, civil suits have a different standard of proof. Any lawyer with a functioning IQ above room temperature is going to name him in the suit.

Whether he will end up having to pay or not remains to be seen.

travmil
01-20-2010, 11:27 AM
If they are seeking $50k then he would be an idiot to not pay that and just make it go away. Of course he probably owes his entire rookie contract to some Memphis booster but that's another debate...

Trader Joe
01-20-2010, 01:04 PM

So the better question is how is he not in jail?

DGPR
01-20-2010, 01:16 PM
I thought we had a big discussion about this before last year's draft?

Sookie
01-20-2010, 01:17 PM
So the better question is how is he not in jail?

Only possibility is, they were just driving and cousin pulled out a gun and shot someone without Tyreke knowing it was going to happen.

Still I'd think he'd be held accountable..

Since86
01-20-2010, 01:50 PM
I thought we had a big discussion about this before last year's draft?

We did.

The story is that they were leaving his cousins house, when a group of guys walked up to his vehicle. Evans said he heard someone yell "He's about to shoot" so he put the vehicle into drive and as he was driving off he heard two gunshots. He looked over and he's cousin was putting a gun back into the front pocket of his sweatshirt.

Evans completely cooperated with police, even telling them he overheard his cousin on the phone discussing what he did with the gun involved in the shooting.

I understand that Evans was a part of the shooting, because he was driving, and it was his vehicle, but he reacted the way most (if not all) of us would. He heard someone was going to shoot, and got the hell out of the area as fast as possible.

The victim and Evans' cousin were from two different gangs.

ChicagoJ
01-20-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm tired of reading about all of these ex-Memphis players. I just want to fast-forward three or four years until Kentucky is on probation and we're reading about the gang/ criminal/ cheating scandals at UK. I'll enjoy that a lot more.

:D

jhondog28
01-20-2010, 02:56 PM
Sorry didnt know he was the one driving. That changes my viewpoint. If he cooperated with the police to the fullest extent then he should not be legally responsible but because he was stupid to associate with people who carries guns and shoots at people then yes he has th edeepest pockets so go after him. 50K is nothing to him.