PDA

View Full Version : Chad Ford thinks we'll trade Foster and/or Murphy by the deadline

Hicks
01-19-2010, 03:01 PM
This was posted in the Random NBA Thoughts thread, but I thought it was worth starting a new thread.

here is more info from Chad Ford

Scott (Indy)

Any Pacer rumors out there? Murphy rumors (in particular)? What would they be asking for him? Cap space or something more substantial?
Chad Ford (1:33 PM)

Same two: Murphy and Jeff Foster. I expect that, given the level of interest I'm hearing from other GMs, they'll figure out some way to pry them away from the Pacers. Cap relief, draft picks or young players. Some combination of those three.

BRushWithDeath
01-19-2010, 03:03 PM
God I hope he's right.

Speed
01-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Big thing is Foster has to play and be all the way healthy and show it for awhile, I'd guess.

90'sNBARocked
01-19-2010, 03:47 PM
All I am saying is if Bird and Company fail to trade either Foster or Murphy then

either Bird is asking too much and he has completely failed this franchise

or he truly believes that he can get more for them next year

as long as the reason is NOT that he thinks they can make a playoff run again

CableKC
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
Big thing is Foster has to play and be all the way healthy and show it for awhile, I'd guess.
That's what's odd here.....I'd assume that if Foster's health was a concern....that he'd be playing...or at least there'd be some info that he's participating in full practice. You have to wonder what is going on with his injury. I know that he has had recurring Back issues.....and that he's usually back in the lineup and simply playing through any pain. The fact that he hasn't returned yet is kind of troublesome if not puzzling given the apparent interest in him.

Unclebuck
01-19-2010, 03:54 PM
A team might take a chance on trading for Foster even if he isn't playing. The team's doctors always examines a player before a trade is official. Sure it is less likely, but I could see a team doing it - if the doctors says he can play. Plus teams know the back is always going to be a problem

90'sNBARocked
01-19-2010, 03:55 PM
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/30439

Josh (Ohio)
Chad, is it going to be another one of those anti-climatic trade deadlines?

Chad Ford (1:03 PM)
Don't think so. GMs reporting A LOT of trade talk, activity. Too many teams are motivated to make a deal. I'm not sure we'll have 10 blockbuster trades ... but I bet we have 10 trades.

Kevin (Omaha)

Thoughts on the Nets moving Devin Harris, and if so, what will it take to get him?

Chad Ford (1:25 PM)

As I've been writing for the past 2 weeks, he's available. The question is ... for what? The Nets are going to want something serious back in return. One idea I've heard floating around is Caron Butler for Harris.

Man, any chance we could make a play at Devin Harris?

:angel::angel::angel:

sportfireman
01-19-2010, 04:02 PM
That's what's odd here.....I'd assume that if Foster's health was a concern....that he'd be playing...or at least there'd be some info that he's participating in full practice. You have to wonder what is going on with his injury. I know that he has had recurring Back issues.....and that he's usually back in the lineup and simply playing through any pain. The fact that he hasn't returned yet is kind of troublesome if not puzzling given the apparent interest in him.

i think foster not playing is because he's had health problems, he's probably already traded(pacers are working out the details of the trade), and isn't gonna be with the franchise. so the trading partner is saying "ok he's ours now and we don't want him hurt, we want him for the playoffs mostly, he's not part of your team future anyways. p.s. if you hurt him trade is off."

I Love P
01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Lets just hope Bird gets a deal done soon. I'm tired of playing the waiting game...

BobbyMac
01-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Well I haven't changed my position that we should kepp Murphy, but with Tyler's continued inner ear problems I don't think we can trade Murphy. If we trade Foster we need to get a young big.

IUfan4life
01-19-2010, 04:12 PM

sure, if we want to give up a first rounder, and get a souped up version of TJ ford

Peck
01-19-2010, 04:17 PM
I mean it would be a dream come true for me if both these players were traded, but again I am starting to have real doubts about the people above O'Brien now.

My gut feeling is that they will do nothing until it gets closer to the trade deadline because right now they honestly think that they have turned a corner on health and are in a playoff hunt.

Murphy is one of the cornerstones for O'Brien's system so my guess is that as long as they think they have an outside chance of making it that they will not make any moves.

Unclebuck
01-19-2010, 04:23 PM
I've learned over the years, to never expect, wait on or anticipate a trade. The odds are a trade isn't going to happen, so why get all worked up over an unlikely event. No sense in even thinking about "playing a waiting game" because you'll likely be waiting a loooong time

docpaul
01-19-2010, 04:39 PM
I mean it would be a dream come true for me if both these players were traded, but again I am starting to have real doubts about the people above O'Brien now.

My gut feeling is that they will do nothing until it gets closer to the trade deadline because right now they honestly think that they have turned a corner on health and are in a playoff hunt.

Murphy is one of the cornerstones for O'Brien's system so my guess is that as long as they think they have an outside chance of making it that they will not make any moves.

I like the "jedi mind trick" approach you're trying to employ, but every indication is that one (or more) players are going to move by the deadline... they've said as much publicly.

I haven't decided on whether it makes more sense to hold onto Murphy though, knowing that his value will likely continue to increase as his contract draws to a close. I can't stand to see him on the floor most times with this team, but he clearly is perceived differently outside Indy.

90'sNBARocked
01-19-2010, 04:46 PM
sure, if we want to give up a first rounder, and get a souped up version of TJ ford

Not following

I take it your not a fan of Devin Harris?

90'sNBARocked
01-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Then I think they should be drug tested immediately

For the love of God, for 3 seasons now it's been wait till we get healthy. To think this team has a shoty of going anwyhere but the lottery , as currently constructed, is highly deliousional :bs:

McKeyFan
01-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Not following

I take it your not a fan of Devin Harris?

I'm not. He seems to much like a shoot first point guard.

90'sNBARocked
01-19-2010, 05:00 PM

wow,

not really sure about that. I mean he was playing at a really high level before he got injured, and he is only 24 I believe

If the Nets get the number one pick, then it should facilitate a trade

MrSparko
01-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Pray tell who would you pass to on the Nets?

dohman
01-19-2010, 05:13 PM
I think I would give my left nut to have harris on this team. Him and granger would make a very good tandem.

tadscout
01-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Folks the Nets only want a All Star Caliber player to even part w/ Harris... they say it'll hurt their chances of signing an elite Free Agent otherwise... so unless you're willing to trade Granger, Harris is highly unlikely here...

BoomBaby33
01-19-2010, 05:27 PM
Pray tell who would you pass to on the Nets?

Send Troy Murphy back home!!! :signit:

spazzxb
01-19-2010, 05:29 PM
I think I would give my left nut to have harris on this team. Him and granger would make a very good tandem.

If Foster or Murphy can turn into Devin Harris I would be intoxicated enough to do alot of things, however never that. I was wondering, however, if one was required to remove a nut how does one decide which is the better nut. It would seem many are more apt to remove the left than the right and I am curious if there is science to back this up.
Someone has very little on his plate today, obviously

tadscout
01-19-2010, 05:31 PM

Since when do teams that have pieces that other teams want move them way before the deadline... you have more bargaining leverage using the other teams against each other the closer you get to the deadline...

I know you have mistrust for our management, and everyday that passes you doubt they'll do anything... but be patient... b/c guess what, every GM worth their salt is patient and gets the best deal for their team. That's why you see most deals done closer to the deadline than weeks before.

It's hard being a fan and not able to control the strings of something you have allot of passion about, but sometimes we here need to step back and take a deep breath, to clear out some of the cynicism... (Not aimed directly at you)

Sparhawk
01-19-2010, 05:31 PM

Do you think the Pacers are purposely holding him out to ensure he'll be 100% healthy when traded?

focused444
01-19-2010, 05:54 PM
There has been a lot of D. Harris talk lately, and I wanted to add some things. This is only to inform you of the sentiment for Devin Harris of people in the metropolitan area. I have good friends who have attended every game at the Izod center since J Kidd was in town, At first when Devin came to the Nets they were what I'd describe as highly optimistic, and there was no question the Nets won that trade.

Now they have completely turned on him. The main thing when griping about Harris is he is SOFT, to put it nicely. Next is on to his mental ability to lead a team deep into the playoffs. Also they say how he "wants to be a huge star". Which I only mention because I wonder would he conflict with Granger.

Now the talk is that it has become evident through out the organization and immediate fan base that D Harris is not the type of leader to carry a championship team. Which is why he is suddenly expendable.

Again this is what people here are saying every time the Nets are brought up. Sometimes looking deeper into a situation there is no one better than the local/die hard fans to diagnose their team, but then again what do they know, they're Nets fans ;)

cinotimz
01-19-2010, 05:55 PM
Do you think the Pacers are purposely holding him out to ensure he'll be 100% healthy when traded?

Yes.

Also think that you likely wont see a deal done til the deadline due to the fact one of the primary deals being discussed is a Cleveland deal involving Z and a potential buyout and subsequent release. The longer that waits, the less money it will cost the Pacers so I dont think they will make a deal as long as that seems like a viable possibility.

CableKC
01-19-2010, 06:01 PM
Well I haven't changed my position that we should kepp Murphy, but with Tyler's continued inner ear problems I don't think we can trade Murphy. If we trade Foster we need to get a young big.
I am all for competing for a Playoff spot and recognize that we need some Big Man depth.......but if we ever decided to NOT make a trade ( especially Murphy's huge contract ) because of a 3rd/4th/5th rotational Big Man's ear infection ( that I'd assume will go away in a couple of weeks at most )....I'd want someone's head to roll.

OakMoses
01-19-2010, 06:04 PM
All I am saying is if Bird and Company fail to trade either Foster or Murphy then

either Bird is asking too much and he has completely failed this franchise

or he truly believes that he can get more for them next year

as long as the reason is NOT that he thinks they can make a playoff run again

This is a bit overstated. If Bird is turning down very reasonable offers (Z + Hickson, for example) then you might have a case. However, if he decides to wait and see what he can get for Murphy and Foster next season when they are both talented players and expiring contracts, I don't think he's failing the franchise.

However, I do think we need to move one player by the deadline just to avoid some serious luxury tax issues for next season.

I think there might be some truth to the Foster being held out due to trade talks idea. If Denver (or someone else) really wants him and is committed to finding a way to get him, why would they want him playing right now? Any team that trades for him is going to know he's had back issues for years. They're also going to examine him and try to determine how healthy he'll be for the rest of this year. He'll probably be healthier if he's not playing.

CableKC
01-19-2010, 06:08 PM

I really hope that the FO is not thinking like this. If the FO has a deal that could net the Pacers Financial relief and some sweetner ( ie, $$$, prospects, picks ), I'd really hope that they take it and move on....if they don't thinking that Murphy is too valuable to keep....then Bird has moved on from running the Pacers FO in a "practical, pragmatic and realistic" manner that has gotten us this far to IMHO DW territory....where he overvalues and asks for too much in return for the Pacers assets while setting unrealistic goals for the Team.

I am all for not tanking and making the best push that we can for the Playoffs......but not at the cost of further limiting our SalaryCap/financial situation next season. Murphy is a good JO'B type of player....but he is not the end all be all when it comes to the success of this team.

Justin Tyme
01-19-2010, 06:09 PM
I think I would give my left nut to have harris on this team.

You might want to have 2nd thoughts about that. :D

cinotimz
01-19-2010, 06:12 PM
This is a bit overstated. If Bird is turning down very reasonable offers (Z + Hickson, for example) then you might have a case. However, if he decides to wait and see what he can get for Murphy and Foster next season when they are both talented players and expiring contracts, I don't think he's failing the franchise.

However, I do think we need to move one player by the deadline just to avoid some serious luxury tax issues for next season.

I think there might be some truth to the Foster being held out due to trade talks idea. If Denver (or someone else) really wants him and is committed to finding a way to get him, why would they want him playing right now? Any team that trades for him is going to know he's had back issues for years. They're also going to examine him and try to determine how healthy he'll be for the rest of this year. He'll probably be healthier if he's not playing.

I wouldnt be surprised if theres a tentative deal already in place that would make Foster a Celtic at the deadline.

Doug
01-19-2010, 06:15 PM
IF we are actually dealing from a position of strength trade-wise (for a change!), then it would be foolish to rush into the first good deal.

Assuming, of course, there are truly multiple teams inquiring about Murphy and/or Foster.

IUfan4life
01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
If Foster or Murphy can turn into Devin Harris I would be intoxicated enough to do alot of things, however never that. I was wondering, however, if one was required to remove a nut how does one decide which is the better nut. It would seem many are more apt to remove the left than the right and I am curious if there is science to back this up.
Someone has very little on his plate today, obviously

I would give up my right nut, as i am left handed

tadscout
01-19-2010, 06:26 PM
IF we are actually dealing from a position of strength trade-wise (for a change!), then it would be foolish to rush into the first good deal.

Assuming, of course, there are truly multiple teams inquiring about Murphy and/or Foster.

:thankyou:

I've been trying to say this but everyone seems to prefer to go :onozomg:

Maybe if more of us say this the point may get through... then again what fun would that be for them? :-p:duh:

focused444
01-19-2010, 06:28 PM
I've learned over the years, to never expect, wait on or anticipate a trade. The odds are a trade isn't going to happen, so why get all worked up over an unlikely event. No sense in even thinking about "playing a waiting game" because you'll likely be waiting a loooong time

This is some serious life advice. I wish it was as easy to implement as it is profound. Every year my life from around JAN 1st to the deadline is in a self created frenzy of hopes for these rumors to materialize only to have them dissolve quietly. I do think this year will be the trade deadline that would teach me this lesson. The two best possible guys for the Pacers to trade IMO are in "high demand" it seems perfect. This year would have a special sting.

QuickRelease
01-19-2010, 06:54 PM

They probably wouldn't even answer the phone unless Danny's involved.

QuickRelease
01-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I would give up my right nut, as i am left handed

:eek::laugh::eek:

vnzla81
01-19-2010, 06:57 PM
I hope they don't bring somebody that is going to "help make it to the playoffs" and has a longer contract

Brad8888
01-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Chad Ford is a journalist, first and foremost, whose job it is to create interest in what he has to report on, which is the NBA. Of course he is going to spread any rumor floated out there whether there is any truth to it or not.

I won't believe anything until there is an announcement by the Pacers that they have traded anyone, let alone either the popular Foster, or the O'Brien darling who has been weakly attempting to mimic Larry Bird's stats, Murphy.

My guess is that if any trades are made that it will be Rush, Watson, or McRoberts, or a combination of the three in exchange for a young big. With Watson gone, then Ford will be back as a backup to Price until Diener gets healthy.

BRushWithDeath
01-19-2010, 06:58 PM
I hope they don't bring somebody that is going to "help make it to the playoffs" and has a longer contract

Unless it's LeBron or Kobe, you don't have anything to worry about.

jhondog28
01-19-2010, 07:05 PM
They probably wouldn't even answer the phone unless Danny's involved.

Oh they have no needs at the PF position I think they need a SF or SG and I bet you could see if they might bite on B Rush but to make that happen you would have to include a 1st rounder this year. They possibly would have B Rush and 2 top 10 picks that might make it work.

vnzla81
01-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Unless it's LeBron or Kobe, you don't have anything to worry about.

you never know man, they already did it more than once, you never know;)

Hicks
01-19-2010, 07:09 PM
Chad Ford is a journalist, first and foremost, whose job it is to create interest in what he has to report on, which is the NBA. Of course he is going to spread any rumor floated out there whether there is any truth to it or not.

I don't think that's fair to Chad Ford at all.

No one's saying that a trade is 100%, and in fact he's not saying that himself.

But he spends pretty much every day on the phone with people from all over the NBA (including GMs), and when he hears something worth mentioning, he does.

To dismiss what he's saying because, essentially, "He just wants to sell papers", so to speak, paints a very inaccurate picture IMO.

tadscout
01-19-2010, 07:09 PM

I won't believe anything until there is an announcement by the Pacers that they have traded anyone, let alone either the popular Foster, or the O'Brien darling who has been weakly attempting to mimic Larry Bird's stats, Murphy.

My guess is that if any trades are made that it will be Rush, Watson, or McRoberts, or a combination of the three in exchange for a young big. With Watson gone, then Ford will be back as a backup to Price until Diener gets healthy.

He's also a journalist that has probably close to the most connections/ sources in the NBA than anyone... so it would serve him nothing to be making up stuff... If he makes up stuff the sources tired to those teams wouldn't trust him anymore... so he has no value to pull stuff out of his butt if he has people will to supply him info.

So therefore I'd trust his rumors 100 x's more than your gut feelings... for none the less at least his make sense ;):-p

note: haha Hicks beat me to the point...

Naptown_Seth
01-19-2010, 10:47 PM
Agree. Some of it has been playing in NJ where he became a scoring star. He's quick, but he tends to forget he has teammates. Instead of setting them up, he just makes moves and gets assists from dumps when he breaks people down. That's not the same as giving up the ball earlier and trusting that it might come back to you. He wants to do it all, and unfortunately CDR and Lee have similar approaches. All this with Lopez on the team.

I like Harris and maybe he'll get back out of this mindset, but for now I'm wary.

Naptown_Seth
01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
I wouldnt be surprised if theres a tentative deal already in place that would make Foster a Celtic at the deadline.
And Troy a Cav if they can't get Jamison for a good price.

They might not make a deal, but it won't be for lack of trying. Sometimes you just get beat to the punch. Jamison is going to command more value, I hope the Pacers realize this.

I'm not in a rush to see these deals done, take your time and do it right, look for a slight edge to them if it can be found, but get something done at the deadline. (within some reason of course)

duke dynamite
01-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Well, racing season starts next month, I just wonder how long I can ignore the idea of wanting a trade until then.

Will Galen
01-19-2010, 10:57 PM
This bit about New Jersey wanting to trade Harris? I don't believe it. He's a way better point guard than anyone else on the Nets roster, so the question is why would they trade him?

No, I think what the Nets are doing is seeing what offers they can get for Harris in case they get the #1 pick in the draft.

duke dynamite
01-19-2010, 10:59 PM
This bit about New Jersey wanting to trade Harris? I don't believe it. He's a way better point guard than anyone else on the Nets roster, so the question is why would they trade him?

No, I think what the Nets are doing is seeing what offers they can get for Harris in case they get the #1 pick in the draft.
Three reasons:

3. Dump salary
2. Trade him for multiple talent
1. Extra first-round draft pick

BlueNGold
01-19-2010, 11:12 PM

John Wall would be a good reason for them to test the market.

While Harris was playing really, really well last year, I think he's over-rated. He doesn't have much of a perimeter game and doesn't distribute all that well. At this point this year, he's playing terrible and NJ cannot be that pleased. They will deal Harris and pick Wall if given the chance. At his size and with his skills, Harris isn't a legit SG. He reminds me a bit of a poor man's Monta Ellis.

Will Galen
01-19-2010, 11:25 PM

Ford has said some sources have tried to play him. He's said he usually needs multiple sources before putting rumors from those guys in his columns. So obviously he just doesn't float any and every rumor he hears.

Tom White
01-20-2010, 09:41 AM
There has been a lot of D. Harris talk lately, and I wanted to add some things. This is only to inform you of the sentiment for Devin Harris of people in the metropolitan area. I have good friends who have attended every game at the Izod center since J Kidd was in town, At first when Devin came to the Nets they were what I'd describe as highly optimistic, and there was no question the Nets won that trade.

Now they have completely turned on him. The main thing when griping about Harris is he is SOFT, to put it nicely. Next is on to his mental ability to lead a team deep into the playoffs. Also they say how he "wants to be a huge star". Which I only mention because I wonder would he conflict with Granger.

Now the talk is that it has become evident through out the organization and immediate fan base that D Harris is not the type of leader to carry a championship team. Which is why he is suddenly expendable.

Again this is what people here are saying every time the Nets are brought up. Sometimes looking deeper into a situation there is no one better than the local/die hard fans to diagnose their team, but then again what do they know, they're Nets fans ;)

I'd have to ask those fans a question. "When was the last time a team with three wins qualified as anything close to a playoff or championship level team?"

That's like putting a jockey on a cow and then complaining that he will never win the Kentucky Derby.

Brad8888
01-20-2010, 11:25 AM
He's also a journalist that has probably close to the most connections/ sources in the NBA than anyone... so it would serve him nothing to be making up stuff... If he makes up stuff the sources tired to those teams wouldn't trust him anymore... so he has no value to pull stuff out of his butt if he has people will to supply him info.

So therefore I'd trust his rumors 100 x's more than your gut feelings... for none the less at least his make sense ;):-p

note: haha Hicks beat me to the point...

I hope there is some truth to what Chad Ford wrote.

From my personal observations about our team, though, the two most frustrating players for Jim O'Brien, the coach we extended and I would assume we are trying to get players for since we don't have any other coaches waiting in the wings and the fact that Bird has publicly stated that the players who don't want to play for this coach are likely to be traded, are unquestionably Brandon Rush and the forever benched Josh McRoberts. He can't figure out what to do with either of these players, and I am sure he would like nothing more than to trade them for draft picks if nothing else.

The third banished player at this point is TJ the untradeable, which leaves him out. Diener shoots the three, which ultimately leaves him here as much as his perpetual injuries, Price is beginning to make his presence felt, leaving Watson as expendable, and he has shown enough here to possibly warrant interest on a team that wants a veteran pg as an insurance policy.

We also can't / won't trade Dunleavy due to the size of his contract (its value will increase substantially next year after he heals more fully and is in its expiring year).

We likely won't trade Danny either as the face of the franchise due to the decreased value his recurring health concerns place on him.

Bird wants to see Hansbrough pan out here, so he is not being traded.

Solo is Solo and might be included as salary equalizer with Rush, otherwise he is not tradeable.

Hibbert is our "center of the future" and won't be traded due to being another fan favorite.

Dahntay Jones is well known, and his reputation can't have been helped because of his inability to even help our inept defense at all, and his contract is way too long and expensive for a player that most teams would have as an 8th man

Luther Head is a streaky player who is well known in the league who would possibly be another filler in a larger trade, but not anyone that would be actively pursued.

Foster still has next year on his contract and back issues that have basically permanently sidelined him, so unless he is being bought out in some twist of the CBA rules, I can't see any team having interest in playing him (unless we have been holding him out at the request of other teams who are interested to prevent further degradation of his back).

Murphy will also increase in value going forward, but I guess rumors = fact and he is all but on the bus to Cleveland or parts unknown playing for a title with one of several contending teams looking for a stretch 4 that can shoot a trailing 3 and rebounds better than anyone not named Dwight Howard :p.

Yep, Chad Ford is likely right on the button. I am sorry for doubting him and his ability to ferret out the truth behind the rumors that he is constantly fed by GM's with no reason to talk to him other than to spread rumors that benefit their own efforts to trade their own players. While they do want him to have SOME credibility and would likely not flat out lie to him, they all know from speaking to each other as well what rumors are being spread just as well as he does, and "confirm" those stories for him at times I'm sure.

As usual, when is the last time a trade from the Pacers was ever correctly predicted in the media, and who was it who broke the story? I don't remember one, either at any time since Donnie Walsh came to the Pacers, or since Bird took over.

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 12:00 PM
As usual, when is the last time a trade from the Pacers was ever correctly predicted in the media, and who was it who broke the story? I don't remember one, either at any time since Donnie Walsh came to the Pacers, or since Bird took over.

I believe that the JO trade was leaked a few daysbefore it became a reality

vnzla81
01-20-2010, 12:11 PM
here is more info about the pacers and cavs

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/30421

John (Akron (Ohio))

What do you think is the most likely trade the Cavs will make?

David Thorpe (12:01 PM)

Troy Murphy.

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 12:13 PM

John (Akron (Ohio))

Troy Murphy.

nice catch

Frakin David Thorpe man, a munk has more words in a conversation

vnzla81
01-20-2010, 12:19 PM
nice catch

I know, he is bad in giving up information.:confused:

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 12:27 PM
I know, he is bad in giving up information.:confused:

The funny thing is he enjoys the fact it frustrates others

Twitter , please go away :)

tadscout
01-20-2010, 12:31 PM
nice catch

He's also the one that thinks Tyler's recent drop off in minuets played is b/c of performance and he has no clue about his ear/vertigo issue...

Tyler Hansbrough, Pacers
The Pacers currently aren't getting anything from their prized rookie who gave them some life in December. In January, he is averaging just nine minutes a game and has not scored more than four points in any game.

Finishing is still a problem for Hansbrough, whose shooting accuracy is worse than 30 percent this month. Meanwhile, his teammates are playing better, which is the biggest reason he's lost playing time. So staying hungry and working to refine his shot will pay dividends when he gets another chance to play more minutes.

Link (http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insider/columns/story?columnist=thorpe_david&page=Rookies-100120)

Tom White
01-20-2010, 12:33 PM
I believe that the JO trade was leaked a few daysbefore it became a reality

...as was the trade bringing Harrington back here from Atlanta. That one seemed to go on for months.

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 12:34 PM
[QUOTE=tadscout;947970]He's also the one that thinks Tyler's recent drop off in minuets played is b/c of performance and he has no clue about his ear/vertigo issue...

He is definitley right aboput Tyler's shooting percentage and his inability to finish at the rim

tadscout
01-20-2010, 12:41 PM
He's also the one that thinks Tyler's recent drop off in minuets played is b/c of performance and he has no clue about his ear/vertigo issue...

He is definitley right aboput Tyler's shooting percentage and his inability to finish at the rim

With the lack of preseason and on and off b/c of injuries... I won't really worry about his shooting unless it stays that way next season after he has a full summer to work and adjust on it...

vnzla81
01-20-2010, 12:47 PM
he answered my question and of course was really short:confused:

vnzla81 (chicago)

do you think that murphy is really going to help the cavs to win a title?

David Thorpe (12:46 PM)

He would be a big help.

I had to say that I was from chicago for him to answer my question:p

vnzla81
01-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Buster (CA)

higher ceiling and why? rudy gay vs. danny granger

David Thorpe (12:52 PM)

Rudy, younger and just as talented. Maybe even more so.

I think he is crazy on this one:confused:

Trophy
01-20-2010, 12:53 PM

John (Akron (Ohio))

Troy Murphy.

Are the Wizards holding back from trading Jamison? He's the Cavs first option.

Daniel33
01-20-2010, 01:10 PM
please Chad I hope you are right :)

CableKC
01-20-2010, 01:30 PM
Buster (CA)

higher ceiling and why? rudy gay vs. danny granger

David Thorpe (12:52 PM)

Rudy, younger and just as talented. Maybe even more so.

I think he is crazy on this one:confused:
Not crazy...just his opinion.

focused444
01-20-2010, 01:32 PM
I'd have to ask those fans a question. "When was the last time a team with three wins qualified as anything close to a playoff or championship level team?"

That's like putting a jockey on a cow and then complaining that he will never win the Kentucky Derby.

By no means do they have false expectations for the current Nets roster even to be a playoff team. The point I was trying to convey was the Nets fans for the most part want nothing to do with devin harris going forward (especially if they can get all star talent for him before his trade value diminishes). The feelings toward him have been developing for more than just one season. It is possible that the terrible season they are having to endure was the "last straw" but for the most part they try to stay objective, and not get too emotional. The problem isn't the Nets aren't competing for a championship right now, the issue is the fans think he's soft and they are not nearly as happy with him as they were when the trade went down. It's one of those little things that doesn't spread to the national level, like Murphy "stealing rebounds" no one notices but the people who watch every game every season.

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 01:37 PM
[QUOTE=90'sNBARocked;947973]

With the lack of preseason and on and off b/c of injuries... I won't really worry about his shooting unless it stays that way next season after he has a full summer to work and adjust on it...

Good point,

Although his shot getting blocked constantly while under the rim, has nothing to do with missing training camp/pre-season

I would love to see Kevin McHale tutor Tyler

McHale had probably the best footwork for a big man in the history of the NBA. In fact Barkley often said, McHale not Bird was the player on the Celtics most teams feared

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 01:39 PM
he answered my question and of course was really short:confused:

vnzla81 (chicago)

do you think that murphy is really going to help the cavs to win a title?

David Thorpe (12:46 PM)

He would be a big help.

I had to say that I was from chicago for him to answer my question:p

That sux, no respect for Naptown :censored:

tadscout
01-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Good point,

Although his shot getting blocked constantly while under the rim, has nothing to do with missing training camp/pre-season

I would love to see Kevin McHale tutor Tyler

McHale had probably the best footwork for a big man in the history of the NBA. In fact Barkley often said, McHale not Bird was the player on the Celtics most teams feared

Umm adjusting to a new league/ style of play/ speed/ physicality does have a whole lot to do with it... all those viables can throws a wrench into someones post game...

Show me a early teen 1st round big guy that was able to step onto a court w/ no pre-season and dominate from game one in the post...

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=90'sNBARocked;948016]

Umm adjusting to a new league/ style of play/ speed/ physicality does have a whole lot to do with it... all those viables can throws a wrench into someones post game...

Show me a early teen 1st round big guy that was able to step onto a court w/ no pre-season and dominate from game one in the post...

Jason Thompson

tadscout
01-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Jason Thompson

miss pre-season? He played all 82 games in rookie year... had no injury issues like Tyler... and 11 ppg 7.8 rpg dominate?

Thompson in rookie year was at 28 min a game vs 17 of Tyler...

Tyler is at 8.5 ppg and 4.8 rbg w/ minute restrictions and fluxes b/c of the injuries he has had...

Only difference is the FG% (%50- %36) which is what I'm arguing the in and out b/c of the injuries is slowing down his adjustment to the league...

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 02:57 PM
[QUOTE=90'sNBARocked;948032]

miss pre-season? He played all 82 games in rookie year... had no injury issues like Tyler... and 11 ppg 7.8 rpg dominate?

Tyler is at 8.5 ppg and 4.8 rbg w/ minute restrictions and fluxes b/c of the injuries he has had...

Only difference is the FG% (%50- %36) which is what I'm arguing the in and out b/c of the injuries is slowing down his adjustment to the league...

Well,

Athelticism and verticle leap are not really taught and I dont care if Tyler had an entire year under his belt

He will always struggle with getting his shot off under the basket

He may turn out to be a decent player but I guarantee you he will never ever have a game like Blair with 20 rebounds

his best asset is his bull in a china shop mentality that can wreak havoc on soft players

i love how people think he will go from shooting percentage in the 30's to suddenly after time becoming a solid outside shooter

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=90'sNBARocked;948032]

Ok,

So its the fact he had presason, and if Tyler had preseason he would be domminating now :rolleyes:

tadscout
01-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Ok,

So its the fact he had presason, and if Tyler had preseason he would be domminating now :rolleyes:

And I love how naive people are thinking that there is no adjustment from the college game to the NBA game... it takes time and experience... both which Tyler is being shorted of b/c of the injuries... :rolleyes:

I'll stop here b/c Like with Seth there will be no answer to this debate until a year or two down the road and more playing time and development is put in... so why keep arguing points that neither of us are willing to move from apparently...

Hicks
01-20-2010, 03:48 PM
For God's sake, someone fix the quotes in this thread!

90'sNBARocked
01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
[QUOTE=90'sNBARocked;948058]

And I love how naive people are thinking that there is no adjustment from the college game to the NBA game... it takes time and experience... both which Tyler is being shorted of b/c of the injuries... :rolleyes:

I'll stop here b/c Like with Seth there will be no answer to this debate until a year or two down the road and more playing time and development is put in... so why keep arguing points that neither of us are willing to move from apparently...

Thats true , time will reveal it.

however I am willing to wager any amount that Tyler will always strugle getting his shot off. As you mentioned players are bigger and stronger in the NBA then college, so that wont change

I guess a lot of these experts we trashed after plucking Tyler were "way off base"

and I respect everyones right to debate , and dont like debating for the sake of debating, but I stand firm in my belief that he will struggle in the low post most of his career

Hope I am wrong though

tadscout
01-20-2010, 04:10 PM
For God's sake, someone fix the quotes in this thread!

I'm not sure how it's happening, I'm just using the quote button in the bottom right cornor of the posts... :hmm::confused:

Edit: somehow the quote thingy was thrown off and was including both our names at the start of our quotes and always took the 2nd one... anyway went back and fixed all my posts, sorry about the confusion our debate may have caused, lol...

Hicks
01-20-2010, 04:17 PM
Someone did it wrong, and now it's started a chain reaction.

Remember, folks, every quoted text needs to start with {quote} or {quote=username} and end with {/quote}.

Of course with [ ] instead of the { } I used here.

CableKC
01-20-2010, 07:05 PM
This is something to consider when it comes to Foster or Murphy being moved.

The same Teams that are interested in Murphy and Foster apparently have the same interest in Jamison
( at least when it comes to the Cavs ) and Brendan Haywood from the Wizards. The Cavs have obvious interest in Jamison....thus affects whether the Pacers could cement any interest in a deal centered around Murphy for Z. On top of that one of the Centers that is also drawing attention is Brendan Haywood.....specifically from the Nuggets and the Blazers.....thus affecting whether the Pacers could do any deal centered around Foster to either of those teams.

Based off of what I have been reading.....the primary sticking point for any possiblity that the Wizards move Haywood and/or Jamison is whatever happens with the whole Arenas/Crittenton fiasco. I don't ever want to wish anything bad to happen to Arenas....but I hope it doesn't get resolved until AFTER the trade deadline.

The longer this whole scenario drags out and the murkier the status of Arenas' Contract becomes ( and therefore how that affects what their financial situation is )......the less likely that the Wizards would pull any trigger on any possible deal on either Players....which in the end is good for us.

MyFavMartin
01-20-2010, 08:01 PM
I think that Foster and Murphy are two veterans that have reasonable contracts that could help a team in the playoffs, and don't fit the long-term plan of rebuilding, and hence, have the most trade value.

joeyd
01-20-2010, 10:01 PM
I hope Chad is wrong. I like Hibbert, but I'd rather have Foster as the security blanket ready to come off the bench when Hibbert reverts to his "3 fouls in the first 5 minutes" mode. Foster also matches up well against several bigs in the east.

I don't think that Foster not playing is an indication of an impending trade. I look at him on the bench and during timeouts. His interest in the momentary movements of the team are still obvious, more so even than Ford, who has also been sitting on the bench and might be moved as well by the deadline.

D-BONE
01-20-2010, 10:03 PM
Is there any scenario under which we could just somehow trade the entire roster?

ChicagoJ
01-20-2010, 11:16 PM
Is there any scenario under which we could just somehow trade the entire roster?

We can make trades with the D-league?

Brad8888
01-21-2010, 12:42 AM

Yes. Las Vegas is willing to trade us for our entire roster. Who knows, maybe Vancouver would too, like the rumors last year talked about.

cdash
01-21-2010, 12:45 AM
Yes. Las Vegas is willing to trade us for our entire roster. Who knows, maybe Vancouver would too, like the rumors last year talked about.

:rolleyes:

90'sNBARocked
01-21-2010, 10:56 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=721

Mike in Cleveland:

With all of the trade talk surrounding the cavs and you guys being the "expertts" Which one player can u see being in the wine and gold come february 19th. And if the cavs make a trade will it be only 1 trade or will it be multiple moves?

Tommy Beer:
Do I count as one of these "expertts" ?? I think that the Cavs will land Antwan Jamison in February. They will probably have to give up Zydrunas, Hickson, and a pick to get it done. But I think they get it done...

That freakin sux. Why dont we go after Jamison?

count55
01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Chat.asp?CHAT_TOPICS_ID=721

That freakin sux. Why dont we go after Jamison?

Jamison's contract is longer and more expensive than Murphy's, and we don't have any assets (expiring contracts, specifically) that Washington wants.

90'sNBARocked
01-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Jamison's contract is longer and more expensive than Murphy's, and we don't have any assets (expiring contracts, specifically) that Washington wants.

what about a trade of Murphy to Cleveland, jamison to the Pacers , and Big Z plus first to Wasahington?

tadscout
01-21-2010, 11:59 AM
what about a trade of Murphy to Cleveland, jamison to the Pacers , and Big Z plus first to Wasahington?

What's the point of us getting Jamison? It hurts our salary flexibility in '11 and he makes us older...

The point of trading Murph is to clear so more salary if possible w/o hurting '11... and gaining more young assets and or draft picks... Jamison does nothing to that...

Getting an older player like Jamison is the last thing a team that is rebuilding would do... unless his deal was expiring, which it's not...

90'sNBARocked
01-21-2010, 12:33 PM
What's the point of us getting Jamison? It hurts our salary flexibility in '11 and he makes us older...

The point of trading Murph is to clear so more salary if possible w/o hurting '11... and gaining more young assets and or draft picks... Jamison does nothing to that...

Getting an older player like Jamison is the last thing a team that is rebuilding would do... unless his deal was expiring, which it's not...

I see your point but Jameson still has a lot of game left and tremendous heart, but yeah he does kill the cap

vnzla81
01-21-2010, 12:36 PM
I see your point but Jameson still has a lot of game left and tremendous heart, but yeah he does kill the cap

I rather go for AK47;), his contract is two years also

count55
01-21-2010, 12:36 PM
I think watching this team can be helped with liberal doses of Jameson. Jamison...not so much.

dal9
01-21-2010, 01:00 PM
shoot if their contracts are the same length, I'd rather have ol' Troy than Kirilneko...he seems to have completely fallen off

tadscout
01-21-2010, 01:40 PM
shoot if their contracts are the same length, I'd rather have ol' Troy than Kirilneko...he seems to have completely fallen off

At least AK47 still plays D... :-p

90'sNBARocked
01-21-2010, 02:23 PM
I rather go for AK47;), his contract is two years also

Intersting, how come?

90'sNBARocked
01-21-2010, 02:24 PM
I think watching this team can be helped with liberal doses of Jameson. Jamison...not so much.

lol, nice

love that Irish Whiskey :cool: