PDA

View Full Version : Earl Watson gives back.........

Smoothdave1
01-18-2010, 10:41 PM
Pretty cool article about Earl and his celebrity game on Sunday:

http://my.nba.com/cms/Indiana%20Pacers%20Blogs/Caught%20In%20The%20Web

Watson just can't stop giving assists

January 18, 2010 • 12:00 PM
By Bruno • January 18, 2010 • 12:00 PM

Must be something about being a pure point guard. Earl Watson just loves to give an assist.

The Pacers' veteran helped organize the "Annesha's Angels Celebrity Basketball Game" played Sunday at Lawrence Central High School to raise money for the Annesha Wilson Memorial Fund. The Wilson family lost 5-year-old Annesha and all of their possessions in an apartment fire last July, the same month Watson arrived in Indianapolis as a free agent.

"The story is amazing how it happened but basically a young girl risked her life to save her family," said Watson. "It's a heartfelt story and I just wanted to get involved and help the family, put together some type of way to help build a foundation for them financially.

"Being in this community, anywhere I've been I've always wanted to take a leadership role and try to help any way I could, any way possible. Sometimes you hear about stories, sometimes you don't. You're not going to be able to help everyone with every obstacle they have to face, but as many people as you can reach and any way you can help, I think you should try to do your best."

Watson was the head coach for the celebrity team, which included actor Duane Martin, Tully Bevilaqua of the Fever, Boomer, Stacy Paetz and her brother Matt and Mike Wells of The Indianapolis Star. They squared off against a team composed from the Indianapolis Fire Department and Annesha’s family.

Watson has a history of community service, hosting youth basketball leagues in his hometown of Kansas City, Kan. Each summer for the past few years, Watson has worked with the city to open gyms and organize leagues for girls and boys from kindergarten through 12th grade. Last summer, there were 6,000 participants.

"We've done it four or five summers and it keeps growing," he said. "We get as many teams as we can fit into the gym for a week. My parents help me with it, they help run it, the city of Kansas City gives me the gyms basically for free. The main cost is covering referees and scorekeepers and the kids love it."

He also hosts a league for kindergarten through fifth graders in the Fall.

"As long as the people keep supporting it and the kids love it," he said, "I'm going to keep doing it."

MyFavMartin
01-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Nice to see some good Pacers PR and Earl helping out.