PDA

View Full Version : PG of the future ?

Wylder1324
01-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Ok so lets assume that we arent going to win the John Wall sweepstakes, and there arent really any other true PG prospects worth a damn in the upcomming draft.......lets also asume that although we all love Price (me included) he is more than likely a great backup PG for our first stringer of the future. All of that said, just for laughs who do you guys see as someone who is marginally realistic to either try and bring in here year after next when we have $, or possibly pull off a trade to bring in ?

Im not sure how realistic this is......but I would love to have Stephen Curry. Goldenstate is such a mess I cant imagine he enjoys it there and they have been throwing around all kinds of scenarios of being willing to part with young talent to get rid of bad contracts. On top of that, if they stick with Monta Ellis.....to me those 2 just dont mesh to form a winning team....but then again it is GS so who knows. Any other ideas ?

PS - Also wouldnt mind making a play for Rubio from the Wolves....

Sookie
01-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Currie's yet another one of those guys that 1.AJ is better than, and 2. He's not a real point guard.

Justin Tyme
01-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Ok so lets assume that we arent going to win the John Wall sweepstakes, and there arent really any other true PG prospects worth a damn in the upcomming draft.......lets also asume that although we all love Price (me included) he is more than likely a great backup PG for our first stringer of the future. All of that said, just for laughs who do you guys see as someone who is marginally realistic to either try and bring in here year after next when we have $, or possibly pull off a trade to bring in ?

Im not sure how realistic this is......but I would love to have Stephen Curry. Goldenstate is such a mess I cant imagine he enjoys it there and they have been throwing around all kinds of scenarios of being willing to part with young talent to get rid of bad contracts. On top of that, if they stick with Monta Ellis.....to me those 2 just dont mesh to form a winning team....but then again it is GS so who knows. Any other ideas ?

PS - Also wouldnt mind making a play for Rubio from the Wolves....

Devin Harris if the Nets win the John Wall Sweepstakes might be available.

tadscout
01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Devin Harris if the Nets win the John Wall Sweepstakes might be available.

They've said they want an All-Star caliber player in return for him in any trade... They feel it would hurt their ability to draw an Elite player like Lebron if they don't get another star caliber player in return in a Harris trade...

CableKC
01-17-2010, 10:47 PM
I don't think that we wil acquire our future Starting PG via a trade.....nor would we be able to get our hands on Rubio or Curry. Doing so would require that we give up assets ( prospects, or draft picks ) that we cannot afford to give up.

The reality is that I think that our future PG will arrive either by draft ( over the next 2 seasons )....or in the 2011-2012 Offseason via Free Agency.

sportfireman
01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
I believe we already have him........ he's already producing in his first year.

when roy and rush produced like this their rookie years they were deemed our starters for the future.......why not AJ? my opinion AJ's showing just as much promise as our other young guys.

remember he's a rookie still.......2nd round pick that should have been a first. the talents there, let him win or lose the starting job on his own before we take it from him.

cdash
01-18-2010, 01:04 AM
Currie's yet another one of those guys that 1.AJ is better than, and 2. He's not a real point guard.

:shakehead

MillerTime
01-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Beside Wall, there is no other PG that I would want in that draft.

I really like how Price has turned out thus far. I think a fair comparison for Price is Jack. I would love someone like Price as our backup PG

Sookie
01-18-2010, 01:26 AM

Seriously, he's not a point guard. He's a shooter, who has been on a good stretch lately, and isn't tall enough to be a shooting guard. He's averaging around 3 turnovers a game. Is not that great of a passer, is not that great of a ball handler.

Could he improve, sure, I guess. But there's no reason why AJ couldn't either.

MillerTime
01-18-2010, 01:37 AM

Price is not better than Currie
I agree, Currie is not a true PG...hes like a Bayless...has more of a scoring mentality

Kemo
01-18-2010, 01:46 AM
LOL... If any of ya'll are gonna give opinions on Curry , at LEAST learn how to spell his name right...

Your's Truly ....

Graham Arnatsi ;)

:dance:

OakMoses
01-18-2010, 02:00 AM
I like the Rubio idea. A top 10 pick in this year's draft might land him for us.

I think Tony Parker (an FA in 2011) is a realistic possibility if we're willing to overpay for him.

I also think it's entirely possible that Price could be the PG of the future if we land a significantly talented player (someone like Evan Turner) in this draft. It just depends if we're able to upgrade our other positions enough to where we don't need an All-Star PG to contend.

cdash
01-18-2010, 02:04 AM
Seriously, he's not a point guard. He's a shooter, who has been on a good stretch lately, and isn't tall enough to be a shooting guard. He's averaging around 3 turnovers a game. Is not that great of a passer, is not that great of a ball handler.

Could he improve, sure, I guess. But there's no reason why AJ couldn't either.

Curry is a really good passer actually, and his basketball IQ is fantastic.

I like AJ, but Curry is a better player now, and he probably will be a better player going forward.

MLB007
01-18-2010, 02:54 AM
In my dreams: Evan Turner - Ohio State
He's still learning the position but is an excellent passer and pretty close to unstoppable with the ball.
it's possible he'll play 2 in the pro's, but he may well make an all star PG too.
We won't get him either...........

Mourning
01-18-2010, 05:02 AM

Seconded!

Alabama-Redneck
01-18-2010, 06:53 AM
What about Chris Paul? If you hire Byron Scott to coach the Pacers, CP3 might be interested since he and Byron are very close.

:cool:

Gamble1
01-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Its going to take more than a coach, IMO. We would have to be on the verge of contending for a title.

Wylder1324
01-18-2010, 11:06 AM
First off Curry is nothing like Bayless IMO. Bayless dominates the ball and is a "Me First" type of player.....Curry is def a prolific scorer, but has shown the willingness in GS to fit into a system at the expense of his own stats. He is ag 5 assists per game I beleive, and thats playing alongside Ellis who is also hovering around in that area.....its a disfunctional system to say the least....we just think we have it bad here. All of that said as someone else said Curry is a VERY smart player, who has great handles and will be a great PG as the years go on.

As for AJ Price, I hope that he does become our PG of the future....Im just not sure that he has the tools to be elite......although, if we were to find a way to nab a guy like Evan Turner who is in many ways a lot like Brandon Roy in a sense that he has the ability to create on offense much like a PG it would eliminate the need for an elite level PG......look at how well Portland does with Steve Blake, who although I respect his game, he is a role player on most teams.

I like Tony Parker, in fact the Spurs are probably my 2nd fav team....either them or the Rockets.....but I dont like him with us when his contract expires. He is a player that relies almost exclusively on his athleticism to be the top tier talent that he is, as he gets older, which he will be doing once hes available to sign his age would start to slow him prob halfway into whatever contract he signs......I think youth is where we should be looking from here on out.......

On a closing note, I would def offer our first rounder to GS in exchange for Stephen if we dont have a shot at Turner or Wall.......I dont see anyone else in the draft that we need more than a guy like Curry. We could probably buy our way into the 20-30 picks if we wanted to target someone else, and we also have 2nd rounders so.....I would pull that trigger....unless that is Price just explodes once we (please) give him the starting job in another 10-15 games.

Sookie
01-18-2010, 12:17 PM
Price is not better than Currie
I agree, Currie is not a true PG...hes like a Bayless...has more of a scoring mentality

Sorry, I did mean AJ's a better point guard, not a better player. I haven't seen enough of him to say that.

Alabama-Redneck
01-18-2010, 12:29 PM
Its going to take more than a coach, IMO. We would have to be on the verge of contending for a title.

Without knowing what pieces we will have by then, the core+ could be a contender with CP3.

2 more years experience for Hibbert, Rush, Hans, Price, McBob plus Granger and maybe Dun. Add 2-4 draft picks and some trades, who knows.

:cool:

Dr. Awesome
01-18-2010, 12:30 PM
Rubio is highly unlikely.
Curry won't happen.
Parker coming here is a joke.
CP3 will never wear a Pacers uniform either.

The most realistic scenario I can see us having, is trading Murphy for Z's expiring, then making a run at Raymond Felton. Felton still has a lot of potential and would be the perfect PG for O'Brien as he ran a similar offense at Carolina. He is a big guard, a good defender, and a very clutch player - he hasn't lived up to expectations so far, but I believe he could thrive with us.

Oh and AJ Price is not better than Curry and likely never will be. Curry has an insane basketball IQ and is actually a very good passer. I think he got classified as nothing but a scorer because he was the only one who could score on his team, but I believe he was near the top in the NCAA in assists last year. Those assists were going to players who were not great scorers so most of them were due to his passing skills, not their talent.

I suppose I'm biased with him though as I went to High School with Stephen.

Sookie
01-18-2010, 12:41 PM
Meh, I think his skill set is a heck of a lot closer to Ben Gordon's than the typical pg. He's not a guy that, in terms of being a point guard...not player..I was impressed with.

KnicksRGarbage
01-18-2010, 01:45 PM
I'm definitely not a Stephen Curry wizard by any means but he is most definitely a shooting PG. if you REALLY want that just bring TJ back off the bench.davidson hasn't produced NBA magic ever, but yes it's possible. In his college career (declared after his jr year) he averaged 2.8, 2.9, and then 5.6 assists per game. A PG of the future better do better than that. He was 7th overall and aj was 2nd round. IMO there's nothing Curry does that aj can't. Plus Currys career high for assist is 13. The holy pg of future would scoff at that. CP3 sneezes and gets 10 assists!
Idk, maybe it's cuz he looks like an infant or maybe I'm just a big aj price fan...

PS you can have all the bball IQ you want but it doesn't mean you posess the skill set to be a star in the NBA. I.e. Great coaches who had rather sucky careers and such as players.

Justin Tyme
01-18-2010, 02:55 PM
does with Steve Blake, who although I respect his game, he is a role player on most teams.

Blake isn't flashy, but gets the job done. Denver missed him sorely after he left, and it finally took Billups to fill the void Blake left. Too many people think a PG has to be flashy or they are nothing. Blake is the prototype pass 1st PG, not a scoring 1st PG. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Blake in a Pacers uni just like I wanted Jack.

OakMoses
01-18-2010, 02:59 PM
If we did get Evan Turner, Price would be a fantastic Derek Fisher, Steve Blake style PG to go alongside a creative 2 guard.

Pacersfan46
01-18-2010, 03:31 PM
If we did get Evan Turner, Price would be a fantastic Derek Fisher, Steve Blake style PG to go alongside a creative 2 guard.

Those two guys can hit the 3. If AJ Price can somehow find the ability to shoot, maybe. I have grown to like him more over the time he's gotten some PT, but the man just can't shoot. He only takes wide open shots for the most part, and still is shooting badly.

He needs to work on his shot big time this offseason. I'm still confused on why he gets a pass as a "good shooter".

-- Steve --

PacerDude
01-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Those two guys can hit the 3. If AJ Price can somehow find the ability to shoot, maybe. I have grown to like him more over the time he's gotten some PT, but the man just can't shoot. He only takes wide open shots for the most part, and still is shooting badly.

He needs to work on his shot big time this offseason. I'm still confused on why he gets a pass as a "good shooter".

-- Steve --Maybe you're confused as to why the other guys are called 'good shooters'.

Blake - 41% shooter.

Fisher - 40% shooter.

Price - shooting 40% this year.

OakMoses
01-18-2010, 03:55 PM
You can't really look at FG% and tell who's a good shooter.

If you look at 3PT%, Price is shooting 35%. Blake shoots 40% this year. Fisher shoots 35%.

Price is also shooting the 3 better than guys like Wayne Ellington and Jodie Meeks, who were supposed to be great shooters coming out of college.

Reggie Miller shot 35% from behind the arc as a rookie.

PacerDude
01-18-2010, 03:56 PM
You can't really look at FG% and tell who's a good shooter.OK.

What is the preferred method to identify a good shooter ??

BillS
01-18-2010, 03:58 PM
OK.

What is the preferred method to identify a good shooter ??

"The guy not on your team" or "The guy on your team". Not both.

Pacersfan46
01-18-2010, 04:02 PM
Maybe you're confused as to why the other guys are called 'good shooters'.

Blake - 41% shooter.

Fisher - 40% shooter.

Price - shooting 40% this year.

In Blakes case he nearly shoots from 3 point range what Price is shooting overall. Blake also shoots 60% of his shots from behind the 3 point line.

In Fisher's case he hasn't shot well this year, but it's not out of the ordinary to expect him to shoot 40% from 3 point range on the year, and hit the important shots at the end of big games.

Still not seeing it. As I said, they can hit the 3. Price has yet to prove that he can. Watch his shots, he takes nothing but wide open shots. I've still seen him airball quite a few, and bang a couple off the backboard that weren't even close. I think his percentage would be painful if he didn't only take the open shots. Which is what you're supposed to do, but GOOD shooters can shoot with a hand in their face as well.

-- Steve --

PacerDude
01-18-2010, 04:11 PM
"The guy not on your team" = good shooter.

"The guy on your team" = bad shooter.

Got it. Thanks Bill.

34% for Price on 3's, 39% for Blake. 1 more 3 out of 20. Sorry - I still don't get the difference. 60% of his shots are 3's ?? I guess I would prefer a PG that is a bit more versatile on the court. No just another 3-chucker. The Pacers have enough of those already.

Pacersfan46
01-18-2010, 04:25 PM

Got it. Thanks Bill.

34% for Price on 3's, 39% for Blake. 1 more 3 out of 20. Sorry - I still don't get the difference.

Because you don't have any interest in getting the difference. Guess what? The difference in the NBA between the best shooting team (Boston) and #28 shooting team in the NBA (Pacers) is that exact same 1 shot out of 20. If you can't understand that, then you're simply not trying to.

The main point however is that Price's quality of shot is higher because teams leave him open, and he still can't hit a higher percentage of them than he currently is. He also misses some quite badly. Neither of which is indicative of a "good shooter".

-- Steve --

PacerDude
01-18-2010, 04:33 PM
Because you don't have any interest in getting the difference. Guess what? The difference in the NBA between the best shooting team (Boston) and #28 shooting team in the NBA (Pacers) is that exact same 1 shot out of 20. If you can't understand that, then you're simply not trying to. And that's indicitive of a good team ?? Ask Golden State, the Clips & the Kings how that shooting percentage thing works for them. And just how does Houston get by when they shoot so poorly ?? It goes a lot further than FG %.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but your argument just doesn't seem to make that much sense.

CableKC
01-18-2010, 04:36 PM
Blake isn't flashy, but gets the job done. Denver missed him sorely after he left, and it finally took Billups to fill the void Blake left. Too many people think a PG has to be flashy or they are nothing. Blake is the prototype pass 1st PG, not a scoring 1st PG. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Blake in a Pacers uni just like I wanted Jack.
I totally agree......sometimes what a Team needs is a PG that can properly run the offense the right way instead of a flashy/scoring PG. That is why we saw such a huge difference when JO'B finally decided to run the offense with Watson/AJ as opposed to Ford. A solid PG that can keep the ball moving and knows how to be the floor general for the Coach can do wonders for a Team.

CableKC
01-18-2010, 04:40 PM

Got it. Thanks Bill.

34% for Price on 3's, 39% for Blake. 1 more 3 out of 20. Sorry - I still don't get the difference. 60% of his shots are 3's ?? I guess I would prefer a PG that is a bit more versatile on the court. No just another 3-chucker. The Pacers have enough of those already.
I get the sense that Blake take so many 3s because Brandon runs the offense as much as Kobe does on the Lakers. If anything....Blake fills the same role as Fisher on the Lakers.....they both wait for Brandon/Kobe to create a shot for them and they wait for the 3pt shot. I think that Blake is a capable PG that can run the offense more then adequately....while having the shooting ability to shift over to be a SG that can hit the open 3pt shot ( as opposed to being a "chucker" ).

If we didn't have AJ or Watson....I'd easily want Blake on this Team running the point as a backup PG....he totally fits into JO'Bs style.

QuickRelease
01-18-2010, 04:43 PM
Is not that great of a passer<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-JyTIQq5H-g&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-JyTIQq5H-g&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Pacersfan46
01-18-2010, 04:48 PM
And that's indicitive of a good team ?? Ask Golden State, the Clips & the Kings how that shooting percentage thing works for them. And just how does Houston get by when they shoot so poorly ?? It goes a lot further than FG %.

Sorry to ruffle your feathers, but your argument just doesn't seem to make that much sense.

Actually, I'm sorry to "ruffle your feathers" but it's your argument that doesn't make sense. I said he isn't a "good shooter" and you're making arguments about how you'd rather have a PG that "isn't a chucker" or how FG% doesn't equal success in the NBA. You're spinning your wheels arguing points I never made. I simply said AJ Price isn't a good shooter at the NBA level. You haven't made any decent argument about what I said. You're too busy trying to disprove things I never even said.

You didn't even comprehend the point about Blake's shot selection. It was simply that his FG% is going to be skewed closer to his 3 point % because of the sheer volume of three's he takes. Which was in response to you comparing FG%'s.

-- Steve --

PacerDude
01-18-2010, 05:05 PM
Go back and read ....... and comprehend. My responses were direct to your statements.

But, this is a discussion that isn't going to have a winner/loser. You'll keep backtracking and bringing up other things when numbers show that an original statement isn't quite right.

It just really bugs me when people spew off things without looking at numbers ......... but I digress here .............

Carry on folks. :D

Infinite MAN_force
01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Tony Parker. I really don't think he will be in San Antonio past his current contract, and the Pacers will have all the money in the world at that time to make this happen.

Pacersfan46
01-18-2010, 05:21 PM
Go back and read ....... and comprehend. My responses were direct to your statements.

But, this is a discussion that isn't going to have a winner/loser. You'll keep backtracking and bringing up other things when numbers show that an original statement isn't quite right.

It just really bugs me when people spew off things without looking at numbers ......... but I digress here .............

Carry on folks. :D

The only responses you've made to mine were the FG% list, then I refute that and then you turned to how the small percentage difference doesn't matter. So then I show you that the "small difference" is the difference between the best shooting team in the NBA, and one of the worst. Yet you then turn to how you can shoot well and not be a good team. Where did I say that shooting % = being a good team?

Either way I looked at the numbers before I said anythin and even though their numbers are better than Price's that's not good enough for you, but numbers only tell a small part of the story. I've paid very close attention to AJ Price because of a debate I had with Sookie a while back about him. I will concede he's a better player than I thought and have been a bit impressed. That doesn't change the fact that he is NOT a good NBA shooter right now. In paying as much attention as I have to Price, I've noticed he's been given nothing but wide open looks, and can't hit them with regularity. A good shooter would be making teams pay for this.

You have not debated that point directly, except what I discussed in this post, and since then you've went off track. How do you get off talking about "spewing off something without looking at the numbers" when you aren't even aware that the difference between the best shooting teams, and worst is the same difference you're touting as not mattering? Especially when the numbers you provided included shots directly around the rim. Because we know Dwight Howard is an elite shooter with his 60% from the field, right? So according to your logic ...

Price - 40%
Dwight Howard - 60%

That means Dwight Howard is a better "shooter"? Good logic.

-- Steve --

Infinite MAN_force
01-18-2010, 05:24 PM
Oh, and pulling AJ Price's current shooting % and using that as evidence that he is "not" a shooter is rediculous. Beyond the fact that he is a rookie the sample space is very small. All one has to do is use your eyes to see that he has a very nice looking shot and look at his college stats where he shot better than 40% from three.

Pacersfan46
01-18-2010, 05:28 PM
Oh, and pulling AJ Price's current shooting % and using that as evidence that he is "not" a shooter is rediculous. Beyond the fact that he is a rookie the sample space is very small. All one has to do is use your eyes to see that he has a very nice looking shot and look at his college stats where he shot better than 40% from three.

The college three is closer. He certainly wouldn't be the first NBA player to be incapable of translating college 3 point shooting to the NBA. Also I wasn't the one who "pulled" his shooting %. These are impressions from watching a guy shooting wide open NBA threes.

-- Steve --

Pacersfan46
01-18-2010, 05:37 PM
This place is like bizzaro world sometimes. You can talk smack about all the starting players on the team and it's met with praise. Yet you say one bench player has one weakness in his game and it's the end of the world. God forbid you say something about McBob or AJ Price ..... but established proven starting NBA veterans like Troy Murphy is a punching bag.

This place makes no sense sometimes.

-- Steve --

pacergod2
01-18-2010, 05:38 PM
I would love to have Tony Parker's wife in Conseco every game. I think Parker would be a good fit for our team, but I think he may have too many miles on him to rely on for the contract he will dictate. It may be difficult to get him here as a free agent though.

I wonder what we will do with Dunleavy's Bird Rights once free agency hits. Do we sign him immediately after the free agent period begins on July 7 (or whenever) to a much smaller deal? This will effect our cap room position if we intend to keep him and have his free agent cap hold sitting on our books. Might we renounce him and try to sign him at the end of our free agency spending? This also goes for Ford, Murphy, and Foster, but I bet that Dun will be the only one here at that point.

PacerDude
01-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Price - 40%
Dwight Howard - 60%

That means Dwight Howard is a better "shooter"? Good logic.

-- Steve --WTF ??

Nice try. :rolleyes:

Price can shoot.

Hicks
01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Price is a streaky shooter. He's got the range, but you can't count on him to hit a high % night-in and night-out (yet?). I was encouraged to see that he's capable of getting hot down the stretch (@OKC, for example).

Pacersfan46
01-18-2010, 05:52 PM
WTF ??

Nice try. :rolleyes:

Price can shoot.

That is the exact same reaction I had to your stats, because they made just as much sense. You're really have a problem comprehending things here if you couldn't understand the point I was making with that.

Watch, now that I've brought it to your attention you'll pay close attention to him and see how many wide open shots he misses. :)

-- Steve --

Kemo
01-18-2010, 06:02 PM

+1

Not to mention the FACT.. that Price is indeed a ROOKIE...and has shot the "NBA 3" since when? June/July of 09 ?

While Blake has been in the NBA what 6 YEARS ??

I would think naturally , at this point in Price's NBA career, thathe would still be getting used to the extra distance in the 3 pt arc..

So it really isn't a fair comparison to compare any NBA veteran's 3 pt percentage against a rookie who has had less than 7 months experience in the NBA..
Even less than that if you are talking floor time.. seeing as how Price just recently started getting playtime..

Get back with me this time next season, THEN comparing percentages will at LEAST be a little bit fairer..

pacergod2
01-18-2010, 06:06 PM
OK *removed*. Enough is enough. Price is a solid shooter, but I wouldn't call him a great shooter either. He has surprised me that he has adjusted to the NBA three as well as he has though. Not saying anything polarizing there.

maragin
01-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Would order a Rubio Pacers jersey if that became a reality.

CableKC
01-18-2010, 06:19 PM
Looking at the available FAs in the 2011-2012 Offseason.....the only PG that does stand out is Tony Parker. He'd be 29 years old by the start of the 2011-2012 season.....so he'd be slightly pass his prime. I'm guessing that some 5 year deal sounds reasonable. My hope is that we'd draft our future starting PG over the next 2 seasons.....but he'd be the only Starting quality PG that would be available through FA.

At the likely spot that we'd draft in....likely between 8 to 12....there appears to be a huge dropoff in PG talent after Wall. If we ended up drafting a Big Man and then try again in the summer of 2011-2012, I'd be okay with that too.

Infinite MAN_force
01-18-2010, 06:31 PM
Eh... Price has been getting consistent minutes for all of 10 games or so. I just don't think there is enough of a sample space to make any determinations about his shooting. He could just as easly be shooting 60% if he was on a hot streak and it also wouldn't mean anything. My understanding was the book on price coming out of college was that he could shoot, which is mostly consistent with what I have seen. Most rookies are streaky anyway...

I don't think there is any reasonable comparison between a longtime NBA vet like Blake and a guy who has barely had less than 20 games played in his career. Price is somewhat of an unknown qauntity like any rookie, but he has shown plenty of promise.

sportfireman
01-18-2010, 06:46 PM
I'm just waiting in about 2 or 3 yrs when AJ shows a lot of you what he can do when he's our starting pg and running this team......... AJ will be a VERY good starting pg for us.

PacerDude
01-18-2010, 06:58 PM
Not to mention the FACT.. that Price is indeed a ROOKIE...and has shot the "NBA 3" since when? June/July of 09 ?

While Blake has been in the NBA what 6 YEARS ??Yeah, that's almost like comparing Sanchez to Manning. ;)

Sookie
01-18-2010, 07:58 PM
AJ will probably end up about a 40% three point shooter.

He's struggling for two reasons, he's rushing because the game is fast. And his legs aren't used to the NBA game schedule. If you look at his shot, he jumps very high. My guess is, his legs just aren't used to the schedule.

His senior year, he really jumped in three point percentage. However his foul line jumper was one of the best in the country his junior year, and pretty much the same his senior year. He's been pretty inconsistent with that as well, so that's a sign of "rookie-ness" imo.

cdash
01-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Check out Curry's line from today. Sick. He's really been playing well the past month+. I think lumping him together with TJ Ford in the "shoot first" category is laughable and it shows that you haven't watched Curry play much. He makes plays and good decisions, and he's a much better passer and a much smarter floor general than TJ.

Sookie
01-18-2010, 08:19 PM
Check out Curry's line from today. Sick. He's really been playing well the past month+. I think lumping him together with TJ Ford in the "shoot first" category is laughable and it shows that you haven't watched Curry play much. He makes plays and good decisions, and he's a much better passer and a much smarter floor general than TJ.

Very nice stat sheet.

However his 6 assists and 5 turnovers sounds more like it's proving my point..which is "shooting guard in point guard's body"
and does nothing to suggest that he's a "much better passer, and makes good decisions"

Can he fix that, Maybe. I suppose this is also a "what do you value in a point guard" question. But I remember TJ's turnovers driving us all nuts.

cdash
01-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Very nice stat sheet.

However his 6 assists and 5 turnovers sounds more like it's proving my point..which is "shooting guard in point guard's body"
and does nothing to suggest that he's a "much better passer, and makes good decisions"

Can he fix that, Maybe. I suppose this is also a "what do you value in a point guard" question. But I remember TJ's turnovers driving us all nuts.

It's not so much the turnovers that drove us nuts with TJ, it's the way he got them.

You are also nitpicking a rookie's stat line in which he delivered a 26-10-6 while make 50% of his shots.

vnzla81
01-18-2010, 08:53 PM
Hinrich maybe? what about steve blake? Felton? DJ A?

Wylder1324
01-18-2010, 11:07 PM
Comparing Curry to Ford in any way is laughable. They simply dont compare in any way worth mentioning. Also hard to take note of the amount of TOs anybody has on that GS team....they might as well be a streetball team at the rucker over there. Nelson has to be one of the most overrated coaches ever.

Sookie
01-18-2010, 11:26 PM
It's not so much the turnovers that drove us nuts with TJ, it's the way he got them.

You are also nitpicking a rookie's stat line in which he delivered a 26-10-6 while make 50% of his shots.

I'm not nitpicking.

My point about Curry (dang it I always misspell it) not being the best POINT GUARD of the future. Is about his handles and taking care of the ball, and decision making..which comes along with that.

I'm not arguing that, the 26-10-6 isn't a fantastic statistical line. What I'm arguing is that, the five turnovers shows my point. 5 turnovers for a point guard, is not nitpicking, if people are arguing whether the guy is a true point guard or not. He's 140th in the league in assist to turnover ratio. Worse than TJ. Could this improve. Of course it could, but right now, those stats don't support "makes good decisions, passes well, and good handles" they just don't.

All that being said, he obviously had a fantastic game. And I really am not arguing about whether he's a good player, I'm just arguing that he's not a true point guard. And btw, I don't think Evans and Jennings are either, but they are obviously going to be fantastic players. I happen to think that "good point guard" and "good player" aren't necessarily one in the same.

I don't wanna seem like I'm picking on the kid. I like him and root for him. But I have my prefernces for types of point guards, like most people do. And I think he'd be better suited for a Ben Gordon type of a roll on a team.

Kemo
01-18-2010, 11:33 PM
LOL... If any of ya'll are gonna give opinions on Curry , at LEAST learn how to spell his name right...

Your's Truly ....

Graham Arnatsi ;)

:dance:

:suicide5::suicide4:

:vaderno:

cchobot
01-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Per 48 minutes...

Stephen Curry
18.5 PPG
5.5 RPG
6.5 APG
2.75 STEALS
3.8 TO
1.71 A/TO
5.1 PF

AJ Price
23.9 PPG
4.7 RPG
7 APG
1.36 STEALS
2.7 TO
2.56 A/TO
3.7 PF

So...

PPG - Price
RPG - Curry
APG - Price
STEALS - Curry
TO - Price
A/TO - Price
PF - Price

Now... I'm an incredible "Homer" when it comes to AJ, but I'll be the first to say AS MENTIONED EARLIER, Price doesn't have the sample that Curry has. BUT, you've gotta play AJ enough to see what he'll bring.

From watching him at UCONN, and watching him in limitted action in Indiana, it feels like he's still adjusting, ESPECIALLY with his shot. I've actually been impressed with how many points he's put up shooting what feels like "poorly" by AJ standards. Other's who watched him in college can chime in here, but it feels like once he gets a little more comfortable and get's the 3 falling, and get's that little pull up in the lane falling, and gets guys finishing off some of the passes he's throwing them... I just feel, as good as the numbers have been, we haven't seen AJ play his best ball yet. And that could prove to be a MORE than adequate starting PG based on the surrounding pieces.

Now, I'm open to the fact I'm just being an incredible "homer" and seeing the games through "Husky Blue" colored glasses... But I couldn't be happier w/ the way AJ has played to date. Teams will adjust to his play, and he'll adjust to the league, it'll be interesting to see where he's at when it all shakes out.

cdash
01-19-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm not nitpicking.

My point about Curry (dang it I always misspell it) not being the best POINT GUARD of the future. Is about his handles and taking care of the ball, and decision making..which comes along with that.

I'm not arguing that, the 26-10-6 isn't a fantastic statistical line. What I'm arguing is that, the five turnovers shows my point. 5 turnovers for a point guard, is not nitpicking, if people are arguing whether the guy is a true point guard or not. He's 140th in the league in assist to turnover ratio. Worse than TJ. Could this improve. Of course it could, but right now, those stats don't support "makes good decisions, passes well, and good handles" they just don't.

All that being said, he obviously had a fantastic game. And I really am not arguing about whether he's a good player, I'm just arguing that he's not a true point guard. And btw, I don't think Evans and Jennings are either, but they are obviously going to be fantastic players. I happen to think that "good point guard" and "good player" aren't necessarily one in the same.

I don't wanna seem like I'm picking on the kid. I like him and root for him. But I have my prefernces for types of point guards, like most people do. And I think he'd be better suited for a Ben Gordon type of a roll on a team.

He's a rookie playing on a dysfunctional team too. Rookies are always prone to turnovers and mistakes as they learn the NBA game. Curry has such a great bball IQ and he seems as if he's willing to work hard on his game. He may not be the perfect PG option, but you are shortchanging his passing abilities and dwelling on his TOs a bit.