PDA

View Full Version : Hibbert at IU game!

pwee31
01-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Not sure if anyone is watching but Big Roy is court side at the IU/Minnesota game pulling for the Hoosiers!!

Great to see, great game, IU just won in OT

Wylder1324
01-17-2010, 07:16 PM
I love seeing this. Roy seems to have really embraced Indiana basketball. He seems to genuinely enjoy being here. To often you see guys in smaller markets spending most of their free time visiting larger markets but Hibbert seems to enjoy the small market just fine.

jmoney2584
01-17-2010, 07:32 PM
I think he is friends with Jeremiah Rivers from GU. Patrick Ewing Jr. was with him at the game if i'm not mistaken. Also in attendance, Rik Smits, and sporting a Pacers jacket to boot.

Trader Joe
01-17-2010, 08:16 PM
For a Hoosier W no less!

PaceBalls
01-17-2010, 08:56 PM
I can see why he would have an affinity with the Hoosiers, since they are the Pacers of the Big Ten :p

Coop
01-17-2010, 08:59 PM
I can see why he would have an affinity with the Hoosiers, since they are the Pacers of the Big Ten :p

Is that why they're tied with the almighty Boilers in the BT standings?

MagicRat
01-17-2010, 09:01 PM
I was at the game. Big Roy was really into it down the stretch, hopping around and yelling at the players. I thought he was going to charge out and bear hug Verdell Jones when he hit the shot with about 30 seconds left in OT.

PaceBalls
01-17-2010, 09:02 PM
Is that why they're tied with the almighty Boilers in the BT standings?

They are 2-3, 8-9 overall. I suppose that is a good record if you are from some po-dunk school, but we are talking about the Hoosiers here, anything less than a tourney bid is a failure and it will always be that way.

Coop
01-17-2010, 09:19 PM
They are 2-3, 8-9 overall. I suppose that is a good record if you are from some po-dunk school, but we are talking about the Hoosiers here, anything less than a tourney bid is a failure and it will always be that way.

All in good fun. I never claimed they were having a good season. I just assumed you were a PU fan since you were ragging on them.

pwee31
01-17-2010, 10:09 PM

Seeing that the program completely cleared house during the rebuilding process, won 1 game in the Big 10 and 6 games all together last year, I think they're doing fairly well. Let's not forget their leading scorer is out for the season, and best 3 point shooter is hurt as well

Not to mention a win over a now top 15 team in Pitt on a neutral court.

All programs have tough times, not just Po Dunk schools? UCLA is 7-10 this year... Po Dunk school. Arizona 9-9, it happens to everyone.

duke dynamite
01-18-2010, 01:35 AM
Roy loves going to the IU games.

Dr. Awesome
01-18-2010, 03:38 AM

No offense to Hoosiers basketball, or any of the fans here - but the Hoosiers have not been good for a while now. I'm not saying that won't turn around, I hope it does - but they haven't been all that relevent in the college basketball world lately. Like I said, I hope that changes, but I haven't seen anything to make me think it will anytime soon.

kester99
01-18-2010, 04:18 AM
No offense to Hoosiers basketball, or any of the fans here - but the Hoosiers have not been good for a while now. I'm not saying that won't turn around, I hope it does - but they haven't been all that relevent in the college basketball world lately. Like I said, I hope that changes, but I haven't seen anything to make me think it will anytime soon.

They're heavy with (really good) freshmen, with their top scorer injured / out for the season. Big Ten title before these guys graduate, IMO.

Unless they all go pro early.

IU_sears
01-18-2010, 10:02 AM
They won the Big Ten title in 2002 and were in the National Championship game that year... considering there are only 14 teams since that time that have been eligible for the same distinction... I would say that is pretty good. They were ranked as high as fourth in Eric Gordon's only season at IU, which was only 2 seasons ago. I don't believe Purdue has won a Big Ten title more recently than 2002, but I don't want to turn this thread into an IU - Purdue pissing match.

Secondly, the Hoosiers had the top freshman scorer in the nation on their squad before the knee injury.

Third, they are all freshman and sophomores minus Dumes trying to learn how to close out games. The Illinois game should have gone to the Hoosiers, but they have much too learn about being mentally tough at the end of a game. If that was the case IU would be 3-2 in the Big Ten.

Lastly, Crean is doing a tremendous job with the mess he inherited from Kelvin Sampson. He is such a positive man and influence on the team and university. This Hoosier team is not one to sleep on when teams visit Assembly Hall which may be the toughest venue to compete in in the Big Ten conference.

The Roy Hibbert connection is two-fold. First, he did play with Jeremiah Rivers at Georgetown in college. Secondly, Roy frequented pick-up games with the Hoosier players this summer to work on his game. It looks like Roy has taken a liking to the tradition of the Indiana program. I believe he made it down for a few games last season as well.

cdash
01-18-2010, 12:42 PM

Get out of here bandwagon blue.

chrisjacobs7
01-18-2010, 07:05 PM
I was at the game yesterday as well, great to see Hibbert there and great to see a win for the Hoosiers!

IUfan4life
01-18-2010, 08:00 PM
if only rivers could score, he might be a top 20 player in the nation

cdash
01-18-2010, 08:01 PM
if only rivers could score, he might be a top 20 player in the nation

He is a really atrocious shooter. I do not want the ball in his hands if the other team is going to foul.

IndyProdigy
01-18-2010, 08:34 PM
I work for media relations at some of the games and i was lucky enough to shake his hand at halftime. i also congradulated him on the awesome preformance against New Orleans and how much i loved how much his game has progressed.

The guys hands are HUGE. very humble as well.

imawhat
01-18-2010, 08:35 PM
I think it's awesome that Roy has committed to liking the Hoosiers. He could easily stick to Georgetown, but he's clearly trying to embrace the state of Indiana. What quicker way to become visible than courtside and 7'2" at Assembly Hall?

Huge two thumbs up.

Smoothdave1
01-18-2010, 09:05 PM
The Bloomington Herald Times (subscription site) had a blurb about Roy being at the game with Ewing: http://heraldtimesonline.com/stories/2010/01/18/iusports.qp-5990948.sto

Roy Hibbert, the Indiana Pacers center who knows Jeremiah Rivers well from their time at Georgetown and often played pickup ball with the Hoosiers this summer, happened to be only a few feet away. He pointed down to Jones and slammed a fist against his chest. Patrick Ewing Jr., the former Hoosier and Hoya, clapped and howled.