PDA

View Full Version : Tyler's vertigo

Anthem
01-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Is pretty weird. I'm assuming that's why he didn't get more burn tonight, although I didn't see the game. Can anybody confirm or deny?

Regardless, look at his lines since coming back. REALLY ugly.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/tyler_hansbrough/game_by_game_stats.html

I feel bad for the guy if this is still the result of that ear infection. In our last discussion, someone said it might take months to go away. Is that true? Regardless, his minutes continue to drop rather than increase.

Just seems like a bizarre way to lose a player.

DaveP63
01-16-2010, 11:14 PM
Inner ear maladies are bad ju-ju. Depending on how susceptible he is to ear infections, etc. It could be an issue for him. It will mess with you for a while. I'm glad that I outgrew those issues!

ksuttonjr76
01-17-2010, 12:30 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Last year, he gave Hibbert and Rush a lot of minutes, but he's barely giving Tyler any PT, yet Tyler has the higher "potential".

Cobalt_Colt
01-17-2010, 01:01 AM
I have actually had an ear infection that started a day after I heard about Tylers. It was bad for the first 5 days or so, but I'm still having effects from it hearing, dizziness and pressure.

IndyPacer
01-17-2010, 02:00 AM
He will just have to do his best until he's back to normal. He can make sure he stays fit until he is back at 100%.

Anthem
01-17-2010, 07:14 AM
I was thinking the same thing. Last year, he gave Hibbert and Rush a lot of minutes, but he's barely giving Tyler any PT, yet Tyler has the higher "potential".
Tyler's getting all the minutes he can handle.

Psycho T
01-17-2010, 09:33 AM
I was definitely wondering why he didnt get more playing time last night.. Maybe he plays until he gets a little dizzy and thats that?

Kid Minneapolis
01-17-2010, 11:21 AM
Viral inner ear infections do actual damage to the ear, and it takes your brain some time to "readjust" to compensate for the discrepancy. Ten years ago, I had a viral inner ear infection, could hardly stand up, and took 2-3 months for me to get back to "normal". I still have bouts of dizziness/imbalance once every few months that lasts for a day or so.

LoneGranger33
01-17-2010, 11:32 AM

I disagree about the "potential" part, but then again, I'm not sure what "potential" means with the quotation marks? If you're saying Tyler's more NBA ready than the other two were (or that his position is undermanned, either way giving him more potential minutes), there might be a discussion to be had, but if you're talking from a pure talent standpoint (potential to improve), I don't know, I kind of like Brandon and Roy better - and I think they've just scratched the surface.

ksuttonjr76
01-17-2010, 08:34 PM
I disagree about the "potential" part, but then again, I'm not sure what "potential" means with the quotation marks? If you're saying Tyler's more NBA ready than the other two were (or that his position is undermanned, either way giving him more potential minutes), there might be a discussion to be had, but if you're talking from a pure talent standpoint (potential to improve), I don't know, I kind of like Brandon and Roy better - and I think they've just scratched the surface.

Tyler had more accolades and achievements coming out of college than Hibbert and Rush. Naturally, I expected more production out of him. IMHO though, what I've seen isn't neccessarily bad, but I wish he would work more on getting quality shots instead of attacking the basket so recklessly.

MrSparko
01-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Steve Alford, Adam Morrison, and JJ Reddick beg to differ.

ksuttonjr76
01-17-2010, 09:10 PM
I think a misunderstood the thread. Are there reports stating that Tyler STILL has some form of an ear infection that's affecting his game?

Anthem
01-17-2010, 10:29 PM
I think a misunderstood the thread. Are there reports stating that Tyler STILL has some form of an ear infection that's affecting his game?
I'd sure think so. He's only played 4 games since coming back and in no game (including the blowouts) has he played more than 12 minutes. He's been bad in each.

So yeah, I'd say it's still affecting him.

McKeyFan
01-17-2010, 10:34 PM
Why did he get it?

Is he swimming for a work out so as not to aggravate the shin splints?

tadscout
01-17-2010, 10:37 PM

Umm yeah JoB said that even after returning to the court it can still be 3-6 weeks till he's back to 100% and over the dizzy spells....

ksuttonjr76
01-17-2010, 10:58 PM
Why did he get it?

Is he swimming for a work out so as not to aggravate the shin splints?

I gotten something similar, and I lost 90% hearing in my left ear and didn't have proper balance for like 2-3 months. It sucked, because it felt like that I could vomit at will if I moved my head too fast or in a certain direction. I could still play, but definately not at the high pace that I was accustomed to. I guess Tyler might be done for the season, or regulated to 8 MPG.

Anthem
01-17-2010, 11:26 PM
done for the season
I have never heard of a professional basketball player missing a season because of an ear injury.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's bizarre. Only on the Pacers could we even be discussing such a thing.

Naptown_Seth
01-17-2010, 11:33 PM
I guess my confusion then is why play at all? Given the nature of the issue it would seem to border on dangerous to be working in a non-controlled situation with lots of high contact jumping and off balance moves. A slight dizzy spell could turn into something a lot more serious in a hurry.

By the way, I noticed last game that he's wearing a compression sleeve over his right shin.

Everyone knows how I feel about his game, he didn't have vert for 4 straight years at NC and I haven't seen his game really diminished or altered much at all. Certainly no more than the aforementioned Alford, Redick or Morrison.

NBA ball is a different skill set which is why lots of elite draft picks don't lead their NCAA teams to a title. UCLA had 2 of the top 5-6 players in the same draft, plus 2 others getting regular NBA minutes, but didn't make the title game.

I called UNC for the title to start the season so I didn't doubt their ability as a college team, despite not liking Lawson or Tyler at the NBA level.

Anyway, the point of this part is that I'm not really sold that I'm seeing Tyler at a lower level. His jump shot the other night looked picture perfect by his standards and he still drew a foul as well with pretty much his standard pinball play.

What is it that you think looks different Anthem? Other than playing time which as we all know is totally at the whim of JOB.

Personally I think Solo looks more off his game lately than Tyler has on his return.

AlexAustin
01-18-2010, 01:20 AM
By the way, I noticed last game that he's wearing a compression sleeve over his right shin.

The same thing he's had the whole year, I thought you would have noticed it since you seem too pickup every little thing about his game from watching so closely.

tadscout
01-18-2010, 01:33 AM
The same thing he's had the whole year, I thought you would have noticed it since you seem too pickup every little thing about his game from watching so closely.

:laugh::dance::laugh:

ksuttonjr76
01-18-2010, 10:13 AM
I have never heard of a professional basketball player missing a season because of an ear injury.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying it's bizarre. Only on the Pacers could we even be discussing such a thing.

True that, but I can't think of the last time a player missed games due to an ear infection. I meant done for the season as in he won't get meaningful minutes to help develop/change his game. IMHO, he's getting those "keep him in game shape" minutes. The big picture is that if he's not healthy enough to play big minutes, then the rumored Troy Murphy trade could be nixed since, we don't have any real depth at the PF spot. God, I hope they do the Dallas trade to pickup Drew Gooden.

Anthem
01-18-2010, 02:03 PM
The big picture is that if he's not healthy enough to play big minutes, then the rumored Troy Murphy trade could be nixed since, we don't have any real depth at the PF spot.
Wow, I hadn't considered that. Bummer.

Peck
01-18-2010, 02:15 PM
According to Wells in todays star Tyler is a victim of Jim's fasination with "small" ball.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100118/SPORTS04/1180329/1088/SPORTS04/Wondering-about-Rush

Few minutes for Hansbrough
O'Brien's desire to go with a smaller lineup has put a pinch on rookie Tyler Hansbrough's playing time.
Hansbrough, who missed seven games with an ear infection, has played a total of 36 minutes in the past four games, including just four against the Hornets.

ksuttonjr76
01-18-2010, 03:30 PM
According to Wells in todays star Tyler is a victim of Jim's fasination with "small" ball.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100118/SPORTS04/1180329/1088/SPORTS04/Wondering-about-Rush

Few minutes for Hansbrough
O'Brien's desire to go with a smaller lineup has put a pinch on rookie Tyler Hansbrough's playing time.
Hansbrough, who missed seven games with an ear infection, has played a total of 36 minutes in the past four games, including just four against the Hornets.

Interesting. I never really thought Tyler to be "slow".

PacerDude
01-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Interesting. I never really thought Tyler to be "slow".Who said anything about slow ??

JOB's 'small ball' consists of either Murphy or Hibbert in the middle and 4 3PT bombers (I didn't say shooters :) )around the arc. Tyler isn't big enough to be the middle guy and can't shoot a 3.

IndyProdigy
01-19-2010, 01:30 PM
This is odd. his coach at UNC, Roy Williams, has been known to have bad vertigo.

hmmmmmmmmmm...:dj:

BRushWithDeath
01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
I've got it on pretty good authority that the ear infection is causing Tyler to miss this road trip.

My question is, why was he playing last week then?

Unclebuck
01-19-2010, 03:27 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20100119/SPORTS/100119022/Ear-infection-sidelines-Hansbrough

Ear infection sidelines Hansbrough

By Mike Wells

MIAMI – The Indiana Pacers will continue their season-long trend of being shorthanded against the Miami Heat tonight because rookie forward Tyler Hansbrough is not with the team due to complications with his inner ear infection.

Hansbrough recently missed seven straight games because of his ear infection.

“He still has that problem with the inner ear infection,” coach Jim O’Brien said after his team’s shootaround at American Airline Arena. “That’s why he hasn’t been playing as many minutes. It flared up yesterday so we kept him home to see another doctor.”

Guard Luther Head (ankle) said he’s doubtful tonight and center Jeff Foster (back) didn’t make the trip.

Call Star reporter Mike Wells at (317) 444-6053.

BobbyMac
01-19-2010, 03:41 PM
Oh my, I hope this is not a cronic condition. I have never completley gotten over my bout with vertigo about 10 years ago.

McKeyFan
01-19-2010, 03:43 PM
Seems a little unlucky for him, eh?

Unclebuck
01-19-2010, 03:50 PM
I don't have any facts or know of a study, but I think the % of rookies who have injuries, sicknesses - mainly injuries in their first first NBA season is higher than non-rookies. Not sure why this might be true, but I think going to the NBA is such a shock to their bodies it causes problems. (Like I said I might be imagining it all, but it just seems to be the case)

Psycho T
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
This has got to stink for him.. I hope this doesnt stick with him for years since that would hinder his development and probably not allow him to improve to whatever he could improve to.

Hicks
01-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Can anyone explain why "they" can't just squash an infection like this with some kind of medication?

tadscout
01-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Can anyone explain why "they" can't just squash an infection like this with some kind of medication?

I think I read somewhere that that type of inner ear infection actually does damage in the ear... so what you're waiting for now is for that damage to heal up.

Not 100%, but I think that's the just of it...

ksuttonjr76
01-19-2010, 07:22 PM
I think I read somewhere that that type of inner ear infection actually does damage in the ear... so what you're waiting for now is for that damage to heal up.

Not 100%, but I think that's the just of it...

Good luck...I'm still 90% deaf to this day, and the only way to fix it is by surgery. Personally, I'm not too inclined to let someone cut my head open for 15% success rate. Well, that was the success rate back in 1998. I hope that he has a good recovery.

Sookie
01-19-2010, 07:23 PM
That poor kid, out again.

Naptown_Seth
01-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Nope. I hadn't noticed, but then I'm looking more at the play at less at the outfits. Just caught my eye last game.

You remember the shoes and sleeves, I'll remember the plays.

Kid Minneapolis
01-19-2010, 08:22 PM

The "infection" is most likely long gone. It's the effects of the damage done by the infection that requires your body to "recalibrate" itself. Many body parts work together to maintain your balance... your inner ear (lotsa parts), eyes, muscles, brain, and nervous system that connects it all. It's very complex. From what I understand, it actually does permanent damage to your inner ear, and you only "rebalance" because your brain actually re-adjusts itself to the new inputs it's bein given, or something like that. And that process doesn't necessarily happen in a day or two. It's a multiple week/month thing for it to recover, and then... it can recur in the future.

I had it 10-11 years ago. The immediate imbalances at the time consisted of just mild to moderate imbalance at all times... I didn't have "violent" bouts of vertigo that made me fall down on the spot. It was just severely annoying and truthfully worrisome. It lasted for 2-3 months. And then those same symptoms recur every year or so for up to a week. I just learned to live with it, I know it's gonna happen, when it does, I just suck it up... I might avoid sports for that duration.

But all cases are different, some people have much worse spikes of vertigo, or higher sustained vertigo that makes them unable to perform athletic duties.

I guess it's hard to understand unless you've actually experienced it... but I can attest that it does indeed suck to endure.

AlexAustin
01-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Nope. I hadn't noticed, but then I'm looking more at the play at less at the outfits. Just caught my eye last game.

You remember the shoes and sleeves, I'll remember the plays.

I'm sorry Seth, Just for someone who comments on watching his footwork and vertical so much this year I though you would notice something that covers his entire shin sometime in the previous 8 and a half hours he been on the floor this year.

cdash
01-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Has anyone ever had an ear infection? They are awful. Flying really, really doesn't help it either. I got one on vacation a couple of years ago and and to endure the misery of a cross-country flight. It was torture.

BRushWithDeath
01-19-2010, 08:30 PM
I'm sorry Seth, Just for someone who comments on watching his footwork and vertical so much this year I though you would notice something that covers his entire shin sometime in the previous 8 and a half hours he been on the floor this year.

You can argue with his lack of catching a brace on Tyler's leg but you can't argue with his assessments of his play.

judicata
01-19-2010, 08:41 PM
You can argue with his lack of catching a brace on Tyler's leg but you can't argue with his assessments of his play.

Why the hell not? Seth's assessments of players are largely anecdotal and subjective to the point of whimsy. In regards to Tyler in particular, I feel he is often far off base, illogical, and plain unfair.

Anthem
01-19-2010, 08:49 PM
The "infection" is most likely long gone.
If that were true, wouldn't he be able to fly on the plane?

I know this is my second thread about this and I know it sounds silly, but I'm conditioned to wonder if this is the next big Pacers medical catastrophe. It fits the pattern... The silence on this is deafening.

EDIT: Here's the old thread.

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=49593

Slick Pinkham
01-19-2010, 08:50 PM
One of my favorite baseball players, Nick Esasky, had a promising career ended by vertigo that never left him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Esasky

...Esasky signed a three-year, $5.6 million contract with the Atlanta Braves, but was forced to retire after playing just nine games due to developing vertigo stemming from an ear infection.

As I recall, he tried coming back every year for a few years but was never "right" again.

a rare extreme, I know, but not unheard of.

AlexAustin
01-19-2010, 08:52 PM

We have no idea what Tyler can do yet he hasn't played one game without time restrictions and at 100%, also many of Seth's views on players are based if he is a fan of theirs or not, guys he likes will always get the benefit of the doubt while if he is down on someone that logic is thrown out the window.

Anthem
01-19-2010, 09:03 PM
One of my favorite baseball players, Nick Esasky, had a promising career ended by vertigo that never left him.

...Esasky signed a three-year, $5.6 million contract with the Atlanta Braves, but was forced to retire after playing just nine games due to developing vertigo stemming from an ear infection.

As I recall, he tried coming back every year for a few years but was never "right" again.

a rare extreme, I know, but not unheard of.

Wow. That was NOT what I needed to read.

Hicks
01-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Actually, yeah a lot of us can and have.

speakout4
01-19-2010, 09:20 PM

Flying is probably the reason he isn't suiting up. If they were home he could perhaps play.

gummy
01-19-2010, 09:21 PM

I know this is my second thread about this and I know it sounds silly, but I'm conditioned to wonder if this is the next big Pacers medical catastrophe. It fits the pattern... The silence on this is deafening.

No. Even if the infection is gone the damage it leaves behind can make flying very painful. I had to fly about a week after my ear infection was technically cleared up but I still had vertigo. Really sharp, intense pain. I almost passed out during takeoff. It felt like I imagine a stroke must feel. I seriously wondered if I was going to die when I was on the verge of passing out. Brutal.

I know that an ear infection, like sinus issues, sounds kind of lame as far as injuries go. But it's no joke.

BRushWithDeath
01-19-2010, 09:21 PM
Actually, yeah a lot of us can and have.

Which part? That he gets an inordinate amount of his shots blocked? That he's limited athletically? That's he's not an impact defender? That his scoring is predicated on free throw attempts? That his shooting percentage is bordering on atrocious for a power player? That he doesn't rebound at special rate? Et cetera.

Seriously, are not all these true?

Hicks
01-19-2010, 09:32 PM
I'm not going through all of it again, you can go back and read the threads if you wish, I'm done with it.

Kid Minneapolis
01-19-2010, 09:44 PM

Doesn't matter if he can fly on a plane, lol... if he's having bad enough vertigo, he can hardly stand up, let alone post someone up in the paint.

Don't focus on the infection part... he's got a long crappy period now where he's gotta regain his balance. Like I said, it's hard to understand unless you experience it. If you've never been dizzy for 3 straight months before... you oughtta try it.

I wouldn't call it a catastrophe.. he'll eventually get over it. I'm guessing soon. But balance issues don't resolve "immediately".

ksuttonjr76
01-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Dang...I hope Tyler is not going to be a waste of a draft pick. Not to sound selfish or anything...

Unclebuck
01-19-2010, 10:08 PM

As I have mentioned before, I used to have innr ear infections all the time and will still get them on occasion - about once every 3 years or so. Doctors always tell me when they look inside my ears that I have scars in my inner ear and that is from the infections. I don't really have vertigo (not that I know of at least) but my ears are really sensitive

Naptown_Seth
01-19-2010, 10:14 PM
Again, set aside my general Tyler concerns which are about his game, and a little about the shins once we found out how serious that was.

Why was he, or any player including Rush, McBob, Price still playing when he was clearly not fully recovered. It seems like a rather dangerous issue to have while playing a sport of athletic contact jumping.

Might as well have him spin around a bat and then try to ball. I mean props to him for being a gamer, but let's not crack a skull to be a tough guy here.

Hey, at least he didn't go down ala Griffin or Oden. It could be a lot worse.

Sookie
01-19-2010, 10:16 PM
Again, set aside my general Tyler concerns which are about his game, and a little about the shins once we found out how serious that was.

Why was he, or any player including Rush, McBob, Price still playing when he was clearly not fully recovered. It seems like a rather dangerous issue to have while playing a sport of athletic contact jumping.

Might as well have him spin around a bat and then try to ball. I mean props to him for being a gamer, but let's not crack a skull to be a tough guy here.

Hey, at least he didn't go down ala Griffin or Oden. It could be a lot worse.

It kind of suggests that perhaps..other players aren't REALLY ready to play..and that maybe our medical team is not opt to par..

Granted, the other possibility is easily that he's cleared to play, but the airplane might set it off. Or he's not completely healed.

Anthem
01-19-2010, 10:37 PM
Doesn't matter if he can fly on a plane, lol... if he's having bad enough vertigo, he can hardly stand up, let alone post someone up in the paint.
Nope, that's not it. He doesn't travel with the team, but he tries to play when it's a home game.

What's scaring me is that the Pacers are testing his ability to play through it instead of just waiting for it to clear up.

Hicks
01-19-2010, 10:40 PM
Nope, that's not it. He doesn't travel with the team, but he tries to play when it's a home game.

What's scaring me is that the Pacers are testing his ability to play through it instead of just waiting for it to clear up.

Well, the word is it "flared up". Why do we have to go :tinfoil: before we consider that maybe it legitimately felt better, then it went bad again? It sure sounds like that can happen.

I'm more concerned that it DID flare up again so soon, personally.

Anthem
01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Well, the word is it "flared up". Why do we have to go :tinfoil: before we consider that maybe it legitimately felt better, then it went bad again? It sure sounds like that can happen.
A legit point. I've been tinfoil for a while though. :devil:

Nothing to do at this point except ride it out. We'll see in a couple of months.

BornReady
01-20-2010, 12:01 AM
thats gotta be some ear infection...

lil lebowsky
01-20-2010, 01:52 AM
Yea, I'm starting to get a bit concerned. He's been out a while, is it really an inner ear infection or is it something else, God forbid. It's getting to be a bit weard now, as the weeks go by with little information

Unclebuck
01-20-2010, 08:52 AM
"Why were they playing" I'm always amazed at those type of questions or any questions about someone injury, health......First the Pacers by law have to be very careful about the info they give out on health and injuries. Second, each player heals differently, so we have no idea, maybe Tyler started feeling a lot better, and Wells in the latest article suggest that his inner ear got worse again.

For the life of me I do not understand why so many imply - something evil is going on here. With such comments like what is really going on, (I don't want to quote anyone here) but there are several such comments in this thread.

Why can't we all just relax, he'll play when he is ready to play

Putnam
01-20-2010, 09:12 AM
This Vertigo thread is hard to follow. Half the posts are about Seth's perception of Tyler's performance, and half are about the medical implications of ear infections.

Is it Madelaine, or is it Judy?

count55
01-20-2010, 09:43 AM

He played in New Jersey last Friday, so he must have flown with the team then.

McKeyFan
01-20-2010, 10:03 AM
I don't really have vertigo (not that I know of at least) but my ears are really sensitive

You have to get off the couch to determine if the vertigo has kicked in.

Maybe when you lean over to get a slice of pizza, you might feel something.

:zip:

McKeyFan
01-20-2010, 10:08 AM
This problem is exacerbated by Tyler's style of play. The guy jumps way high into the air, all the time, in an kind of controlled chaos kind of way. Otherwise he's driving to the hoop and getting pounded and falling onto the floor.

Not the best type of game to deal with loss of balance issues.

Anthem
01-20-2010, 01:12 PM
He played in New Jersey last Friday, so he must have flown with the team then.
Good catch.

count55
01-20-2010, 01:13 PM
Good catch.

Perhaps that contributed to the flare up.

Anthem
01-20-2010, 01:14 PM
For the life of me I do not understand why so many imply - something evil is going on here.
I don't think anybody's implied that something evil is going on.

Unclebuck
01-20-2010, 01:28 PM
I don't think anybody's implied that something evil is going on.

Evil wasn't the right word. maybe some are implying that something isn't quite "right" about all this

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-20-2010, 04:07 PM
I think people are just nervous because the Pacers medical staff has been questioned before, and this was supposed to be a "safe" pick, much safer than a Jrue Holiday or Blair. It was said earlier that the Pacers chose Hansbrough because they couldn't afford to have a lottery pick blow up in their faces at this point of the rebuilding process. I'm not saying Tyler's career is in jeopardy or anything like that (though that article above did put quite a scare into me), but people have good reasons for questioning the decisions of the medical staff.

BobbyMac
01-20-2010, 05:00 PM
I think people are just nervous because the Pacers medical staff has been questioned before, and this was supposed to be a "safe" pick, much safer than a Jrue Holiday or Blair. It was said earlier that the Pacers chose Hansbrough because they couldn't afford to have a lottery pick blow up in their faces at this point of the rebuilding process. I'm not saying Tyler's career is in jeopardy or anything like that (though that article above did put quite a scare into me), but people have good reasons for questioning the decisions of the medical staff.

There is no such thing as a "safe" draft pick. Less than 1/2 of the top 20 picks are EVER starters on a regular basis in the NBA, and every year there are several players who have medical problems that effectively end their career.

tadscout
01-20-2010, 05:33 PM
"Why were they playing" I'm always amazed at those type of questions or any questions about someone injury, health......First the Pacers by law have to be very careful about the info they give out on health and injuries. Second, each player heals differently, so we have no idea, maybe Tyler started feeling a lot better, and Wells in the latest article suggest that his inner ear got worse again.

For the life of me I do not understand why so many imply - something evil is going on here. With such comments like what is really going on, (I don't want to quote anyone here) but there are several such comments in this thread.

Why can't we all just relax, he'll play when he is ready to play

Thanks I agree completely....

I've just tried to keep my comments to what I've heard JoB say in a pre-game interview...

But some of this implying of ineptness of our organization is getting old... especially when we know so little of what goes on behind the scenes and what is actually going on.

Anthem
01-20-2010, 08:55 PM
Evil wasn't the right word. maybe some are implying that something isn't quite "right" about all this
There's got to be some point at which you (as in, you Unclebuck, not a generic "you") would say "Hey, I'm starting to get a little worried about Tyler's ear infection." Right? At some point you'd begin to worry?

So what is it? If he's not back to normal by March? April?

Anthem
01-30-2010, 12:56 PM
There's got to be some point at which you (as in, you Unclebuck, not a generic "you") would say "Hey, I'm starting to get a little worried about Tyler's ear infection." Right? At some point you'd begin to worry?

So what is it? If he's not back to normal by March? April?
Bump. According to Wells' article (1-30-10), Tyler's still out "indefinitely." No timetable yet? He's had this since Dec 27th.

Sookie
01-30-2010, 12:59 PM
Bump. According to Wells' article (1-30-10), Tyler's still out "indefinitely." No timetable yet? He's had this since Dec 27th.

well, they said it could be two months since it started. I think it's indefinitely because you just don't know when it's going to clear up.

So if he's not back by Feb 27th, then worry.

On the other side. I would think doing things like workouts with the team would hurt his ear. I'd imagine that would cause a lot of moisture in the ear which wouldn't be good for it..

Noodle
01-30-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't know much about the truth of this matter, but 3 years ago I had a similar problem with my ears. I couldn't work or drive due to the constant dizzy feeling. It completely distorted my equilibrium and it lasted for nearly 2 months. My problem was allergies and perferated ear drums, so I'm not sure if it relates precisely. I guess I just want to install some hope on the situation or provide some sort of time-table.

count55
01-30-2010, 01:05 PM

The last comment I heard was from O'Brien on his show the week before last. He said Tyler was diagnosed (when this started) with a viral inner ear infection, and they were told it was the type of thing that could last anywhere between one week and two months.

That show was on the 14th, and O'Brien related that Hansbrough had practiced earlier that week (I went to the Globetrotters on Monday, and saw him practicing with the team when we walked into the arena), but then came into his office the next day, very upset, telling Obie that he could see straight and couldn't get any sleep.

On the last show, IIRC, O'Brien said that he hadn't been told anything knew (regarding timeline), but that Hansbrough couldn't have any contact. He sounded genuinely disappointed, but simply didn't know when he was going to be back.

If it's viral, I think they're basically stuck giving anti-virals and hoping it runs its course sooner rather than later.

Once again, medicine still remains more art than science.

Naptown_Seth
01-30-2010, 08:01 PM
I really am sympathetic with him. Honestly as a guy that didn't like him as a prospect and hasn't been impressed so far, I don't want it to go this way.

I want him to get better and go out there and put it in my face. He can earn my respect easily, but not if he can't get on the court to do it.

And then the disorientation of it all, not being able to sleep and such. It has to be miserable. I don't get why they tried to play him at all. Does it come and go so much that he got to game practice level enough to be cleared to play, played a game, and then it came back hard??

speakout4
01-30-2010, 11:01 PM
The last comment I heard was from O'Brien on his show the week before last. He said Tyler was diagnosed (when this started) with a viral inner ear infection, and they were told it was the type of thing that could last anywhere between one week and two months.

That show was on the 14th, and O'Brien related that Hansbrough had practiced earlier that week (I went to the Globetrotters on Monday, and saw him practicing with the team when we walked into the arena), but then came into his office the next day, very upset, telling Obie that he could see straight and couldn't get any sleep.

On the last show, IIRC, O'Brien said that he hadn't been told anything knew (regarding timeline), but that Hansbrough couldn't have any contact. He sounded genuinely disappointed, but simply didn't know when he was going to be back.

If it's viral, I think they're basically stuck giving anti-virals and hoping it runs its course sooner rather than later.

Once again, medicine still remains more art than science.
Viral infections don't last this long and there aren't many antivirals because they have no clue what type of virus it might be. The problem is likely due to viral damage to the inner ear and balance problems that will take some time to repair.

count55
01-31-2010, 08:14 AM
Wells has a column on it:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100131/SPORTS04/1310350/1088/SPORTS04

Mike Wells:

Hansbrough came down with the inner ear infection in late December. He returned for four games but had to sit back down because of constant dizziness.

"That's when I realized it was more difficult than I planned," Hansbrough said. "This is the first time I've had an inner ear infection. To be honest, I've been pretty much injury free until this year. It's frustrating. It's the dizziness that's keeping me out."

A medical official said there's no test done to diagnose an inner ear infection. He said it becomes clearer to diagnose over time based on the symptoms, which include constant dizziness.

The infection can take months for some people to overcome because it goes away on its own and there's not really a medication given to cure it.

"The fact that I'm not taking part in any contact drills tells you where I'm at with things," said Hansbrough, who has not been flying with the team on the road. "I'm not putting a timetable on my return. We'll see when things start to clear up. If you're off balance, you put yourself at risk of getting hit."

LoneGranger33
01-31-2010, 08:28 AM
That really does suck for the kid. However, as a Pacers fan, with all the injuries and illnesses of the past five years, I can probably skip right ahead to year two of med school.

count55
01-31-2010, 08:50 AM
That really does suck for the kid. However, as a Pacers fan, with all the injuries and illnesses of the past five years, I can probably skip right ahead to year two of med school.

Yeah, they definitely need to get the Tiki idol back to its cave before the super groovy Surfing contest.

mildlysane
01-31-2010, 09:44 AM
Yeah, they definitely need to get the Tiki idol back to its cave before the super groovy Surfing contest.
Man you guys are funny! That's why I love this site. I wonder if Alice's back is gonna be alright...:laugh:

Hicks
01-31-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm still a little dumbfounded that there's "no test done to diagnose an inner ear infection" and that "there's not really a medication given to cure it".

To quote Dr. McCoy in Star Trek IV: "What is this, the *** damn Dark Ages?"

WetBob
01-31-2010, 11:34 AM
Here's a thought. If Tyler is so sick and dizzy that he isn't able to participate in non-contact drills, maybe he shouldn't be lifting weights and working out like a mad man every single day.

Crazy, I know, but it might be worth a shot.

Kid Minneapolis
01-31-2010, 11:44 AM
I'm still a little dumbfounded that there's "no test done to diagnose an inner ear infection" and that "there's not really a medication given to cure it".

Lol, go read up on the inner ear... it's not a simple "take a medicine and fix it" deal. There's moving parts, microscopic hairs, fluid... You know there's a problem with inner ear when you have massive vertigo --- that's the "test", the diagnosis. Of course there's other causes of vertigo, but doctors know what to look for. The fix is... your ear and brain and whatever other parts your body uses for balance (which is very complex) "readjust" to the changes in your balance, caused by the damage of the infection. It can take months for that to complete, and you may have recurring problems the rest of your life (like I do). I've said this like 3 times now, lol...

speakout4
01-31-2010, 12:53 PM
Lol, go read up on the inner ear... it's not a simple "take a medicine and fix it" deal. There's moving parts, microscopic hairs, fluid... You know there's a problem with inner ear when you have massive vertigo --- that's the "test", the diagnosis. Of course there's other causes of vertigo, but doctors know what to look for. The fix is... your ear and brain and whatever other parts your body uses for balance (which is very complex) "readjust" to the changes in your balance, caused by the damage of the infection. It can take months for that to complete, and you may have recurring problems the rest of your life (like I do). I've said this like 3 times now, lol...
Those microscopic hairs sense where you are in space. When they are damaged you are disoriented. Tyler is young so he should heal fairly quickly but one never knows....

Hicks
01-31-2010, 01:13 PM
Here's a thought. If Tyler is so sick and dizzy that he isn't able to participate in non-contact drills, maybe he shouldn't be lifting weights and working out like a mad man every single day.

Crazy, I know, but it might be worth a shot.

Is it contact weight lifting where some guy punches his abdomen while he bench presses or body checks him while he runs? ;)

I don't see a point to this. They're not contact activities.

Hicks
01-31-2010, 01:16 PM

If there's a virus, why isn't there something available to kill the virus before it causes further damage?

speakout4
01-31-2010, 01:29 PM
If there's a virus, why isn't there something available to kill the virus before it causes further damage?
There are a limited number of vaccines but viruses change so often that this is a problem. Think about just having to take the yearly flu and H1N1 vaccine just this year. There are also an enormous number of different kinds of viruses even for the common cold.

WetBob
01-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Is it contact weight lifting where some guy punches his abdomen while he bench presses or body checks him while he runs? ;)

I don't see a point to this. They're not contact activities.

I read Hansbrough's quote wrong, thought it said he couldn't participate in non-contact drills. My mistake.

Still, I don't think he needs to be lifting like an animal if he's got bad dizziness issues.

Psycho T
01-31-2010, 10:30 PM
I read Hansbrough's quote wrong, thought it said he couldn't participate in non-contact drills. My mistake.

Still, I don't think he needs to be lifting like an animal if he's got bad dizziness issues.

It may only act up when his body and head gets jarred. So lifting / shooting wouldnt really set it off but being pounded in the post probably would.

PacerGuy
01-31-2010, 10:45 PM

Ask AIDS why it won't die & you'll have your answer.

BRushWithDeath
01-31-2010, 10:46 PM
Ask AIDS why it won't die & you'll have your answer.

Magic Johnson says that's not true.

PacerGuy
01-31-2010, 11:05 PM
Magic Johnson says that's not true.

Not everyone can have a "Magic Johnson".
(Hell, I ask mine to do a card trick & it just lay's there - His can make HIV disapear!)

Hoop
02-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Not everyone can have a "Magic Johnson".

You obviously haven't seen the Greg Oden pictures. :D

hoopsforlife
02-01-2010, 07:59 AM

I don't think we are in the dark ages because, if we were, they would use Myrrh internally and rub some on the eustacion tube below his ear and down the side of his neck. That would open the ears so they could drain out and get rid of the infection. Plus they would give him acidophilus to boost his immune system.

No. No dark ages here. Move along now.

PS: Medicines do not work on viruses anyway.

PacerGuy
02-01-2010, 09:43 AM
You obviously haven't seen the Greg Oden pictures. :D
I said "Magic" Johnson, not "Majestic" Johnson!

judicata
02-01-2010, 01:19 PM
I don't think we are in the dark ages because, if we were, they would use Myrrh internally and rub some on the eustacion tube below his ear and down the side of his neck. That would open the ears so they could drain out and get rid of the infection. Plus they would give him acidophilus to boost his immune system.

No. No dark ages here. Move along now.

PS: Medicines do not work on viruses anyway.

You're just begging for a derail. =p

Brad8888
02-01-2010, 04:56 PM
It is a shame they can't figure a way to hook up the equivalent of a Wii controller with the enhanced motion sensing device to replace the functionality of the inner ear for balance and spatial orientation purposes. It would open up yet another market for Nintendo, too. ;) :D

Anthem
02-15-2010, 06:29 PM
So, our first game after the ASB is the day after tomorrow. To recap, here's the relatively recent Tyler news:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=50591

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=50705

Ten days ago, Jim said he wasn't sure if Tyler would be back before the end of the ASB, because at that point he hadn't even started working out. Figure at least a week to re-condition once he's finally good to go... probably more since he's effectively been out since Christmas.

If Tyler had started working out, we'd have heard about it immediately. The fact that he hasn't suggests that he's still flat on his back from vertigo.

For those who have been downplaying this, what was the date where I was allowed to start worrying? March 1?

esabyrn333
02-15-2010, 06:37 PM
Is their any perment damage that could happen from the Vertigo

SMosley21
02-15-2010, 06:43 PM
I'm fully anticipating reading a thread on here in a year or two about how an inner ear infection ruined the player that Tyler could have been and we could be playoff contenders if he would've panned out (or something along those lines).

BobbyMac
02-15-2010, 06:59 PM

I had an inner ear infection and vertigo about 10 years ago. I have never fully recovered from it. I still have times where I lose my balance a bit. Not enough to affect my normal life, but I'm not an athlete.

BornReady
02-15-2010, 07:00 PM
please get better tyler. youre making us all sad :(

Pacemaker
02-15-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm fully anticipating reading a thread on here in a year or two about how an inner ear infection ruined the player that Tyler could have been and we could be playoff contenders if he would've panned out (or something along those lines).

So much for that safe pick @ 13 over Blair :mad: We are doomed!

Anthem
02-15-2010, 07:28 PM

esabyrn333
02-15-2010, 09:02 PM

Damn, Caspi, Holiday, Blair, Lawson are all looking better and better these days....Damn

SMosley21
02-15-2010, 09:08 PM
Damn, Caspi, Holiday, Blair, Lawson are all looking better and better these days....Damn

Aside from Holiday they've been looking better basically the entire first half of the season.

Naptown_Seth
02-15-2010, 09:16 PM
:runout:

:dunno:
I really am worried like you are Anthem. Please no Haskin, please no Haskin.

speakout4
02-15-2010, 09:25 PM
So, our first game after the ASB is the day after tomorrow. To recap, here's the relatively recent Tyler news:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=50591

http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=50705

Ten days ago, Jim said he wasn't sure if Tyler would be back before the end of the ASB, because at that point he hadn't even started working out. Figure at least a week to re-condition once he's finally good to go... probably more since he's effectively been out since Christmas.

If Tyler had started working out, we'd have heard about it immediately. The fact that he hasn't suggests that he's still flat on his back from vertigo.

For those who have been downplaying this, what was the date where I was allowed to start worrying? March 1?
There is no reason to be overly pessimistic or optimistic. Everyone heals differently and he may be just fine with time. It's a matter of time. He surely will heal somewhat and judging from what has been said by others he could have episodic downtime. If he has this problem next season then it is a concern but most people do get over ear infections. It's not something that is rare. Most babies have one ear infection after another. I'm guessing this season is over for him.

Anthem
02-15-2010, 10:31 PM
There is no reason to be overly pessimistic or optimistic.
The Pacers handle really bad news a certain way. You saw it with Bender and with Dunleavy. Now you're seeing it with Tyler.

That's not a good sign.

Notice how we haven't yet heard anybody on the Pacers say that Tyler could be back this season? A good sign would have been "I saw a specialist and he said it would clear up in the next 3 weeks." Nope, he saw the guy in New York and it was "maybe by the end of the season." Bruno's post-ASB writeup doesn't seem to imply that Tyler's remotely ready to start working out, let alone play.

We've seen this dance before.

Psycho T
02-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Worst part is that this happened when it looked like he was starting to get used to the game.

BillS
02-16-2010, 09:55 AM
You know, it amazes me that, given the Pacers' luck in having prospects get freak conditions or injuries, anyone in their right mind would have had confidence that a choice of DeJuan Blair would have been anything but a disaster.

In hindsight, sure, but cut people some slack. If this had been an issue from Tyler's shin splints, even, then there's a point. But to have expected anyone to have predicted he'd be felled by an ear infection...?

There may be many valid reasons to have disagreed with the pick of Tyler, but using this as one of them is ludicrous.

Anthem
02-16-2010, 01:36 PM
There may be many valid reasons to have disagreed with the pick of Tyler, but using this as one of them is ludicrous.
Right. If someone was to say that the Pacers shouldn't have picked Tyler because of the ear infection, that would be ludicrous.

Remind me again who's saying that?

Naptown_Seth
02-16-2010, 03:16 PM
You know, it amazes me that, given the Pacers' luck in having prospects get freak conditions or injuries, anyone in their right mind would have had confidence that a choice of DeJuan Blair would have been anything but a disaster.Nice, totally legit logic here.

1) Someone continually makes wrong choices because they aren't good at their job

2) The magic anti-Pacers spirits doom the team

Yep, I can see how it would amaze you that anyone would overlook the lock-tight logic that is #2.

This just in, the basketball gods are against me because everytime I shoot a 3 pointer they keep it from going in. It's got nothing to do with my effort or ability and everything to do with being doomed.

There's no reason I should think that if I shot layups instead the basketball gods wouldn't make me miss just as many of those.

Maybe the reason the Spurs are "lucky" and the Pacers aren't is specifically because they do or do not choose guys like Blair and Parker rather than Tyler and Tinsley.

Since86
02-16-2010, 03:22 PM
And around and around we go!!!!

HOORAY!!!!

Naptown_Seth
02-16-2010, 03:32 PM
And around and around we go!!!!

HOORAY!!!!
I understand being sick of that, but Anthem and I were talking about Tyler's status and the Pacers history of BS about health, not about Blair.

Do you really want to go on record as standing behind the logic that no matter who the Pacers pick they are doomed due to the Pacers health issues?

Didn't Indy take Granger in spite of knee concerns? If Blair was doomed if he came here then certainly Granger missed lots of time with his busted knee his first 2-3 years too.

Oh, he didn't? You mean the magic gremlins don't always strike? I thought they were running the show.

Since86
02-16-2010, 03:49 PM
I doubt Bill was 100% serious that Blair would fall apart just because he was drafted by Indiana. I can't speak for him, but I imagine it was more a tongue in cheek comment.

Putnam
02-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Right. If someone was to say that the Pacers shouldn't have picked Tyler because of the ear infection, that would be ludicrous.

Remind me again who's saying that?

Dunno about the past and the present.

But I'm guessing that in the future "ear infection" is going to take its place along with Burlington Coat Factory, sinuspoutitis and "Let's move on" among PD's choice tropes.

PacerDude
02-16-2010, 04:26 PM
.......... But to have expected anyone to have predicted he'd be felled by an ear infection...?Well, there are some people that think that a good GM would have been able to anticipate this and have a contingency plan in place for it.

BillS
02-16-2010, 05:05 PM
I doubt Bill was 100% serious that Blair would fall apart just because he was drafted by Indiana. I can't speak for him, but I imagine it was more a tongue in cheek comment.

I think being drafted by Indiana has nothing to do with whether he'd fall apart or not. However, our history with known injuries makes drafting someone with that kind of risk a very bad gamble for us to take. A team that hasn't been burned can afford to take the chance.

In re: the somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment about unnamed people saying he shouldn't have been drafted because of the ear infection, there are to this day those who talk about Haskin (who was mentioned) as if it was a foregone conclusion he was a bust before his back went out. In answer to the comment about how people will say Tyler would have been great if this hadn't happened, I wanted to head off the other side of the argument.

Regarding word from the team, they're in a no-win situation. The press wants definite statements so anything they say that give a range of dates is spun as definite, anything they don't say is mooted upon, and there's no good answer. If they say nothing, they are hiding something. If they say something, it is torn to pieces. If they say they don't know, that's taken as clear evidence they do, in fact, know and just aren't telling us.

Putnam
02-16-2010, 08:26 PM
In re: the somewhat tongue-in-cheek comment about unnamed people saying he shouldn't have been drafted because of the ear infection, there are to this day those who talk about Haskin (who was mentioned) as if it was a foregone conclusion he was a bust before his back went out. .

This is true! I am one of those people!