PDA

View Full Version : HOOOOOME RUNNN!

pacers_heath
01-16-2010, 09:39 PM
How annoying is that? Is it really necessary to say after every single three? Couldn't they at least mix it up a little bit? If he only said it a couple times a game it might cool, but it just sounds stupid after every single three. Ick...lame!

Los Angeles
01-16-2010, 09:49 PM
You get used to it.

QuickRelease
01-16-2010, 09:54 PM
I actually thought they'd backed off using it so much.

BobbyMac
01-16-2010, 09:57 PM
I hope they never change!

Trophy
01-16-2010, 10:23 PM
I like when Reb says "From downtown" better, but "homerun" is classic.

I like it that he says DG for 3 now when Danny nails one.

DaveP63
01-16-2010, 11:08 PM
He's changed it up this year. It's not the same all the time.

the jaddler
01-16-2010, 11:32 PM
yeah kinda annoying....

Erik
01-16-2010, 11:34 PM
It's classic. I love it.

Mr_Smith
01-16-2010, 11:47 PM
When Granger hits a 3 he says "DG for 3!!!"

vnzla81
01-16-2010, 11:50 PM
is better than threessssssssy by quesyyyyyyyyyyyyy or whatever it was:suicide5:

chrisjacobs7
01-16-2010, 11:50 PM
Everytime I feel like saying, you realize we aren't playing baseball right? It's so annoying.

pristinecollector
01-17-2010, 12:27 AM
Yes, but the DG for 3 gets on my nerves even more!

Bball
01-17-2010, 12:49 AM
....Nobody ever gets tired of "Pacers win... Pacers win" tho....

ChicagoJ
01-17-2010, 01:02 AM
Welcome to 198x or whenever it was that Reb starting using that. You'd think that "In the Heart of Basketball Country" he would know that we're not playing baseball.

Didn't Jerry Baker use that during the ABA days, too?

duke dynamite
01-17-2010, 01:07 AM
I actually talked to Reb about that during the Fan Jam. He said he created it, back in the ABA days. Of course if you all didn't know the 3 was called the "home run" ball when the shot was brought to the game.

I personally feel that it's something I've always heard and will not like the day that it stops. Reb told me that he will continue to say it until he retires. He also said he'd charge whoever took over for him if they started saying "Two minutes...two-ah!", jokingly.

Getting rid of the HOME RUN call is a shot in the face of tradition.

joeyd
01-17-2010, 02:14 AM
OK, let's compromise. Let's keep the "home run" call, but ditch the "DG for three."

"We do not like DG for three. We do not like it, can't you see?"

Sincerely,

Dr. Seuss

Peck
01-17-2010, 02:54 AM
As Duke stated the three point shot was actually officially known as the Homerun ball in the ABA so it is not like there wasn't a reason to say that.

I believe we are not playing football either yet no one has a problem when we talk about fieldgoal %.

I can't stand it when Reb says anything but homerun.

However I don't have a problem with M.G. saying Trifecta it's actually a nice change of pace.

But D.G. for three is just God awful, almost as bad as Quisey for threesy or however the hell you spell that.

31andonly
01-17-2010, 05:20 AM
I actually talked to Reb about that during the Fan Jam. He said he created it, back in the ABA days. Of course if you all didn't know the 3 was called the "home run" ball when the shot was brought to the game.

I personally feel that it's something I've always heard and will not like the day that it stops. Reb told me that he will continue to say it until he retires. He also said he'd charge whoever took over for him if they started saying "Two minutes...two-ah!", jokingly.

Getting rid of the HOME RUN call is a shot in the face of tradition.

Does this "Two-ah!" - thing have some kind of background, meaning etc? And yes...DG for 3 is pretty bad!

pianoman
01-17-2010, 07:20 AM
:picard:

pwee31
01-17-2010, 10:38 AM
I enjoy it.. especially late in games.... (insert player name) HOME RUN!!!!

Pacerblue
01-17-2010, 12:01 PM
i like, "Ring the bell it's Diener Time!!!!"

duke dynamite
01-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Does this "Two-ah!" - thing have some kind of background, meaning etc? And yes...DG for 3 is pretty bad!
Many PA announcers have their own thing. This is what Reb came up with years and years ago to be his thing.

duke dynamite
01-17-2010, 12:25 PM
However I don't have a problem with M.G. saying Trifecta it's actually a nice change of pace.

The cool thing is that Grady is the PA announcer for the Fever games. His "trifecta" call and the "INDI-ANA" thing are all common during the Fever games. I'm cool with it.

DaveP63
01-17-2010, 01:51 PM
As long as we don't EVER have a "hype man" like that guy in Detroit, I'll be happy!

the jaddler
01-17-2010, 02:01 PM
it would be really nice to hear McBob for threeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jhondog28
01-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Hasnt this thread been discussed many times before. I remember last year this same argument was brought up. Seems to me that the Public Announcements and Announcers are the very least of our problems.

BillS
01-17-2010, 02:24 PM

See, and that one I really hate. A Home Run is at least a hit that gets you more points than a typical hit would, a trifecta has nothing to do with a triple score as such, it's just making three good choices in sequence at one time. A trifecta and a hat trick are more similar.

But, since I think MG is the heir apparent to Reb, we'll probably need to get used to it.

Roaming Gnome
01-17-2010, 06:25 PM
I like it all.... Some I like better then others, but none make my skin crawl every time I hear it. What is so bad about DG for 3? Did you guys whine like this when Reb started, "it's Miller Time" for Reggie's bombs? Even if you did, there was no place to complain so it went on and into our hearts.

Do what you do, Reb!

As for Mason in Detroit... It's pretty cool when you're there in Detroit and the fans are playing off of him. I didn't think much of Mason before being at a Pistons game, but he does bring another element to the atmosphere

cdash
01-17-2010, 06:46 PM
See, if we had a strong baseball tradition in the city (or the state), I could get on board with it. But we don't. We don't have a major league team, and I just don't like it. It sounds silly to me, and most casual fans who catch a game here and there that hear it think, "that makes no sense and it's really stupid". I'll never like it, and I'll always be moderately annoyed by the call, but it is what it is. "Two minutes, two-ah!" almost makes up for it though.

bellisimo
01-17-2010, 06:47 PM
is it only Slick who says Boom Baby? or does the arena announcers used to use it as well?

duke dynamite
01-17-2010, 08:36 PM
It sounds silly to me, and most casual fans who catch a game here and there that hear it think, "that makes no sense and it's really stupid".
Well, thank goodness for the die-hard fanbase then.

duke dynamite
01-17-2010, 08:37 PM
is it only Slick who says Boom Baby? or does the arena announcers used to use it as well?
Slick actually has it trademarked.

the jaddler
01-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Slick actually has it trademarked.

i think i will trademark....."MCBOB FOR THREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

by the way duke thanks for the tickets......enjoyed your seats.....

duke dynamite
01-18-2010, 01:33 AM
i think i will trademark....."MCBOB FOR THREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!

by the way duke thanks for the tickets......enjoyed your seats.....
You're welcome. Disrespect the HOME RUN call again and I'll blacklist you.

...kidding.

HC
01-18-2010, 09:25 AM
None of Reb's 3 point calls bother me. What does bother me is the basketball being played on the floor at times. Idk, maybe it is just me but I worry more about that type of thing.

Spirit
01-18-2010, 10:14 AM
Reb sounds awful saying anything but Homerun. For Threeeee sounds so cheesy, and from downtown is stupid because they ARE downtown.

BillS
01-18-2010, 01:21 PM
"From downtown" has been a universally accepted term for a long shot for quite some time.

kester99
01-18-2010, 01:46 PM
^^^^ I like that one.

They could even say something wild like...'Danny Granger with a 3-point basket!'

Hicks
01-18-2010, 02:23 PM
"From downtown" has been a universally accepted term for a long shot for quite some time.

Why? This isn't being played out doors. This is indoor basketball. The NBA has nothing to do with playing out doors. Don't they realize that? Stupid!!

BillS
01-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Why? This isn't being played out doors. This is indoor basketball. The NBA has nothing to do with playing out doors. Don't they realize that? Stupid!!

:maniac:

Peck
01-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Actually Kester brings up a good point. Why does it really have to be called anything at all?

Brandon Rush three point basket works just fine actually.

Roaming Gnome
01-18-2010, 04:31 PM
Actually Kester brings up a good point. Why does it really have to be called anything at all?

Brandon Rush three point basket works just fine actually.

That's the PA announcers call in Chicago for Bulls 3pt makes. "3 point field goal.... Derrick Rose!!!" I find it rather boring, but it's accurate.

BillS
01-18-2010, 05:53 PM
I really kind of prefer to hear the announcer at the game sound like he cares about the home team. I don't like over the top, but a little excitement and a unique call adds to the atmosphere.

BornReady
01-18-2010, 05:57 PM
i dont find it that annoying, mostly because we dont actually hit that many 3s, especially with respect to how many we take!

Trophy
01-18-2010, 06:02 PM
When Mike Grundy took over for Reb for a few games, didn't he say "trifecta"?

He did a good job, but I prefer to hear Reb and his homerun.

vapacersfan
01-18-2010, 10:08 PM
I miss hearing "Mark Jackson, Jackson HOME RUN!"

I agree that we should care more about the product on the floor then the PA announcer, and FWIW I do not mind Mason. I do not like the Pistons at all, but I love when a PA announcer can get a crowd into a game.

Maybe I am just living in my youth, but I love seeing a crowd get into a basketball game. I think the "Camron Crazies" and the equivalent should be the norm at sporting events, not an anomaly.

threein73
01-20-2010, 09:59 AM
I love it simply because it originated in the ABA. Of course I'll take anything over nothing, cuz that means the shot missed, and we have had way too many of those lately....

the jaddler
01-20-2010, 10:18 AM

um actually isnt conseco considered in downtown indianapolis.....so really i guess every shot is from.....DOWTOWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hicks
01-20-2010, 10:55 AM
um actually isnt conseco considered in downtown indianapolis.....so really i guess every shot is from.....DOWTOWNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Granger lays the ball in along the baseline*

Reb: Danny Granger!! FROM DOWNTOWN!

*Crowd looks confused*

BillS
01-20-2010, 11:54 AM

*Crowd looks confused*

What, because it actually went in the basket? :zip:

the jaddler
01-20-2010, 03:02 PM

*Crowd looks confused*

ok true.....well no matter what they say it should somehow inhance your experince!