PDA

View Full Version : Post-Game #40 - Pacers lose tight one to Hornets

LoneGranger33
01-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Subtitle: 0 Minutes for McRoberts ;)

We let it slip away a little in the third quarter, when our offense dried up and our defense followed suit, but otherwise it was a well-contested game. New career-high for Roy Hibbert was the highlight for me, but the system play was solid enough, I thought, to give us a chance to win. We just didn't hit enough shots or get enough defensive boards to do so.

Disappointing end to the streak, but certainly not a game worthy of a "fire O'Brien" or "blow it up, blow it all up!" discussion in my opinion.

dohman
01-16-2010, 09:09 PM
It's hard to win when your big three are wayyy off the mark. With that said we played hard and made it competive.

esabyrn333
01-16-2010, 09:21 PM
27 Pts for Roy I say thats a win no matter what the final score. Hopefully we can use this and build on it.

BlueNGold
01-16-2010, 09:35 PM
The better sign for Roy is his play is becoming more consistent. First time since the infamous, historic 5 game winning streak that he's scored in double figures 3 straight games. Obviously, this dude is a little better than David Harrision....lol.

Also, I love the way he is beginning to adapt to smaller front-lines. I think Phoenix was a good sign...

Kemo
01-16-2010, 09:35 PM
27 Pts for Roy I say thats a win no matter what the final score. Hopefully we can use this and build on it.

Amen to that:buddies::dance:

QuickRelease
01-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Watson v. Price in the airball derby...details at 11. :laugh:

QuickRelease
01-16-2010, 09:45 PM
One thing I noticed is that Hibbs doesn't get very many boards in traffic. West and Okafor were tough on the boards. But Roy was very active in the post. He just didn't get much help from the perimeter guys.

IUfan4life
01-16-2010, 09:50 PM

We let it slip away a little in the third quarter, when our offense dried up and our defense followed suit, but otherwise it was a well-contested game. New career-high for Roy Hibbert was the highlight for me, but the system play was solid enough, I thought, to give us a chance to win. We just didn't hit enough shots or get enough defensive boards to do so.

Disappointing end to the streak, but certainly not a game worthy of a "fire O'Brien" or "blow it up, blow it all up!" discussion in my opinion.

seems like this is pretty much spot on

Unclebuck
01-16-2010, 09:59 PM
I was very impressed with Roy and AJ for a couple of reasons. Roy because on the second night of a back to back he played with energy, enthusism and effort - usually his play falls off in the second of a back to back. Price - I was impressed with his defense, he defended Paul better in the fourth quarter than Watson did.

Overall, the Pacers while they played hard, they didn't seem to have their legs, and that was a huge reason why the shooting was so poor.

I still was encouraged by the Pacers tonight

esabyrn333
01-16-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't get to see many games mostly depend on this board and highlights how often if ever does Hibbert have help in the post? Does Murphy ever play in the post on either end? What about when Hans or anyone else in there?

Kuq_e_Zi91
01-16-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't get to see many games mostly depend on this board and highlights how often if ever does Hibbert have help in the post? Does Murphy ever play in the post on either end? What about when Hans or anyone else in there?

I think Murph's allergic to the post on offense. His post defense has been better as of late, though.

Hansbrough doesn't have much of a post up game either. He's better at facing up and attacking his defender, usually resulting in some flip shot or a foul. His mid-range isn't too bad either.

Neither are much of a post threat. Roy's the best we have right now.

imawhat
01-16-2010, 10:06 PM
The better sign for Roy is his play is becoming more consistent. First time since the infamous, historic 5 game winning streak that he's scored in double figures 3 straight games. Obviously, this dude is a little better than David Harrision....lol.

Also, I love the way he is beginning to adapt to smaller front-lines. I think Phoenix was a good sign...

That was the most significant moment of his career, IMO. That's when O'Brien realized Hibbert isn't a surefire liability against smaller, faster teams.

Dr. Awesome
01-16-2010, 10:32 PM
I find it really funny that Hibbert seems to have his best games against the best defensive Centers in the NBA.

Trophy
01-16-2010, 10:35 PM
They played hard throughout the game. Mainly Roy did. They got sloppy in the second half and didn't shoot well.

Gold: Roy Hibbert
No explanation needed.

Let's hope to get road in win Miami and give them some pay back.

McKeyFan
01-16-2010, 11:14 PM
I find it really funny that Hibbert seems to have his best games against the best defensive Centers in the NBA.

I think he rises to the level of competition.

In the same way, he doesn't have the killer instinct to dominate when he is against a lesser defensive player.

esabyrn333
01-16-2010, 11:16 PM
I think he rises to the level of competition.

In the same way, he doesn't have the killer instinct to dominate when he is against a lesser defensive player.

I can see this developing as he gets older.

BlueNGold
01-16-2010, 11:19 PM
I think he simply plays better when the other team doesn't double him. That happens to be when the other team has a strong defensive C they are used to relying upon. Basically, there is not a C in the league Roy cannot score on one-on-one. As a result, more and more he will be doubled...and his passing game to a perimeter shooter should be the #1 point of emphasis in practice. JMHO.

Kemo
01-16-2010, 11:21 PM
They played hard throughout the game. Mainly Roy did. They got sloppy in the second half and didn't shoot well.

Gold: Roy Hibbert
No explanation needed.

Let's hope to get road in win Miami and give them some pay back.

I DEFINITELY think Dahntay Jones deserves the silver

and
AJ the Bronze.... AJ would have at LEAST had 8 assists of the receiver of the pass, actually MADE the bucket.

BlueNGold
01-16-2010, 11:21 PM
That was the most significant moment of his career, IMO. That's when O'Brien realized Hibbert isn't a surefire liability against smaller, faster teams.

All JOb needs to do is find an athletic PF to set next to Hibbert. Shawn Marion would be absolutely perfect on this team.

Imagine this:

Price
Rush
Granger
Marion
Hibbert

Great defense to help the big fella

the jaddler
01-16-2010, 11:31 PM
Ok it was amazing seeing roy play with such force and power and with such great awarness. The first half looked great!!! good solid basketball....well minus murphy.

What was up with danny tonight and why does murphy continue to push is own team mates out of the way to get a board????

Sookie
01-16-2010, 11:35 PM
Not suprising they lost.

The Pacers are very perimeter paced. Back to backs and perimeter game is not generally a good mix.
Is this Danny's first back to back since coming back from injury? I think people really gotta give him a bit of a break. There's a healing time on the court that he needs to go through. He's looked more like himself, but just might not have been in game shape or completely "well" in order to succeed tonight.

Also, I'm happy to see that after getting killed by Nash, AJ had a pretty good game against Paul.

kellogg
01-16-2010, 11:57 PM
Hadn't been to a game in around a month or so and I must say that Roy looked much more nimble/mobile. He always looks like Gumby to me, almost clumsy, but tonight he had some really nice moves and one reverse layup I actually did a double-take as I couldn't believe it was him that made the move. Very impressed.

AJ also was impressive, didn't at all look like a rookie and played pretty good D vs CP3. JOB has this fascination with putting two PGs in (JJ and TJ last year, AJ and Earl this year) and I really don't think it works, I thought AJ was doing just fine. For a late 2nd round pick, this kid really has a certain confidence about him. If we got a shot at John Wall I'd take it, but in the likely event we don't, AJ really looks like he could take the starting PG position down the road.

Shade
01-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Jim's rotations (or lack thereof) were awful tonight. Other than fatigue, I blame him most for this loss.

cdash
01-17-2010, 12:28 AM
All JOb needs to do is find an athletic PF to set next to Hibbert. Shawn Marion would be absolutely perfect on this team.

Imagine this:

Price
Rush
Granger
Marion
Hibbert

Great defense to help the big fella

Except that Marion is a small forward, and he spends most of his time guarding wings.

duke dynamite
01-17-2010, 12:32 AM
Jim's rotations (or lack thereof) were awful tonight. Other than fatigue, I blame him most for this loss.
I say two games less than a day apart, playing really hard both nights caught up with us. You just can't see past your dark-tinted glasses. :cool:

cinotimz
01-17-2010, 12:40 AM
On a positive note, Washington and Detroit won allowing us to improve our overall position with respect to the lottery. (That may be the first and last time I ever refer to Detroit winning as a positive-that really is the most difficult part of this targeting a high draft pick)

Will Galen
01-17-2010, 01:14 AM
I say two games less than a day apart, playing really hard both nights caught up with us. You just can't see past your dark-tinted glasses. :cool:

Got to give Jim the blame for this one, the Pacers lost didn't they? Got to blame somebody!

vnzla81
01-17-2010, 01:29 AM
Got to give Jim the blame for this one, the Pacers lost didn't they? Got to blame somebody!

blame Jhon Wall ;)

PaceBalls
01-17-2010, 04:22 AM
That 3 game win streak was almost as good as the 5 game win streak.

Unclebuck
01-17-2010, 08:12 AM

what would you have done differently

cinotimz
01-17-2010, 08:16 AM

Continually call for Jarrett Jack and Jerryd Bayless to enter the game?

Play McBob?

:devil::devil:

Mr_Smith
01-17-2010, 09:26 AM
Granger had an off night. N.O. got alot of Offensive boards for second chances. Hibberts play was excellent from a scoring standpoint.

KnicksRGarbage
01-17-2010, 11:18 AM
I'm beginning to think a lot of ppl on the digest firmly believe Mcbob is the second coming of Christ. Sure I like the guy but this garbage about it being a travesty that he gets no minutes blows my mind. You could never convince me that we would have won had he played last night.
That being said, I was at the game last night and it was a good game to be at. Yeah we lost, but you saw the fans believe in the team. After Roy made Okafor look like a chump with that nasty block then Danny losing the ball, and Dahntay telling CP3 to get that weak shi* outta here back to back, you could certainly feel something in the air at CFH. I commend JOB for playing aj. But the Troy love affair continues. I watched him swoop in and literally push Brandon out of the way for a board. I think it's within the realm of reason to say it's possible we could have pulled this game out had Murph not gone/been allowed to go 2/150 from 3pt land. Just a thought. You can always spot when Troys about to enter the game, Roy must be doing exceptionally well!
Also is it just me or did it seem like something was off with Danny last night? Yeah sure his shot was off but I know he's working his way back and w.e but he started the game and came out just a few min into it. I also saw him twisting and stretching in discomfort while NO was shooting FT's. Idk, maybe the guy was just tired and a little sore from the NJ game.
Overall, good game I suppose. Props to Roy, AJ, and Dhantay. If we have to lose, I'd rather it be in this manner compared to the no fighting pounding by the Knicks.

Brad8888
01-17-2010, 12:05 PM
I made a mistake. I attended last night's game, and stayed until the end, hoping that we would stop jacking up threes and start playing fundamentally sound basketball, because I thought from reading several posts over the last three games that things had changed and there was better player and ball movement. Well, where was it? I thought I saw glimpses of it, but those glimpses were fleeting, and when seeing it stop so quickly for perimeter shots it may as well have not even happened for the most part.

I feel like I probably should have left resigned myself to the loss when I saw, in the first quarter, that our three point shots were coming up short and that there was little movement of players or the ball. I knew at that point that the game, for all practical purposes, was over and all that was in doubt was the final score because we would insist on shooting threes and not trying to get to the line with ball movement leading to quality drives to the rim in an attempt to both get higher quality looks and get to the line. Unfortunately, I was right, and it was depressing to see a game we could have won handily against a relatively flat Hornets squad be wasted due, once again, to no adjustments to the overall strategy of live and die by the three.

I was happy that Jim at least attempted to limit the damage by trying to pull Murphy out for short stretches when he saw him not making shots and having a difficult time defensively, but when all he had available to put in other than ultra small was Solo due to Tyler's health issues, so he had no choice but to have Murphy play.

It is time to let Tyler heal further (if he does have vertigo due to residual ear infection, that could mess with him for a long time, and I feel for him because he wants to play so much that it kills him) and, you guessed it, both dress and PLAY McRoberts! Yes, last night he would have made a difference, especially if he had played for 10 or 15 minutes in the blowout of the previous night as well during some of the 30 or so minutes that the game was under control. Murphy would then have had enough additional energy that his shots probably would have been more likely to fall, which is really about all that it would have taken to win this game, even if he didn't play better defense, which with better energy would likely have happened as well.

Imagine less three pointers, it isn't hard to do.

If we had actually decided that we were fatigued in that first quarter and had adjusted our strategy towards getting to the line. Our misses would have been fewer in all likelihood, raising our overall shooting percentage, and we probably would have taken a lot more freethrows. Perhaps we would have actually had some of the Hornets players in foul trouble, making it more difficult for them to play solid defense because of trying to avoid fouls.

Unquestionably, this loss belongs to Jim O'Brien (by about a -15 to 20 on a +/- basis) failing to adjust for the easiest to spot and adjust for issue that faces any basketball coach on the planet -- shots not falling due to player fatigue. When shots aren't falling, do whatever it takes get to the line, which is the most efficient way to score with the least effort and the highest percentage success rate.

And so it goes
And so it goes
And it will continue to, I suppose

Sookie
01-17-2010, 12:27 PM
I have to disagree a bit.

A lot of the three point shots *not all, some where bad* where really good, wide open shots. A lot of it coming through passing the ball to Hibbert, and Hibbert passing back. I'm fine with an "inside, outside" strategy. I'm also fine with a transition three. It's the threes that are forced up quickly and well defended that bother me.

pwee31
01-17-2010, 12:45 PM
The team is actually trying to compete now and the results have been positive. Even with our "big 3" having off nights, we had a chance to win this game, unfortunately we didn't, but I take positive that we could have and in my mind should have won that game. I don't expect many 6-29 nights from 3. If the defense continues to improve, so will the win column.

I also thought David West plays like he's 50. Not sure if it's his back problems continues to give him issues or what. He's still very effective, and has a beyond nice mid range game

KnicksRGarbage
01-17-2010, 12:50 PM
It's the threes that are forced up quickly and well defended that bother me.

cough cough*Troy*cough cough

I think I ACTUALLY could hear his thoughts last night being in CFH... At one point while watching him dance around the court staying near the 3pt arc I heard these words... "I don't wanna post up...I'm scaaared!" :D

Sookie
01-17-2010, 01:09 PM
cough cough*Troy*cough cough

I think I ACTUALLY could hear his thoughts last night being in CFH... At one point while watching him dance around the court staying near the 3pt arc I heard these words... "I don't wanna post up...I'm scaaared!" :D

Honestly, I think Dun and Granger are worse. Murphy doesn't shoot too many when he's not open. Dun and Danny just let 'em go.

the jaddler
01-17-2010, 01:24 PM

hey shade im pretty sure i ran in to you last night down stairs getting off the elevator.....wasnt sure so i didnt say anything

KnicksRGarbage
01-17-2010, 01:24 PM
At times I agree. Danny will at least try and make up for it on defense. I'm not a big mike fan, but w.e. And Troy on defense is like telling a tall tale. Troy playing D is like Paul Bunyan. It's a nice idea but it's never going to happen.

the jaddler
01-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Honestly, I think Dun and Granger are worse. Murphy doesn't shoot too many when he's not open. Dun and Danny just let 'em go.

ok now your are being plan riducolous. mike was playing his usual ball. we know what mike is capable of and thats what we expect from him. Danny played a really off game last night. also mike is not held up to such a great regard as murphy he just plan out stinks!!!! and is horrible for the indiana pacers.

Murphy was -13 last night with 6pts and 9 boards(but only because he was pushing is own teammates out of the way!)
Mike was -5 with 8pts and 4 boards

now you tell me who did more with less!!!!

duke dynamite
01-17-2010, 01:53 PM
hey shade im pretty sure i ran in to you last night down stairs getting off the elevator.....wasnt sure so i didnt say anything
He is the tall one who looks like a balding Jeff Foster.

Sookie
01-17-2010, 01:58 PM
ok now your are being plan riducolous. mike was playing his usual ball. we know what mike is capable of and thats what we expect from him. Danny played a really off game last night. also mike is not held up to such a great regard as murphy he just plan out stinks!!!! and is horrible for the indiana pacers.

Murphy was -13 last night with 6pts and 9 boards(but only because he was pushing is own teammates out of the way!)
Mike was -5 with 8pts and 4 boards

now you tell me who did more with less!!!!

I wasn't saying Danny and Dun were worst players, just that they tend to take those "quick well defended threes" more often than Murphy does.

DaveP63
01-17-2010, 02:07 PM
You can always spot when Troys about to enter the game, Roy must be doing exceptionally well!

My wife and I always joke about the same thing! "Oh,Oh, Roy's hit five out of six...About time for JOB to sit him for half an hour..."

BillS
01-17-2010, 02:19 PM

Shade took my wife's ticket and we agreed on this while it was happening. JOB stuck with the same lineup on the floor through a lot of the third quarter and most of the beginning of the fourth quarter. Never mind matchup issues that were occurring, coming off the back-to-back he needed to be bringing guys in and out so they could get some rest.

Infinite MAN_force
01-17-2010, 03:24 PM
I'm beginning to think a lot of ppl on the digest firmly believe Mcbob is the second coming of Christ. Sure I like the guy but this garbage about it being a travesty that he gets no minutes blows my mind. .

Methinks people are being sarcastic about the whole Mcbob thing.

EDIT: Except for Seth of course haha, even though I agree with him, but its not the end of the world. I hope Josh gets a shot at some point though because I do think he has some game that certain people just refuse to see for some reason. He is basically Chris Anderson with better passing/ball handling. Last time I checked Chris Anderson is a legitamite NBA player.

Naptown_Seth
01-17-2010, 03:27 PM
I was overall pretty pleased with what I saw, though we left mid-3rd to get to Lucas for the game. I can recap what I saw, but first this for your reading enjoyment.

MELTDOWN RANT

When you continue to see Solo struggle massively on offense, including getting up over the rim in traffic, this SHOULD be the subtitle. Enough already, it's just retarded. You have a capable, athletic big with better hops than Solo or Tyler, just showed you he can stretch the jumper to the 3, put up overall solid numbers for you over several games of quality minutes, and he's a ghost.

Freaking DIENER was suited up last night. You know, because of all the frontline depth.

Seriously I want to hear a non-laughable answer to the following question - Price is driving the lane with Roy sitting, Price dishes to "big A" and he goes up strong for the dunk. Then runs back and gets the block at the other end.

What player can that honestly describe? Troy? Solo? Tyler?

Cripes, DJones fits that better than those guys. So you're playing golf without a sand wedge basically and I'm sick of it. You don't need it every hole, but when you do it's nice to have it in the bag. Suit up McBob and when Solo is a disaster on offense and/or the other team is a little small, in goes McRoberts. Problem solved. 5 minutes later he comes out, Roy and Troy get big minutes, maybe you give Tyler a 5 minute hustle style burn.

Is that actually a bad thing in any way? Because they do have a problem trying to have Solo score inside, a major problem. Right now when Roy comes out you have almost no threat to the opponent's bigs and the offense suffers for it.

PS - if it turns out that McRoberts has big personality issues, is in trouble a lot, drunk, showing up late, or in whatever way unpleasant enough that you park his butt, then okay. I even understand why they wouldn't disclose this. But that's literally the only acceptable excuse at this point.

Otherwise it's just a silly waste of a resource the team is pretty short on.

Infinite MAN_force
01-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I don't know how anyone can hang this one on the coach, we lost because Granger and Dunleavy had an off shooting night.

Overall I thought the team played well. This team has finally found a semi-consistent rotation and the chemistry is improving every game. Roy Hibbert is also getting more consistent, Rush is rounding into last seasons form... I think we can kiss our shot at John Wall goodbye, this team is about to get on their usual run in the second half of the season. I just really hope they can somehow make the playoffs this time.

the jaddler
01-17-2010, 03:38 PM
He is the tall one who looks like a balding Jeff Foster.

he was wearing a hat....rememeber i have only meet most of you once.....

McKeyFan
01-17-2010, 03:42 PM
He always looks like Gumby to me,

Hmmmm. May be something to that.

Naptown_Seth
01-17-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm beginning to think a lot of ppl on the digest firmly believe Mcbob is the second coming of Christ. Sure I like the guy but this garbage about it being a travesty that he gets no minutes blows my mind.
Yes, because when we said "hey, we could use a quality pass-first, run-the-team type of PG" and there was one sitting on the bench getting 0 minutes we all thought he was the 2nd coming.

You know what McBob sitting is? It's AJ Price getting 0 minutes for the last 3 games. IDENTICAL. 100% the exact same thing. Price isn't an all-star and he's even taken too many shots ala TJ in a couple of games.

So what's with all you guys and your stupid love of Price like he's the 2nd coming?

I'm sick of the twisting of the McRoberts point. Not only that, but this is YEAR TWO. Last year JOB refused to play him on a team hurting so bad for a physical PF that they made their top pick a PF in this draft, and signed Solo.

You know what Houston does if they need an athletic big or more rebounding? First they look down their bench, see a guy that might work, and they give him 400-500 minutes before they spend a pick and FA money on fixing the problem. If he works out then you can use that pick another way, and if he doesn't you're still in the same situation you were going to be anyway.

That's part of this issue. Clearly there was and continues to be a need for what his game is, yet for some reason, nothing. You think "oh, so he sucks" but then he comes in and plays pretty good.

It's not the level of McRobert's talent that's in play here, it's the stupefyingly dumb refusal to use him no matter what unless Foster, Troy and Tyler are all injured, and even then sparingly. NO OTHER TEAM in the NBA would do that, not since Isiah Thomas quit coaching.

AND...we were seeing very similar trends with Roy, Rush and Price both last year and this. And we saw 2 years in a row a refusal to recognize the problems TJ was creating as the starter.

Jarret Jack had to tell the coach off and yell at TJ to get this changed last year. Jack got sent to the locker room that night as though he were wrong, but in the end he was dead-on.

So my level of trust and faith in the coach is low. He's earned the Jim O'Stubborn nickname from McKeyFan. Things are slowly improving now, and what we see is that when Roy, Rush and Price play the team is actually rather enjoyable to watch more times than not. The same has been true when McRoberts played, at least based on the crowd reaction to his plays that I heard.

Naptown_Seth
01-17-2010, 03:50 PM
I think he simply plays better when the other team doesn't double him. That happens to be when the other team has a strong defensive C they are used to relying upon. Basically, there is not a C in the league Roy cannot score on one-on-one. As a result, more and more he will be doubled...and his passing game to a perimeter shooter should be the #1 point of emphasis in practice. JMHO.
Disagree slightly. He's a great passer, despite some duds each game too, and the double team is a homerun for the team....until the guy catching it flubs the shot.

So say Roy is doubled a lot and reduces his FGAs but increases the passes. He sees a lot of those go empty, thus his stat box is empty and the team is going back on defense. Price is running into some of that two.

Example from last night, Rush made a great give and go cut baseline off Roy, great return pass by Roy, Rush flubs the reverse layup at the rim. And Rush is usually one of the more effective guys working with Roy.

Hibbert's passing is his best attribute and he might be the best on the team. He's headed toward the rather rare 5-6 APG center role, but he's going to need quality team players with him making the same reads AND FINISHING.

The team is blowing a lot of nice setups by both Roy and Price and that's got to get cleaned up.

Single coverage just pushes him toward "score myself" game which he is obviously capable of.

McKeyFan
01-17-2010, 03:59 PM
I can be fairly critical of JOB but I don't put the blame for this primarily on him. I put it on Danny and Dun laying an egg. (You expect Murphy to do that on one side of the court, and if he's hitting on offense, it's just gravy.)

However, I do have one bone to pick with JOB. We started a run, gaining momentum, got within three at around 1:30 left in the third, IIRC. That run was led by Roy, then JOB subs Murphy for Roy and we quickly go down by seven.

Unless Roy was really winded, that was a terrible substitution.

CableKC
01-17-2010, 05:15 PM
I can be fairly critical of JOB but I don't put the blame for this primarily on him. I put it on Danny and Dun laying an egg. (You expect Murphy to do that on one side of the court, and if he's hitting on offense, it's just gravy.)

However, I do have one bone to pick with JOB. We started a run, gaining momentum, got within three at around 1:30 left in the third, IIRC. That run was led by Roy, then JOB subs Murphy for Roy and we quickly go down by seven.

Someone is going to have to confirm if Hibbert was in foul trouble as well......but what you just described is on par with what JO'S has done throughout the season. I'm guessing that there is some justification for it on his end....but I have no clue why that is.

jhondog28
01-17-2010, 05:47 PM
OK I might not be as vocal as Seth is on the issue of McRoberts but I 100% agree. From the games I have seen Josh play he plays well. But unlike most everyone else on the team or in the NBA for that matter he does not earn more playing time. It almost looks as if he plays well and then gets sat at the end of the bench as if JOB is telling him "hey bud thanks for getting better everytime you step on the court but you and I both know you ae nothing but a roster filler and so as soon as we get other people healthier we are just gonna sit you down at the end of the bench." He deserves a fair shake. He has earned more playing time. 0 minutes for what he has doen for the team is ridiculous. If nothing else he should be playing ahead of Solomon Jones.

PaceBalls
01-17-2010, 08:32 PM
Well, one thing about McBob, if you compare Tyler, post ear infection, and McBob before Murph came back, McBob completely outplayed Hasbrough.

Hansbrough has looked completely lost out on the court since he returned. He is messing up the offense by not knowing where he is supposed to be. He seems to be uncertain whether to set a pick, try to get low post position or high post position. He ends up making junk plays because the offense halts with his screwing up the flow, and even those junk plays are usually a brick jumpshot, or a wild half hook heave hoping for a foul. Seriously ugly stuff.

He does crash the boards well, I like that. And he still has his knack to get to the line, ugly as it may be. But McBob looks like he was the much better player between the two recently.

tadscout
01-17-2010, 10:33 PM
Well, one thing about McBob, if you compare Tyler, post ear infection, and McBob before Murph came back, McBob completely outplayed Hasbrough.

Hansbrough has looked completely lost out on the court since he returned. He is messing up the offense by not knowing where he is supposed to be. He seems to be uncertain whether to set a pick, try to get low post position or high post position. He ends up making junk plays because the offense halts with his screwing up the flow, and even those junk plays are usually a brick jumpshot, or a wild half hook heave hoping for a foul. Seriously ugly stuff.

He does crash the boards well, I like that. And he still has his knack to get to the line, ugly as it may be. But McBob looks like he was the much better player between the two recently.

Do you not understand that Tyler is till suffering from the vertigo/side effects of the viral ear infection? Just about every players production would suffer from that... it can be a 2-6 weeks till he's back to full strength.

If you want to to evaluate Tyler as a player look at the games before he went out with the inner ear infection...

(Tyler is the better player he's just clearly not able to play at 100% right now... and yes I like Mcbob, and like I've said before if you complain about someone getting playing time over him I think Solo is the one to point at (it's sad when 40 yr old Grant Hill can push you around like you're nothing, and you're supposed to be the presence on the inside off the bench? enough said (and yes an observation from a previous game))...

the jaddler
01-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Do you not understand that Tyler is till suffering from the vertigo/side effects of the viral ear infection? Just about every players production would suffer from that... it can be a 2-6 weeks till he's back to full strength.

If you want to to evaluate Tyler as a player look at the games before he went out with the inner ear infection...

(Tyler is the better player he's just clearly not able to play at 100% right now... and yes I like Mcbob, and like I've said before if you complain about someone getting playing time over him I think Solo is the one to point at (it's sad when 40 yr old Grant Hill can push you around like you're nothing, and you're supposed to be the presence on the inside off the bench? enough said (and yes an observation from a previous game))...

if he isnt a 100% then he shouldnt be playing espically when we have other players capable!

Anthem
01-17-2010, 11:30 PM
if he isnt a 100% then he shouldnt be playing espically when we have other players capable!
Zactly. I'm not mad at Tyler for getting an ear infection. If the dude's not all the way back then he's not all the way back.

But if he's not ready, then give his minutes to McBob.

MagicRat
01-18-2010, 12:41 AM
Josh needs to add Jim O'Brien to his wolfpack.....

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/D0vran9ruQs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/D0vran9ruQs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OakMoses
01-18-2010, 02:18 AM

Hibbert had played the first 10.5 minutes of the 3rd quarter. That's a very long stretch for anyone, much less a guy like Hibbert, especially with all the banging he was doing with Okafor down low.

I agree with Shade and BillS that O'Brien should have made a lineup switch earlier in the 3rd quarter. At certain times it becomes very apparent that the starting unit is not getting it done. Often throwing in a couple different players (Dunleavy, Price, and Dahntay seem to be good at this) jumpstarts the offense a bit. O'Brien stuck with the starting about 2 minutes too long. The worst to me was not subbing after the timeout.

One thing O'Brien has been doing the past couple games that I really like is subbing in one or two players at a time instead of the line change mentality of earlier in the season. If we're willing to play without two true bigs on the floor, this team has a lot of interchangeable parts and is actually fairly deep. It just makes more sense to me to give guys shorter segments of PT and more frequent rest periods to keep them fresh and allow them to give max effort whenever they're on the court.

I'm definitely on the McBob > Solo bandwagon. I have been for a while. Though it's a bit of a moot point if/when Foster comes back.

I like Luther Head, but I'm certainly not upset to have him out with an injury. He hasn't really played well in the past few games and Rush and Dahntay give you a lot more of an all-around game than Head.