PDA

View Full Version : Shawne Williams indicted, arrested on drug charges

Speed
01-15-2010, 06:32 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jan/15/nba-player-former-memphis-tiger-shawne-williams-ar/

Former Memphis Tiger Shawne Williams indicted, arrested on drug charges

He was waived by the NBA's New Jersey Nets today

By Hank Dudding (http://pacersdigest.com/staff/hank-dudding/)
Posted January 15, 2010 at 4:25 p.m. , updated January 15, 2010 at 4:46 p.m.
Former Memphis Tigers basketball player Shawne Williams, who was waived by the NBA's New Jersey Nets today, was indicted by a Shelby County Grand Jury on Tuesday on eight drug charges.

According to the Shelby County District Attorney's office, Williams was indicted on four counts of possession of a controlled substance with intent to manufacture/deliver/sell, and four counts of conspiracy to manufacture/deliver/sell a controlled substance, a codeine-based syrup. Both are considered Class E felonies and carry standard sentences of 1-2 years, if convicted.

Williams turned himself into authorities and was booked today into the Shelby County Jail. His bond has been set at $16,000. He is one of 24 defendants indicted following the Memphis Police Department's "Operation: Lockdown" investigation.

Williams' case is assigned to Criminal Court Division 10, but no arraignment date has been scheduled.

A native of Memphis, Williams played with the University of Memphis in the 2005-06 season, then declared for the NBA draft. Williams was selected by Indiana. With the Tigers, he was named to numerous freshman All-America teams

BlueNGold
01-15-2010, 06:48 PM
Former Pacer Shawne Williams...

What a tragedy. What a waste. He's done.

Roaming Gnome
01-15-2010, 06:53 PM
Hot potato... Glad he didn't end up with us, THIS TIME!

cdash
01-15-2010, 06:58 PM
I couldn't be more shocked by this news.

MillerTime
01-15-2010, 07:00 PM
WWOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

thats really all I can say

DaveP63
01-15-2010, 07:21 PM
That's a shame. I hope he can get it turned around in the future...

Sparhawk
01-15-2010, 07:33 PM
Color me shocked.

It depresses me that players throw away talent, cause he could have been good. David Harrison could have been good.

Just a waste of talent. I do hope these guys figure it out and get their lives together.

Tom White
01-15-2010, 07:38 PM

First off, this is not really aimed at you Dave.

But...

That is what people have said over and over since his first problems arose.

I remember so many people kept on saying he didn't really do anything that bad, or it was just immaturity, or just his friends and not him, or even up to the accusation that the police were "profiling" him.

My take? The guy is simply a bad egg and a moron. I am so glad he is not with the Pacers anymore that I can't even express how happy I am that he is long gone.

Bball
01-15-2010, 07:54 PM
That didn't take long....

memories....
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=48812

The Mavs, much like the Pacers, quickly became disenchanted by Williams' lifestyle off the court.

Mavs security personnel and Dallas law enforcement began to warn the organization about Williams' personal behavior.

Williams downplayed his social life and insisted he was always ready to perform.

"A lot of stuff I did three years ago, I won't do right now," Williams said. "You get older and grow up. That's life. I had a lot of problems when I first got into the NBA but I was young. I feel like I haven't gotten into any trouble not to be on the court. I'm finally not getting into trouble and I'm not on the court. That's mind-boggling."

IndyPacer
01-15-2010, 07:56 PM

I don't. This isn't the first time he's exhibited horrible judgement. He's done. I honestly hope this is the last time I ever hear about him. He wanted to live the type of lifestyle he's living, so let him do it out of the NBA and away from the public (and in prison). Serves him right.

McKeyFan
01-15-2010, 07:58 PM
That didn't take long....

memories....
http://www.pacersdigest.com/showthread.php?t=48812

I agree.

Playing devil's advocate: could it be that he quit but these indictments are related to previous behavior?

ChicagoJ
01-15-2010, 07:59 PM
He's an criminal with criminal friends and an okay jump shot. Big whoop.

Bball
01-15-2010, 08:03 PM
I agree.

Playing devil's advocate: could it be that he quit but these indictments are related to previous behavior?

That would suck...

But then it's more likely, if he quit, it's because he knew he was about to get busted.

Los Angeles
01-15-2010, 09:00 PM
I couldn't be more shocked by this news.

Why are people using green text like this lately? Does it denote sacasm? I don't get it.

Erik
01-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Why are people using green text like this lately? Does it denote sacasm? I don't get it.Exactly, my friend.

P.S. I haven't forgot about that burger ;)

McKeyFan
01-15-2010, 09:19 PM
Why are people using green text like this lately? Does it denote sacasm? I don't get it.

Yeah, right.

Bball
01-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Someone declared green = sarcasm....

McKeyFan
01-15-2010, 09:31 PM
Someone declared green = sarcasm....

How do you html the green?

PacerDude
01-15-2010, 09:35 PM
How do you html the green?Like this.

Swingman
01-15-2010, 09:37 PM
How do you html the green?

Just use the font color changer above where you type. don't really need to use html.

Tom White
01-15-2010, 09:40 PM
Just use the font color changer above where you type. don't really need to use html.

...and you can have some REAL fun if you're color blind.

McKeyFan
01-15-2010, 09:41 PM

Don't see such a thing.

McKeyFan
01-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Like this.

Thanks

Bball
01-15-2010, 09:42 PM
In the Quick Reply box there is an "A" that is underlined with a drop down arrow beside it (in the gray area above the blank area for your text). If you click on it it will bring up a box of various colors you can choose. You can either choose the color and then type within the codes it automatically brings up... or you can type what you want to say and then highlight with a swipe (holding down the left mouse button), and then choose the drop down arrow beside the "A". It will then automatically insert the codes for your chosen color on each side of the selected text.

Bball
01-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Thanks

Nothing like a sarcastic thanks.... ;)

90'sNBARocked
01-15-2010, 09:46 PM
First off ,

Due Process, innocent before proven guilty

That being said, if found guilty,

He is the definition of a dumbazz. I don't care where your from , how you grew up. Doesn't matter. He is (was) a multi millionaire. For him to be involved in any way with this is simply his ego

Caught up in the life of thinking he's cool , hangin out with the hustlers , when in reality they probably have been using his money, destroying his career and possibly one of his "friends" even flipped on him

If this isn't a wake up call for him, then you can see the road he will follow.

The NBA has many sad stories like this, he's just one in an unfortunate line

McKeyFan
01-15-2010, 09:51 PM
In the Quick Reply box there is an "A" that is underlined with a drop down arrow beside it (in the gray area above the blank area for your text). If you click on it it will bring up a box of various colors you can choose. You can either choose the color and then type within the codes it automatically brings up... or you can type what you want to say and then highlight with a swipe (holding down the left mouse button), and then choose the drop down arrow beside the "A". It will then automatically insert the codes for your chosen color on each side of the selected text.

I had to change my setting to basic editing options.

Thanks.

McKeyFan
01-15-2010, 09:51 PM
Nothing like a sarcastic thanks.... ;)

Thanks

Or maybe it was just a test.

Bball
01-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Thanks

Or maybe it was just a test.

No problem

LOL

travmil
01-15-2010, 10:23 PM
I wish the green for sarcasm would go the hell away. I do most of my posting on my phone and the mobile version of PD doesn't easily allow you to change color.

Sparhawk
01-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Green means your horny or are a treehugger.

Go find another color for sarcasm. Sarcasm seems more like a yellow....

I did read that someone was selling a sarcasm icon or something like that for a $1.99. Now that's a joke.

BlueNGold
01-15-2010, 11:05 PM
I think Shawne would approve of green. I suspect he's an avid gardener and spends a great deal of time watering his plants.

Unfortunately, there's no miracle gro in the cell block...

Los Angeles
01-15-2010, 11:43 PM
I don't like the green for the same reason I didn't like bold purple. It's distracting, harder to read, and annoying in a general kind of way.

Trophy
01-15-2010, 11:52 PM
Looks like he doesn't care about turning his life around.

Mr_Smith
01-15-2010, 11:59 PM
What a shame....we'll, not the pacers problem anymore!

jeffg-body
01-16-2010, 01:50 AM
Too bad he seems to be wasting his god given talents on the old, "puff, puff, give".

Mr. Sobchak
01-16-2010, 02:08 AM
This isn't about weed...If Shawne was selling weed this probably wouldn't have been as big of a deal as it is. He was distributing codeine based cough syrup.

PacerDude
01-16-2010, 08:00 AM
This isn't about weed...If Shawne was selling weed this probably wouldn't have been as big of a deal as it is. He was distributing codeine based cough syrup.I'm sure to sppress the cough brought on by smoking too much weed.

BlueNGold
01-16-2010, 09:11 AM
This isn't about weed...If Shawne was selling weed this probably wouldn't have been as big of a deal as it is. He was distributing codeine based cough syrup.

Yes, I'm sure he is only drinks and sells the syrup.

BlueNGold
01-16-2010, 09:14 AM
I don't like the green for the same reason I didn't like bold purple. It's distracting, harder to read, and annoying in a general kind of way.

I feel the same way.

dal9
01-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Yes, I'm sure he is only drinks and sells the syrup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_drank

JohnnyBGoode
01-16-2010, 10:29 AM
First off, this is not really aimed at you Dave.

But...

That is what people have said over and over since his first problems arose.

I remember so many people kept on saying he didn't really do anything that bad, or it was just immaturity, or just his friends and not him, or even up to the accusation that the police were "profiling" him.
My take? The guy is simply a bad egg and a moron. I am so glad he is not with the Pacers anymore that I can't even express how happy I am that he is long gone.

Not to mention any posters by name, however they used the same logic in defending Ron and especially Jackson.

odeez
01-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Just sad that Shawne couldn't utilize his god given talent on the court. Agreed, let due process go forward, but regardless, his associations with certain characters from his past have ruined his career. Bad choices straight up and down. I hope he can somehow turn it around.

Tom White
01-16-2010, 12:07 PM
Just sad that Shawne couldn't utilize his god given talent on the court. Agreed, let due process go forward, but regardless, his associations with certain characters from his past have ruined his career. Bad choices straight up and down. I hope he can somehow turn it around.

See, there again, it sounds like you are saying it isn't his fault. Why, it's those shady, sneaky friends of his that have done him in!

I say no, it is his own darned fault. He has made his own choices, and it is time he pays the piper. No excuses!

He has had far too many chances to "turn it around". That ship sailed already.

NuffSaid
01-16-2010, 02:32 PM
He'll never play in the NBA again. His professional career in this league is over. He has shown he has a stronger love for drugs and an affinitity for hanging around the wrong types of people than he does in getting his life straight or taking full advantage of positive opportunities when given him.

What a waste of talent.

Naptown_Seth
01-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Don't see such a thing.
Less than a minute later you had it?

You're good at patience.

Naptown_Seth
01-16-2010, 03:09 PM
Shawne was brilliantly gifted on the court.

I suppose in the end he worked best as our draft pick in that he taught Bird a valuable lesson in character vetting on future picks - thus a guy like Price who technically had a criminal issue (the laptops with MWilliams) in his past makes the cut as a good overall person who made a mistake. Same with Rush and some of his history with his baby mama/child support, plus a speeding/wrong side of road charge.

Then you have Roy and Tyler who are the mark of clean cut good guy types.

BTW, comparing Shawne to Ron or Jackson or even Ron to Jackson makes no sense. Jack was an emotional guy who didn't start either situation he was involved in, neither of which was some planned out ongoing illegal behavior. Ron is just possibly nuts and not really all that criminal himself, just a person you worry about having around because of the weird crap he'll say or do.

Shawne OTOH has proven that where we used to think he was struggling to escape a bad background with criminals who refused to let him leave, he was actually still comfortably involved with them and perpetuating the situation.

The irony here is that if you asked the average fan to identify the worst criminal on the team in the last 5 years Shawne would be well below Jack, Ron and Tinsley. I'd bet some would even through JO in the mix.

The guy with the lowest public image was clearly IMO the most involved with truly criminal behavior. Smoking weed is like having a beer, that doesn't bother me. DEALING on the other hand, no matter what illegal substance it is and that includes steroids, puts you into serious contact with hardened criminals. Yes, even weed dealers. There's money involved and it's criminal, that draws the hardcore dudes to it like flies. Even a DeadHead hippie weed dealer has to worry about being robbed.

Bball
01-16-2010, 03:38 PM
The irony here is that if you asked the average fan to identify the worst criminal on the team in the last 5 years Shawne would be well below Jack, Ron and Tinsley. I'd bet some would even through JO in the mix.

I'll bite...
It was criminal the amount of money JO took from the Pacers....
:devil:

JohnnyBGoode
01-16-2010, 05:05 PM
Shawne was brilliantly gifted on the court.

I suppose in the end he worked best as our draft pick in that he taught Bird a valuable lesson in character vetting on future picks - thus a guy like Price who technically had a criminal issue (the laptops with MWilliams) in his past makes the cut as a good overall person who made a mistake. Same with Rush and some of his history with his baby mama/child support, plus a speeding/wrong side of road charge.

Then you have Roy and Tyler who are the mark of clean cut good guy types.

BTW, comparing Shawne to Ron or Jackson or even Ron to Jackson makes no sense. Jack was an emotional guy who didn't start either situation he was involved in, neither of which was some planned out ongoing illegal behavior. Ron is just possibly nuts and not really all that criminal himself, just a person you worry about having around because of the weird crap he'll say or do.

Shawne OTOH has proven that where we used to think he was struggling to escape a bad background with criminals who refused to let him leave, he was actually still comfortably involved with them and perpetuating the situation.

The guy with the lowest public image was clearly IMO the most involved with truly criminal behavior. Smoking weed is like having a beer, that doesn't bother me. DEALING on the other hand, no matter what illegal substance it is and that includes steroids, puts you into serious contact with hardened criminals. Yes, even weed dealers. There's money involved and it's criminal, that draws the hardcore dudes to it like flies. Even a DeadHead hippie weed dealer has to worry about being robbed.

Who did the most damage to the Pacers? Shawne as a wasted draft pick or Jackson and Ron who set the Pacers back at least 5 years.

clownskull
01-16-2010, 06:08 PM

whether he gets his crap together and gets a clue is possible but extremely unlikely. he seems to be one of those guys who are permanently stuck on stupid. he wasted every opportunity thus far. i doubt he makes an nba roster ever again.
he is toast. no one will waste their time on this idiot and they shouldn't.
good riddance shawne, get used to spending time behind bars.

Stryder
01-16-2010, 10:18 PM
million dollar talent, one cent head...

Let's move on... :)

MLB007
01-16-2010, 10:27 PM
Color me shocked.

It depresses me that players throw away talent, cause he could have been good. David Harrison could have been good.

Just a waste of talent. I do hope these guys figure it out and get their lives together.

NO, David harrison could NEVER have been good. Had the tools, but nothing else. Never learned how to use them.

ChicagoJ
01-18-2010, 12:08 PM
Not to mention any posters by name, however they used the same logic in defending Ron and especially Jackson.

Really? You joined in 2007 and you know that?

BKK
01-18-2010, 12:33 PM
do you remember that teaser on a movie about his life... "Shawne Williams... a true story" IIRC? Basically a story about his life coming from the projects to making it at the nba level...

I heard there was a Pt.2 under way... "Same in reverse... a sad but true story" :hmm:

Okay I just wanted to use the green color :D

Dr. Awesome
01-18-2010, 12:35 PM
Who else remembers the Shawne Williams vs Danny Granger debates?

Oh, how fast things can change.

count55
01-18-2010, 12:52 PM
Really? You joined in 2007 and you know that?

It's not like this stuff doesn't get dredged up every three months around here.

ChicagoJ
01-18-2010, 02:13 PM
It's not like this stuff doesn't get dredged up every three months around here.

Or people come back form being banned under a new name and within thier first 100 posts, an old argument flares back up.

I'm not saying that is what happened here, but it has happened before.

Since86
01-18-2010, 02:37 PM
Or the fact that people lurk here for a long time, before registering. If they ever do......

JohnnyBGoode
01-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Or people come back form being banned under a new name and within thier first 100 posts, an old argument flares back up.

I'm not saying that is what happened here, but it has happened before.

I don't know what prompted you to make this accusation, however I do find it insulting. Let's see, 2007 to 2010 is a long time to stay out of the many arguments that seem to transpire on this board. I have stated that my work schedule keeps me from posting more often, but I do check in on occasion and view the latest happenings on the board. And yes I do remember all of the Shawne and Jackson threads, so what? Gee I am glad you are not on the welcoming committee.