PDA

View Full Version : Bird joins the latest "Pacers Crate"

Hicks
01-14-2010, 11:18 PM
<object width="388" height="394" classid="clsid:D<param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=pacers_576x324&videoId=teams/pacers/2010/01/14/crate100114larrybird-1188445" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/nba/nba/.element/swf/1.1/cvp/nba_embed_container.swf?context=pacers_576x324&videoId=teams/pacers/2010/01/14/crate100114larrybird-1188445" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="388" wmode="transparent" height="394"></embed></object>

gummy
01-14-2010, 11:48 PM
When talking about the core group of guys around the 6 and a half minute mark, Bird makes it sound like maybe he thinks Murph is a part of that going forward.

Nice to hear him talking about Rush's rebounding and defense alongside acknowledgment that he's struggling on offense.

Interesting overall, thanks.

Will Galen
01-15-2010, 12:02 AM
When talking about the core group of guys around the 6 and a half minute mark, Bird makes it sound like maybe he thinks Murph is a part of that going forward.

I saw that this afternoon and I didn't get that idea.

I'll have to watch again, but he's never mentioned Murphy being part of the core before.

Pacersfan46
01-15-2010, 12:06 AM

I'll have to watch again, but he's never mentioned Murphy being part of the core before.

I got the same idea gummy did the first time I saw it. I was doing something else but it caught my attention quite a bit when I heard it.

-- Steve --

gummy
01-15-2010, 12:14 AM

It definitely surprised me since we hear so much about Murph not being part of the long-term plan around here and in the press. I wondered if that was a conscious effort by Bird to reassure Murph but then again it could be nothing. Larry isn't the world's most articulate guy, he may not have meant it the way I heard it.

cgg
01-15-2010, 12:21 AM
They were talking about the second half of the season at that point, not long term, so I think that's probably what he meant.

Will Galen
01-15-2010, 12:24 AM
I listened again. He's talking about the core group doing better in the 2ed half of the season. That's not necessarily the same core group that he talks about having in two years.

Before when he's talked about rebuilding he's talked about the young core group of Danny, Roy, Rush, Hans, and Price, and the expiring contracts bringing in a good player.

That of course doesn't preclude some of those expirings being resigned again to cheaper contracts. If still here I think Ford will be let go as an expiring, and I think Jeff will retire, but I could see Bird resigning either Troy or Dun to cheaper contracts.

Trophy
01-15-2010, 12:28 AM
He didn't mention one thing about Mike being part of the future which I found interesting. He didn't say anything about Mike at all did he?

It was an interesting discussion. Bird explained his view of the team pretty well.

pwee31
01-15-2010, 12:33 AM
He didn't mention one thing about Mike being part of the future which I found interesting. He didn't say anything about Mike at all did he?

It was an interesting discussion. Bird explained his view of the team pretty well.

He mentions him early when discussing how he thought he wouldn't miss a beat once he return, but that hasn't been the case

ChicagoJ
01-15-2010, 02:33 PM
He mentions him early when discussing how he thought he wouldn't miss a beat once he return, but that hasn't been the case

Well no fooling. If he could have taken the full 10-12 months they were originally talking about, I'll be he'd look a lot better at that point. At least his early return is leading us to wins/ the playoffs.

Uh, wait a minute...

Naptown_Seth
01-15-2010, 03:24 PM
I have to say that Bird seems to have a pretty good view on the situation, or is disclosing a better view more than he used to. "Rebuild" is now mentioned regularly rather than brushed off as a dirty word.

His take on Rush is dead on. That gives me hope just knowing he's seeing the total situation. His rebounding and defense have been great and he is more than just passive, he's not really finding a role in this offense which is more how Bird describes it.

Trophy
01-15-2010, 03:36 PM
Sounds like Troy isn't going anywhere this season.

I don't see us making any big trades involving key players this season.

BillS
01-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Well no fooling. If he could have taken the full 10-12 months they were originally talking about, I'll be he'd look a lot better at that point. At least his early return is leading us to wins/ the playoffs.

Uh, wait a minute...

If you believe that there is still a lot wrong with Dun and he is having problems because his injury isn't healed, then you are right.

If you believe he came on with adrenaline and then hit a conditioning wall that he is finally coming out of, I think that would have happened no matter how much longer he waited.