PDA

View Full Version : Draft Do-Over

Kraut N Beer
01-13-2010, 11:15 AM
If you had the opportunity go back to draft at pick 13 once again, who would you take for the Pacers?

CableKC
01-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Gee....I wonder who Seth is going to choose. :chin:

90'sNBARocked
01-13-2010, 11:20 AM
If you had the opportunity go back to draft at pick 13 once again, who would you take for the Pacers?

Honestly I would take Tyler again or have worked hard on getting both Tyler and Ty Lawson

I dont believe anyone chosen after Tyler has been much better so far (possibly Omar Crisspi in Sac)

duke dynamite
I am happy with Tyler, but if the draft was done over again and we couldn't get him, I think maybe Jeff Teague, B.J. Mullens or Ty Lawson.

This could be an interesting thread.

90'sNBARocked
I am happy with Tyler, but if the draft was done over again and we couldn't get him, I think maybe Jeff Teague, B.J. Mullens or Ty Lawson.

This could be an interesting thread.

Mullens?

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Mullens?
Yeah. I think he could be a solid rotational big man. No worse than McRoberts.

From a PR standpoint drafting Tyler was a safe bet. I think he has brought in a few more fans, and a lot more national interest from people who have followed him throughout college.

That and I think he's a heck of a ball player, too.

90'sNBARocked
01-13-2010, 11:24 AM

He definitly has the skill but I dont know if he has the drive

He was really unimpressive in his year at Ohio St

talent is there though

vnzla81
01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I would still pick Tyler

90'sNBARocked
01-13-2010, 11:25 AM

From a PR standpoint drafting Tyler was a safe bet. I think he has brought in a few more fans, and a lot more national interest from people who have followed him throughout college.

That and I think he's a heck of a ball player, too.

Untill Obie has him shooting 100 3's in practice :(

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Boy, everything has to go back to the coach. All the life in me has now been sucked out.

Speed
01-13-2010, 11:30 AM
I put Casspi, but he wasn't really even on the radar at 13. I'm also happy with TH, but Casspi looks very good.

Unclebuck
01-13-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm very happy with Tyler. Sure we needed and needed a point guard, but Tyler was an excellent pic,

Yeah Casspi looks good to me, which we could have gotten him and Tyler

Infinite MAN_force
01-13-2010, 11:42 AM
I have a feeling a lot of people are going to pick Lawson, but I am not convinced Price wont be just as good. I think we got a real second round steal. I wasn't sure at the time, but I think Hansbrough was the best player available at 13. The PGs to get IMO, were Jennings, Evans, and Rubio, and they were all gone... I think Price will be on par with the rest of the PG crop of this draft, even Flynn.

vnzla81
01-13-2010, 11:48 AM
I have a feeling a lot of people are going to pick Lawson, but I am not convinced Price wont be just as good. I think we got a real second round steal. I wasn't sure at the time, but I think Hansbrough was the best player available at 13. The PGs to get IMO, were Jennings, Evans, and Rubio, and they were all gone... I think Price will be on par with the rest of the PG crop of this draft, even Flynn.

yes Im starting to feel the same way too.

Anthem
01-13-2010, 11:48 AM
For the record, I was a big proponent before the draft of trading out. I still wish we'd gone that way, but I understand the allure of Hansbro from a marketing perspective.

Regardless, this is a joke, right?

We haven't actually seen an article that suggests this is happening?

90'sNBARocked
01-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Boy, everything has to go back to the coach. All the life in me has now been sucked out.

Where else you want to go?

I struggle to find a reason to say anything positive about him

90'sNBARocked
01-13-2010, 12:02 PM
For the record, I was a big proponent before the draft of trading out. I still wish we'd gone that way, but I understand the allure of Hansbro from a marketing perspective.

Regardless, this is a joke, right?

We haven't actually seen an article that suggests this is happening?

Yes I guess it should have been put in green , but knowing Obie I bet he has Tyler shooting 3's in practice

Pure Speculation though

plutarch
01-13-2010, 12:11 PM
i would still take hans but i really like casspi its just that we already have granger there but he is a nice player for sure

Kraut N Beer
01-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I voted for Tyler, with a close second to Casspi and Lawson. I hope Tyler can improve his shooting percentage and not get stuffed so much around the basket over time. He has brought some much needed national exposure to the team as well.

Trophy
01-13-2010, 12:48 PM
Tyler's going to be a huge steal in the draft sometime in the future so I'm satisfied with our selection.

Lance George
01-13-2010, 01:01 PM
Casspi and Lawson are the only two doing anything of note. Casspi looks good, but he's a SF, the least of our worries. I'd love Lawson prior to the draft and he's lived up to my expectations (can you believe some people said he'd fail because he dribbled 'too upright'? Talk about over-evaluating, wow...) so yes, I'd strongly consider a do-over for Lawson, especially with the upcoming draft looking strong on bigs and weaks on points.

With that said, I'm perfectly happy with Hansbrough.

thelostpacer
01-13-2010, 01:17 PM
i happy with tyler.. but than again ty lawson was my first but then again i rather tyler..

CableKC
01-13-2010, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't have mind if we did go with Lawson.....and then used whatever $$$ that we had that went towards Watson to go to whatever the best PF/C that we could have gotten.

But assuming that it was a foregone conclusion that AJ Price was going to be on the board at the 2nd round pick......then I would have stuck with Hansbrough or gone with Blair.

The bottomline is that we needed to fill some needs at the PG and PF position. I'd have to look at what Big Men were available at the likely price that we signed Watson at....but I'd guess that we couldn't have gotten a solid Big Man ( that was equivelant to what we got with Watson )....but the best way to do it was to draft a Big Man and sign a backup PG.

LoneGranger33
01-13-2010, 02:06 PM
Nothing against Hansbrough, but Casspi is good and he's the first Israeli player in the NBA - I want a piece of that history!

IndyProdigy
01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
wow. im the only one that said other?

JEFFREY TEAGUE

then BLAIR in the 2nd.

himikey
01-13-2010, 08:28 PM
The Pacers did the right thing. Although Ty Lawson probably has a better upside than Hansbro and AJ, if we took Lawson, we wouldn't have drafted AJ at all. And all the 2nd rounders after #54 busted, so that pick would have been a wash. Hans and AJ look like solid rotation players, so I'm ok with it. It's like we missed out on $.15 and ended up with two dimes.

the jaddler
01-13-2010, 09:10 PM
I like tyler but i also wanted ty lawson.....would we be better off....not sure.....but here are the stats

ty lawson
2009-10 Statistics

PPG
RPG
APG
EFF
+ 11.29

tyler
2009-10 Statistics

PPG
RPG
APG
EFF
+ 9.08

Zelmo Beatty
01-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I voted for other. The guy I wanted was Teague. I still think
he has the highest ceiling of the kids that were left at #13.

Justin Tyme
01-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I voted for Casspi in 20/20 hindsight. He's playing well. 2 players I liked that were still available at 13 were James Johnson and Eric Maynor. Johnson isn't doing much and OKC got a real nice pickup in Maynor a few weeks ago.

Dr. Awesome
01-14-2010, 02:30 AM
I'm shocked most people here wouldn't take Lawson if they had the chance to do it over. His last 3 starts he got 23/9, 23/9, and 21/8. His FG% on the year is .515 and his 3P% is .442. He's also reletively close to a 3-1 a/to ratio.

I realize AJ Price has been doing good, but Ty Lawson is going to be a great PG. To go with that, this draft is a very strong PF draft, we could have found someone better than Hansbrough this year, we won't find a PG as good as Lawson this year unless we luck our way into the 1st pick.

I love Hansbrough, like I've said I'm a die hard Tar Heel fan, but drafting him was a mistake. We should have taken either Lawson or Holiday - knowing what we know now, Lawson obviously would have been the better choice. Its really not even close for me.

cdash
01-14-2010, 02:55 AM
I picked Holiday. His performance this year doesn't surprise me. I still like his long-term potential the most, and out of all these PGs, he plays the best defense. He has a long way to go, but I think he can get there.

IndyPacer
01-14-2010, 07:58 AM
I am happy with the selections they made. Getting AJ Price is a big part of that. Would we have been better off seeing Lawson excell while AJ Price withered away at the end pf the bench? Price has recently got everyone's attention because he received an opportunity to shine because the veteran PG was floundering. If Lawson played well from the start, AJ wouldn't be getting any time. And they may not have selected AJ at all if they already had a PG in Lawson. Meanwhile, we wouldn't have had any additional help up front. Will AJ Price eventually be as good as Lawson? My guess is that he probably will not be as good as Lawson will be, but on the other hand I do feel Indiana got 1st round talent in the 2nd round. So I'm happy with the way things worked out. And I also think Tyler will be a nice addition even though he'd probably be best as the first big guy off the bench to bring in energy and hustle rather than permanent starter, hopefully eventually after Favors if the draft goes well for Indiana.

Slick Pinkham
01-14-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm happy enough with Psycho T, and I know DeJuan Blair's medicical concerns, but they haven't kept him from becoming a starter on the Spurs.

Last night's line for the big guy: 31 minutes, 28 points, 21 rebounds (10 offensive!), 2 blocks, 2 steals, and a win WITHOUT Duncan, on the road vs. a winning team.

The guy knows how to play, knows positioning, fights like crazy for every inch of paint, and is relentless in going for the ball. All of these things were obvious from watching him play in college, too.

Kraut N Beer
03-04-2010, 10:24 AM
I thought this thread deserved a bump because I don't believe anyone would have known that Tyler's vertigo problem was a season-ending issue at the time of this post. Also, I liked Collison's game enough to put him on the list but he received no votes, but he has looked great since taking over for Chris Paul since Paul's injury.

A PG would have been a better pick (Lawson or Collison) but we might not be drafting so high this summer if we had done so.

Hicks
03-04-2010, 10:35 AM
If I could have a do-over today, I'd take a PG.

Will Galen
03-04-2010, 10:59 AM
If I could have a do-over today, I'd take a PG.

O'B has said they think a lot of Price. So you really think he would have played more than Price has/does?

BRushWithDeath
03-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Of that list, I can pretty confidently say that Hansbrough would be my list pick.

And if I could revote I'd take Lawson. Just as Bird would.

odeez
03-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I think Tyler was probable the correct pick there. Takeing Blair with those knees would be a huge risk, but so far he has looked pretty good. I picked Darren Collison in the poll, hindsight is 20/20. I watched a few of the New Orleans games of late and he has looked great. I had no idea he would be this good. Nice problem for New Orleans to have with Paul and Collison.

It is just unfortunate with what has happened to Tyler. It does seem to go along with the luck we have had of late, but really sucks for him. I do think long term he is going to be a great roll player for us. The jury is still out on whether he will be a starter.

Sookie
03-04-2010, 11:31 AM
O'B has said they think a lot of Price. So you really think he would have played more than Price has/does?

Exactly, so long as Watson and TJ were here, that rookie PG would have gotten the same amount of time..whether it were Ty, Collison, Flynn ect..And you wouldn't have gotten a PF.

I think the Pacers made the right decision, really. You got a PG who, IMO, is in the same class as the above...who just unfortunatly doesn't get to play, and a PF that unfutuantly has a weird injury.

pacers101
03-04-2010, 11:36 AM
How come more people aren't picking Lawson???
At this point he's clearly shown that he would've have been a much better starting PG option for us than either Ford or Earl...
If we had a do over I would definetly pick Lawson over Tyler especially since we don't know the extent of Tyler's ear infection issues. I mean it seems pretty serious if hes missed this much time already so who knows if he'll ever be able to play regularly for us.
Lawson could have been our franchise PG of the future

Mr. Sobchak
03-04-2010, 11:38 AM
I didn't like the Tyler pick at all because I was a big Blair guy, but then he grew on me a bit. Speaking strictly on hindsight though, how could you not want Collison, Lawson, or even Casspi, given some of our needs (true point guard, toughness, etc)?

Trophy
03-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Exactly, so long as Watson and TJ were here, that rookie PG would have gotten the same amount of time..whether it were Ty, Collison, Flynn ect..And you wouldn't have gotten a PF.

I think the Pacers made the right decision, really. You got a PG who, IMO, is in the same class as the above...who just unfortunatly doesn't get to play, and a PF that unfutuantly has a weird injury.

We drafted before we brought in Earl so I think if we were to draft a PG, he would probably get some minutes with TJ.

If AJ was picked with the 13th pick, he'd probably get more time.

Pacergeek
03-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Where is the love for Taj Gibson? He is a double-double machine. His production is what we thought we were going to get from Hans. We also just saw him play over the weekend against us, and he played quite well.

Trophy
03-04-2010, 11:44 AM
Where is the love for Taj Gibson? He is a double-double machine. His production is what we thought we were going to get from Hans. We also just saw him play over the weekend against us, and he played quite well.

We already have a double-double machine. ;)

90'sNBARocked
03-04-2010, 11:54 AM

Hey Duke,

Get your life back, or has Obie still snatched it

CableKC
03-04-2010, 12:01 PM

IMHO....I think that if we drafted a PG in the draft...we wouldn't have signed Watson....I think that we would have spent what little Capspace that we had that went Watson on a Tweener PF or another Solo-like signing.

I'm guessing that one of the goals of the FO by the start of the Pre-season was to shore up the PG and PF/C rotations....either through the draft or Free Agency. That's why I think that Bird ( according to rumor ) was trying to swing another deal for another pick to draft Lawson. Since that plan fell through to get another pick......the FO went with drafting Hansbrough and then hit the FA market to sign Watson and Solo.

CableKC
03-04-2010, 12:02 PM
To be fair....any mobile Frontcourt Low-Post scoring/defending PF does quite well against us.

CableKC
03-04-2010, 12:05 PM
I didn't like the Tyler pick at all because I was a big Blair guy, but then he grew on me a bit. Speaking strictly on hindsight though, how could you not want Collison, Lawson, or even Casspi, given some of our needs (true point guard, toughness, etc)?
Yeah...I think that it was pointed out by someone here on PD that this last season's draft may not yield too many top-tier Starting quality Players....but it did ( at the very least ) yield some solid rotational Players who could blossom ( when given the opportunity....as Collison and Lawson has shown ) into a "decent to solid" Starter. Crossing my fingers.....given what little that we have seen of Hansbrough......I think that he falls into that catagory of being a solid rotational Frontcourt Player for the immediate future.

Kraft
03-04-2010, 01:22 PM
I too like Taj Gibson a fair bit. Just picked from the options, but Gibson would be a useful piece, too.

Coop
03-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Maybe I missed it. Darren Collison anyone? I'd take him no doubt about it. No one else is really close based on his performance lately IMO. After him, I'd say Lawson, then Casspi.

Collison's numbers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3973

Averaged 22 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals a game in the month of February while shooting 50% from the field. Turned the ball over a lot, but he's also had the ball in his hands a lot with Chris Paul out.

pacers74
03-04-2010, 02:06 PM
Im with Heartlandfan. If we could do the draft over knowing what we know now at 13 you have to pick Collison. Before the draft I don't think any thought he was worthy of a pick that high. I wanted us to get a second first round pick somehow and draft one of the point guards like Lawson, Collison, or Mayor. Whether it is form oportunity or not the kid is killing it. He just scored 35 the other night and is averaging almost 6.5 assists per game.

pacers74
03-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Honestly, can anyone really know how good Tyler is going to be? You can only judge him form the few games he played and his college resume. I think he is going to be okay, but not much, if any better than what McRoberts can bring to the table. I love his drive and intensity on the court, but so far when he has gotten into the games he has needed to get to the line a lot to score. I think he might be a little bit undersized and short armed to be a good to great power forward.

cdash
03-04-2010, 02:18 PM

I don't think that's an accurate statement.

MillerTime
03-04-2010, 02:43 PM
I would take Collison for sure, or possibly Blair

BKK
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
funny, when you first read the thread title you're like "damn sure i would redo it and not draft Tyler"... thing is in this list you have players who are probably having better seasons than Tyler (injury aside) but still you don't feel there is in these young guys any impact player, someone that will take his team to the next level... and oddly you find yourself picking Tyler again... because from what we've seen he s a safe solid pick and could really blossom. this draft is much better than firstly anticipated but still you fall quickly in a land of solid role players who should have good and maybe long careers in the league but no real star. wether you pick 13th 18th or 21st there s no big difference.

If I had to redo the draft I'd try to get in the early second round to have a chance at guys like Blair or Thorton... but those picks are probably more pricey than we think

anyway we were fortunate to get a talent like AJ so late in the second round so I won't complain. the jury is still out on Tyler but I think Larry did ok on that one

Sookie
03-04-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't think that's an accurate statement.

Didn't Rush get a lack of minutes, until Dun got hurt.
Didn't Hibbert get far less minutes than he should have, his rookie year.
We won't touch Josh.

Why would this 13th pick be any different than any of the other middle of the road first round picks.

JOB said Price out plays the vets in practice, and clearly does in games too..obviously Ty, Collison, Flynn ect.. would have as well, so why would they have gotten more time?

The only thing, that might have changed, is whether we actually signed Watson or not. LB might have felt a little more confident with a 13th pick running backup point, rather than a 52nd. But if Watson was still signed, that young point doesn't play.

NapTonius Monk
03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
Man, this says I already voted on this poll, but I don't remember doing so. Anyways, I would have voted Blair. I was totally sold on the idea of drafting him just before the draft. That said, I'm not mad about drafting Hans. He'll be solid for years. I like to refer to him as Dale Schrempf..minus the extended perimeter shooting.

Hicks
03-04-2010, 05:34 PM

To borrow Jim's word, that's irrelevant to me. What matters is that you could get a PG with more talent than AJ Price, such as Ty Lawson or Darren Collison.

Even if you take one of them, take AJ anyway and now you have your future starter AND backup PG to move forward with.

Naptown_Seth
03-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Here's the thing with Collison. I was WAY DOWN on him, and for good reason. He spent the last 2 years at UCLA with NBA teammates, Westbrook, Love, Holiday, Moute, plus the not shabby Josh Shipp. All he did that entire time was just dribble around, force his own dribble drive action and destroy the shot clock.

He was superglue and it wasn't occasionally. I watched him over 2 seasons, maybe 20 NCAA games and it never changed.

Now he still is calling his own number often, but I have to admit that out of nowhere he's passing the ball. Somehow the game has finally clicked for him and he realizes he's a PG. I'm stumped by this.

He always had the dribble and the quicks, but just TERRIBLE court vision and passing. Travis Best, 100%.

Can a guy really change his stripes that drastically? IDK, but I guess.

Obviously I take Blair if forced to keep the pick, though this is actually iffy because I wanted to trade out of the draft because I felt like they needed bigs and that this year would be far better for that (and it is). So while I like Blair, I'd trade Blair for Patterson this year if it meant I got to have another pick in this draft.

Or maybe with that view I might have taken Holiday knowing I was getting a PF this year and at the time being unsure Price would be on the board later. If I know I'm getting Price 2nd round then I either take Blair or trade the pick.

If I could get Chicago to trade for Tyler then I take Blair and Chase Budinger, maybe Sam Young instead of Chase. Tough call.

I called to draft Price in round 2 two years ago, so obviously I think they nailed that one.

I would never, ever take Tyler. Let him be a great story elsewhere, I'll admit I was wrong when it happens.

Hicks
03-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Seth, the switch is probably due to Chris Paul being his personal tutor this season. He very well might not have had this switch in a situation like ours, actually.

PaceBalls
03-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Sadly we might never know about how well Tyler will do. Vertigo can really mess you up and it's not like it is going to go away. It is hard to do even normal actions like walk when you have a vertigo attack.

PaceBalls
03-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Seth, the switch is probably due to Chris Paul being his personal tutor this season. He very well might not have had this switch in a situation like ours, actually.

We can only wonder at how good he might be if he had TJ Ford to tutor him :laugh:

Sookie
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM
We can only wonder at how good he might be if he had TJ Ford to tutor him :laugh:

Yea, it kind of concerns me when Price says things like "I try to learn from TJ, Earl and the coaches every day"

I'm just thinking..."please...please..don't do that..."

cdash
03-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Didn't Rush get a lack of minutes, until Dun got hurt.
Didn't Hibbert get far less minutes than he should have, his rookie year.
We won't touch Josh.

Why would this 13th pick be any different than any of the other middle of the road first round picks.

JOB said Price out plays the vets in practice, and clearly does in games too..obviously Ty, Collison, Flynn ect.. would have as well, so why would they have gotten more time?

The only thing, that might have changed, is whether we actually signed Watson or not. LB might have felt a little more confident with a 13th pick running backup point, rather than a 52nd. But if Watson was still signed, that young point doesn't play.

This year's team is a little different than last year's. We are a lot worse, and that PG position is something of a nightmare. If we made a late lottery investment in one of those PGs, I'd think the TPTB would order minutes his way, just as they would if Tyler were healthy.

Sookie
03-04-2010, 08:44 PM
This year's team is a little different than last year's. We are a lot worse, and that PG position is something of a nightmare. If we made a late lottery investment in one of those PGs, I'd think the TPTB would order minutes his way, just as they would if Tyler were healthy.

LB should be ordering minutes Price's and Hibbert's way, but he clearly isn't.

cdash
03-04-2010, 09:11 PM
LB should be ordering minutes Price's and Hibbert's way, but he clearly isn't.

Hibbert gets all the minutes he can handle now. Price...I think they saw what they needed to see out of him. TPTB surely ordered that monthlong stretch he played consistently. He probably should be playing though, I agree.

rexnom
03-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Maybe I missed it. Darren Collison anyone? I'd take him no doubt about it. No one else is really close based on his performance lately IMO. After him, I'd say Lawson, then Casspi.

Collison's numbers:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?playerId=3973

Averaged 22 points, 8 assists, 4 rebounds, 2 steals a game in the month of February while shooting 50% from the field. Turned the ball over a lot, but he's also had the ball in his hands a lot with Chris Paul out.
I am shocked, shocked that he isn't the unanimous choice.

Sookie
03-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Hibbert gets all the minutes he can handle now. Price...I think they saw what they needed to see out of him. TPTB surely ordered that monthlong stretch he played consistently. He probably should be playing though, I agree.

LB should order Hibbert to start no matter what, and to not allow Jim to do this "small ball" thing. Hibbert needs to learn to start and play against the league's centers.

And I don't agree he gets all the minutes he can handle. He could handle more. IMO, play him till he fouls out.

And yes, I'm sure JOB was ordered to play Price. Why Larry doesn't force him to continue is another question.

BlueNGold
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Collison is a little small, but he's been pretty spectacular. He's averaging in the mid 20's the last month with probably an 8 assists per game average. The last two games he's only averaged 13 or 14, but he's dishing 14 or 15 assists per game. Crazy for a rookie.

Edit: We could have done worse than Tyler. I still would not pick Blair over him...even with the ear issue. I think Blair's days are limited with his body type. Beyond Collison, I would probably rate Caspi higher too. Otherwise, I'd pick Tyler again.

idioteque
03-04-2010, 10:08 PM
You guys who are militant about playing Roy more than 35+ minutes a game are crazy. Like most bigs, including Smits, Roy will probably be affected by knee and foot injuries later in his career after he's played a ton of minutes. It is established that Hibbert can play, and he just needs at this point to keep getting the reps in practice and give him no more than 25 a game. Don't wear out Roy's body too much during a throwaway season. Better yet, draft another good solid big so Roy never ever plays more than 35 a game for most of his career.

Collison has blown me away. I never thought he'd amount to much.

Hicks
03-04-2010, 10:10 PM
You guys who are militant about playing Roy more than 35+ minutes a game are crazy. Like most bigs, including Smits, Roy will probably be affected by knee and foot injuries later in his career after he's played a ton of minutes. It is established that Hibbert can play, and he just needs at this point to keep getting the reps in practice and give him no more than 25 a game. Don't wear out Roy's body too much during a throwaway season. Better yet, draft another good solid big so Roy never ever plays more than 35 a game for most of his career.

No worries; we're going to take Cole Aldrich in the draft. :devil:

Sookie
03-04-2010, 10:12 PM

I'm not saying play him 35 mpg, I'm saying between 25-30 or until he fouls out...he played 11 a few nights ago, and wasn't in foul trouble. and now he isn't starting. That's a problem.

cdash
03-04-2010, 10:52 PM
I'm not saying play him 35 mpg, I'm saying between 25-30 or until he fouls out...he played 11 a few nights ago, and wasn't in foul trouble. and now he isn't starting. That's a problem.

Yeah but the point of giving these young guys PT is to see what we have. We know about Roy. We know what we have there: a solid young center who can score on anyone and let anyone score on him. No need to risk injury or exhaustion with him by playing him more minutes than he can handle. That isn't doing him any favors. And who cares if he starts? I'm more concerned about him finishing than starting.

Sookie
03-04-2010, 11:01 PM
Yeah but the point of giving these young guys PT is to see what we have. We know about Roy. We know what we have there: a solid young center who can score on anyone and let anyone score on him. No need to risk injury or exhaustion with him by playing him more minutes than he can handle. That isn't doing him any favors. And who cares if he starts? I'm more concerned about him finishing than starting.

Part of the reason for playing the young guys is to let their game grow and for them to learn.

Hibbert needs to learn how to play against the centers in the league. Why not now when it doesn't matter?

That "we know what we have" is silly. We want Price and Hibbert, we should be playing them to let them grow. That's part of the reason to play them.

Obviously the other side is to see what we have in McBob and perhaps Solo. But the more important younger guys are Price and Hibbert.

cdash
03-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Part of the reason for playing the young guys is to let their game grow and for them to learn.

Hibbert needs to learn how to play against the centers in the league. Why not now when it doesn't matter?

That "we know what we have" is silly. We want Price and Hibbert, we should be playing them to let them grow. That's part of the reason to play them.

Obviously the other side is to see what we have in McBob and perhaps Solo. But the more important younger guys are Price and Hibbert.

I'm much more bullish on our young guys than you are. I think the only real keeper "building block" player of that group is Hibbert. McRoberts and Solo are role players at best (sorry, but there's a reason they were let go and received little to no playing time in their previous NBA stops). Price should probably be logging some minutes with Hibbert and Granger, so I won't argue there.

Sookie
03-04-2010, 11:19 PM
I'm much more bullish on our young guys than you are. I think the only real keeper "building block" player of that group is Hibbert. McRoberts and Solo are role players at best (sorry, but there's a reason they were let go and received little to no playing time in their previous NBA stops). Price should probably be logging some minutes with Hibbert and Granger, so I won't argue there.

I think McBob and Solo are role players at best too.

But if McBob's a role player for cheap..we might want to develope him..just to see. I mean, I'm not saying giving him 30, I'm saying give him the backup PF minutes..don't give those minutes to dun and Djones...

And I'm unbiased when it comes to Price, but I add him in there, because LB has said he, along with Hibbert, Hans and Granger are the "young core" ..so play them..

cdash
03-04-2010, 11:28 PM
I think McBob and Solo are role players at best too.

But if McBob's a role player for cheap..we might want to develope him..just to see. I mean, I'm not saying giving him 30, I'm saying give him the backup PF minutes..don't give those minutes to dun and Djones...

And I'm unbiased when it comes to Price, but I add him in there, because LB has said he, along with Hibbert, Hans and Granger are the "young core" ..so play them..

Yeah, the Dunleavy/Dahntay PF experiment was ill fated from the beginning. I don't disagree with anything you said there. Well put.