PDA

View Full Version : Two teams fined for standing in front of bench [ESPN]

Los Angeles
01-12-2010, 09:03 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4820752&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

NBA fines two teams $10K each

NEW YORK -- The NBA has fined two teams $10,000 apiece for violating the rule preventing players from standing for long periods of time in front of their bench.

League spokesman Tim Frank confirmed a memo was sent to all teams Tuesday informing them of the fines. The teams were not identified in the memo.

The fines were first reported by Yahoo! Sports.

The rule was instituted this season as a way to stop players from blocking the view of fans sitting behind the benches.

Dr. Awesome
01-12-2010, 09:26 PM
...and Stern wonders why anyone would want to sell an NBA team.

tadscout
01-12-2010, 11:05 PM
There are Pacers players that have a habit to stand and cheer for stretches at a time, any chance it was us?

Spirit
01-13-2010, 12:04 AM
There are Pacers players that have a habit to stand and cheer for stretches at a time, any chance it was us?

I think Hibbert does it.. and he sure would block almost anyone's view.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 12:13 AM
I still think this is a pretty useless rule and fine.

Dr. Awesome
01-13-2010, 12:22 AM
I still think this is a pretty useless rule and fine.

Duke, you officially have the best avatar ever.

Also, what did you say your PSN was again? What games do you have?

jeffg-body
01-13-2010, 12:38 AM
I have to agree a totally useless rule and another way for them to skim a little cash away.;)

cgg
01-13-2010, 12:40 AM
About time they did something about it. Wait until you pay $400 for tickets without realizing that the players will stand in the way the entire time.

the jaddler
01-13-2010, 05:51 AM
About time they did something about it. Wait until you pay $400 for tickets without realizing that the players will stand in the way the entire time.

then dont pay 400 bucks to sit there!!! hey to me thats part of the experince.....and thats why they are only 400 bucks and not 800!!!

Brad8888
01-13-2010, 09:30 AM

I agree. Wow.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 09:36 AM

Also, what did you say your PSN was again? What games do you have?
Thanks. I had mine first!

I'll PM you so the thread doesn't go elsewhere.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 09:37 AM
That's m00t. Just stand up too.

sportfireman
01-13-2010, 09:41 AM

and...................people are supposed to see over 7 footers that are already standing????????
:eek:

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 09:42 AM
and...................people are supposed to see over 7 footers that are already standing????????
:eek:
Last time I recall stadium seating inclines. And in most arenas, there is a huge gap of walking space between the bench and the first rows of seats, which are usually elevated to an extent.

sportfireman
01-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Last time I recall stadium seating inclines. And in most arenas, there is a huge gap of walking space between the bench and the first rows of seats, which are usually elevated to an extent.

not all of them are that way.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 09:45 AM
not all of them are that way.
I think a vast majority are, just because you have to get to the scorer's bench somehow.

sportfireman
01-13-2010, 09:47 AM
I think a vast majority are, just because you have to get to the scorer's bench somehow.

ok

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 09:50 AM
ok
I mean I fully understand the rule, I do. But the game is about the players. As long and they aren't flipping people off, being obscene, let them cheer or do what they want to promote team chemistry and support.

Sure, standing for an entire quarter is asinine. But if the game is close, let them stand. Usually most of the fans would be standing in a situation like that as well.

sportfireman
01-13-2010, 09:55 AM
I mean I fully understand the rule, I do. But the game is about the players. As long and they aren't flipping people off, being obscene, let them cheer or do what they want to promote team chemistry and support.

Sure, standing for an entire quarter is asinine. But if the game is close, let them stand. Usually most of the fans would be standing in a situation like that as well.

i understand i'm with you....but on the other hand those same fans help pay for those players to stand there.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 10:15 AM
i understand i'm with you....but on the other hand those same fans help pay for those players to stand there.
Well, you pay for roads. It's like having traffic in your way.

cgg
01-13-2010, 10:30 AM
then dont pay 400 bucks to sit there!!! hey to me thats part of the experince.....and thats why they are only 400 bucks and not 800!!!

Yeah well I know that now. How was I supposed to know beforehand? I never had a problem with it before that. Part of the experience is not seeing the game? Great.

cgg
01-13-2010, 10:32 AM

EVERYONE stood up and we couldn't see over them. Everyone was yelling at them to sit the f down because the entire game was blocked.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Yeah well I know that now. How was I supposed to know beforehand? I never had a problem with it before that. Part of the experience is not seeing the game? Great.
How can you not expect to have something block your view at some point?

In most cases, the players huddle into the corner, where in many arenas, have the walkway towards the locker rooms.

cgg
01-13-2010, 10:34 AM

The game is about the fans. They are paid $10M/year because I watch the game.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 10:35 AM
The game is about the fans. They are paid $10M/year because I watch the game.
Corporate sponsors and suites. The fans are an integral part, but a franchise can't live off of fans alone.

It goes back to the ticket. You pay to have a seat at the game, in the building. That's about it.

cgg
01-13-2010, 10:36 AM

Standing did nothing. They are too tall.

cgg
01-13-2010, 10:36 AM
Corporate sponsors and suites. The fans are an integral part, but a franchise can't live off of fans alone.

It goes back to the ticket. You pay to have a seat at the game, in the building. That's about it.

And there are corporate sponsors because of... the fans?

cgg
01-13-2010, 10:38 AM
How can you not expect to have something block your view at some point?

In most cases, the players huddle into the corner, where in many arenas, have the walkway towards the locker rooms.

They didn't. The entire team stood and blocked the entire court from half court to the hoop. I couldn't even see people take a 3.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Standing did nothing. They are too tall.
Maybe we should petition for a smaller NBA.

And there are corporate sponsors because of... the fans?
In essence, maybe. Corporate sponsors support the team, in which support themselves. It's all about getting your name to where many people see it. The fans are important.

cgg
01-13-2010, 10:43 AM
Maybe we should petition for a smaller NBA.

Maybe they should sit down.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
Maybe they should sit down.
You can, but they should be allowed to stand and show their support. Remember, it's the players that make the breathtaking moments. These guys are part of a family that should be able to support one another in any way they see fit.

cgg
01-13-2010, 10:46 AM
You can, but they should be allowed to stand and show their support. Remember, it's the players that make the breathtaking moments. These guys are part of a family that should be able to support one another in any way they see fit.

They can get excited and jump up if they want, but standing for the first half of the 1st and the entire 4th quarter is stupid.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 10:48 AM
They can get excited and jump up if they want, but standing for the first half of the 1st and the entire 4th quarter is stupid.
Yeah, I get that. Entire quarters and just to do it is dumb. They can stand until they get their first bucket, good plays, and if the game is on the line close towards the end. To tell them to jump up and sit down just doesn't make sense to me.

Trophy
01-13-2010, 12:53 PM
This rule is taking it too far.

Speaking for the fans that sit down low coming from experiences. I really don't care if they're jumping up and are excited because of an impressive basket. It's just an honor as a fan to be sitting right behind them.

When I was in Washington recently, a security guard asked Jeff to take a seat because he was stretching out and he said "let me ask" (meaning the fans) and no one had any kind of issue with it.

So it's a dumb rule and if anyone has a problem with players standing up, then they shouldn't be sitting down that low.

Since86
01-13-2010, 12:58 PM
If you have a problem with them standing, don't sit so low. Problem solved.

You knew where the tickets were in relation to the floor when you bought them. You knew you were going to be behind a row full of men that stood a lot taller than you. It was your choice to sit there.

You know the positives and negatives of the seat. Don't cry when the negatives happen. Save some money, and move up a couple rows.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 01:05 PM

You knew where the tickets were in relation to the floor when you bought them. You knew you were going to be behind a row full of men that stood a lot taller than you. It was your choice to sit there.

You know the positives and negatives of the seat. Don't cry when the negatives happen. Save some money, and move up a couple rows.
You said what I wanted to say, but since I wanted to remain civil, I went the coward's way out.

Thank you, thank you!

cgg
01-13-2010, 01:13 PM
This rule is taking it too far.

Speaking for the fans that sit down low coming from experiences. I really don't care if they're jumping up and are excited because of an impressive basket. It's just an honor as a fan to be sitting right behind them.

When I was in Washington recently, a security guard asked Jeff to take a seat because he was stretching out and he said "let me ask" (meaning the fans) and no one had any kind of issue with it.

So it's a dumb rule and if anyone has a problem with players standing up, then they shouldn't be sitting down that low.

They're allowed to jump up because they're excited. They are not allowed to stand up for prolonged periods of time.

cgg
01-13-2010, 01:16 PM

No, I didn't know that. I've sat in the same section for all the Miami games every year, and it was never a problem before. Everyone in the area was upset. Season ticket holders were upset, and they sit there every game!

Since86
01-13-2010, 01:22 PM
If you've sat in the same section every year, then obviously you knew.

It was your choice to sit there. You have the option to sit somewhere else. But you decided to sit there. Take the negatives with the positives.

Don't want to have your view blocked? DON'T SIT THERE!!!!! There is really nothing else either side can say on the matter.

EDIT: And quite frankly, I would rather see my team stand during intense moments. It shows they actually give a damn, and they are emotionally invested in the outcome. You will get a far better product when that's happening.

cgg
01-13-2010, 01:25 PM
If you've sat in the same section every year, then obviously you knew.

It was your choice to sit there. You have the option to sit somewhere else. But you decided to sit there. Take the negatives with the positives.

Don't want to have your view blocked? DON'T SIT THERE!!!!! There is really nothing else either side can say on the matter.

EDIT: And quite frankly, I would rather see my team stand during intense moments. It shows they actually give a damn, and they are emotionally invested in the outcome. You will get a far better product when that's happening.

They've never done it before and they weren't even intense moments. They just stood.

Since86
01-13-2010, 01:30 PM
But you knew the possibility was there.

cgg
01-13-2010, 01:44 PM
But you knew the possibility was there.

I knew the possibility that the entire team would stand the block the view entirely for 1/3 of the game for no reason? I know the possibility of getting shot on my way to the grocery store is there too.

Cherokee
01-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Please take note everyone, this is one argument in which I am not involved. I prefer to sit in front of the TV!

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 01:48 PM
I knew the possibility that the entire team would stand the block the view entirely for 1/3 of the game for no reason? I know the possibility of getting shot on my way to the grocery store is there too.
But you still went to the grocery store.

cgg
01-13-2010, 01:49 PM
But you still went to the grocery store.

And I haven't been shot yet, and I don't take it into consideration before I go.

Bball
01-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Mandate these tickets be marked obstructed view. Discount them or not, club's choice. Let the players get excited and stand if they want.

Problem solved.

Since86
01-13-2010, 01:53 PM

That's a horrible analogy, because you knowingly put yourself in a situation where your view can become blocked at any moment.

Going to the grocery store doesn't knowingly put you in a dangerous situation.

It would be like you eating McDonalds everyday of the week, then complaining about how fatting the food is once you get obese.

Don't want to get fat? Don't eat McDonalds everyday.
Don't want to have your view blocked? Don't sit behind the bench.

EDIT: This is just a ridiculous discussion.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 01:59 PM
EDIT: This is just a ridiculous discussion.
But it looks like you are having a blast. :dance:

cgg
01-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I don't care if its blocked at any moment from incidental standing. I care that it was blocked for 1/3 of the game for no reason. It never happened before and I had no reason to expect it to happen.

Since86
01-13-2010, 02:04 PM
I have a huge time believing it was for a 1/3rd of the game. No player is just going to stand up for the hell of it.

EDIT: I was gonna put it in the original post but I wanted to make sure first.

No player would just stand for no reason, because that can lead to a technical foul. They would be told to sit down by the coaching staff first, or should be, and then the officials next. If not, then they would be given a tech. You're really trying to tell me that NO ONE told them to sit down, or if they did, they didn't comply?

Since86
01-13-2010, 02:06 PM

Well, it's either this or me moving to the SJax scores 43 thread and making snide remarks there.:D

ChicagoJ
01-13-2010, 02:13 PM

I was thinking about making a suggestion to Hicks for a new award this year... the "Ignore this thread" award for the thread that, well, you just wish you had ingored. This might be a nominee.

Well, it's either this or me moving to the SJax scores 43 thread and making snide remarks there.:D

But we actually have two of them today.

;)

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 02:17 PM
I was thinking about making a suggestion to Hicks for a new award this year... the "Ignore this thread" award for the thread that, well, you just wish you had ingored. This might be a nominee.

But we actually have two of them today.

;)
Sounds like a plan.

Tom White
01-13-2010, 02:31 PM
In essence, maybe. Corporate sponsors support the team, in which support themselves. It's all about getting your name to where many people see it. The fans are important.

Which is why most inside advertising signs are placed up high - so they won't be blocked by the players.

:laugh::D

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Which is why most inside advertising signs are placed up high - so they won't be blocked by the players.

:laugh::D
Rimshot, anyone?

:lol:

cgg
01-13-2010, 02:48 PM
Do they look excited to you? How about the people behind them?

http://www.chrisjgregory.com/pacers.jpg

Since86
01-13-2010, 02:58 PM
lol and it's a 3 pt game with less than 2mins to go.....That's a pretty intense moment.

I notice everyone else in the picture standing as well.

cgg
01-13-2010, 03:01 PM
lol and it's a 3 pt game with less than 2mins to go.....That's a pretty intense moment.

I notice everyone else in the picture standing as well.

Except the people behind them that couldn't see even if they stood up. And they lost by 9 and had been standing for most of the quarter and never sat down even when they couldn't win.

Since86
01-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Sounds like they need better seats then.

cgg
01-13-2010, 03:19 PM
Well the league agrees with me. Enough people complained that they put a rule into place and started fining teams.

Since86
01-13-2010, 03:24 PM
And that rights the argument about it? MLB looked the other way during the steroid era to make a buck. Doesn't make it right.

cgg
01-13-2010, 03:29 PM
My argument isn't wrong. If they sell you tickets then you should see the game. They are making sure that happens now.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
My argument isn't wrong. If they sell you tickets then you should see the game. They are making sure that happens now.
My interpretation of what a ticket does is get you in a seat. What happens from there on is anyone's call. JMO

cgg
01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
My interpretation of what a ticket does is get you in a seat. What happens from there on is anyone's call. JMO

Then why don't they sell tickets to sit there when there isn't a game? Maybe it gets you punched in the face by a player. Maybe they shouldn't have acted on that either.

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Then why don't they sell tickets to sit there when there isn't a game? Maybe it gets you punched in the face by a player. Maybe they shouldn't have acted on that either.
You would assume you'd be going to some sort of event. Why did you get tickets just to sit in a room with nothing?

cgg
01-13-2010, 03:43 PM
You would assume you'd be going to some sort of event. Why did you get tickets just to sit in a room with nothing?

Why would I get tickets to not see a game?

duke dynamite
01-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Why would I get tickets to not see a game?
I don't know, apparently you have been.

Since86
01-13-2010, 03:47 PM

Maybe they should reschedule those games when you have something else going on the same day then.

I mean, you bought the ticket and aren't able to attend. They should be able to insure that you get to see what you paid for.

Tom White
01-13-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't know, apparently you have been.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is just too funny.

From what I have seen of the Miami games, there are plenty of seats to choose from if your view is blocked. Maybe the problem is the same as at Laker games. The fans are afraid the players will stand up and bump them, and the fan spills their Chardonnay.

Tom White
01-13-2010, 04:29 PM
Do they look excited to you? How about the people behind them?

http://www.chrisjgregory.com/pacers.jpg

Wait a minute. Are you the one circled in red? You couldn't see over the players from that seat?

Heck man, you don't need a better seat - You need glasses.

ChicagoJ
01-13-2010, 04:49 PM
The fans are afraid the players will stand up and bump them, and the fan spills their Chardonnay.

I had a wine-and-cheese-and-watch-for-Supermodels-nearby comment ready to go earlier, but decided I didn't want to get caught up in the substance of this thread. Anyway, kudo's.

NuffSaid
01-13-2010, 05:34 PM
I see both sides to this rule. On the one hand, people play big bucks for those seats and expect to see the game without obstruction. Then again, because the benches are so close to the audience, it's nearly impossible for players to remain seated when they get excited and root for their team when performing well on any given play.

Solution: When constructing new arenas move the audience back a few feet and elevate the seating. It's kinda what they do in hockey when the fans are separated by the plexiglass and the ice rink is sunken. Why not do the same for basketball in the future...except for the plexiglass? :confused:

As to the here and now...stupid rule...but I can understand it.

Hicks
01-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks. I had mine first!

Pretty sure 2nd. But whatever.

Slick Pinkham
01-14-2010, 11:56 AM
your playoff seats? http://m2.wnymedia.net/files/2008/07/lucas.jpg

take me out to the ball game...http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2214/2280010248_418925e673.jpg

duke dynamite
01-14-2010, 12:48 PM
Pretty sure 2nd. But whatever.
I dunno...it was mid day when I saw it on Neowin.net. :p