PDA

View Full Version : 3 Keys to a Title

90'sNBARocked
01-12-2010, 02:29 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14959

"The three things that I put up on the board, I said the first thing that you've got to do is defend. I said I can't remember, and yes I'm fairly young at this, but I can't remember a team that did not defend that has won an NBA Championship. That's the biggest thing for me. The second thing is we gotta trust one another. It's a tough word, but myself and Danny Ferry, we kicked this around for a while. Every team that has won an NBA Championship or anybody that has success with a group of people, the one thing that everybody says is that they had chemistry. Chemistry can mean anything. So we define chemistry in one word: trust. The players have to trust us, we have to trust the players, the players have to trust one another and I have to show the players that I trust my coaches. That's why I do a few unique or different things because I always am conscious of trying to get that point across. I don't go into the huddles all the time because I want my players to see that I trust my assistants going in there and giving them whatever information they need to give them. The last thing I put on the board is, and I said this is going to be big. You guys might not realize this now, but we have to have a bunker mentality. I said there's going to be a lot of people out there that want to tear us apart. They're going to come at Shaq, they're going to come at you LeBron, they're going to come at your relationship, they're going to read into it. Not only that, if we lose a few games in a row they're gonna try and splinter us. We cannot hear the noise outside of this locker room. To me that was going to be the hardest thing to overcome especially if we struggled early and I felt we would get hit across the chin a couple of times early on because we just didn't know each other, but it's good for us to lose every once in a while because it brings us down to earth."

I think we really had that last year and somehow have lost it this year. I really wish Obie could read this. Defense Obie wins championships, not 3pt shooting and run and fun style

Hicks
01-12-2010, 02:31 PM
1) Talent
2) Chemistry
3) Desire

90'sNBARocked
01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
1) Talent
2) Chemistry
3) Desire

I agree ,

So in your opinion how many of the three does this current Pacer team have?

d_c
01-12-2010, 02:55 PM
I agree ,

Last year they displayed a good amount of desire and I thought there chemistry was OK (not as much this year).

Hicks
01-12-2010, 02:57 PM
I agree ,

On a 1 to 5 scale (5 best)

Talent? 2 (for now; some of these guys will improve)
Chemistry? 2 (I don't think any one hates each other, but they're far from clicking)
Desire? Hard to say. I mean guys can have it but not show it as obviously as other players. I'm not sure you can truly ever know as a spectator.

90'sNBARocked
01-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Chemistry? 2 (I don't think any one hates each other, but they're far from clicking)
Desire? Hard to say. I mean guys can have it but not show it as obviously as other players. I'm not sure you can truly ever know as a spectator.

Spot on.

Although for the first time this season I saw what I believed to be desire last night.

Talent unfortunatley is low, and chemistry is not great I believe due to Obies sub patterns and lack of reasoning behind them

BillS
01-12-2010, 04:17 PM

I'd give them a 3 for chemistry because a 1 or a 2 requires some level of actual hostility. Certainly since TJ has been benched there doesn't seem to be anyone on the floor unable to stomach playing with someone else on the floor.

Other than that, I think I'd agree, especially that we can't really judge desire. After all, so many people here "know" this team has given up and all of them are mailing it in every night, but how does that explain a comeback like last night?

naptownmenace
01-12-2010, 05:11 PM
"No Rebounds, No Rings." - Pat Riley

The 3 keys are IMHO:

1. Offensive Efficiency

2. Top 5 in overall Defense

3. Top 5 Total Rebounds per game team

If you go back at look at all of the NBA Champions of the past 25 years, they have all had those tangible qualities. Those 3 things are not subjective like "chemistry" or "desire". They are real qualities that can be measured and that every NBA Champion has had for the past 25 years and mabye even further back than that.

ksuttonjr76
01-12-2010, 05:25 PM
The Talent is there, but the coach doesn't know how to use it properly. The Chemistry and Desire is questionable, but IMHO the problems are caused by poor coaching than anything else. Hasn't JOB had 19 different starting lineups this season?

Hicks
01-12-2010, 06:11 PM
I'd give them a 3 for chemistry because a 1 or a 2 requires some level of actual hostility.

If I meant it just in regards to personalities, I would agree, but I'm also factoring in on-the-floor chemistry (the kind that can be bad even if its two best friends playing together).

d_c
01-12-2010, 06:18 PM
The Talent is there, but the coach doesn't know how to use it properly. The Chemistry and Desire is questionable, but IMHO the problems are caused by poor coaching than anything else. Hasn't JOB had 19 different starting lineups this season?

As is currently put together, the talent is there for maybe a 38-42 win team at best.

90'sNBARocked
01-12-2010, 06:37 PM
As is currently put together, the talent is there for maybe a 38-42 win team at best.

I didnt want to hurt felings but yeah talent is Granger possibly Hibbert/Tyler and thats it (as far as legitimate NBA stud talent)

d_c
01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
I didnt want to hurt felings but yeah talent is Granger possibly Hibbert/Tyler and thats it (as far as legitimate NBA stud talent)

That's why I think the complaints about coaching are just a little too much.

Is JOB my ideal coach? No, but the ideal coach isn't going to take the job of coaching this roster. There's not much use in complaining about how the current coach might be misusing a roster full of #8-#12 men.

DaveP63
01-12-2010, 07:07 PM

Yup. Desire across the board, maybe two. Going from a high of 5 for some guys to a 1 for others. Watch the body language.