PDA

View Full Version : Andre Miller and the Blazers Headed for Divorce?

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2010, 01:33 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14927

If you're a fan of the NBA it's quite likely you've already been brought up to speed on the little spat between Portland Trail Blazers head coach Nate McMillan and point guard Andre Miller.

If you haven't yet read the particulars, check out the take of Brian T. Smith of The Columbian. Keep in mind, the argument could be heard through the door at the team's facility and lasted by most accounts a good 30 minutes.

"What the (heck) did I do?" Miller asked McMillan.

Miller said, "I ain't going to take this (stuff)."

Portland's coach later added: "You don't play the way we want to play."

Hey Nate we got a guy who loves to play your way.

Troy meet Nate :)

duke dynamite
01-11-2010, 01:38 PM
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=14927

Hey Nate we got a guy who loves to play your way.

TJ meet Nate :)

Fixed.

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2010, 01:56 PM
Fixed.

Thats cool but maybe we can con Nate into a menage!

Troy and TJ , kinda sexy huh Nate? :)

Los Angeles
01-11-2010, 02:39 PM
Andre Miller has gotten along with everybody he's ever worked with. He's one of the most solid vets in the game. I wanted him so badly. Not because I over rated his ability, but because of how he great he complimented Iggy in Philly. Replace Iggy with Granger and it's a no-brainer. There would be NO surprises. It's an instant match.

:banghead:

I'd trade just any big contract for Miller right now and throw in Price and McBob.

Speed
01-11-2010, 02:42 PM
Miller was good in Phillie, no doubt. And they obviously really really miss him.

However, there were rumblings out of Phillie about Andre that were not very good from a team standpoint. I really can not remember where I read this, but there was something going on that made you think hmmmmm. I can't remember now, so I won't speculate, but I'm certain there were some things out there about him.

Anyone else remember this?

CableKC
01-11-2010, 02:51 PM
Andre Miller has gotten along with everybody he's ever worked with. He's one of the most solid vets in the game. I wanted him so badly. Not because I over rated his ability, but because of how he great he complimented Iggy in Philly. Replace Iggy with Granger and it's a no-brainer. There would be NO surprises. It's an instant match.
If we could move Murphy for an Expiring AND trade ( or buy out ) Ford....I'd do Foster for DreMiller in a second. But if we can't ( at the very least ) move Murphy for an Expiring contract....I wouldn't consider it.

I'd trade just any big contract for Miller right now and throw in Price and McBob.
You posted this part just to p*ss off half the forum ( most notably Seth ) didn't you? :laugh:

Los Angeles
01-11-2010, 03:02 PM
You posted this part just to p*ss off half the forum ( most notably Seth ) didn't you? :laugh:

:darkness:

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2010, 03:35 PM
Miller was good in Phillie, no doubt. And they obviously really really miss him.

However, there were rumblings out of Phillie about Andre that were not very good from a team standpoint. I really can not remember where I read this, but there was something going on that made you think hmmmmm. I can't remember now, so I won't speculate, but I'm certain there were some things out there about him.

Anyone else remember this?

I think it was his personality being very quiet and unasuming. It is commonly assumed that if someone is quiet then they are not a "born leader"

I digress

Anthem
01-11-2010, 03:45 PM
I wonder if they'd take TJ...

I'm with LA. I'd happily trade Foster, TJ, Murphy, or Dunleavy for Andre Miller.

Speed
01-11-2010, 03:57 PM
I've always like Andre Miller's game.

I'm not sure how much he's still that Andre Miller, but he'd likely be the best "true" point guard they've had since Mark Jackson.

It would like compute into wins, just because he'd bring something to the team they don't have (all assuming he'd have something to prove, still a high level of ability, and he's not a closet headcase)

A bunch of ifs, but it's almost a no lose situation, if you consider length and what you are giving up.

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2010, 04:37 PM

I'm with LA. I'd happily trade Foster, TJ, Murphy, or Dunleavy for Andre Miller.

Am I the only one who thinks that TJ, with a different type of coach can actually be a very good player? :eek:

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2010, 04:39 PM

I'm not sure how much he's still that Andre Miller, but he'd likely be the best "true" point guard they've had since Mark Jackson.

It would like compute into wins, just because he'd bring something to the team they don't have (all assuming he'd have something to prove, still a high level of ability, and he's not a closet headcase)

A bunch of ifs, but it's almost a no lose situation, if you consider length and what you are giving up.

Well he cant shoot the 3 so............

wont happen under Obies watch

sportfireman
01-11-2010, 04:53 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that TJ, with a different type of coach can actually be a very good player? :eek:

your not the only one.........TJ is a good player but just not in JOB system.

90'sNBARocked
01-11-2010, 04:55 PM
your not the only one.........TJ is a good player but just not in JOB system.

Thanks, I kind of thought that

Its like Norwitzki is the perfect "obie player"

PaceBalls
01-11-2010, 05:19 PM

So is Kobe, Jordan, Lebron and Garnett. I bet his "system" would work with those guys.

sportfireman
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM

yeah all offense and no defense

Anthem
01-11-2010, 07:10 PM
Oh, sure. He's put up good numbers in other places.

D-BONE
01-11-2010, 07:35 PM

Very good? Dobutful.

Adequate? Maybe.

He's been handed the keys to the team twice already only to be traded out of town having had the keys revoked. Size and lack of 3 pt weapon at that size are both drawbacks. Should be a better defender than he is, IMO, if nothing else playing to his quickness/speed strength in terms of on-ball pressure and passing lanes.

D-BONE
01-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Bringing Miller in with AJ as the backup/apprentice for the next couple years would be a good situation.

avoidingtheclowns
01-11-2010, 08:01 PM

Nate LOVES Steve Blake next to Brandon Roy - a guy that doesn't mind letting Roy create and can spot up and play off-ball. I doubt someone that dominates the ball as much as TJ would be an improvement on Miller.

Two concerns: poor 3pt shooter - that's been mentioned. But he's a defensive liability (though, that hasn't really been the case in Portland thus far). But he'd be a steadying presence at the 1 for us. I wouldn't be disappointed trading for Miller unless it involved Danny or Roy - though I'm not sure how much trading for Miller does for us.

D-BONE
01-11-2010, 08:08 PM
Two concerns: poor 3pt shooter - that's been mentioned. But he's a defensive liability (though, that hasn't really been the case in Portland thus far). But he'd be a steadying presence at the 1 for us. I wouldn't be disappointed trading for Miller unless it involved Danny or Roy - though I'm not sure how much trading for Miller does for us.

Well, if not giving up the DG/RH pieces as you suggest, barring financials, it would definitely upgrade our point position tremendously. If you're expecting DG plus some of these young guys to improve over the next couple years, you might as well give them a legit point to help that along. Add a good draft pick or two and hope there's consistent improvement. It's not going to be an overnight thing regardless of what changes occur over the next couple seasons I don't think.

avoidingtheclowns
01-11-2010, 08:38 PM
Well, if not giving up the DG/RH pieces as you suggest, barring financials, it would definitely upgrade our point position tremendously. If you're expecting DG plus some of these young guys to improve over the next couple years, you might as well give them a legit point to help that along. Add a good draft pick or two and hope there's consistent improvement. It's not going to be an overnight thing regardless of what changes occur over the next couple seasons I don't think.

I should have included "long term" in that sentence. How much does this type of move improve a team, even for this season? Enough for the playoffs or enough to just miss the playoffs yet again? What does it help us build for the future? I think Dre can still run a team at a high level this season but next? Possibly. Beyond that? Financially it appears to be less of a risk than I was originally thinking. Just glancing at Sham, it looks like 2011-2012 isn't (fully?) guaranteed.

vnzla81
01-11-2010, 08:53 PM
so 22 posts and nobody has talk about Millers attitude? he had issues in Philly and now he is having the same issues with the trail blazers, no thanks?:confused:

Los Angeles
01-11-2010, 08:57 PM
so 22 posts and nobody has talk about Millers attitude? he had issues in Philly and now he is having the same issues with the trail blazers, no thanks?:confused:

I have yet to hear any confirmation about "attitude" in Philly. Can you give specific examples?

Los Angeles
01-11-2010, 09:20 PM
...throw in Price ....

OK, I take this part back. ;)

vnzla81
01-11-2010, 09:46 PM
I have yet to hear any confirmation about "attitude" in Philly. Can you give specific examples?

I posted this long time ago but it seems like nobody really cares
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/Andre-Miller-to-the-Knicks-?urn=nba,177228

See, Andre Miller(notes), you got it all wrong.

You're supposed to loaf and go through the motions after you sign a free agent contract at age 33. Not before you sign a new deal. Not in a contract year.

Now, I can understand why you might be taken aback with my sly, smart-alecky opener. 16 points, 6.5 assists and 4.5 rebounds a game hardly seems like taking it easy, especially when you play 82 games. And if you pay attention to PER, which we do, Dre has turned in some of his best two seasons in 2007-08 and 2008-09, at least since his first year in Denver.

And for a guy who turned 33 in the last month of the season, a point guard especially, that's pretty good.

But if you watched the games, man, this guy sure did take plays off. Quarters off, even. It was obvious he was having no fun working for the Philadelphia 76ers in the final year of his contract, and especially interim coach Tony DiLeo, and either he tried to make it as obvious as possible, or he's really bad at not letting things that are completely obvious come off as supremely obvious.

What I'm trying to say is that Miller obviously chose the wrong year to try and take it easy. The rumor now is that he'll take a one-year, $5.8 million deal to play for the Knicks in 2009-10, but it's a clear one-year rental. And how hard is it going to be to bring it every night when you know you won't be back the next season?

If 2008-09 is any indication, for Miller, it's pretty damn hard.

Dre's a tremendous player. An 18.6 PER at his age is fantastic, and it's more than possible that he will sustain or even top that production next season, for any team. But he probably assumed himself a perfect fit for the Portland Trail Blazers, especially with all their cap space; and apparently the Portland Trail Blazers didn't want to know. Whoops.

I can't tell you with any degree of certainty that the league-wide disinterest in Miller has anything to do with what I saw from him last season. It could be an economics thing, or teams may have been turned off by the way he skipped out on his final team meeting with the 76ers following their first round playoff loss to the Orlando Magic last spring.

But it is possible that they saw what I saw. And while I'm not happy that Miller is struggling to find work, it is nice to see a little bit of possible payback in a league where owners still want to trade for Zach Randolph(notes), or pay for Allen Iverson to join your team.

For the Knicks? Miller should be fine. As I pointed out, even with the attitude issues he still came through with terrific production for a team that made the playoffs. And the last time he tossed up a stinkbomb for a team he wanted nothing to do with - his disastrous turn as a Los Angeles Clipper back in 2002-03 - Miller rebounded with a career year as a Denver Nugget the following season, leading them to the postseason even as every mainstream commenter around pinned the resurgence on Carmelo Anthony(notes).

It's just a little funny to me, how this worked out. I expected this guy to destroy things in 2008-09, working for that contract, while turning into a poison pill that some team would swoop up with a regrettable three-year contract this summer. Instead, we got nearly the opposite.

graphic-er
01-11-2010, 09:54 PM
We have AJ Price now, move along, nothing to see up in Portland.

Los Angeles
01-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Sounds like horse hockey. No quotes. No confirmation. No story. Nothing in there but the writer's "observations" about ... what exactly? Gameplay? Body language? I have no idea. The writer says right in there that Miller was hella productive.

"He looks like he's not having fun but boy is he still productive" is not a confirmed attitude problem in my book.

vnzla81
01-11-2010, 10:07 PM
Sounds like horse hockey. No quotes. No confirmation. No story. Nothing in there but the writer's "observations" about ... what exactly? Gameplay? Body language? I have no idea. The writer says right in there that Miller was hella productive.

"He looks like he's not having fun but boy is he still productive" is not a confirmed attitude problem in my book.

you can say the same thing about TJ;) there is more info about your guy:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/01/breaking_news_miller_erupts_at.html

Trail Blazers practice on Thursday was halted nearly 60 minutes into the workout when veteran point guard Andre Miller and coach Nate McMillan engaged in a shouting match that lasted for nearly 30 minutes.

McKeyFan
01-11-2010, 10:10 PM
But he's a defensive liability (though, that hasn't really been the case in Portland thus far).

That threw me.

I thought he was known for good defense.

Los Angeles
01-11-2010, 10:13 PM
you can say the same thing about TJ;) there is more info about your guy:

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2010/01/breaking_news_miller_erupts_at.html

Trail Blazers practice on Thursday was halted nearly 60 minutes into the workout when veteran point guard Andre Miller and coach Nate McMillan engaged in a shouting match that lasted for nearly 30 minutes.

I KNOW ABOUT PORTLAND - unless you have actual information about Philly like the info coming out of Portland, this is the very first incident.

pwee31
01-12-2010, 01:24 AM
Aj Price's play is making me think twice about bringing in a PG.

It's not that I necessarily think he's the answer, but he's been playing really well lately, and adding an Andre Miller would likely send him back to the end of the bench with Watson backing up for the most part

Anthem
01-12-2010, 09:34 AM
Aj Price's play is making me think twice about bringing in a PG.

It's not that I necessarily think he's the answer, but he's been playing really well lately, and adding an Andre Miller would likely send him back to the end of the bench with Watson backing up for the most part
Who should we bring in then? A center? Got Hibbert. A SF? Got Granger. Sure a top-notch PF would be nice, but it's not necessarily realistic. And a PF that's not top-notch is just gonna take development minutes away from McBob/Tyler.

Honestly, I'd like to target a premiere shooting guard. But who knows what we'd have to give up for that.

If we can get Andre for spare parts, we should go for it. Let Andre start and AJ back him up.

Speed
01-12-2010, 09:53 AM
I agree with Anthem.

Shooting Guard would be the ideal position to fill, if you had a choice. You can't approach the draft that way and take a lesser player just because he's a two, but still. The team needs an influx of talent, period.

But if you have an Andre Miller caliber player you can get, you take what you can get.

Mainly, because it's doubtful Earl Watson will be here next year, so you have to look longer term. TJ's not viable, Denier is gone, Luther Head is gone and not playing at the Point. So right now, draft aside, you have AJ Price under contract for next year. This draft looks like one you won't get a point guard with your first round pick where the Pacers will draft.

Plus, if you get Andre Miller you are not likely giving up anything that has an impact in the process. In fact, included Earl Watson would make sense.

It all depends on what you think of Andre Miller the player and Andre Miller the guy who his Phillie team didn't want to pay past a year (even though they desperately needed him), and the Andre Miller who just got into it with his head coach.

I'd wonder what TJ Ford's value is vs. Andre Miller across the league right now?

If Miller comes here, plays well, he could become a commodity. I don't see that happening with TJ under the current circumstances.

The last thing I'll say is I think Earl Watson probably helps AJ Price in his development, I don't have any idea if Andre Miller would. It would be nightmare if you got Andre Miller here and he was actually a detriment to AJ, so maybe you don't take the chance.

90'sNBARocked
01-12-2010, 10:51 AM
We have AJ Price now, move along, nothing to see up in Portland.

No disrespect intended but

How people think we have got the PG of the future , in AJ Price after a few games is mind boggiling to me

Give him time before you crown him or pass judgement. I know we are looking for silver linings in a very clouded season but a couple of games is nothing. Look at Brandon Jennings and how far he has fallen now that teams have gotten a hold of film on him

90'sNBARocked
01-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Who should we bring in then? A center? Got Hibbert. A SF? Got Granger. Sure a top-notch PF would be nice, but it's not necessarily realistic. And a PF that's not top-notch is just gonna take development minutes away from McBob/Tyler.

Honestly, I'd like to target a premiere shooting guard. But who knows what we'd have to give up for that.

If we can get Andre for spare parts, we should go for it. Let Andre start and AJ back him up.

I would humbily cry tears of joy if we somehow got Joe Johnson. He is a complete stud and never ever has had any off court issues

Man he was on fire against Boston last night. I would trade anyone and anything not named Danny Granger or Roy Hibbert

90'sNBARocked
01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
I agree with Anthem.

Shooting Guard would be the ideal position to fill, if you had a choice. You can't approach the draft that way and take a lesser player just because he's a two, but still. The team needs an influx of talent, period.

But if you have an Andre Miller caliber player you can get, you take what you can get.

Mainly, because it's doubtful Earl Watson will be here next year, so you have to look longer term. TJ's not viable, Denier is gone, Luther Head is gone and not playing at the Point. So right now, draft aside, you have AJ Price under contract for next year. This draft looks like one you won't get a point guard with your first round pick where the Pacers will draft.

Plus, if you get Andre Miller you are not likely giving up anything that has an impact in the process. In fact, included Earl Watson would make sense.

It all depends on what you think of Andre Miller the player and Andre Miller the guy who his Phillie team didn't want to pay past a year (even though they desperately needed him), and the Andre Miller who just got into it with his head coach.

I'd wonder what TJ Ford's value is vs. Andre Miller across the league right now?

If Miller comes here, plays well, he could become a commodity. I don't see that happening with TJ under the current circumstances.

The last thing I'll say is I think Earl Watson probably helps AJ Price in his development, I don't have any idea if Andre Miller would. It would be nightmare if you got Andre Miller here and he was actually a detriment to AJ, so maybe you don't take the chance.

Great point man.

I would like to believe that TJ's value is slightly higher due to age 26 vs 33

Naptown_Seth
01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
:darkness:
I will kill you and then Rick roll you, in that order.

I would hate to lose McBob, but I get the "give to get". I'm a big Dre fan myself. But I would never give up Price because he's a lot like Dre in the sense that he's a team-first PG who makes the group better, and he's obviously much younger.

If this was to push into the playoffs this year, sure. But Dre isn't your long term solution and that's the only thing this team needs to be focused on now.

If you can swap TJ for Dre, awesome. Or Dunleavy.

Troy you keep because it's sure looking like he could be the CLE for expiring move the team needs.

I'd be thrilled to wake up and see TJ and Troy moved (as would they) and Dre and Big Z here.

That threw me.

He is. Or was at least. Haven't watched closely in POR.

ps - I do worry about the growing buzz of some attitude issues because that seems out of character. I also thought that buzz started in Philly.

Naptown_Seth
01-12-2010, 11:18 AM
How people think we have got the PG of the future , in AJ Price after a few games is mind boggiling to me
I agree. But as I said above, Dre isn't the PG of the future either.

With Price it's not so much "stop looking, position filled", but rather that we don't need to thrash about in the water looking to find a savior either. That's true for Roy, Rush and IMO McRoberts. I think all 4 of those players will have plenty of guys in the league better than them, so all can be upgraded. That's not the same as having a total void at a position.

Prior to letting Price get out there, and especially after JJack was let go, it seemed like PG was that. I'm not a Tyler believer, most of you aren't McBob believers, so split the difference and say that we all feel that there is something of an empty spot in the big rotation still, but that it looks better than going into last year.

90'sNBARocked
01-12-2010, 11:22 AM

With Price it's not so much "stop looking, position filled", but rather that we don't need to thrash about in the water looking to find a savior either. That's true for Roy, Rush and IMO McRoberts. I think all 4 of those players will have plenty of guys in the league better than them, so all can be upgraded. That's not the same as having a total void at a position.

Prior to letting Price get out there, and especially after JJack was let go, it seemed like PG was that. I'm not a Tyler believer, most of you aren't McBob believers, so split the difference and say that we all feel that there is something of an empty spot in the big rotation still, but that it looks better than going into last year.

I agree that at 33 Andre Miller is not the best option, however if we can get him for someone like Foster or Duns, I would say he would be a great stop gap and also tutor to Price

avoidingtheclowns
01-12-2010, 07:12 PM
That threw me.

He is. Or was at least. Haven't watched closely in POR.

From what I remember of his time in Philly, his on-ball defense was poor and, in general, he seems less mobile than he used to be. I guess that could have been due to injuries instead of age, hating DiLeo or other lurking variables. "Liability" was too strong on my part -- he's not a Nash or Arenas. But I wouldn't say he was known for good defense, either. That leaves somewhere delightfully in between.

Anthem
01-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Sure. But his contract's not bad... no longer than TJ's.

How drunk would we have to get TBTB (The Blazers' Top Brass) to swap TJ for Dre?

jeffg-body
01-13-2010, 12:35 AM
I really like Dre Miller myself. If we could work a TJ and one of our bigs for Dre and filler I would say why not try it. It is pretty obvious that TJ is not the PG of the future and AJ still has a ton to prove that he can be good with extended minutes and be consistent over a period of time. I know Dre is not the PG of the future for here, but he could help groom our young PG's (thinking AJ plus draft pick) for a few years during our rebuilding process. :buttkick:

d_c
01-13-2010, 01:06 AM

How drunk would we have to get TBTB (The Blazers' Top Brass) to swap TJ for Dre?

Pretty drunk. TJ is an even worse fit for the Blazers than Miller.

I think the Blazers would do Foster for Miller, but for the Pacers, it probably won't do much for them outside of lowering their lottery pick. Someone of Miller's age just doesn't fit in with a rebuilding plan.

pwee31
01-13-2010, 05:04 AM
I'm not saying Price is the answer after a couple of games, I'm just saying I would hate to hinder his development and put him back on the bench

Anthem
01-13-2010, 07:59 AM
Pretty drunk. TJ is an even worse fit for the Blazers than Miller.
Really? I was thinking the opposite.

Sure, as a PG he dominates the ball, which is not what they need. But he's done a very good job when playing off the ball, which is what he'd be doing next to Roy.

Andre doesn't really HELP the rebuild, due to his age, but he doesn't hurt it either. He has one season left after this one, so his contract is no longer than TJ's.

ksuttonjr76
01-13-2010, 09:25 AM

No...I think he would be a good player under a different coach. According his bio, he had good careers with each team, but injuries would force him to miss games, then the coaches decide to go with his backup. JOB is the only coach to outright DNP-CD Ford. Ford is a better player in a free-flowing offense with players who don't camp around the 3PT line.

90'sNBARocked
01-13-2010, 10:39 AM

I think that TJ would be a better fit over there because Roy dominates the ball and TJ could almost be more of a chauncy billups type PG

Gamble1
01-13-2010, 12:03 PM
I'm not saying Price is the answer after a couple of games, I'm just saying I would hate to hinder his development and put him back on the bench
If he was the second guy off the bench then that wouldn't hinder his development. Either he learns from a season vet or he learns the hard way. In anycase Miller would be a good fit here from a stability stand point. Everyone would respect him and defer to him in games.

With Miller at the point do you honestly think we would have let so many leads get away like we have this year?

Justin Tyme
01-31-2010, 10:34 AM
KP said recently he had no intention of trading Miller. Miller scored 52 points against the Mavs last night. He's not a player I would have dreamt would score 52 points.

90'sNBARocked
01-31-2010, 01:45 PM
KP said recently he had no intention of trading Miller. Miller scored 52 points against the Mavs last night. He's not a player I would have dreamt would score 52 points.

Dude, who you tellin?

I mean its like Dre Miller got pissed and said watch this!!

WetBob
01-31-2010, 01:52 PM

Giving a team's GM a nickname is ridiculous. I know that its commonly used for Pritchard, so I'm not calling you out, just stating my opinion.

I know "KP," and I can tell you he's easily one of the most egotistical front office men in the league.

Will Galen
01-31-2010, 01:56 PM
I agree with Anthem.

Shooting Guard would be the ideal position to fill, if you had a choice.

We need a PF to go between Hans and Hibbert more than a shooting guard.

I would take Turner with the 2nd pick though and he's a sg. They say he's a Brandon Roy clone.

Justin Tyme
01-31-2010, 07:18 PM
Giving a team's GM a nickname is ridiculous. I know that its commonly used for Pritchard, so I'm not calling you out, just stating my opinion.

I know "KP," and I can tell you he's easily one of the most egotistical front office men in the league.

Congrats on knowing Mr. Pritchard personally. Many players and other NBA people are known by their initials, and it's no means a negative reflection. Why is it ridiculous to refer to a GM by their initials but not JO'B, KG, MJ, etc? I'd love to have a dollar for everytime I have seen Mr. Walsh referred to as DW or Mr. Bird as LB on this forum. I'm sure I could go on a nice cruise with those dollars.